Beady Eye

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Beady Eye

Post by TheWarmth »

I was pulling for Liam, Andy and Gem to do something cool, but the first track they've released, "Bring The Light," is not very good. It's got a sort of Jerry Lee Lewis meets the Kinks vibe to it, which sounds cool on paper, but the lyrics are predicably bad and the goofy female backing vocals don't help. Download it for free, if you dare:

http://www.beadyeyemusic.co.uk/
radioshack
Known user

Re: Beady Eye

Post by radioshack »

TheWarmth wrote:I was pulling for Liam, Andy and Gem to do something cool, but the first track they've released, "Bring The Light," is not very good. It's got a sort of Jerry Lee Lewis meets the Kinks vibe to it, which sounds cool on paper, but the lyrics are predicably bad and the goofy female backing vocals don't help. Download it for free, if you dare:

http://www.beadyeyemusic.co.uk/
I concur, though to be fair it could have been so much worse. The female backing vocals don't work against Liam's at all. He's pretty much transformed into the new Ozzy Osbourne.

Hopefully Noel can make a good solo album. His songs on the last Oasis album were good I felt.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

sounds allright.
if he would have shaved 3 minutes off.
be a track
but it's too long
at the 2 minute mark you have a choon.
let's see what noel can do
a fucking gallagher competition
of pointlessness
genius*
better than most of ashcrofts shit
i give it a 5 out of 10.
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

This is one of the better songs Liam has done, and I like the backing vocals. I still don't think he's going to be able to provide the hooks or the emotion that Noel brings to the table.

That being said, I'd put 80% of Ashcroft ahead of this song. Why Not Nothing is better than this, and would be even more better had he recorded it with Andy Bell and Gem.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

yeah it's OK.. nothing special, but honestly I was expecting worse.

definitely not new ashcroft bad.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I listened to this again on my way home from work and couldn't even make it to the end. This song is horrible!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

It's pretty much a latter-day Oasis b-side on the level of Eyeball Tickler or something disposable like that. I'm fine with b-sides, I don't mind having a Liam throwaway. But I ain't buying an album without the Noel stuff -- it's like if Wings did an album without Paul.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

TheWarmth wrote:I listened to this again on my way home from work and couldn't even make it to the end. This song is horrible!
You've got that right. Horrible!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Sounds like Alan McGee isn't to happy with us:

Alan McGee has hit out at fans for posting negative reviews of Beady Eye's first song 'Bring The Light' online.

"I was on the internet this morning, everybody's judging the band on one tune," he told NME. "How can you do that? Let's hear the album."

He added: "It's a fucking free download. It's too early to fucking say. Think of the talent in that band: Gem [Archer], [Chris] Sharrock, Liam Gallagher, the best frontman there's ever fucking been! And Andy Bell, one of the best guitarists up there with [Jimmy] Page. How can that be a bad band?"

Free download or not, it's the band's debut single and it's coming out on a 7". It should be their very best song, not some bullshit throwaway. Personally, I think the negative comments are totally warranted.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I really like it! On first play it sounds better than anything Oasis have put out in fuckin' years.
Not sure about the wallpaper though... :D
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I played it at a club. The kids danced like crazy. I actually think it's a good pop tune.

So?

M
Design.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

yeah allan mcgee seems to be using it as a chance to promote himself...again.

anyone read tony mccarrol's book?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

BzaInSpace wrote:I really like it! On first play it sounds better than anything Oasis have put out in fuckin' years.
Hmm, gotta disagree here... at the very least, I'd put The Shock of the Lightning, Falling Down, The Turning, Turn Up The Sun, A Bell Will Ring, and Let There Be Love well ahead of the Beady Eye song, even though I do like it.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

it's interesting, not that great though. looking forward to hearing more
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

radioshack wrote:
I concur, though to be fair it could have been so much worse. The female backing vocals don't work against Liam's at all. He's pretty much transformed into the new Ozzy Osbourne.
:lol:

Noel's songs have always been the best. Well, not always, but most of the time. I also liked Andy's and Gem's input in Oasis.
jadams501 wrote: That being said, I'd put 80% of Ashcroft ahead of this song. Why Not Nothing is better than this, and would be even more better had he recorded it with Andy Bell and Gem.
I'd like to hear that. ^^
TheWarmth wrote:Sounds like Alan McGee isn't to happy with us:

Alan McGee has hit out at fans for posting negative reviews of Beady Eye's first song 'Bring The Light' online.

"I was on the internet this morning, everybody's judging the band on one tune," he told NME. "How can you do that? Let's hear the album."

He added: "It's a fucking free download. It's too early to fucking say. Think of the talent in that band: Gem [Archer], [Chris] Sharrock, Liam Gallagher, the best frontman there's ever fucking been! And Andy Bell, one of the best guitarists up there with [Jimmy] Page. How can that be a bad band?"

Free download or not, it's the band's debut single and it's coming out on a 7". It should be their very best song, not some bullshit throwaway. Personally, I think the negative comments are totally warranted.
I think I might disagree with him there, well at least his reasoning. Having good musicians in a band doesn't mean they will be good. Just think of Hurricane #1...
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

As much as I like Andy Bell's guitar work, especially with Ride, to put him in the same league as Jimmy Page is fucking absurd!! :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

:lol: Ha ha ha...class!
McGee still up for ridiculous levels of hype then?
Still, great tune. And all the better for no input from Noel - a genuinely awful singer and a mere hack guitarist... BRING IT!
O P 8
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

BzaInSpace wrote:Still, great tune. And all the better for no input from Noel - a genuinely awful singer and a mere hack guitarist... BRING IT!
GASP! The guy who played the Live Forever solo is a hack? He isn't Johnny Marr but still better than most.

And I think Noel's a far better singer than Liam. Liam has his moments but it's almost always the same snotty sneer that's gotten increasingly cartoonish over the years. Noel's got a certain hangdog charm and always brings out the pathos of a song so much more than Liam. Honestly, I've often wished that Noel had handled all the vocals from the beginning. Looking forward to his solo album.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i used to think Noel's singing sucked but listening to recent output, i think he's improved tremendously
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

"Beady Eye - only the band Oasis could've been!"

I think I may have dug a lot more Oasis tunes if they weren't ruined by the godawful whiny 'hangdog' style of singing from the Older Gallagher. I also still believe his guitar playing is unmemorable and generally insipid across their music. I prefer stuff with a little more verve (sorry) or uniqueness or just a bit of rock n' roll. The guitar solo on 'Live Forever' literally means nothing to me, sorry.

Without Liam that band would have been nothing! Judging on this tune they don't need Noel anyway...

Looking forward to The Beady Eye album! 8)
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

BzaInSpace wrote:"Beady Eye - only the band Oasis could've been!"

Looking forward to The Beady Eye album! 8)

Agreed!

M
Design.
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Fascinating differences of opinion about the Gallagher Brothers.

Liam has always struck me as a boorish thug, with his brother far in the ascendancy in terms of talent and wit.

That Beady Eye single is fucking dreadful. It sounds like it belongs on an Austin Powers soundtrack.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

to me it sounds just like the primals doing their bullshit MOR 'high energy rock n roll' thing. no soul!
noel's record has potential to be something very special. fingers crossed!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I'll always pull for Liam, but this track doesn't do it for me.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

This is not important.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Yoyu can`t possibly judge a band on one track ,It sounds okay to me ,but I still don`t hold out much for this bunch ,but my my ears and mind are always open to be proved wrong ,quite like the piano thing going on ,Jerry Lee Lewis ...kinda ,it swings unlike any Oasis track that springs to mind,reserve judgment.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

moop wrote:to me it sounds just like the primals doing their bullshit MOR 'high energy rock n roll' thing. no soul!
it does seem scream influenced to me as well
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Ads wrote:As much as I like Andy Bell's guitar work, especially with Ride, to put him in the same league as Jimmy Page is fucking absurd!! :roll:
Well, I like both of them almost the same... Although I'd agree that Jimmy Page is very different from Andy Bell. But Andy Bell does play some very awesome guitar... Occasionally. If he doesn't try to sound too much as if he was from the 70s. :lol:
jadams501 wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:Still, great tune. And all the better for no input from Noel - a genuinely awful singer and a mere hack guitarist... BRING IT!
GASP! The guy who played the Live Forever solo is a hack? He isn't Johnny Marr but still better than most.

And I think Noel's a far better singer than Liam. Liam has his moments but it's almost always the same snotty sneer that's gotten increasingly cartoonish over the years. Noel's got a certain hangdog charm and always brings out the pathos of a song so much more than Liam. Honestly, I've often wished that Noel had handled all the vocals from the beginning. Looking forward to his solo album.
Noel is pretty underrated. He is not the most innovative, but you can't completely dismiss him. Although I'd say that he is pretty innovative and some of his tunes are pretty original. And well, I like his guitar play. It is very genuine. Not too much. He is not like David Gilmour. I guess I will never like David Gilmour better than Noel...
burningwheel wrote:i used to think Noel's singing sucked but listening to recent output, i think he's improved tremendously
Agreed. Noel has improved, while Liam has just gotten worse. Gradually. Even when WTSMG was out he already sounded worse than on Definitely Maybe. But that's just what I think...

Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

burningwheel wrote:
moop wrote:to me it sounds just like the primals doing their bullshit MOR 'high energy rock n roll' thing. no soul!
it does seem scream influenced to me as well
That's just what I thought they'd sound like. MOR Primal Scream.

Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

This is trash, and I think you're all insane. Subjectivity's a bitch, I suppose, but i've tried to listen to this three times and been so bored by it i've given up. It's interminable.

Here's some food for thought, though.... Noel has the most potential to make a decent solo record, even though the closest he might get now is 'Sounds like Kinks' than 'Sounds like [insert other canon 60's/70's/80's indie band here]'.

http://thequietus.com/articles/02621-oa ... l-gallager
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i wonder if noel could pull off something like a neil young album

listening to his soundboard recordings from the last of the oasis tours i could see it

if i had a gun
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

SUN-SHEEEINE!

Post by BzaInSpace »

Already There wrote: Noel is pretty underrated. He is not the most innovative, but you can't completely dismiss him.
I can. And I will, and look, I already have done!
Already There wrote: Although I'd say that he is pretty innovative and some of his tunes are pretty original. ...
Now that's insane. Wait, you're being ironic, right?
niamhm wrote:Yoyu (sic) can`t possibly judge a band on one track ...
Aye you can. Particularly if the tune is awesom-o!
Guessed wrote:This is not important.
HA HA HA, correct! The Gallaghers still pull in three plus pages of debate though, and that's a shame.
Why? I can think of least one genuinely amazing, innovative, exciting, sexy new record (ie everything that Noel Gallagher isn't) I've given a frothing post about within the last few months, which didn't even recieve a single fuckin' reply!
The Oasis disease appears to be terminal, sadly...bungling half baked indie-rock garbage masterminded by a coke-addled old troll. I spit on their grave!

Primal Scream, MOR? More insanity! Cheers... :D
O P 8
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

didnt you also post that riot city blues was a perfect album?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

BE-AD-Y

Post by BzaInSpace »

Absolutely Kurious - many, many times in fact.
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't see how Noel's album could possibly be worse than the Beady Eye record. Based on the last couple of Oasis albums, Andy and Gem aren't exactly writing excellent material (Turn Up The Sun, The Nature of Reality, To Be Where There's Life ... none of these are anything special). Liam's songs range from embarrassing (Little James, Ain't Got Nothin', The Boy With The Blues) to passable (Songbird, Soldier On). The only thing he has ever written that I've really enjoyed is I'm Outta Time, which still features an absolutely unnecessary sample of John Lennon and mostly bland lyrics ("Here's a song / It reminds me of when we were young").

Now look at what Noel has done recently: The first four songs on Dig Out Your Soul are all exceptional. Falling Down is fantastic. I don't like Don't Believe The Truth much, but The Importance of Being Idle and Part of the Queue are very good.

Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that will disagree with me, but I maintain that Noel is the real Oasis songwriting talent and I can't wait to hear what he comes up with.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

TheWarmth wrote:Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that will disagree with me, but I maintain that Noel is the real Oasis songwriting talent and I can't wait to hear what he comes up with.
Quite the opposite, I completely agree with you. Anything Noel puts out will piss over Liam from a...Champagne Supernova in the sky (boom tish!).

How can anyone suggest Oasis would have gotten anywhere without Noel? Liam and Bonehead's songbook would have largely sucked. I'm Outta Time is the only good song Liam has written,and it took him around 16 years of being in an active band to write it. Noel's as derivative as everyone says, but Liam's songwriting flaw (every song stretches as far as 'I'm gonna write a song' or 'here's a song' or 'I'm singing this song'....seriously check the lyrics! ) renders him totally redundant. I'd wager that song posted last week was a Gem song. Or if not, a co-write at least.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=315gGpYze8I :D :D :D :D

anyone who releases def maybe, morning glory and can have b-sides strong enough for an album (masterplan) is great, even before you take the wonderful songs on other albums. there are the recordings of noel fronting the band and i really like them. i think he's a better singer than liam and yes latter oasis albums liam's voice has become a caricature but common you can't write off a band 'cos you didn't like the last album or so. by that logic the majority of posters here would say that when amazing grace came out spz were irrelevant and shit and mr spaceman's (what a stupid name) song writing had made him into a caricature of himself. see, it is that dumb. as someone previously posted (mr space i think) oasis take up 3 pages of this message board. bands that have followed- the chilly primates, the heroins and public school don't even have threads started about them which indicates that either a) everyone on here is too old to speak of music (didn't spam jackson say this once?) or b) the new music isn't good enough to warrent time and energy...
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Better than I expected, actually. Liam's songs usually either make me laugh out loud in a bad way or cringe.

Should have left it at about 2 minutes though. Gets badly pants and boring after that.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

BEADY EYE - FIRST UK DATES!

BEADY EYE are thrilled to announce details of their first live UK shows in March 2011.

After releasing their first piece of music - which NME termed an 'event release, the likes of which we haven't seen in aeons' - the band (Liam Gallagher, Gem Archer, Andy Bell and Chris Sharrock) will be giving fans a first live taste of their premiere album in a series of concerts in Glasgow, Manchester & London in March next year, which is proving to be one of the most hotly anticipated live debuts the UK has ever seen.

Supplemented by Matt Jones on keyboards and Jeff Wootton on bass, the group will be performing the following dates:

Thursday 3rd March - Glasgow Barrowland (0844 811 0051)
Friday 4th March - Glasgow Barrowland (0844 811 0051)

Sunday 6th March - Manchester O2 Apollo (08444 777 677)
Monday 7th March - Manchester O2 Apollo (08444 777 677)

Wednesday 9th March - London Troxy (0844 811 0051)
Thursday 10th March - London Troxy (0844 811 0051)

Tickets go on sale at 10am Friday 26th November available through www.beadyeyemusic.com or by phone through the box office numbers supplied.

Buy Online at: www.beadyeyemusic.com

24hr credit card hotline: 0844 811 0051 / 0844 826 2826

Maximum 4 tickets per applicant.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

TheWarmth wrote:I don't see how Noel's album could possibly be worse than the Beady Eye record.

Although I have to admit that I really like Turn Up The Sun... and... Keep The Dream Alive.
TheWarmth wrote: Now look at what Noel has done recently: The first four songs on Dig Out Your Soul are all exceptional. Falling Down is fantastic. I don't like Don't Believe The Truth much, but The Importance of Being Idle and Part of the Queue are very good.
Yeah, those two songs are among the best of DBTT.
TheWarmth wrote: Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that will disagree with me, but I maintain that Noel is the real Oasis songwriting talent and I can't wait to hear what he comes up with.
Same here. Same here.
bunnyben wrote:BEADY EYE - FIRST UK DATES!

BEADY EYE are thrilled to announce details of their first live UK shows in March 2011.
oO March. Now that is early.

burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

let's talk about how shitty the band name is! :D
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Yeah, I wonder how they came up with that one.

MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Sorry but their band name is way more original then most out there.

M
Design.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Already There wrote:Yeah, I wonder how they came up with that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pUQzqky ... r_embedded
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

:D

Proper fuckin' clothes for weejies...

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/edit ... -1.1071052
O P 8
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

BzaInSpace wrote::D

you have to look 'nice' but 'cool' in court...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

moop wrote:
Already There wrote:Yeah, I wonder how they came up with that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pUQzqky ... r_embedded
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

£555 for a parka! :shock: That's an awful lot of Bucky and jellies.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Ahh Sunray, not a trick goes past you...

You're referring to the long length hooded and fully lined leather jacket from the early to mid 90's. The Jelly Jacket!
Brilliant. Only dealers used to have these when I was a lad; there goods concealed in the internal multi pockets.
Marvelous memories.
Usually dealt in 10's or 20's but on the odd occasion you'd get the opportunity for a 50. Big horse mogadon downer not for the faint hearted but usually for those with problems or even those that wanted problems.

I'm getting right into my dog-tooth and hound check these days. Just secured a lurid plum and sky blue lined dog tooth cardigan. It's probably awful but at least it's different. Make the effort and the effort makes you, that's what I have always said.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

here's a clip of a new song, nme will preview the whole thing on boxing day

http://www.nme.com/news/beady-eye/54311

sounds MUCH better than bring the light
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

sunray wrote:

£555 for a parka! :shock: That's an awful lot of Bucky and jellies.
:lol: Jason's Gucci shoes are cheaper than that.
bunnyben wrote:new album feb 28

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/uncut/news/14544#
oO

Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

four letter word is a tune

killer guitar
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, cool guitar tones. I like the trippy wah wah solo at the end. I bet that's Andy Bell.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

TheWarmth wrote:Yeah, cool guitar tones. I like the trippy wah wah solo at the end. I bet that's Andy Bell.
<3

burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

yeah good tune
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

in two minds about this ,sounds obviously like Oasis ,but its loud and rocks in a dad rock sort of way ,think I preferred the earlier, unlike Oasis so much, track. Its safe ground with its psych. ref. points and isn`t going to surprise/scare anybody away ,feels a bit ... pointless?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I know my dad can't play guitar like that!
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

niamhm wrote:in two minds about this ,sounds obviously like Oasis ,but its loud and rocks in a dad rock sort of way ,think I preferred the earlier, unlike Oasis so much, track. Its safe ground with its psych. ref. points and isn`t going to surprise/scare anybody away ,feels a bit ... pointless?
Yeah, well, I still wonder why they decided to start this whole thing anyway. ^^

Cool pic though: http://rocknrolldisgrace.tumblr.com/pho ... amR1qdviez

Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

The 'Four Letter Word Tune' is awful. Only consolation is Liam sounded on form. I was holding out some hope with this when I saw Andy Bell was back on guitar, but its going to take more than a few switch flicks at the end to make me think he is heading back to his early Ride sounds. The lyrics and verses are terrible, and a Bunnymen steal on the chorus too. Thats 2 tunes now, both with weak as piss Gem solos.
Dont get me wrong I want this to be good but its dull as so far, maybe give credit to the first 1 minute and a half of 'Bring The Light' before it runs out of ideas and repeats itself, and not in the way Spacemen made effective.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Fair play if you don't like the song (I still hate "Bring The Light"), but what exactly do you want to hear out of Gem? The solo in the middle of "Four Letter Word" is pretty badass, as far as I'm concerned. It's expertly executed, melodic and has a great tone. He certainly isn't going to go all Steve Vai on it.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

To me its the same solo Oasis banged out for their latter years. Hows about maybe Gem didnt do the solos and Andy put something in there, he was great at that kind of thing with Ride. I am not expecting big fast rocking solos, maybe passages/phrases in the way Bill Ryder Jones did with The Coral, or the interludes that Johnny Marr was great at with The Smiths. Or the way Doggen does with Spiritualized.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I dunno if I want to hear this if it sounds nothing like 'Bring The Light', as to me that is an awesome song, and a late entry for one of THE TUNES OF THE YEAR!

'Bring The Light' is "high energy rock n' roll" (c/o Bobby Gillespie) with a generous pinch of the Berwick.

This new one sounds like it might be a mere Oasis tune. :?
O P 8
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Reminds me of....

E L E C T R I C I T Y

So, in a Duncan Bannatyne style,

four letters..

'Im in'
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

New single, "The Roller," can be heard now: http://oasisnewsroom.live4ever.us/

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Any thoughts on this?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

It starts off sounding like Instant Karma by John Lennon, but then loses its way a bit after that meandering along in an Oasisyish way. I preffered the first track to this, and Four Letter Word also sounds pretty good.