Nowhere: 20th Anniversary Edition

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

Nowhere: 20th Anniversary Edition

Post by toomilk »

Rhino releasing a double-disc version with 40-page booklet on December 21 (hopefully they don't fuck up the track order a la New Order!).

Nowhere: 20th Anniversary Edition:

CD1 (Nowhere and Today Forever):

01 Seagull
02 Kaleidoscope
03 In a Different Place
04 Polar Bear
05 Dreams Burn Down
06 Decay
07 Paralysed
08 Vapour Trail
09 Taste
10 Here and Now
11 Nowhere
12 Unfamiliar
13 Sennen
14 Beneath
15 Today

CD2 (Live at the Roxy, 1991):

01 Polar Bear
02 Seagull
03 Unfamiliar
04 Dreams Burn Down
05 Like a Daydream
06 Vapour Trail
07 In a Different Place
08 Perfect Time
09 Taste
10 Nowhere
11 Chelsea Girl
12 Drive Blind
jadams501
Known user

Re: Nowhere: 20th Anniversary Edition

Post by jadams501 »

I guess as an American fan I'm spoiled since my copy of Nowhere already has the Today Forever EP, and I'm not so big a fan that I'll shell out for the live show alone. I'm surprised they aren't tossing a couple of demos, alternate versions, or outtakes in there.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Scary. At my computer thinking of what to play and for some reason Ride 'Nowhere' sounded good. Then logged onto the SPZ site and saw the post. Freaked me out a bit ... coincidence ?

Well, a lot of the demos/b-sides/alternates can be found in the box set issued a few yrs. ago. I miss those halycon days of Ride ... :cry:
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Sounds good. Only read two days ago that Beady Eye have or are about to release a single... :|

I might get it... All those anniversary editions, The Charlatans also had this special release of their debut this year.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

will definitely be getting this! one of my top 10 albums ever, maybe even top 5.
the packaging sounds lush and the setlist to that live show is top drawer.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I scored the Nowhere double vinyl from Gizmo a few months back :D
I think I feel it coming on
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I have the broadcast of that show.. but only 8 tracks and pretty poor sound for a FM radio show..

probably a bit too expensive for just a live show as my nowhere and today forever are in good conditions
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

scratch wrote:I have the broadcast of that show.. but only 8 tracks and pretty poor sound for a FM radio show..

probably a bit too expensive for just a live show as my nowhere and today forever are in good conditions
your comments had me a little bit worried scratch, but then found this from a Ride forum, this is from Dave Newton who works with the band

the Roxy LA live show has been mixed afresh from multitrack - some of the tracks from that show were available on the Kaleidscope radio promo in the states in 1991 but those mixes were done live from the mixing desk by the radio station that broadcast the gig.

this live disc sounds bloody fantastic (we twisted Alan Moulder's arm to get him involved in the mixing) - even the band and I were really surprised how well it had scrubbed up!

so fingers crossed. guess i'll give the live tracks a listen nearer the time to see if its worth it.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

That's good news. I used to own the promo and wasn't crazy about the sound and eventually got rid of it for a good price.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Was listening to the Live at Reading '92 album from the OX4 boxset on the way into town last night and the version of Nowhere on it is fantastic. It was always one of my Ride live favourites but this version is absolutely first class. Thanks again to Laz and Angelsighs for sharing this. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeh that version of Nowhere is soo epic.. it's like a mad symphony of guitar effects and feedback!!
the outtakes album is kind of mixed but does have some great stuff too- their cover of the Velvets New Age is pretty good and the alt version of In A Different Place is brilliant.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

theirs a version of Nowhere on an EP Ride Live ,a French thing thats fucking awesome really shows the f8ckn racket Ride could kick up back in the day.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the release of this has been delayed a little until Feb.
you can listen to samples of the live tracks here, they sound okay to me. vocals a little high maybe (they never were the greatest singers!!)

http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/ride- ... ry-edition
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

I actually really like Andy Bell's voice.

Thanks for the update. :)

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/150 ... y-edition/

Are they allowed to do this? Don't they know they're blowing The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's cover?!?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

toomilk wrote:http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/150 ... y-edition/

Are they allowed to do this? Don't they know they're blowing The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's cover?!?
eh? i dont get it :?

never thought i'd say this about a pitchfork review but I agree with pretty much everything said there. Nowhere is indeed 'near perfect' and Rides early run of EPs and the album were just superb in quality.
they were definitely more songbased than their peers too (all that glorious noise notwithstanding). I like MBV and all, and i know they were more genuinely experimental but i'd rather listen to Nowhere than Loveless anyday.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:

never thought i'd say this about a pitchfork review but I agree with pretty much everything said there. Nowhere is indeed 'near perfect' and Rides early run of EPs and the album were just superb in quality.
they were definitely more songbased than their peers too (all that glorious noise notwithstanding). I like MBV and all, and i know they were more genuinely experimental but i'd rather listen to Nowhere than Loveless anyday.
I agree with you now, although in 1991/1992 I would have disagreed strongly with you. Nowhere has aged surprisingly well, whereas a lot of the rythm programming/drum treatments on Loveless are so dated as to get in the way of the rest of the album (IMHO of course)
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

have i read it correctly that this is unavailable to those outside the U.S.?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Looks that way. Just been doing a bit of research and can't find any info about this being released in the UK. Bummer :(
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i think u can still order it from the US Rhino site and get it delivered to UK?
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

olan wrote:
angelsighs wrote:

I agree with you now, although in 1991/1992 I would have disagreed strongly with you. Nowhere has aged surprisingly well, whereas a lot of the rythm programming/drum treatments on Loveless are so dated as to get in the way of the rest of the album (IMHO of course)
Maybe I have to wait another twenty years. I have never been a fan of Nowhere as an album. It just never worked right for me. I always found it less accessible than Loveless, but that should never be the basis...

redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ironically, I pulled this album out last Thursday for the first time in awhile and started listening to it again. I log in here and also notice your thread. Maybe great minds think alike?

I was working in a pub in England during the Summer of '92 and befriended a cool dude named Jason who was totally into Shoegaze. He introduced me to Ride, Lush, Curve, Loop, Chapterhouse, MBV, Wonder Stuff etc. In return I turned him on to Funkadelic, early Flaming Lips and several obscure 60's US Psych bands.

Every time I listen to "Nowhere" it takes me back to that summer. I also learned a lot about English culture while working in that pub!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Already There wrote: Maybe I have to wait another twenty years. I have never been a fan of Nowhere as an album. It just never worked right for me. I always found it less accessible than Loveless, but that should never be the basis...
thats interesting. I think most people would find Nowhere more accessible.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

angelsighs wrote:
Already There wrote: Maybe I have to wait another twenty years. I have never been a fan of Nowhere as an album. It just never worked right for me. I always found it less accessible than Loveless, but that should never be the basis...
Really? :lol:

I dunno... there's something really weird about the album. Even though Vapour Trail and Seagull are two of my favourite Ride songs, the album just never did it for me.

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Already There wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
Really? :lol:

I dunno... there's something really weird about the album. Even though Vapour Trail and Seagull are two of my favourite Ride songs, the album just never did it for me.
thats really interesting, it's strange for me to hear of a Ride fan that doesn't like that album.
I think in general the average person would find Loveless less accessible, as although it has poppy melodies they are much more obscured behind the smudgy production. Nowhere also has more concessions to rock dynamics with those big booming drums.

I do quite like Loveless (To Here Knows When in particular is really unique and brilliant) but don't think it deserves the critical gushing it attracts. maybe i'm just not arty enough! :)

I prefer Souvlaki to Loveless too!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I fall into the category of Ride fans that felt every release got slightly worse. The first 2 EPs are magical - the 1st is one of the most outstanding and extraordinary debuts I have ever heard in my life. The next singles were good but I was totally underwhelmed by Nowhere. I kept going to see them live and never felt they ever nailed it properly like some of their contemporaries did. Take Five Thirty - another band who's releases went downhill every time, yet live they were fucking incredible. So much energy, so wild and ferocious - every gig I saw them play was fantastic.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote:I fall into the category of Ride fans that felt every release got slightly worse. The first 2 EPs are magical - the 1st is one of the most outstanding and extraordinary debuts I have ever heard in my life. The next singles were good but I was totally underwhelmed by Nowhere. I kept going to see them live and never felt they ever nailed it properly like some of their contemporaries did. Take Five Thirty - another band who's releases went downhill every time, yet live they were fucking incredible. So much energy, so wild and ferocious - every gig I saw them play was fantastic.
hmm its a bit mad to call Nowhere underwhelming but I guess you're not far off the mark there. the early EPs were brilliant and just as good.
Going Blank Again is really patchy with some tracks I really love and some I really dislike. from there the decline sets in..
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote:
hmm its a bit mad to call Nowhere underwhelming but I guess you're not far off the mark there.
Well I raced out to buy that album on the day of release and was really excited so I think I'm entitled to that opinion. When I listened to it I found it dull and struggled to play it all the way through. That was also the point where Mark G's vocal style (saying 'skoy' instead of 'sky', 'hoigh' instead of 'high') began to grate. I still bought Going Blank Again out of optimism but that didn't cut it either.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Already There wrote:I dunno... there's something really weird about the album. Even though Vapour Trail and Seagull are two of my favourite Ride songs, the album just never did it for me.
I agree with this. There are songs on Nowhere that I've really enjoyed at times, but the album as a whole strikes me as... flat? dull? empty?

I don't know. I really like "Sennen" from the EP, probably my favorite Ride song, but have never consistently gotten into the album. I'll keep listening occasionally to see if it grabs me, though, since so many here with good taste rate it so highly.

To some extent, I feel similarly about Loveless. I really enjoy a lot of the sonic textures, and periodically find that a track or two really speaks to me, but overall find that it's a little too buried in the haze for me to love rather than appreciate.

I'd listen to Souvlaki over those two anyday. Then again, I've always felt that Nick McCabe and Spaceman/Sonic were the true masters of cosmic sound, and that both dominate and transcend the "shoegaze" genre.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Talking of Souvlaki and Slowdive in general, was wondering if this is worth buying?:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Slowdive-Shining- ... 1c173643fb

I've got the first 3 Slowdive EP's on vinyl, but they're in box in my parent's garage and, seeing as I haven't got a turntable, I haven't heard them in ages. The only Slowdive album I have on CD is Just For a Day (original release) so didn't know if this compliation was worth going for or would I be better off trying to get the recent Pygmalion and Souvlaki reissues?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

You'd be better off tracking some of the originals down. I have Souvlaki with the extra disc "blue day" when it came out. I've sold practically everything in my collection at one point or another, including my soul, but not this one. That looks like one of those Cherry Red Reissues...which I've heard are really bad. Prolly read it here somewhere.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

angelsighs wrote: thats really interesting, it's strange for me to hear of a Ride fan that doesn't like that album. I think in general the average person would find Loveless less accessible, as although it has poppy melodies they are much more obscured behind the smudgy production. Nowhere also has more concessions to rock dynamics with those big booming drums.

I do quite like Loveless (To Here Knows When in particular is really unique and brilliant) but don't think it deserves the critical gushing it attracts. maybe i'm just not arty enough! :)
I do like the album, just... Just not as much as Going Blank Again. I am just not overwhelmed by it.

I don't know... I do like my pop music, but Nowhere is just... It's kind of intangible. I want to give it a try though.

I actually get mad at hipsters liking Loveless. :lol: I am not a fan of the critical gushing at all.
runcible wrote: That was also the point where Mark G's vocal style (saying 'skoy' instead of 'sky', 'hoigh' instead of 'high') began to grate.
:lol:
jadams501 wrote: To some extent, I feel similarly about Loveless. I really enjoy a lot of the sonic textures, and periodically find that a track or two really speaks to me, but overall find that it's a little too buried in the haze for me to love rather than appreciate.

I'd listen to Souvlaki over those two anyday. Then again, I've always felt that Nick McCabe and Spaceman/Sonic were the true masters of cosmic sound, and that both dominate and transcend the "shoegaze" genre.
It was really weird, I'd keep slagging MBV off as this hipster band (not to their credit) but when I actually listened to Loveless I was really into it right from the start. I kept listening to it for... over a month on a regular basis. I thought it was really cool. That's a very rare thing for me. The only other albums in my life that did that for me were Definitely Maybe, A Storm In Heaven and... A Northern Soul. And the very first time I listened to "The Stone Roses".

Nick McCabe transcends everything. 8)

The Spacemen are spaced-out. Similarly awesome.

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Minky wrote:You'd be better off tracking some of the originals down. I have Souvlaki with the extra disc "blue day" when it came out. I've sold practically everything in my collection at one point or another, including my soul, but not this one. That looks like one of those Cherry Red Reissues...which I've heard are really bad. Prolly read it here somewhere.
it's actually Just For A Day that has the bonus disc that you could call the equivalent of Blue Day (which collects the early EPs)

the Slowdive albums have been reissued twice- a couple of years ago on Sanctuary then recently on Cherry Red. both have the same extras (apart from, I think Pygmalion which didn't have the extra disc of demos on Sanctuary?)
apparantly the Sanctuary ones while much harder to find have much better mastering. someone on this board said that Cherry Red actually use mp3 to remaster from (?!?)
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

OX4

Still love the song.

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

runcible wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
hmm its a bit mad to call Nowhere underwhelming but I guess you're not far off the mark there.
Well I raced out to buy that album on the day of release and was really excited so I think I'm entitled to that opinion. When I listened to it I found it dull and struggled to play it all the way through. That was also the point where Mark G's vocal style (saying 'skoy' instead of 'sky', 'hoigh' instead of 'high') began to grate. I still bought Going Blank Again out of optimism but that didn't cut it either.

Kind agree ,the first couple of eps were great ,Like A Day Dream is still my fav. Ride track ,and while Nowhere is a good album it underwhelmed on the strenght of what went before ,felt to me like to great eps put together to make an album ,including a couple of fillers ,and the production was a bit flat,maybe the remaster will rectify that ,hope so may buy it for the live cd,but from a sunburst start it was down hill all the way with Ride for me ,with some highlights along the way ,Leave Them All Behind and Birdman spring to mind .
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Like A Daydream is also one of my favourite tracks- it packs so much into 3 minutes

I don't think this new issue has actually been remastered. I think it's the same remaster as the 2001 reissues. that gave it a bit more sparkle and punch but it sounds largely the same. so i think if you didn't like Nowhere originally this isnt going to change your mind. :)

interesting to hear other peoples opinions on the album. I came to it after the fact so I consider Dreams Burn Down/Taste/Here and Nowhere as album tracks rather than EP tracks. maybe when you guys got the 8 tracks only it seemed a bit paltry..
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Nobody has mentioned 'Carnival of Light'. Very different than the EP's and 'Nowhere' but I quite like it for what it is and applaud them for going in a different direction. I also prefer it to 'Going Blank Again'.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

niamhm wrote:
runcible wrote:
angelsighs wrote:

Kind agree ,the first couple of eps were great ,Like A Day Dream is still my fav. Ride track ,and while Nowhere is a good album it underwhelmed on the strenght of what went before ,felt to me like to great eps put together to make an album ,including a couple of fillers ,and the production was a bit flat,maybe the remaster will rectify that ,hope so may buy it for the live cd,but from a sunburst start it was down hill all the way with Ride for me ,with some highlights along the way ,Leave Them All Behind and Birdman spring to mind .
Very much agree about the first 2 EP's (sorry, very late coming to this thread).

The first EP is still my fav release by them. Can remember where I was when I bought it and just picturing the sleeve and the vinyl label in my head now makes my stomach flip for those heady younger days. Drive Blind and Close My Eyes hold wonderful memories for me. The 2nd EP was great (as was the 'daffodils' gig at the ULU) but not as great and then came Nowhere which was another notch down on the greatness measuring stick. I'd seen them live every chance I could leading up to that album (LSE, ULU, T&C on numerous nights) so knew the tracks inside out from a live perspective and then the album itself just seemed a bit underwhelming. I did think it was excellent but I wanted more from it. The EP's that followed drilled home the fact that they'd already peaked, in my eyes anyway. I felt they'd gone too clean sounding. Going Blank Again was purchased on double vinyl but hardly played (loved Leave Them All Behind) and I never saw them live again, but then that era did see me going the way of Screamadelica and into dancE culture in general. I still bought Carnival Of Light which was OK, great in places.

I did actually have Nowhere on my ipod this morning after reading a thread on the DiS site about 'why won't Ride reform'. Seagull sounded amazing but then my tired head wanted something less manic. Will give it another blast later.

Is that Rhino 20th anniversary edition worth it? Would love to have a flick throught the booklet.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

redcloud wrote:Nobody has mentioned 'Carnival of Light'. Very different than the EP's and 'Nowhere' but I quite like it for what it is and applaud them for going in a different direction. I also prefer it to 'Going Blank Again'.
I think we may be the only two on this forum that like Carnival of Light. I have a sweet vinyl copy myself. Awesome stuff. Moonlight Medicine and Birdman are classics.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

No idea this was a Rhino Handmade cd.

http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/ride- ... ry-edition
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote: Moonlight Medicine and Birdman are classics.
Agreed!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

has anyone actually got this yet? I'd love to know what the packaging is like and whether the live show is worth it.
outlier
Known user

Post by outlier »

It definitely sounds different to the last re mastered version. Re mastered twice is a bit strange though...

As for the live set - well worth it. Excellent quality & I haven't heard a gig from so early in their career apart from going to watch them.

Sneaked an upload of Seagull from the set onto you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKXSwD6ZDKc
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

outlier wrote:It definitely sounds different to the last re mastered version. Re mastered twice is a bit strange though...

As for the live set - well worth it. Excellent quality & I haven't heard a gig from so early in their career apart from going to watch them.

Sneaked an upload of Seagull from the set onto you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKXSwD6ZDKc
weird, I wouldn't think that it needs another remaster at all.

Seagull sounding great there, some awesome wah wah work!!
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

redcloud wrote:
TheWarmth wrote: Moonlight Medicine and Birdman are classics.
Agreed!
Indeed. It took me a while to get into the album though.

bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

someone sent me a link to downoad the rare ride stuff but i've lost it with my old harddrive. anyone still have it please?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

you talking about Live at Reading and the outtakes disc? I would upload but my home computer is out of action at the moment.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:you talking about Live at Reading and the outtakes disc? I would upload but my home computer is out of action at the moment.
yes that's the one! ho0w are you?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote:
angelsighs wrote:you talking about Live at Reading and the outtakes disc? I would upload but my home computer is out of action at the moment.
yes that's the one! ho0w are you?
i'm good thanks Ben,
unless some other kind obliges i'll try and upload that stuff when my PC is back in working order

was listening to the Live at Reading album the other day funnily enough- great stuff.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

What was the verdict on the vinyl edition of this? My girlfriend is working over in San Francisco and has aksed if I'd like her to bring me any vinyl back. :D Was thinking of asking for this and maybe one of the Black Angels LP's as they are quite hard to come by or very expensive over here.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

the vinyl edition sounds great. Mind you, I don't know how the original pressing sounds, but it sounds way better than the non-remastered cd. Hope that helps :wink:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Wow... Mrs Shines brought this back from the States for me (along with a Warlocks album) and it sounds much better than the original CD I have of the album, much clearer and everything seems louder in the mix. It was a near thing that I ended up getting it actually....she'd e-mailed me to ask if there were any records I wanted and I'd sent her a list of a couple of Black Angels Records, anything by the Warlocks and the "20th Anniversary" vinyl edition of Nowhere. She went into Amoeba on Haight in San Fran and took the Rhino re-issue of Nowhere up to the counter. She asked the assistant if this was the 20th Anninversary edition and he said that it wasn't as that had only come out on CD. She put the record back as didn't want to bring me back something I already had or wasn't right. She rang me that evening and I told her that it was the one I wanted and "jokingly" said I couldn't believe she'd actually had it in her hand! She was due to get the plane back home the following morning and said there was very little chance of her going back but, unbeknown to me till she got home, she headed back to Amoeba the next day, waited till they opened at 10am and bought it before dashing off to the airport to catch her flight home...what a star! :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

got an email yesterday telling me that Going Blank Again is also getting the deluxe treatment. it's got the original album and then a DVD of the Brixton Academy show, remastered from the original tapes.
would cut and paste the whole email here but it's a bit lengthy. the main gist is:

"GBA20" will have the 14-track Going Blank Again CD as the first disc and the Brixton DVD as the second disc. They will be packaged in a hardback cardboard case with a canvas-style cover and a 36 page booklet full of unseen photos and new sleeve notes written by Joe Clay from The Times, drawn from interviews with each member of the band as well as Alan Moulder.

The first 2000 copies of this 20th Anniversary Edition will be numbered and 50 of these 2000 will be randomly selected to be signed by all four members of the band.

Everyone who pre-orders a copy of GBA20 will get a free WAV or MP3 (320kbps) download of all the live tracks on the Brixton DVD

Alongside this, the band have been working on a series of CD reissues for all their main catalogue albums, namely: "Smile", "Nowhere", "Going Blank Again", "Carnival of Light", "Tarantula" and "OX4_The Best Of".