Screamadelica Remaster!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Re: Screamadelica Remaster!

Post by angelsighs »

interesting debate here. Screamadelica is also my favourite of the bands albums by some distance. one of my favourite songs on there is Damaged though which is surely purely the work of the Scream (via Mick n Keef obviously). it's a gorgeous ballad.

the rest of the catalogue is the very definition of 'inconsistent' for me- very messy and spotty albums with usually at least 3 gems on each. it's frustrating that the band can't seem to put together a solid album cause they are obviously capable of hitting those heights (or are they.. on their own??)

I used to be dead, dead keen on XTRMNR when it came out, but its not aged well i don't think. That chemical brothers remix can get lost. Pills is embarrassing. but i tell you, it has two of the most astonishing Scream tracks on- Blood Money and MBV Arkestra. both awesome free jazz/noise wigouts. but then you could argue the latter is really the work of Kevin Shields.. the debate goes on...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote:OK, Just opened the record again - the booklet is seperate (ie not stapled into the gatefold) just lying within the two records. Same cover as the cd booklet but blown up. You get an extra sentence by James Brown:
(detailed enough for you? ha ha ha!)"This is the band's memories while making it..." which leads on to Bobby and Innes.

It's a big interview - goes on for 8 pages. Just realized there a whole page by Andrew Weatherall! :D

I got mine in monorail for £16 which is good I thought. The missus won't mind! Yet to play the vinyl though...but the red discs look fantastic!
Right then. Got mine thru the door. #983 of 1000 from Amazon for £13.99. Can you do me a favour and check page 8 of your booklet? Mine has some text duplication and I was wondering whether this is the same for all of them or possibly just a few. It's page 8 and the bold text about albums by the Mondays/Roses/BAD II being those default records you'd play when hanging out at that time. That 'question' and the reply from Bobby and Andrew is duplicated again in the very next column! Plus some of the text seems to be in the wrong place. So, is yours the same.

Other than that it's a lovely looking package!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Screamadelica REVENGE!

Post by BzaInSpace »

johnnyboy wrote:....Can you do me a favour and check page 8 of your booklet? Mine has some text duplication and I was wondering whether this is the same for all of them or possibly just a few. It's page 8 and the bold text about albums by the Mondays/Roses/BAD II being those default records you'd play when hanging out at that time. That 'question' and the reply from Bobby and Andrew is duplicated again in the very next column! Plus some of the text seems to be in the wrong place. So, is yours the same.
Johnny... sorry forgot to answer this. Yes, mine does indeed contain the same repeated text. I noticed the night I read it but promptly forgot - probably due to being captivated by the luscious red vinyls...
My guess was this was carried out by Scream propagandaists, as the missing text should state how Screamadelica was created entirely by Andrew Weatherall... :wink:

Seriously - wonder if someone at Sony/BMG noticed?
Or they knew there was gonna be limited number and just went 'fuck it'??

Here's quite a good interview with Bobby - they went through all the original 24 track tapes for the shows, just to see how they did it the first time round! :shock:

http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/podcasts ... m-Podcast/

AND... just noticed this from earlier in the thread...
niamhm wrote:This thread went well hilarious , a few years observing this forum and certain subjects get the natives well agitated, Primal Scream ,The Verve and Flaming Lips spring to mind ,
to see BZa getting his knickers in a twist about criticism of The Scream ,let it slide man ,you show a great show,
you like to put it out to Ashcroft so suck it up man no big deal...
I like to... whaaat? A terrifying suggestion indeed, and most certainly "a big deal". Christ!

Seriously though, I think you'll find I've always been restrained and indeed even kindly to auld Ashcroft! I mean c'mon, I even refused to comment regarding his ludicrous car-crash of a hip-hop album... :D
niamhm wrote:actually enjoying listening to the live box set Screamadelica show the last few days ,great show ,by a great band...
Cool, did you get a signed white edition box set then? How is the sound quality on the live show, and did they remaster the mixes cd or...?
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The live show from that box set is excellent. Great sound, great vibes! Damaged and I'm Losing More are wonderful. HTTS morphs into Don't Call Me Nigger, Whitey and Whole Lotta Love. Slip Inside This House is lysergic. Yeah, it's all good. Haven't got the boxset but did find a rip of this disc online :wink:

Yep, those red vinyls are a delight aren't they! I think someone realised the booklet had an error then thought "ah well, just stick 'em out, those drug addled fools won't notice........."

Still, floating down from the Brixton show last Friday. Stunning night, absolutely stunning. Down the front, pummelled by lights and sound with a huge grin plastered on my face throughout. 15 mins of Higher Than The Sun being a special highlight.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Screamadelica...

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ah thanks Johnny. Will have a look later. Cheers :wink:
johnnyboy wrote: Down the front, pummelled by lights and sound with a huge grin plastered on my face throughout. 15 mins of Higher Than The Sun being a special highlight.
Those gigs were something else weren't they. I was slightly disappointed they didn't do a rock n' roll set - for about 5 minutes or so - until the gig really kicked off! 'Don't Fight It Feel It' - amazing. 'Loaded' with the biggest drum beat in the world. 'Higher Than The Sun' with that mad extended 'Mommy, What's A Funkadelic' section. :lol: Fucking hell yeah!

I kinda fought my to the front (politely though!) and was definitely shaken and stirred by the epic take of 'Come Together'. A lot of the night exists for me in extended flashbacks... but I vividly remember looking around during 'Come Together' and seeing a lot of really happy people (and a sea of hands!!!) under the bright lights. Strange and beautiful!
Despite the impersonal size of the venue it didn't feel that big at times, and to bring everyone there together and get them up is quite a feat.

'Mon the Scream... :D
O P 8
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

niamhm wrote:pretty sure thats my first Scream show ,a strawberry night ,good memories.
ha just noticed this....good times. did you ever have the 'double dip' variety? can anyone still get hold of any?!?!?
johnnyboy
Known user

Re: Screamadelica...

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote:Ah thanks Johnny. Will have a look later. Cheers :wink:
johnnyboy wrote: Down the front, pummelled by lights and sound with a huge grin plastered on my face throughout. 15 mins of Higher Than The Sun being a special highlight.
Those gigs were something else weren't they. I was slightly disappointed they didn't do a rock n' roll set - for about 5 minutes or so - until the gig really kicked off! 'Don't Fight It Feel It' - amazing. 'Loaded' with the biggest drum beat in the world. 'Higher Than The Sun' with that mad extended 'Mommy, What's A Funkadelic' section. :lol: Fucking hell yeah!

I kinda fought my to the front (politely though!) and was definitely shaken and stirred by the epic take of 'Come Together'. A lot of the night exists for me in extended flashbacks... but I vividly remember looking around during 'Come Together' and seeing a lot of really happy people (and a sea of hands!!!) under the bright lights. Strange and beautiful!
Despite the impersonal size of the venue it didn't feel that big at times, and to bring everyone there together and get them up is quite a feat.

'Mon the Scream... :D
Let me know if you have trouble tracking it down. I got mine via Moggieboy on a link at the webadelica site. I can drop you a cd copy if you have trouble.

Friday was my first tipple of booze since NYE. Then dived head first into a psychedelic night of euphoria by dipping my little pinky into a bag of my friends finest mandy powder. It was extraordinary and mindblowing. Loved every second of that gig and night in general. That Funkadelic riff, oh man oh man. That'll stay with me forever. Words can't describe what they did during HTTS. Come Together too. Really want to see it again but can't afford the cost of a festival to do so.

Will be interesting to see where they take the experience of doing these shows when it comes to doing their next album. Not sure there next live shows will be able to touch it to be honest.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

What is Mandy Powder?
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

jadams501 wrote:What is Mandy Powder?
M*D*M*A

Some fine upstanding Scottish bloke I know calls it 'mandy'. It's kind of stuck.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Heh heh heh. Well, it was that kinda night. I too hadn't had any drinks since New Year so it seemed like a fitting evening to fall...or dive headlong with absolute abandon off the wagon. Braw!

(Buckfast(!), Sambuca, Vodka... and many others. Somehow that potentially lethal combo worked wonders at the gig...)

Thanks too for the advice Johnny - Moggieboy does it again! :D

Listening to this just now, sounds excellent! Tracklisting looks cracking... 'No Fun' and 'Cold Turkey'?

:shock:
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Cool, did you get a signed white edition box set then? How is the sound quality on the live show, and did they remaster the mixes cd or...?
no ,to dear for me ,came from the same download as Johhnyboy, its a great recording/record off the times.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Screamadelica for Belfast in August: http://www.belsonic.com/

Considering the only other Irish appearance is the fucking awful Oxegen festival, where they're way down the bill too, think i'll make the trip North.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well, I do love this record. But no way could I pop for that huge box set. I opted for the RSD 2011 red vinyl triple vinyl and the single CD. Piccadilly still have some of the triple vinyl. They screwed up one of my orders and offered me a 15% discount by way of apology.
Really looking forward to this.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
nimatiks
Known user

Post by nimatiks »

looking forward to see them perform this album live... Although, I much prefer "xtrmntr" and "evil heat" era Primal Scream...
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

The Dixies Narco EP sounds great. The bass on the track Screamadelica finally makes itself heard. There have been so many botched remastered releases (New Order, anyone?) That's it's refereshing to see a job well done.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just picked up the remastered CD. Sounds pretty good haven't picked up on any previously hidden nuances yet. It's getting late; my stereo is not bumping it.

Thanks for that link! I haven't seen that before. I hope it's narrated by Bobby G.

"Screamadelica was the best record of the 90s. I was there. It was fucking incredible."
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Should probably post this in gigs but didn't feel the need to start a new thread for one gig.

Screamadelica in Belfast Friday night, hate to say it as i absolutely love this band but, that was the worse gig i've seen them do since the "Give Out.." tour in 1994. :( Apart from Higher Than The Sun (which was excellent with the Funkadelic riff ) the whole gig just seemed flat. Wasn't loud enough for starters, although that could've been my ears at fault there, and the crowd and the band seemed un-interested, though to be fair Bobby was trying to get some kind of party going. Also they didn't play Shine Like Stars!!! :evil: Same encore as everywhere else: Country Girl, Jailbird and Rocks and they all seemed lifeless to me.

Didn't make it into the after party with Weatherall afterwards and to be honest i was glad we didn't as i was completely deflated from what i'd just witnessed.

Next time i see them i really hope they can live up to the billing of Greatest Rock n Roll Band In The World, a billing that for the past 15 years or so i would thoroughly agree with.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Did anyone get the box set/can multiple cd, dvd, postcard, book, lps thingy? Never heard any reviews of it. Anyone care to review it? Is it worth it?
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Yes. Decent enough stuff, although the main thought I had was that the t-shirt (large) wasn't large enough....

So, yes, spent the cash, happy enough to have, but considering it's one of my favourite ever albums just a touch underwhelmed
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

The live gig cd in the box set is very good and well worth having. They were really on form the night it was recorded. Also, you get all the single remixes from the period. The vinyl isn't protected by much which is a bit daft.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

angelsighs wrote: I used to be dead, dead keen on XTRMNR when it came out, but its not aged well i don't think. That chemical brothers remix can get lost. Pills is embarrassing. but i tell you, it has two of the most astonishing Scream tracks on- Blood Money and MBV Arkestra. both awesome free jazz/noise wigouts. but then you could argue the latter is really the work of Kevin Shields.. the debate goes on...
DISAGREE! XTRMNTR is the shit. I think it has aged quite well. I know a lot of people don't like "Pills," but I really dig it. Evil Heat hasn't really aged well, IMO. There is too much of an industrial vibe on that album.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Been mulling this over, such a great record what to do what to do :?:
'Remember, change is not good'
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I was thinking about getting the 3xLP version that Spzretent bought, but then I realized that the third record is just the Dixie Narco EP and I already have an original copy of that. Not sure it'd be worth it. Is there a nice 2xLP of the remastered Screamadelica available?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

spzretent wrote:Did anyone get the box set/can multiple cd, dvd, postcard, book, lps thingy? Never heard any reviews of it. Anyone care to review it? Is it worth it?
Well, it was going for £50 in the latter months of 2011 on amazon, but I still passed on it. OK, I already had the remastered CD and vinyl editions anyway an didn't feel - IMO - there was enough 'purchase incentive'... as I mention earlier in this thread I wasn't particularly bothered about all the various contemporary remixes, I would have liked to have seen a few discs of demos and alt. versions a la the Ladies and gentlemen... box set. There are definitely some out there, one of the Vanishing Point singles had an early/original take of 'Higher Than The Sun', and there is an earlier take of 'Shine Like Stars' out there which the Orb had worked on - it's fantastic. Very different from the final LP version though - hip hop beats and a choir. There was a great tale from Weatherall about why the finished version was so spare and fragile sounding on the Screamadelica documentary...
TheWarmth wrote:I was thinking about getting the 3xLP version that Spzretent bought, but then I realized that the third record is just the Dixie Narco EP and I already have an original copy of that. Not sure it'd be worth it. Is there a nice 2xLP of the remastered Screamadelica available?
Not sure about worldwide but there was an edition out of 1000 available in the UK - nice red vinyl and sounds amazing.
Here it is on amazon uk (wrong sleeve photo though)... but for more than double what I paid for it out of monorail records the day after the The Scream killed Glasgow SECC... :wink:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Screamadelica-b ... 006&sr=1-1
TheWarmth wrote: XTRMNTR is the shit. I think it has aged quite well. I know a lot of people don't like "Pills," but I really dig it. Evil Heat hasn't really aged well, IMO. There is too much of an industrial vibe on that album.
Really? I believe after a decade (more or less) to digest both records that Evil Heat is actually better... only slightly then, but there was a point I went off XTRMNTR for a bit, listened to it at the wrong time and place really, and it was... gruelling.
I would also say that XTRMNTR has a far more heavy/machine-like/Philip K. Dick "Total Paranoia Is Total Awareness" vibe than Evil Heat, which to me is crazy bubblegum pop meets electro beats and frazzled guitars.

Ultimately, any album that has 'MBV Arkestra', 'Accelerator', 'Kill All Hippies' (and the rest) on it is gonna be fantastic, but there's something I really like about the Evil Heat strange-and-brutal production, a weird mixture of rough and smooth, K Shield's 'skunk guitar' and bizarre trebley mix... it's like the best and maddest set of demos you ever heard. And it has the legendary 'Skull X' on it... respect.

There is also some other cool news I've read about The Scream which I'll post seperately...
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I saw the RSD 2011 version at Crash when I was in Leeds for 35 quid. 180 gram red vinyl + Dixie Narco ep. That was in July though. Actually Piccadilly still have it for the same price and they deduct the tax. I think that particular version is amazing and worth it.
Last night I was listening to several remastered 180 gram lps and once again how the Stones continually get this wrong really pisses me off. What good is pressing something on heavier vinyl if the recording isn't any better? I listened to Beggars Banquet and there was no discernable difference. Contrast that with the Neil Young Archives box I stumped up for and the difference is amazing. It is the first 4 Neil Young records pressed on 180 gram vinyl. The pressings/recordings are amazing, the covers are amazing and the box is nice. Some of those Mobile Fidelity records are amazing too. Heaven Up Here, Little Feat Sailin' Shoes, Beck Sea Change. It really makes for an incredible audio experience.
I would also toss the Screamadelica remastered vinyl in that category. Really amazing sonically.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

just to clarify.... did they produce a limited run of a 1000 double red vinyl remasters with the Dixie Narco EP for Record store day along with another limited edition run of remastered vinyl without the Dixie Narco EP? I'm getting a bit confused but would be interested in getting either of these at the right price, especially as I don't own the original album on vinyl.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

A double red vinyl issue (1,000) was released when the re-master was released. Then a double red / back dixie-narco set was released for RSD.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I was thinking of getting this on E-Bay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Primal-Scream ... 2318af6d76

I asked the buyer if the sticker on the record mentions anything about the Dixie Narco EP as he was advertising it as the RSD release but he said there was nothing on there that would indicate that it was included. This would lead me to believe that this wasn't the double red vinyl that was released as part of RSD 2011. I'm still tempted though as haven't seen the double red vinyl remaster anywhere else any cheaper.... unless someone on here knows otherwise?

By the way, if anyone is still interested in the whole box set gubbins, there's one going a bit "cheaper" than normal on E-Bay at the mo:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Primal-Scream ... 43ac7c0896

.... or there's this one going for auction, though its still early days:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Primal-Scream ... 43ac7c0896
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Shinesalight wrote:I asked the buyer if the sticker on the record mentions anything about the Dixie Narco EP as he was advertising it as the RSD release but he said there was nothing on there that would indicate that it was included. This would lead me to believe that this wasn't the double red vinyl that was released as part of RSD 2011...
To be honest Ads that guy is incorrect as advertising this that particular copy of the album as anything to with 'Record Store Day' as it's one of the 1000 released as part of the initial remaster/reissue program - in other words this will not include the Dixie Narco EP. (See PopeJez's concise explanation above)

However, I think this is a very good price for this - enlarging the image means you can even see the numbered edition you are getting! I don't think the RSD issue was numbered either so I'd go for it - excellent booklet inside and as mentioned throughout this thread it sounds absolutely amazing!
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am listening to this LP right now. This really is a beautiful package. The embossed sleeve is a nice touch. The booklet is great. The pressing is gorgeous.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Cheers for all the info chaps. I've finally bitten the bullet and purchase it. There were other copies of exactly the same record going for more than double this price and the RSD copies with the Dixie Narco EP were at least another £20 dearer. So, what with being unempoloyed for the last 4 weeks or so, economic constraints had to come into play. Still, very much looking forward to hearing this.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:DISAGREE! XTRMNTR is the shit. I think it has aged quite well. I know a lot of people don't like "Pills," but I really dig it. Evil Heat hasn't really aged well, IMO. There is too much of an industrial vibe on that album.
I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong, and sure enough been listening to XTRMNTR again recently and it's gone back up in my estimations. definitely their second best after Screamadelica. couple of dodgy moments on there, including, yes, Pills, and I've even gone off Swastika Eyes a bit. but that's the only bad news really. even the token ballad Keep Your Dreams, is lovely and otherworldly.

Evil Heat is the very definition of patchy in my opinion. some awesome moments on there such as Skull X and Autobahn 66 (great slice of krautrock there, but it almost sounds like it belongs on a different album) but some abosulte shite too. Some Velvet Morning is an abomination.
I even find Vanishing Point patchy too...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

That would be a result Spzretent, but having checked some Google images of the RSD version, it appears they have "3LP" and "2 x red 180g vinyl plus a 180g Dixie Narco EP" written on the sticker as per the image here:-

http://www.popsike.com/Primal-Scream-Sc ... 81285.html

Fingers crossed though. I'm sure I'm going to love it anyway but I'm never lucky with stuff like that :cry:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Turned up today and, as expected, its not the RSD issue with the Dixie Narco EP. Still, none-the-less, I'm really pleased that I've got this at a fair price.... and it sounds incredible. :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am listening to this Lp right now while watching my baseball team get the shit kicked out of them again. This record is making this all ok.
Playing Screamadelica just makes everything so much better.
Quite a feat Primal Scream pulled off with this record.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Your post made me re-read this one... it feels like a lifetime ago that I started it!

The life events that have occurred since then are unbelievable. If nothing else a reminder that life is truly precious!

Anyway, reading this thread through is a strange mixture of hilarity and melancholy - I wish I still had the time I did back then to get seriously engrossed in musical debates and such.

Some classic counter-arguments from Runcible and I... :lol:
O P 8
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The big revelation in this thread is ononist's fondness for toffee crisps.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

A decade on - what the hell? - and now it’s the 30th anniversary of the 3rd best Primal Scream album.

😂

Seriously though - where did that ten years go?

(And not really - there has been times when that album totally destroyed me etc and it shines on forever)

https://store.primalscream.net/?utm_sou ... madelica30
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The demos are of particular interest to me TBH
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Demodelica album for myself as well, along with the Utopian Ashes album, the Live At Levitation release and the autobiography, a fair hive of activity
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

You missed a few things. riot city blues expanded rsd and Dixie narco rsd and Memphis tapes triple vinyl

Expensive year to be a scream fan
niamhm wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:14 pm Demodelica album for myself as well, along with the Utopian Ashes album, the Live At Levitation release and the autobiography, a fair hive of activity
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I pre-ordered Demodelica from Piccadilly. Love that shop. They take of the VAT for orders outside of UK.
Assuming this will only be released in the UK and it looks to be limited. Is that correct. I saw Resident is limiting to 1 per customer.
Anyone have more info on the limited availability?
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

I saw that too. I'm not sure its that ltd. I haven't seen that anywhere else
spzretent wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:02 am I pre-ordered Demodelica from Piccadilly. Love that shop. They take of the VAT for orders outside of UK.
Assuming this will only be released in the UK and it looks to be limited. Is that correct. I saw Resident is limiting to 1 per customer.
Anyone have more info on the limited availability?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Thanks to BVCP 206 for alerting me to this…

https://youtu.be/zh46_OGXX_8

Epic Weatherall version. It’s awesome, massive bass and a choir. Love hearing this in a different way. There was an Orb remix which had way more hip-hop beats I heard many years ago somewhere… this is way better.

However - I’m kinda glad they ended the album with the spare & fragile version they used in the end.

Apparently Weatherall went to some Greek island (?) and got “delayed” in getting back to finish his final version, and that suited his mindset at the time.

Perfect
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Heard it a few times the past couple of days Bza, I`m going to say I like it, not to keen on the intro, sounds jarring compared to what I`m used to but once it gets going I`m digging it 8)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Bass line at the start reminded me of Kowalski. It's not bad but i prefer the original.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Deleted. Double post.
Last edited by sunray on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Listening to Demodelica today. Better than i was expecting, with Come Together being the highlight for me.
The percussion on Movin' On Up reminded me of Give Peace A Chance. Don't Fight It... sounding very much of its time, so not sure if it gets a thumbs up from me.
An interesting exercise but i suspect it'll be given a couple more listens and then never returned to.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:58 pm Listening to Demodelica today. Better than i was expecting, with Come Together being the highlight for me.
The percussion on Movin' On Up reminded me of Give Peace A Chance. Don't Fight It... sounding very much of its time, so not sure if it gets a thumbs up from me.
An interesting exercise but i suspect it'll be given a couple more listens and then never returned to.
This is pretty much my take on it. The demos are interesting enough but are nowhere nearly as interesting as the recordings on Give Out But Don't Give Up (The Original Memphis Recordings). The impact of AW in the producer's seat clearly helped things along considerably although it was by no means a one man show.