Screamadelica Remaster!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Screamadelica Remaster!

Post by BzaInSpace »

Check this out - super deluxe edition looks very nice indeed...

http://screamadelica20.com/gb/home/

And the words that really cheer me up - royal wedding be damned!

"Remastered by Primal Scream & Kevin Shields"

:D :D :D

(Would have probably argued I don't think it really needs remastered, but now Shields in on it...)
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: Screamadelica Remaster!

Post by MODLAB »

Nice Find Barry.

Sent the link to my wife. Fingers crossed.

:)

M
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

You better hope Gillespie`s got a gun in Sheilds back or it may never see the light of day if the remaster of his own albums is anything to go buy,
the Collectors edition looks nice ,but I don`t have money to burn (f8ckin` car/garage has seen to that one) £105 is a bit steep.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I just heard Loaded in a cell phone commercial the other day, so maybe the stars have aligned.

I agree it looks pretty expensive for what it is, but maybe if I see it on sale they'll persuade me.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

That is a pretty impressive collectors edition. Admitedly I haven't got £105 to throw at this but, when you compare it to the recent L & G collectors edition you are getting a lot more for your money and its £20 cheaper. Imagine if we'd have only had to pay £105 for double vinyl, remastered CD, live CD, T-Shirt, book, EP, slip mat, nice box and signed by the band. I'd kind of feel a bit conned if I'd have bought the L & G collectors then saw this to be honest.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

some sites ie NME reported that weatherall helped with the remaster as well but the sony press release i got didn't mention this. only the first 100 orders of the white one are signed

www.theprimalscream.com/news
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Ads wrote:That is a pretty impressive collectors edition. Admitedly I haven't got £105 to throw at this but, when you compare it to the recent L & G collectors edition you are getting a lot more for your money and its £20 cheaper. Imagine if we'd have only had to pay £105 for double vinyl, remastered CD, live CD, T-Shirt, book, EP, slip mat, nice box and signed by the band. I'd kind of feel a bit conned if I'd have bought the L & G collectors then saw this to be honest.
...and a dvd. The Screamadelica VHS has been given the dvd treatment and popped in the package too. I'm job hunting and worried about cash but just had to pre-order one for my collection. I'd regret it big time if they all sold out and I didn't have one. £99 from Play.com, inc p&p. According to the man in the know there's only 5000 being made. Go grab a slice of musical history!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Really nice looking set but also a lot of cashish! If they threw Ms. Moss in the box, it'd be a buy.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its right in the ballpark w/everything else. Elevators, Exile, N Young Lp box. All around the $150 mark. And you get more with this(except the Elevators). If you like it and have some spare cash its gotta be worth it. It looks really cool in the tin too.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Once you get over the initial shock of £105 it actually looks good value.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Minky wrote:Really nice looking set but also a lot of cashish! If they threw Ms. Moss in the box, it'd be a buy.

How about sharing ;)

I'll opt for the normal re-master on vinyl.

M
Design.
Malingo7
Known user

Post by Malingo7 »

mmmm christmas pressie!!!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'll try and persuade my girlfriend to buy it for me as a combined christmas/birthday present and forego any gift in February. Fingers crossed!

Fridays gig will be broadcast here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w4kck
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

Hey guys!

what do you think about these super deluxe editions? LAGWAFIS, The 13th Floor Elevators
Sign Of The 3 Eyed Men
, Screamadelica, … ? I’d like to buy all of these because I love the cover packaging of the cds and the different versions of the songs.

In the past I was employee in a big pharmaceutical company and I worked on the leaflets, the packaging and all the other things of the medicines…so I’m mentally ill for this kind of thinks..and LAGWAFIS respected all the legal conditions fixed by the Departement of Health.
What do you think, what will be the next deluxe edition?

I don’t have enough money… :cry:

Fede77
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It's getting a bit much for me. I want to buy the new Eno album on vinyl, but the only option costs over $100 and I'm just not willing to pay that for what amounts to less than an hour of music and a bunch of extra, non-music bullshit that I don't need (fancy packaging and a lithograph or something). The Screamadelica one does look really nice, though, and I could see shelling out for it. I'd put it on my Christmas list, but I'm hoping for the Bowie Station To Station one, which I think I would wind up enjoying more. Hopefully, the remaster of Screamdelica will wind up coming out on a reasonably priced 2xLP without all the extras.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

My girlfriend ordered one of the white ones for me last Thursday. What a wonderful woman. :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

anyone got any idea what the setlist for that Live 91 disc is?

this is pretty expensive but you are getting a lot for your dosh. always wanted to hear the Dixie Narco EP.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

The Dixie Narco ep is stunning. One of the best things the Scream have released. Can't wait for this remaster!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

angelsighs wrote:anyone got any idea what the setlist for that Live 91 disc is?

this is pretty expensive but you are getting a lot for your dosh. always wanted to hear the Dixie Narco EP.
If you want to hear the Dixie Narco EP then it's easily available and probably about £95 cheaper than the box set itself :wink:

I saw them back in 91 on the original tour in the UK and they played pretty much all of these (I think) Loaded, Higher Than The Sun (morphing into all sorts and inc Sly Stones Don't Call Me Nigger Whitey), Don't Fight It Feel It, Cold Turkey, I'm Losing More, Movin On Up, Slip Inside This House, Come Together.....maybe Damaged......and depending on the night something like Personality Crisis, No Fun. Will be interesting to see what's on the disc for sure. Great memories......
hairy
Known user

Post by hairy »

I found this on ebay, the vinyl remaster only for £20 on red vinyl

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRIMAL-SCREAM-SCR ... 2560cb5a00

but I cant find anything more about it on the screamadelica 20 site.

I was considering getting the box set, mainly for the vinyl, but obviously prefer the price of this.

Anyone know anything more about this release?
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Slightly disappointed the American Spring Mix isn't on any of the more regular editions; one of the most awesome slabs of music they ever did and definitely deserving of a wider audience.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

That set looks amazing, I usually save my ££££'s for SP3 nuggets but could be tempted with this :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

hairy wrote:I found this on ebay, the vinyl remaster only for £20 on red vinyl

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRIMAL-SCREAM-SCR ... 2560cb5a00

but I cant find anything more about it on the screamadelica 20 site.

I was considering getting the box set, mainly for the vinyl, but obviously prefer the price of this.

Anyone know anything more about this release?
From the Sony CMG site:
Vinyl Edition
Double Heavy Weight RED Gatefold Vinyl – Original Album, re-mastered.
Plus 16 page 12” booklet with unseen images and interviews with the band.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Got an email last night, I managed to get one of the white signed copies :D

Post by beaker73 »

Sim wrote:Got an email last night, I managed to get one of the white signed copies :D
Yep, me too! I'm well chuffed! :D
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Very cool indeed, there's only a 100 like that, right? I do hope Weatherall signs them too!

I opted out of getting one of the boxes purely for finances at the moment, although it looks like a great package and I think is a fair price for the stash. Would rather they used outtakes (although likely non exist) or something rather than the remixes most of which I have - and not all are essential to me. Great the Dixie-Narco EP is gonna be included though. Beautiful!

Gonna settle for the double CD version for the moment - and can't wait to hear what Kevin Shields brings to the table!

Incidentally last weeks NME had a Screamadelica cover and a surprisingly entertaining and knowledgable feature on the making of. Interviews with most of the players including Audrey Witherspoon and some great tales... "it's a speed album!"
I'll be first to slag of NME but I would put that cover and story up there with the feature on Spiritualized prior to the release of Ladies and gentlemen... that got me into this whole damn thing in the first place!!!

There was also a primer on the mighty Royal Trux recently so kudos to them. Still too many electro-guitar-pop indie bands, featuring awkward looking bearded fellas with angular haircuts and cardies right enough though. :roll:
O P 8
hairy
Known user

Post by hairy »

Found the double vinyl on HMV for £13.99 along with the Loveless remaster vinyl for £11.99 :)
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

hairy wrote:along with the Loveless remaster vinyl for £11.99 :)
So is this definitely going to be released? HMV says mid March, Amazon mid-May. Appears to be an ever shifting release date.

Also, is the vinyl the analogue tape remaster?

Post by hairy »

Sim wrote:
hairy wrote:along with the Loveless remaster vinyl for £11.99 :)
So is this definitely going to be released? HMV says mid March, Amazon mid-May. Appears to be an ever shifting release date.

Also, is the vinyl the analogue tape remaster?
No idea but reading the comments on amazon and the other sites it appears Jesus may walk the earth along with dinosaurs before its released :mrgreen:
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

when did you guys order it? i ordered in the first few minutes but didn't get an email yet
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

burningwheel wrote:when did you guys order it? i ordered in the first few minutes but didn't get an email yet
I ordered it straight from Sony. There was a link in the news item on Pitchfork, if memory serves me well.
Malingo7
Known user

Post by Malingo7 »

White edition for me too!!!!! 8)
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Me too. Not received yet though. Has anyone?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I'm just getting the 2cd version - however they are meant to be out next week (the 14th??).

That is if Kevin Shields gets it finished on time... :D
O P 8
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

yep, it's coming out on the 14th
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I just saw a Kellogg's Corn Flakes commercial using Movin' On Up.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Primal Scream cornflakes. Spiritualized toffee crisps. Munchie music for the monged masses.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Just got my white superdeluxe signed editon today, I got #90!
The box and it's contents look great! http://twitpic.com/4a23bc
And the vinyl remaster sounds brilliant! I'm hearing stuff I've never heard before! :o
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

sweet!
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

This a truly stunning box set. It all sounds fantastic and the live gig is a real treat.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

My white box set arrived this week, # 55. Great package! Not a had a chance to listen to anything yet but looking forward to that live cd massively. :D

One minor gripe: no sleeves for the vinyl.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Only got chance to pick mine up from the PO this morning, #66 here.

Absolutely agree - wonderful box set, to be honest for the money it puts the LAGWAFIS collectors edition to shame.

Mine also had no protection for the vinyl which concerns me a bit. Looking at beaker73's photo though it looks like that set has a plastic sleeve/sheet for protection??

Post by BzaInSpace »

The remaster is... OK.

Bass is a bit louder across the album, and the choir in 'Movin' On Up' is more pronounced.

I now wish Kevin Shields was allowed to remix the whole thing.

The sleevenotes are cliched bullshit. They should have got Messrs Gillespie, Innes or Weatherall to do 'em...
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote:The remaster is... OK.

Bass is a bit louder across the album, and the choir in 'Movin' On Up' is more pronounced.

I now wish Kevin Shields was allowed to remix the whole thing.

The sleevenotes are cliched bullshit. They should have got Messrs Gillespie, Innes or Weatherall to do 'em...
I'm not Kevin did much on this remaster anyway. Check the credits....."Remastered by John Davis, remaster approved by Kevin Shields". Now, I'm no technical expert but to me that sounds like he didn't remaster it BUTthe sticke on the front says it was remastered by him and Primal Scream. Hmmmm.

Got the 2 disc edition. Sleeve notes are a bit lame, doesn't even talk about the sodding album! Just has James Brown waffling on about the lame 80's music scene, local indie clubs, spilt beer, then ravers and the whole of the country dancing undr the influence, a bit about Loaded and then came Screamadelica. No insight into the album whatsoever. Idiot. Nice pics though. Haven't given the album a good blast through, first impressions are it's a bit louder and clearer. Can make out a bit more detail in Slip Inside This House, the sitar is more pronounced, maybe. Haha, it was never going to be much different was it, just a buffing up I suppose. Glad I didn't spend £90 on it. Should be priced around £70 I think. Check the Station To Station boxset which has a good load in it for that price.

Doesn't distract fom it being one of my all time fav albums though. Rll on Brixton next Friday!
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Sim wrote:Only got chance to pick mine up from the PO this morning, #66 here.

Absolutely agree - wonderful box set, to be honest for the money it puts the LAGWAFIS collectors edition to shame.

Mine also had no protection for the vinyl which concerns me a bit. Looking at beaker73's photo though it looks like that set has a plastic sleeve/sheet for protection??
There was no protection for the records in mine as well, I put op the sleeves the minute I got the records out of the box :wink:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Screamadelica!

Post by BzaInSpace »

johnnyboy wrote: I'm not Kevin did much on this remaster anyway. Check the credits....."Remastered by John Davis, remaster approved by Kevin Shields". Now, I'm no technical expert but to me that sounds like he didn't remaster it BUTthe sticke on the front says it was remastered by him and Primal Scream. Hmmmm.

Got the 2 disc edition. Sleeve notes are a bit lame, doesn't even talk about the sodding album! Just has James Brown waffling on about the lame 80's music scene, local indie clubs, spilt beer, then ravers and the whole of the country dancing undr the influence, a bit about Loaded and then came Screamadelica. No insight into the album whatsoever. Idiot. Nice pics though. Haven't given the album a good blast through, first impressions are it's a bit louder and clearer. Can make out a bit more detail in Slip Inside This House, the sitar is more pronounced, maybe. Haha, it was never going to be much different was it, just a buffing up I suppose. Glad I didn't spend £90 on it. Should be priced around £70 I think. Check the Station To Station boxset which has a good load in it for that price.

Doesn't distract fom it being one of my all time fav albums though. Rll on Brixton next Friday!
Yep - remaster approved. Which possibly means Shields gave the thumbs up to the set he liked best....I dunno.

Anyway I woke up on monday to find that at some point I also purchased the red vinyl edition from Mono - for a very good price actually (was it all the beers I'd bought earlier?).

Great thing is you get an actual interview with Andrew Innes and Bobby, and not just that James Brown lightweight pish. Really though, I just wanted to own that album on vinyl size. Looks awesome! And it's numbered outta 1000.

As regards to the boxset - seen a stack of them in HMV and the only reason I wasn't that bothered (despite the book, t-shirt and...er, slip-matt?!) was the fact that the extras music-wise just weren't enough of an incentive for me!

Over the years I've managed to obtain just about every remix from the era, apart from - I think - one of the 'Don't Fight It...' Graham Massey versions.

For me, none of them came close to the album takes and some have possibly dated quite a bit.

(I love the original 'Suspicious Minds' take of 'Come Together' but really don't need it again.)

I would have loved to have heard some work-in-progress stuff...remember the demo of 'Higher That The Sun' which appeared as the b-side to 'Burning Wheel'? Amazing. Although there may be a lack of that stuff.

The live 1992 show is kinda interesting but I much prefer the current live band. Despite the tenuous links to Screamadelica itslef would love to hear some proper buffed-up soundboards of the "Kevin Shields-on-3rd-Guitar" era instead - particularly those with the Evil Heat tracks (at that point unreleased) sounding well glam-rock. Kinda.

Anyway, the somewhat laboured point was, despite the lack of extra stuff (hats, novelty syringes etc) with the Ladies and gentlemen... box, the segued demos and working tracks was a thing of high beauty and imagination and would have great to have seen with the Screamadelica era recordings.

Johnny - hope you enjoy Brixton! I'm certain you will. Thats me now of the juice until July.

Bon Voyage.... :D
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Re: Screamadelica!

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote:
johnnyboy wrote: I'm not Kevin did much on this remaster anyway. Check the credits....."Remastered by John Davis, remaster approved by Kevin Shields". Now, I'm no technical expert but to me that sounds like he didn't remaster it BUTthe sticke on the front says it was remastered by him and Primal Scream. Hmmmm.

Yep - remaster approved. Which possibly means Shields gave the thumbs up to the set he liked best....I dunno.

Anyway I woke up on monday to find that at some point I also purchased the red vinyl edition from Mono - for a very good price actually (was it all the beers I'd bought earlier?).

Great thing is you get an actual interview with Andrew Innes and Bobby, and not just that James Brown lightweight pish. Really though, I just wanted to own that album on vinyl size. Looks awesome! And it's numbered outta 1000.

As regards to the boxset - seen a stack of them in HMV and the only reason I wasn't that bothered (despite the book, t-shirt and...er, slip-matt?!) was the fact that the extras music-wise just weren't enough of an incentive for me!

Over the years I've managed to obtain just about every remix from the era, apart from - I think - one of the 'Don't Fight It...' Graham Massey versions.

For me, none of them came close to the album takes and some have possibly dated quite a bit.

(I love the original 'Suspicious Minds' take of 'Come Together' but really don't need it again.)

I would have loved to have heard some work-in-progress stuff...remember the demo of 'Higher That The Sun' which appeared as the b-side to 'Burning Wheel'? Amazing. Although there may be a lack of that stuff.

The live 1992 show is kinda interesting but I much prefer the current live band. Despite the tenuous links to Screamadelica itslef would love to hear some proper buffed-up soundboards of the "Kevin Shields-on-3rd-Guitar" era instead - particularly those with the Evil Heat tracks (at that point unreleased) sounding well glam-rock. Kinda.

Anyway, the somewhat laboured point was, despite the lack of extra stuff (hats, novelty syringes etc) with the Ladies and gentlemen... box, the segued demos and working tracks was a thing of high beauty and imagination and would have great to have seen with the Screamadelica era recordings.

Johnny - hope you enjoy Brixton! I'm certain you will. Thats me now of the juice until July.

Bon Voyage.... :D
Totally agree re: the boxset, though I think I may like the live disc more than you. The version of Damaged on there is beautiful. Not so keen on a very messy sounding Screamadelica, the song itself, nor No Fun. Much prefer the band with Throb in the line up too. I've got all the mixes as well on vinyl over the years. The documentary is only half an hour BUT then they are conning the fans by releasing a full hour version in amonth or so. Why not put the full version in with the overpriced boxset?? No need for a slip matt, massive t-shirt or postcards. Would love to read the book and see the pics as that's got the full text and interviews with the band in it.

Where's the unseen and unheard stuff? Wasted opportunity in my eyes. Maybe the demos really aren't that good and it was all the work of Weatherall, Hugo Nicholson and The Orb making it such a wonderful album. Now there's a can of worms.......haha, not that I go with that opinion. Right minds at the right time. The demo of HTTS on Burning Wheel single is good but you can't beat the Orb mixes can you.

Not even sure the remaster is worth it to be honest but I do need to play it a few more times. They've given it a nice buffing up but I can't really notice much of a difference. Just playing the original version loud is going to make me a happy man as will having it destroy my hearing live on Friday night.

The red vinyl plus sleeve notes sounds great but I already have the original vinyl.

Have you got the Live In Japan album recorded on the Evil Heat tour? That's got Shields on it. Fantastic album!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Screamadelica>LIve>Evil Heat

Post by BzaInSpace »

It's ace. Mad sounding record. Dunno if it was ever out as a proper UK release though...was it? I could only ever get it on import. Cool silver skull-based band logo! Evil Heat's even more deranged twin...that is truly one brutal, psychedelic mother of a live album!

Maybe they'll release the 1992 show seperately down the line. Is it as good as the 1994 Barras show? That was great.

I forgot about the dvd/video thing but I find almost all music dvds/documentaries just aren't for me. Briefly diverting.

For me, it's all about the music, maaaaaan...

Oh aye, the whole 'Screamadelica shoulda been a Weatherall album' thing. I think it's just been a bit of lazy nonsense which has snowballed over the years by lazy Scream haterz looking for any excuse to noise up the bastards!

I mean, you don't hear anyone saying "Yeah man, Give Out But Don't Give Up, that should have been a George Clinton/George Drakalouis album..."

The band have never been selfish regarding praise, help or influences where it's due for Screamadelica - or any other record for that matter.

I think Bobby might have said it best: "We couldn't have done it without Andy (Weatherall)... but he couldn't have done it without us."
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Yep, only available as an import that album, but well worth the money.

1994 Barras bootleg? Is that the one called 'Purple Chain'? If so then I have that and love it. They sound wrecked and glorious on it, pretty together in fact. Might even prefer it to the 1992 one from the new boxset.

Does the red vinyl have a great sound? I'm tempted to treat myself seeing as it's limited to a 1000 and has a big 16 page booklet too. Is the booklet loose or stapled into the gatefold? Tell me more. Worth the money even if I have the original vinyl? Just don't tell the missus.........
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BzaInSpace wrote:Oh aye, the whole 'Screamadelica shoulda been a Weatherall album' thing. I think it's just been a bit of lazy nonsense which has snowballed over the years by lazy Scream haterz looking for any excuse to noise up the bastards!
I can't let that one go Barry! Curious how everything the Scream have done on their own is utter rubbish, yet with Weatherall running 'Screamadelica' they sound great, and then with Adrian Sherwood running 'Echo Dek' they also sound good.

Believe me I've tried and that band's appeal remains a complete mystery. If I hated them that much I'd also surely hate Screamadelica, but I don't - I love it.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

runcible wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:Oh aye, the whole 'Screamadelica shoulda been a Weatherall album' thing. I think it's just been a bit of lazy nonsense which has snowballed over the years by lazy Scream haterz looking for any excuse to noise up the bastards!
I can't let that one go Barry! Curious how everything the Scream have done on their own is utter rubbish, yet with Weatherall running 'Screamadelica' they sound great, and then with Adrian Sherwood running 'Echo Dek' they also sound good.

Believe me I've tried and that band's appeal remains a complete mystery. If I hated them that much I'd also surely hate Screamadelica, but I don't - I love it.
Erm, Vanishing Point? XTRMNTR? They sound great. Imagine the Stones without Jimmy Miller, Beatles without George Martin, plus many more who've had a great producer bring out better sounds and make something basic sound quite extraordinary with some studio trickery.

Echo Dek was a remix album afterall.

But, I'm not getting involved in this old argument...........
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

johnnyboy wrote:
Erm, Vanishing Point? XTRMNTR? They sound great..
I bought both of those after people said 'no REALLY - these are great albums' and I hated them.

If I compare this to Mogawi who I was never convinced by before... Mogwai are a band I don't like that much but I don't dislike them, they just don't do it for me. Yet their last album is actually really good. Primal Scream are one of the most consistently awful bands I know - the worst headline band I've ever seen too.

Anyway, I don't join in threads on the Scream just to say 'they're rubbish' as it tends not to be constructive, but in this case Barry said something that I felt needed a response. Please feel free to love that band (plenty of people hate the bands I love after all), but the fact that the one moment of greatness they achieved in my eyes was effectively under the control of someone else is an important factor.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

this is all hogwash about weatherall. have you heard the original version of come together? not much different than weatherall's
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I disagree. And Come Together is my least favourite track on the album - now I know why.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Luv N' Haight!

Post by BzaInSpace »

burningwheel wrote:this is all hogwash about weatherall. have you heard the original version of come together? not much different than weatherall's
runcible wrote:I disagree. And Come Together is my least favourite track on the album - now I know why.
Er... no you don't actually.
Mr Wheel. "Not much different"? :roll: Please!

The difference is vast, light years apart, and is just a massive shift as 'I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have' was to 'Loaded'!

Just so you know Runcie, Weatherall's epic, fabled, dubbed-out re-imagining of the beautiful original song is not only the very cream of Screamadelica but may also be the high point of their early sonic adventures!

Sorry about that.
johnnyboy wrote: But, I'm not getting involved in this old argument...........
Nah, neither am I. It's bullshit anyway, and also disrespectful to the great Andrew Innes, one of the most underrated guitarists and sonic-architects out there!

One Thing I Have To Say, Before I Have To Go - Runcie, I'm a little surprised by the vehemence in your reply, which wasn't aimed your way.

"Hate" - really?

While there's a lot of bands that I may dislike, more likely am just bored or unstimulated by, and ultimately are just are not for me, I'd find it hard to "hate" anything in those terms.

Fucking hell. I think the only musical thing I could hate would be a split record between Mumford & Sons, Pete Docherty, Bon Iver and Noah & The Whale in aid of Coldplay.

As reproduced for disc by James Corden and Michael McIntyre...

Ultimately it matters not - I have to confess that your assessment as The Scream being "one of the most consistently awful bands" is hilarious and, given what I seen this weekend, wholly inaccurate!

(Besides. I thought those glowing terms were reserved for a certain Welsh power-trio...)
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

johnnyboy wrote:Yep, only available as an import that album, but well worth the money.

1994 Barras bootleg? Is that the one called 'Purple Chain'? If so then I have that and love it. They sound wrecked and glorious on it, pretty together in fact. Might even prefer it to the 1992 one from the new boxset.

Does the red vinyl have a great sound? I'm tempted to treat myself seeing as it's limited to a 1000 and has a big 16 page booklet too. Is the booklet loose or stapled into the gatefold? Tell me more. Worth the money even if I have the original vinyl? Just don't tell the missus.........
Johnny - that is indeed the 1994 show. BBC broadcast? Mine's wasn't called Purple Chain right enough - that's cool, sounds like a Prince bootleg!

OK, Just opened the record again - the booklet is seperate (ie not stapled into the gatefold) just lying within the two records. Same cover as the cd booklet but blown up. You get an extra sentence by James Brown:
(detailed enough for you? ha ha ha!)"This is the band's memories while making it..." which leads on to Bobby and Innes.

It's a big interview - goes on for 8 pages. Just realized there a whole page by Andrew Weatherall! :D

I got mine in monorail for £16 which is good I thought. The missus won't mind! Yet to play the vinyl though...but the red discs look fantastic!
O P 8
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

too much hate in this thread, i don't bash The Heads like this :?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

If one owns the original Creation 2xLP of Screamadelica is the remastered vinyl essential? I dont need all the other stuff w/the ltd rd.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Luv N' Haight!

Post by runcible »

BzaInSpace wrote:
One Thing I Have To Say, Before I Have To Go - Runcie, I'm a little surprised by the vehemence in your reply, which wasn't aimed your way.

"Hate" - really?

While there's a lot of bands that I may dislike, more likely am just bored or unstimulated by, and ultimately are just are not for me, I'd find it hard to "hate" anything in those terms.
Yeah I really hated those records - they actually made me angry. Mainly Vanishing Point which is so void of anything appealing to me. Really dreadful. The cover of Motorhead epitomises the gradiose pose Gillespie and Co assumed thinking they were so cool yet they sounded like dickheads who didn't understand that song at all. Embarassing.
BzaInSpace wrote:Ultimately it matters not - I have to confess that your assessment as The Scream being "one of the most consistently awful bands" is hilarious and, given what I seen this weekend, wholly inaccurate!

(Besides. I thought those glowing terms were reserved for a certain Welsh power-trio...)
Ah, I said 'one of the most consistently awful bands' not the most consistently awful band! I saw what was regarded as one of the classic Primal Scream shows and by the end I wanted their entire catalogue burned I was so frustrated. Smashing Pumpkins made me feel fairly similar to that but not as badly. It's rare I've left a gig with that sort of feeling.

I'll leave you Scream-heads to it. I just reacted to Barry's poke-the-hornets-nest comment about Weatherall.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

burningwheel wrote:too much hate in this thread, i don't bash The Heads like this :?
Loads of people hate The Heads. But they don't care and nor do I. And nor should you about your beloved Scream.

Go and read the 0/10 review The Heads got for their debut album in Vox magazine which they've proudly posted on their web site.

Water. Duck's back. See?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

This thread went well hilarious , a few years observing this forum and certain subjects get the natives well agitated, Primal Scream ,The Verve and Flaming Lips spring to mind ,
to see BZa getting his knickers in a twist about criticism of The Scream ,let it slide man ,you show a great show ,you like to put it out to Ashcroft so suck it up man no big deal ,actually enjoying listening to the live box set Screamadelica show the last few days ,great show ,by a great band,
Anyway, I don't join in threads on the Scream just to say 'they're rubbish' as it tends not to be constructive, but in this case Barry said something that I felt needed a response.
thats good man ,but its exactly what you did ,lol,

runcible wrote:
burningwheel wrote:too much hate in this thread, i don't bash The Heads like this :?
Loads of people hate The Heads. But they don't care and nor do I. And nor should you about your beloved Scream.

Go and read the 0/10 review The Heads got for their debut album in Vox magazine which they've proudly posted on their web site.

Water. Duck's back. See?
but folks here that don`t like The Heads don`t crash threads about them to say how much they hate them and how shit their albums are ,by the way enjoying the Relaxing Rehereasal Tape ,a bit lofi but tight as f8ck and XTMTR is awesome can`t see where the hate comes from.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Johnny - that is indeed the 1994 show. BBC broadcast? Mine's wasn't called Purple Chain right enough
pretty sure thats my first Scream show ,a strawberry night ,good memories.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I must admit, I take a slight exception to your hate towards the Scream too Runci. Just got back from seeing them do Screamadelica in Brighton and it was literally jaw dropping. The fact that, if I remember correctly, they are only doing these shows because of watching Spiritualized doing their L & G show just makes it even better. Tonight was fucking amazing and I don't even really like the Scream. I do realize, however, that in Screamadelica and XTRMTR they have made 2 of the best albums in the last 25 years. Hate is a strong word and I can only assume that you felt that they could produce even better material than they did. They completely rocked Brighton (kinda their second home) tonight and the encore of Country Girl, Jailbird and Rocks was amazing. Just gutted they didn't play Shoot, Speed, Kill, Light or anything else of XTRMTR but thats a small price to pay for such an amazing show. Runcible, you really need to get over your hang up of this band.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Luv N' Haight b/w Runnin' Away

Post by BzaInSpace »

runcible wrote:
Water. Duck's back. See?
See, I don't think that's right. Some Britpop obsessed goon writing for Vox mag 15 years ago clearly didn't get - let alone listen to- the record (didn't he judge it by it's smokealicious cover??) and this is seemingly evidence of "loads of people hate The Heads" ?
I doubt it man. Loads of people probably haven't heard them, granted. But I find hate to be a strangely irrational response to... The Greatest Rock N' Roll Band In The World! :wink:
runcible wrote: Yeah I really hated those records - they actually made me angry. Mainly Vanishing Point which is so void of anything appealing to me. Really dreadful.
Hmm... late 60's infected psyche, heavy dub reggae, OTT direct line punk energy wrapped in a swirling, tripped production. I can see how that really must have pissed you off!
runcible wrote: I'll leave you Scream-heads to it. I just reacted to Barry's poke-the-hornets-nest comment about Weatherall.
Wait! Hornet's nest?

You should (although you won't) read the excellent interviews with Weatherall, Innes and Bobby with the afore mentioned vinyl edition. Straight from the horses mouth regarding who did what and when and why. Don't have time or the inclination to quote everything but:
Andrew Weatherall wrote: I was the arranging what they had, but it's 100% their record absolutely.
Again, trying to put paid to lazy journalese regarding the origins of the album. That was my original point man!

Guess who was on stage dancing away to the band a lot of Friday night? Yer man Weatherall.

You saw them on a bad night? It happens. Especially when a lot of the band are allegedly on heroin as they were at that time. However, the contemporary Barrowlands show they played was smoking, if the bootleg mentioned by Johnny above was anything to go by.

C'mon, I've seen 'em three times now in the corprorate hellhole that is the fucking SECC yet they still pulled it off each time!

Ads - glad you enjoyed it mate. I was a little disappointed they didn't play a full rock n' roll set before, but you can't fuck with those three tunes as an encore!

It was amazing being right at the front, being surrounded by so much love and good vibes. Incredible feeling :D And once more, why I find some of the bug-eyed hatred here just plain weird.

I LOVE THE SCREAM! :wink:
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'll sit quietly on my own then, chomping in fury at the Scream!

I have no issues with people loving that band, they are just one of those few bands that really get my goat.

Last words here:
Hornets nest - yes, Barry, you knew that comment on it being nonsense that it was a Weatherall record would create a reaction.

The Heads - lots of people really despise them. They relish that and don't give a toss.

The 2 Scream gigs I saw. Glasto 92 was probably shit sound and too many people but they sounded out of tune and looked ridiculous. Then the legendary George Clinton shows on the Don't Give Out tour. People were falling all over each other to say how amazing that gig I attended was - on the day Kurt Cobain's death was announced. I stand by my words - the worst headline performance I have ever seen. I was with a group of friends who wanted to stay otherwise I'd have left it was so bad.

'Hate'. If people don't like that word I'll tone it down to 'intensely dilike'.

:wink:
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote: OK, Just opened the record again - the booklet is seperate (ie not stapled into the gatefold) just lying within the two records. Same cover as the cd booklet but blown up. You get an extra sentence by James Brown:
(detailed enough for you? ha ha ha!)"This is the band's memories while making it..." which leads on to Bobby and Innes.

It's a big interview - goes on for 8 pages. Just realized there a whole page by Andrew Weatherall! :D

I got mine in monorail for £16 which is good I thought. The missus won't mind! Yet to play the vinyl though...but the red discs look fantastic!
Seen it on Amazon for £13.99 inc p&p. Quite a bargain in these modern times where double vinyl usually costs £15 and then some. Tempted to sling my cd back to HMV for a refund, as I'm struggling to see much difference in the remaster, then get the red vinyl instead which sounds a much tastier package. It'd mean having two vinyl copies of it in my collection but hey, it's a cracker right.

Regarding the Weatherall thing - just imagine Bitches Brew without Teo Macero's production and editing. Pharoahs Dance has 19 edits in it and most of the players were surprised when they heard the finished album, ie: we didn't play that! So, without his important input that album wouldn't have made the grade. He took the recordings and cut and spliced them into a new whole.

Some people dislike the band. Simple as.