Best Electric Mainline

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jadams501
Known user

Best Electric Mainline

Post by jadams501 »

I realized today that, including versions of "Clear Rush", I have over 2 hours of Electric Mainline in my collection from all the times it's been released and performed. What do you all think is the best one?

I'm partial to Part B from the Electric Mainline EP.
Horrorflick
Known user

Re: Best Electric Mainline

Post by Horrorflick »

I kinda dig the one on Live at Royal Albert Hall. The acoustic one that's floating around out there is pretty good too though. (It kinda caught me by surprise one day when I'd thrown it onto a playlist without hearing it first.)
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Would have to be the live version of "Clear Rush" from the Let It Flow EPs... although its been a while since i played that !
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

In a live context I always think you have to take Electric Mainline together with Shine a Light, and for me the best non-bootleg version of those is on the Pinkpop version of the Abbey Road EP.

In terms of actually being there, Brixton Academy was one of my favourites...
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Great thread. I have listened to just Electric Mainline for a few hours before so feel worthy to comment. For me the best is Prince of Wales, Melbourne, 2004. It takes off, goes higher and higher, then pushes through to somewhere new when you think there is nowhere else it can go. Amazing.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've always found the recorded versions of Electric Mainline to be nowhere near as good as its live counterpart. All the official live versions (Electricity EP, RAH, Let It Flow EP and Fucked Up Inside) are tremendous. Seeing as I recently lost my I-Pod and never backed up my Spiritualized boots I can't remember a specific unofficial live version that sticks out. There were a couple of Gastonbury boots that had fantastic takes of it on though from what I recall.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

The version on the Electricity single (CD2) is my favourite. The drumming at the climax is just insane. The Shine A Light before it is incredible, too.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

There are assorted belters from the Amazing Grace era bootlegs.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Studio: I'd have to say the two on the EP both for obvious differences.

Live official recording: probably "Clear Rush" from Let It Flow EP.

Seeing it live: that would be '92. I remember the strobe lights were sick. They had the first slot and blew both Curve and The Marychain off the stage!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The version from the Pink Pop Festival that appears on some editions of the Abbey Road EP is my favourite. I also love the Glasto '92 which is in a different style.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

MTV 120 Mins version is phenomenal.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I really like the version from Glastonbury 92(?) where Shine A Light sounds like a plane taking off then Clear Light Clear Rush is trippy as hell (Gothenburg 93 is similar)

a close second is the one from the LICD tour- really rocky and bombastic, getting faster and faster. i like how sometimes they incorporated Born Never Asked too.

i love the way that Electric Mainline is one of those songs that developed over the years. the one on the Amazing Grace tour was really different.

i think Jason should bring it back.