Sp3/Spz/Spc Songs You Don't Really Like

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jadams501
Known user

Sp3/Spz/Spc Songs You Don't Really Like

Post by jadams501 »

I'm inspired by a post at another forum to ask which Spacemen/Spiritualized/Spectrum songs you don't particularly like despite being a big enough fan to post here.

2:35
Che

Take Your Time
Take Good Care of It (Album Version)
The Individual
Borrowed Your Gun

Mechanical Man
Forever Alien
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Re: Sp3/Spz/Spc Songs You Don't Really Like

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

Without a doubt, I Gotta Fire. Genuinely the only Spiritualized song that I wish I'd never heard.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

a lot of spacemen 3's stuff doesn't really do it for me. obviously there are great moments for example dream weapon but things like ode to street hassle makes me want to listen to lou reed's original. i greatly prefer spiritualized's music to sp3. i remember on a link people were saying that lord can you hear me should not have been redone on licd but i greatly prefer this to the sp3 version which if i didn't know the spz version would be one of those tracks in the background that i pay little mind to when listening to the album. ok, i don't 'really dislike them, with a few exceptions, but have a low enough interest in them for it to classify as that within the context of this forum
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

jadams501 wrote:Forever Alien
strange, i love that track!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I really don't like any of the songs on the next Spectrum album. I was looking forward to it fifteen years ago, but now I'm over it...its just so,....,so,...1995*

As for Spacemen 3, I find "The World is Dying" a bit tedious. As for Spiritualized I've just had it with Electricity. I loved it when it was first released and was first played live but it has just been played to death. Also The Wave Crash In does little for me. However, all of the above statements need to be qualified with "Relative to the usual soulless dross that I am forced to listen to..."

*I'm ignoring compilations etc, HIghs, Lows.. was 1994.
Also I'm lying, WHERE THE FUCK IS THE NEW SPECTRUM ALBUM SONIC?
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Sorry, I can't resist this, and I'm sure I've told this tale on this forum many years ago, but...

I LOVE 2:35, and enjoyed pissing everyone off in our 6th form common room with playing it full blast whenever I could. Anyway, it came out at a time when chips cost 35p a portion, and my mate and I went to our local chippy one evening to find Pete Bain, Sonic and Jason in there too (it was Pete Bain's local). We were giggly excited about seeing our heroes in there, and of course when asked what we wanted I said very loudly "TWO THIRTY FIVES, please". It ellicited zero response, and it took every ounce of will power to not go all tourette's and shout it again.

...you had to be there I suppose.

FWIW I also love The Individual. Horses for courses. I'll get round to listing the ones I hate, and get back on-topic a bit later.
jadams501 wrote:I'm inspired by a post at another forum to ask which Spacemen/Spiritualized/Spectrum songs you don't particularly like despite being a big enough fan to post here.

2:35
Che

Take Your Time
Take Good Care of It (Album Version)
The Individual
Borrowed Your Gun

Mechanical Man
Forever Alien
squirrel
Known user

Post by squirrel »

Take Your Time, Take Good Care of It, and the Individual? Say what??? It's astonishing to me that a Spiritualized fan could not like that songs. Especially, the first two. They're pillars. Then again, I've not been a big fan of the last couple records, while many here seem to love them, so maybe I'm in the minority. Though, I do like Borrowed Your Gun.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

bunnyben wrote:a lot of spacemen 3's stuff doesn't really do it for me. obviously there are great moments for example dream weapon but things like ode to street hassle makes me want to listen to lou reed's original. i greatly prefer spiritualized's music to sp3. i remember on a link people were saying that lord can you hear me should not have been redone on licd but i greatly prefer this to the sp3 version which if i didn't know the spz version would be one of those tracks in the background that i pay little mind to when listening to the album. ok, i don't 'really dislike them, with a few exceptions, but have a low enough interest in them for it to classify as that within the context of this forum
shameful shit right here
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

squirrel wrote:Take Your Time, Take Good Care of It, and the Individual? Say what??? It's astonishing to me that a Spiritualized fan could not like that songs. Especially, the first two. They're pillars. Then again, I've not been a big fan of the last couple records, while many here seem to love them, so maybe I'm in the minority. Though, I do like Borrowed Your Gun.
I don't hate Take Your Time, and like it better in live form with the "I've been thinking of not comin' down" part, but in general I'd more happier to hear Angel Sighs or Sway or almost anything else from that era. I like the FUI version of Take Good Care Of It, but the album version seems like it was ruined for the sake of novelty. As for The Individual, I've always preferred the softer side of Spiritualized to the "experimental free jazz" noise freakouts (for which less is more imho). Borrowed Your Gun is an OK song, but I just find the lyrics off-putting and not what I look for from Spiritualized.
bunnyben wrote:a lot of spacemen 3's stuff doesn't really do it for me. obviously there are great moments for example dream weapon but things like ode to street hassle makes me want to listen to lou reed's original. i greatly prefer spiritualized's music to sp3. i remember on a link people were saying that lord can you hear me should not have been redone on licd but i greatly prefer this to the sp3 version which if i didn't know the spz version would be one of those tracks in the background that i pay little mind to when listening to the album. ok, i don't 'really dislike them, with a few exceptions, but have a low enough interest in them for it to classify as that within the context of this forum
I probably would have agreed with you on Sp3 at some point. For a long time I saw them as the prelude to Spiritualized, with the latter representing the full flower of the sound. Over time I've come to really appreciate the timelessness and elemental simplicity of Sp3, though, and started to see how in some ways both Spiritualized and Spectrum suffer from solo-career-itis. I'm still a huge Spz fan and I agree that the rerecording of Lord Can You Hear Me is better in many ways, but at this point I'd say I'm a bigger fan of the Spacemen. Dream Weapon isn't one of my favorites, though.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

"I prefer their first album(s) to the latest one", "the comic book is so much better than the movie", "I can't believe you don't fucking own this album", "Who are The Doors?" Hipsters throughout the universe will constantly do and say things just to do and say them. Jason Pierce was 17 when he wrote "Walkin' with Jesus". I think it follows that his music may have gotten better as he matured and learned more about writing/recording/producing/playing/etc. Yes. "Lord Can You Hear Me?" is much better on LICD just like "Don't Go/Stay With Me" is much better on Ladies and Gentlemen.
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

No God Only Religion and I Gotta Fire, that is all.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I LOVE, Love, love 'I Gotta Fire'. Something about the kaleidoscope guitars and scratchy acoustic and synth horns. Beautiful track and works well on ...A&E in the build-up to the 2nd half of the album.

Ben - I completely agree with you. The Let It Come Down take of 'Lord Can You Hear Me' is miles better than the original - context and stuff aside - see any of my previous posts about this. In fact good on you for stating something that many probably wouldn't on here especially - fuck it man! A lot of Spacemen 3 stuff doesn't do it for me either.

Shameful? Nah.
Honest? Yep.

Horrorflick - damn right. BURN the hipsters and their identikit haircuts, skinny jeans and shirt n' cardi combo, or whatever it is they're wearing this week.

The only Spiritualized song I used to actively dislike was 'Out Of Sight', but it's long grown on me as an integral part of the awesome Let It Come Down. (still think 'Goin' Down Slow' shoulda been on there though)

In saying that, there are one or two tracks on Lazer Guided Melodies that I don't feel I ever have to listen to again. But that's being really picky/shameful*

*delete as appropriate
O P 8
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I am not a big fan of Recurring, it’s just OK.

There are a couple of songs on A&E I thought I didn’t like but when they have came up on shuffle I do remember thinking A) who the fuck is this? and B) this is genius. A quick check on the iPod left me feeling rather ashamed.

I think the Spacemen versions that Spiritualized have recorded again are better than the Spiritualized versions, that said, the Spiritualized versions are fine. Some things will never be the same, Walking with Jesus, Take me to the other side have been welcome inclusions in Spiritualized sets over the years, I don’t know if Hypnotized really qualifies as a Spacemen or a Spiritualized song but would like to hear this played live again at least.

One of the elements of Spiritualized I love the most are the free jazz-white noise-LA Blues style freakouts. The ending to Smiles/Some things...that Spiritualized were ending shows with a few years back were moments of absolute bliss for me, the finale to the Glastonbury 04 show up at the John Peel stage on the Friday ranks as one of my favourite ever Spiritualized moments. Cop shoot cop, No God only religion, The Individual...some of the most played songs I own.

Again, just my humble...
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

as pete said spiritualized versions of walking with jesus sound like bad covers

would love to see hypnotized resurrected
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yeah, but I think Pete was wrong. See the 'Pat Fish vocal version' at the Natty SP3 gig... (bear in mind not a comment on the good cause this show was for). But surely Pete coulda sung it?

The country/soul version played on the last Spz tours was simply incredible - and easily the best ever take...yet!
Amazing to see whole parts of the Glasgow ABC dancing away during it - eightsome reels??!

It's J's thing, and it's wonderful to see/hear it evolve over the years. I probably find the 'heavy metal' take of the LAG tours the least satisfying - although it was very thrilling at the time AND was the first time I'd ever heard a Spacemen 3 tune...(Oct 1997) :D
O P 8
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

granted, i haven't been impressed with spectrum's covers of sp3 songs either

i just feel like the spz versions lack the rawness of the original and instead feel too sleek and polished.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BzaInSpace wrote:Yeah, but I think Pete was wrong.
Touché. Except I don't agree. The Spz versions are all OK but mildly pointless, and that's all I can say for them. Of course play them live but reworking already great songs and not improving on them (Sorry Barry, has to be said) isn't that constructive.

BzaInSpace wrote:See the 'Pat Fish vocal version' at the Natty SP3 gig... (bear in mind not a comment on the good cause this show was for). But surely Pete coulda sung it?
Pat Fish was a crucial influence on the Spacemen so I think they wanted him involved in the reunion, hence his vocal input.
BzaInSpace wrote:The country/soul version played on the last Spz tours was simply incredible - and easily the best ever take...yet! Amazing to see whole parts of the Glasgow ABC dancing away during it - eightsome reels??!
Yup - see my earlier point. Play the classics live all the time. I love hearing those songs and I loved the take Jason had on WWJ last time I saw them do it. It was superb. Most certainly not the best ever but it was fantastic.

(sorry for the multi-quote format, it was the only way I could address each point)
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

a lot of the spacemen songs that i like i like given their live treatment (other side etc) same with lazor guided melodies songs like take your time and shine a light- song that ate transformed into giants live. the album treatment of them are rather bland and unenergetic, meandering the way through the middle of the road. i know that someone will counter this 'shit' with some arguement about how silent is the new loud and the band had to be seen live to be experienced- aha! has to be seen live... if i want drone style ambience i have la monte, john cage etc. if i want 'avent garde' i have the velvets and if i want silent lound i have tchaikovsky. spiritualized bring together the parts that made spacemen and beyond and give them the treatment they deserve. take cop shoot... it has wonderful use of 'noise' i has wonderful use of tempo, i has wonderful use of backing vocals (the part before the desert- truely beautiful) and then you have the cleaner sister of the track, won't get to heaven- wonderful use of strings and gospel choirs and minimalistion contrasted with pomp. can any of you nay sayers point to a sp3 track that brings together the qualities in one complete track as opposed to hints at the possibility?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The whole Spacemen vs Spiritualized argument is a non-starter on a forum like this.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Eh? Where could you have such an argument then? Can't imagine it going down anywhere else...

Besides, the whole SP3 Vs. Spiritualized versions of songs debates have been raging for years on here. Years!

Ultimately, it comes down to taste and time and circumstance. Mark, you've mentioned many times before about taking the day off work to listen to Playing With Fire upon it's release and thoroughly enjoying it - to put it mildly!

My experience of that album is as far away from that as you can get - buying it on a wet Aberdonian winters day in 1997, listening to it and wondering why it sounded so quiet. (Fire CD quality I guess)

Plus, it initially sounded very one dimensional to me - that changed down the line thankfully, 'but Revolution' still sounds way to tame for what (I presume) was trying to be achieved. And the monologue piece is just silly...IMO.

(I'll get me coat...)

Compare that to say listening to Let It Come Down or Songs in A&E, and being absolutely floored by each song, and hoping that each album wouldn't end, and immediately playing it from the start....etc.

Like I say, those experiences are mine, so it's horses for courses, innit?

bunnyben wrote: can any of you nay sayers point to a sp3 track that brings together the qualities in one complete track as opposed to hints at the possibility?
At a push maybe 'Hypnotized', but only as its a prototype early Spiritualized track. C'mon naysayers!

By the way - that WWJ take mentioned above, regardless of Pat Fish's crucial influence on the band, now I know why they call him The (Jazz) Butcher... :P

I'll get me coat again.
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I do love the re–make of LCYHM on LICD. I also love the original. But from what I can tell the re–make
sounds like that is what he meant it to sound like in the end. This song is very much his mona lisa.

M
Design.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Don't really like!! Well the 2nd half of A&E, all of Amazing Grace, most of LICD since I listened to it last month for the first time in an age, the studio version of LAGWAFIS since I've heard it Live, bits of LGM now sound very dated, the majority of Spectrum and at least half of SP3 plus ALL of E.A.R.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shaun wrote:Don't really like!! Well the 2nd half of A&E, all of Amazing Grace, most of LICD since I listened to it last month for the first time in an age, the studio version of LAGWAFIS since I've heard it Live, bits of LGM now sound very dated, the majority of Spectrum and at least half of SP3 plus ALL of E.A.R.
flippin nora.. but Pure Phase is safe right?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Spacemen 3: 2.35 would be the main one for my displeasure probably.

Spectrum: Probably some noodling tune off Forever Alien, but nothing springs immediately to mind.

Spiritualized: An ever increasing number from Ladies & Gents onwards.... :arrow:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

At least, like me, everyone loves Guitar Loops though... 8)

Also a disclaimer - any Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 song that doesn't hit the spot is still usually miles ahead of anything else. When you get used to a particular level of quality it kinda spoils everything else.
Shaun wrote:Don't really like!! Well the 2nd half of A&E, all of Amazing Grace, most of LICD since I listened to it last month for the first time in an age....
Yikes! LICD - really? Why Shaun, why?? It's... THE BEST! :D
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Barry - my point is simply that we've been over this again and again here. The old PWF vs. LICD versions of Lord Can You Hear Me has been dug up more times than I can remember - as you yourself point out! We'll be reviving the who loves/hates Lord Let It Rain On Me next.

You're right about circumstance being important. I caught Spacemen 3 relatively late but the parallels between their lifestyle and that of many of their audience made an impact on many. Watching Spiritualized develop from a very early stage with very few people is also crucial in how my tastes for the music took shape.

The monologue piece? You mean 'Let Me Down Gently'? If so we are about as far apart as it's possible to be on the subject! I do worry about you sometimes... You obviously had no argument to match my anti-Manics rant of late as the anticipated response never appeared. :lol:

Horses For Courses indeed. I don't like A & E that much really - average in terms of what Jason can do, above average for almost anyone else.

As for you Shaun - might it not have been a shorter list to note the stuff you do like? :wink:

In terms of Spacemen 3 stuff I don't like... they always used to play a load of noise just before they went into Starship live. I never saw the point of that and always wanted it to whizz into Starship. I LOVE 2.35 - that sort of cranky swamp feel is terrific.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

anything on amazing grace
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Songs that do little for me nowadays include:

Spacemen 3:
any version of Transparent Radiation that isn't Ecstasy Symphony/Transparent Radiation (Flashback) (not that they're bad, but none come even close to this version)
Revolution
The World Is Dying
Che (not at all fond of this one)
Just to See You Smile / Feelin' Just Fine (Alternative Mix) (holy CD padding, Batman!)

Spiritualized:
Take Good Care of It (Pure Phase version) / Good Times
On Fire/Do It All Over Again
Never Goin' Back/Lord Let it Rain On Me/Lay it Down Slow
I Gotta Fire/Sitting on Fire/Yeah Yeah/Borrowed Your Gun
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Lord Let It Rain On Me!!!???

Post by BzaInSpace »

runcible wrote:
The monologue piece? You mean 'Let Me Down Gently'? If so we are about as far apart as it's possible to be on the subject! I do worry about you sometimes... You obviously had no argument to match my anti-Manics rant of late as the anticipated response never appeared. :lol:
Nah - I meant the actual monologue/vocal piece on 'Revolution'. There, said it... 8)

Yeah - been meaning to respond to that (way!) earlier, been very, very busy - this is one of my rare days off.
However, "I heard it once and didn't like it" does NOT constitute a valid argument round here! :wink: I'll get back to you...

No love for Amazing Grace? I fired it on my mp3 player about a month or so back, with the onset of the cold weather and it sounded terrific. An overlooked gem that one...apart from 'Lord Let It Rain On Me'. :)
(Worked at the Acoustic shows right enough.)

Here, an overlooked Spacemen 3 cd has to be For All The Fucked Up Children of The World We Give You... raw garage heavy blues! Love it,
O P 8
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Electricity - there, I've said it. :wink:

Have never much cared for the original studio version, consider it to be the weak track on LAGWAFIS.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

don't want to get into that whole debate again, but i'll say that I had a very similar experience to jadams when going back from Spz to investigate Sp3- Spz seemed like the finished article, Sp3 seemed more like demos or raw ideas. however I've since come around to the lofi charms of the Spacemen and do think they are being given a disservice by the pathetic mastering on the CDs of PP and PWF. I expected them to blow my head off and they sounded wimpy.

I LOVE 2:35 by the way!!

here's my list of least faves:

I Believe It
Feel So Good
Good Times
The Twelve Steps
Ballad Of Richie Lee
Lord Let It Rain On Me
I Gotta Fire
The Waves Crash In
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i have a challenge for one of you. if one of you can compile 80 mins worth of sp3 music and upload it onto here (i have all of the albums- legal disclaimer) so i can burn it to disc and try to change my mind then i'm game if you are? :D 8) :wink:

ps if it wasn't for lord let it... i would (possiblly) have never heard of spiritulaized
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Anything by Sonic pre-Playing With Fire.

I love Feel So Good though. And hate for The Ballad of Richie Lee?! Wow, I love that song!
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

angelsighs wrote: Feel So Good

Madness

The only PK/JP duet?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

KingHarry wrote:
angelsighs wrote: Feel So Good

Madness

The only PK/JP duet?
true but its just dull dull dull.

Ballad Of Richie Lee is clunky, underwritten and stiff sounding. A lot of AG is underwritten but gets away with it due to high energy, which can't be said for that song.

I will add the caveat that I don't really hate any of these songs, Jason is such a perfectionist as to what gets released for public consumption, that mediocre or average is probably the best description. I wouldn't mind if they never existed.

forgot one- I've never liked Medication much either. think I'm probably alone on that one as most fans consider it a cornerstone of the canon!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Feel So Good is the most important Spacemen track for me. It was what drew me to them in the first place and was how I got into them - following the howling racket of Rollercoaster it felt magical. Dull? Definitely not. It captures those moments when you're so out of it the line between freaking out and discovering nirvana starts to disintegrate. In the midst of all the blissing out Jason sings 'I aint gonna die'. It still sounds fantastic and doesn't fail to send shivers down my spine on every listen.

If the Spacemen albums don't wow you Ben I'd give up on them. Both PP and PWF are so perfectly sequenced if the magic doesn't touch you no fan-made compilation is likely to show what you're missing.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

runcible wrote:Both PP and PWF are so perfectly sequenced if the magic doesn't touch you no fan-made compilation is likely to show what you're missing.
Yes Yes Yes

The Light / Dark and Dark / Light combinations of the S3 catalogue is the magic of it all.

Feel So Good -> Things'll Never be the Same

and the ultimate glory of the close of side 2 PWF - Suicide -> (the definitive version) of Lord Can You Here Me. Not sure anything can touch this as a comination of sonic nirvana

The only shame of the S3 back catalogue is that there simply isn't enough of it ...
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I love Feel So Good (particularly the shimmering alternative take from Forged Prescriptions), Richie Lee (so much raw regret), and Lord Let It Rain On Me.
bunnyben wrote:i have a challenge for one of you. if one of you can compile 80 mins worth of sp3 music and upload it onto here (i have all of the albums- legal disclaimer) so i can burn it to disc and try to change my mind then i'm game if you are? :D 8) :wink:
Done. Here's a playlist, probably easier/more legal if you burn it or make a playlist yourself. It's 79 minutes.

Transparent Radiation -- How The Blues Shoulda Turned Out [Disc 2]
Losing Touch With My Mind -- Sound of Confusion
Take Me To The Other Side -- Perfect Prescription
Walking With Jesus [Demo] -- Forged Prescriptions [Disc 2]
How Does It Feel? -- Playing With Fire
Rollercoaster -- Sound of Confusion
Mary Anne -- Sound of Confusion
Ode To Street Hassle -- Perfect Prescription
Feel So Good [Alternate Take] -- Forged Prescriptions [Disc 1]
Let Me Down Gently -- Playing With Fire
Things'll Never Be The Same [Alternate Take] -- Forged Prescriptions [Disc 1]
Come Down Easy -- Perfect Prescription
O.D. Catastrophe -- Sound of Confusion
Call The Doctor -- Perfect Prescription
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

i ain't gonna skate on bitterness for attraction, but i have one strong onion to report about.
just one thing that sucks is actually the latest Spectrum song "War sucks". for me it's total rubbish. cause of garbage. sorry, pete. thats almost personal, but that song sucks big bricks.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shame you're stuck on the fence Veiko... (I love that song by the way!)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

runcible wrote:Feel So Good is the most important Spacemen track for me. It was what drew me to them in the first place and was how I got into them - following the howling racket of Rollercoaster it felt magical. Dull? Definitely not. It captures those moments when you're so out of it the line between freaking out and discovering nirvana starts to disintegrate. In the midst of all the blissing out Jason sings 'I aint gonna die'. It still sounds fantastic and doesn't fail to send shivers down my spine on every listen.
here here!

least faves for me - oh baby and broken heart. But not the live version of broken heart.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

runcible wrote:Shame you're stuck on the fence Veiko... (I love that song by the way!)
i do not share your love on this case. i will turn around for that song forever. dunno if it's taste to blame, but that song is worthless. i hate wars, pacifism is my second name (but still Blasphemy did a amazing demo "blood upon the altar", thats the definition of war metal), it's pointless to sing about it, no titles needed.

but amazingly lightning strikes from clear sky and i am on a total agreement with runcible, it's about "feel so good". same story with the part of jason singing that he ain't gonna die today. that was one time of mindchilling and spinecracking experience involving some powder, that makes you go faster
almost like an anthem for me. music does not need any help, but when the window opens, then i just enjoy the view and know i have a good spot to return to when i want to.
sp3 "how do you feel" is another one, that bites me.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ?! 'Feel So Good' is one of the best SP3 and JP tracks ! :?
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

i was almost submiting to oblivion, but now i have to return to the crackhouse to check again what i was about. kidding, but sorry. could be only two members of this board who do not know what i'm about... nothing personal. once again - "feel so good" and "how does it feel" are the best for me. but clearly i have case with "electricity" and "come together", perhaips mainly cuz they are so over-played. but it still stand to me statement, that at right moment "come together" could be the best feel-good-summer-hit and if it's sunny outside. "war sucks" will top my hate list even if julian assange will hold the gun personally.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

jadams501 wrote: Take Your Time
Funny. I have quite a lot of songs I don't really like, but this particular song ranks very high on my Spiritualized top track list.
James T wrote:No God Only Religion and I Gotta Fire, that is all.
No God Only Religion is not a song I don't like, but I have to be in the right mood...
Kurious Oranj wrote:granted, i haven't been impressed with spectrum's covers of sp3 songs either

i just feel like the spz versions lack the rawness of the original and instead feel too sleek and polished.
I think you only get half of the actual power of the songs... Just what I think. They both seem to be at the other end of the spectrum, one too raw and one much too polished.
mc wrote: Revolution
It took me quite a while to fully appreciate the song.
Zenchan wrote:Electricity - there, I've said it. :wink:

Have never much cared for the original studio version, consider it to be the weak track on LAGWAFIS.
Well, it's not very intense, that's true. It can be fun though. ^^

Um... I tend to avoid quite a lot of songs of both Spiritualized and Spacemen 3. Either because I don't like them or because I can't really get into them.

Let It Come Down and Amazing Grace are really hard to work with for me. Pure Phase was awesome when I listened to it the first time, it has calmed down by now, but I still think it's one of the better Spiritualized albums or rather that I like better.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Already There wrote:
James T wrote:No God Only Religion and I Gotta Fire, that is all.
No God Only Religion is not a song I don't like, but I have to be in the right mood...
I absolutely *love* No God Only Religion. It was a highlight for me of LAGWAFIS LP and any show I saw it being played at. I am strongly of the opinion that JP's best albums all feature instrumentals (not musical interludes like the Harmonies on A+E) or soundscapes. Ditto for the live shows, I still get goosebumps thinking of the Shine a Light (Clear Light/Clear Rush) segue that featured in the set around 1993/4. While I really enjoyed the 2008/9 gigs and the LAGWAFIS shows, I kind of hanker for the drones and tones of previous tours rather than the more song based sets.

I agree to a large extent about Electicity, it has been overplayed. The last live version of WWJ somewhat resurected the song for me, but I'd honestly prefer if they dropped WWJ and TMTTOS for Smiles or Run or ideally Pure Phase....

Bit OT I know, but it is late here......sorry.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Already There wrote:
Funny. I have quite a lot of songs I don't really like, but this particular song ranks very high on my Spiritualized top track list.
I really like that song too. Like a lot of people I prefer the live version which is much more dynamic, and although the album version is hardly a lynchpin of LGM it does have an ambient, floaty charm of it's own.

I guess i'm on my own with Feels So Good, no one's backing me up.

I really love No God Only Religion too, i enjoy the jazz wigout side of the band, and although the albums have become more song based there's still plenty of that in the live show. speaking of which I wouldn't mind if WWJ got dropped, but please Jason never get rid of TMTTOS.. its the perfect set ender. the first time I saw the band on the LICD tour was the first time I ever heard that song and it sent tingles up my spine, causing me to investigate Spacemen 3.
clewsr wrote: least faves for me - oh baby and broken heart. But not the live version of broken heart.
Oh Baby would have been the same for me until I saw the live version and Doggens solo took it to another level. totally ignited a love of the song for me.
Broken Heart is actually one of my favourites, the album version is gorgeous and the live one is maybe a bit bombastic but I still love it.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

angelsighs wrote:
Already There wrote:
I really like that song too. Like a lot of people I prefer the live version which is much more dynamic, and although the album version is hardly a lynchpin of LGM it does have an ambient, floaty charm of it's own.
I love take your time. I'd disagree that it is not key to LGM though - essential for me! I still love the way LGM is mixed.

angelsighs wrote:
clewsr wrote: least faves for me - oh baby and broken heart. But not the live version of broken heart.
Oh Baby would have been the same for me until I saw the live version and Doggens solo took it to another level. totally ignited a love of the song for me.
Broken Heart is actually one of my favourites, the album version is gorgeous and the live one is maybe a bit bombastic but I still love it.
I've always thought the guitar solo was a bit plodding.Maybe I will give it another try. I found it weird in recent tours, actually having a song in the set list where you think, 'right, time for a piss break / trip to the bar now'
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

hmmm...
'good times'
since it's by itself on the fourth side of the 'pure phase' vinyl i've gotten used to listening to the album without it and the flow is a lot better.
that's the only one that springs to mind.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

:shock:

I don't really dig On Fire and Do It All Over Again, usually skip them on LICD. Don't dig the "Lord, Can You Hear Me?" from it either, the original is one of Jason's finest moments on any of his records.Not a huge fan of "Cheapster", either, some of A&E is fairly forgettable, too, although has some amazing bits like "Death Take Your Fiddle" and "Sitting On Fire". The version of "Good Times" on Pure Phase isn't as good as the single, either. Sometimes gets a skip.

Can't really think of any SP3 I don't like.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

shalloboi wrote:hmmm...
'good times'
since it's by itself on the fourth side of the 'pure phase' vinyl i've gotten used to listening to the album without it and the flow is a lot better.
I still stand by my theory that Good Times was never originally intended for inclusion on the album, based on it's absence from promos/mastering copies/press releases and it being tacked on to the end of the vinyl (and not even included on the vinyl track listing).

Wonder if the vinyl reissue will correct that? Doubt it as I guess they'll just copy the cover art directly from the original.

Not one of my favourites either, but the EP version is preferable.

Post by BzaInSpace »

angelsighs wrote: Oh Baby would have been the same for me until I saw the live version and Doggens solo took it to another level. totally ignited a love of the song for me.
With you all the way there... just amazing!
O P 8
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Sim wrote:
shalloboi wrote:hmmm...
'good times'
I still stand by my theory that Good Times was never originally intended for inclusion on the album, based on it's absence from promos/mastering copies/press releases and it being tacked on to the end of the vinyl (and not even included on the vinyl track listing).

Wonder if the vinyl reissue will correct that? Doubt it as I guess they'll just copy the cover art directly from the original.

Not one of my favourites either, but the EP version is preferable.
The EP version is preferable by a million miles. I like the song... always think of it as Jason's attempt to write a James Bond theme song.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Chris Barrus wrote:The EP version is preferable by a million miles.
The best version of Good Times.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I don't think I dislike any Spz songs. The ones I like the least would have to be "Stop Your Crying" (based purely on the chorus) and "Borrowed Your Gun." I can't believe how many times I've seen "Good Times" on this thread. C'mon people, get it together!

Spacemen 3 - probably Transparent Radiation. It doesn't do anything for me.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

toomilk wrote:I can't believe how many times I've seen "Good Times" on this thread. C'mon people, get it together!
There's just something 'wrong' about the Pure Phase version. I usually skip it if playing the album so haven't listened to it for a while. Will give both versions a listen later and see if I can find what it is in particular I don't like about it.

Post by nickh »

toomilk wrote:Spacemen 3 - probably Transparent Radiation. It doesn't do anything for me.
Seriously?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Although the EP version is slightly better Good Times overall is pretty unremarkable. can anyone honestly say that they see it as a key track on Pure Phase?

Like natty I will admit to occasionally skipping On Fire and Do It Over Again, but thats only cause I love Don't Just Do Something so much.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Will hsve to think a liitle harder about S3 songs I don't like but I've quite a few Spiritualized ones that are instant skippers.

Broken Heart is maybe the worst thing Jason has committed to record IMO, absolutely unlistenable tripe. Played it again yesterday to make sure and made it about 30 seconds into it before I could take no more. Stop Your Crying is another one I find very difficult to listen to as well, just sounds like radio friendly MOR mush.

I thought Amazing Grace was decent enough when it came out and didn't play it much in the last few years but played it a week or two ago and thought it was really bad. A few good tracks on it but the rest leaves me stone cold.

As regards Spectrum, a good portion of Forever Alien is a bit too EAR for me, I like the title track and Feels Like I'm Slipping Away but that's about it.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

angelsighs wrote:Although the EP version is slightly better Good Times overall is pretty unremarkable. can anyone honestly say that they see it as a key track on Pure Phase?
Yes Yes Yes! Always been one of my favourite tunes. 4 minutes of pure adrenaline. Even purer on the EP yes, but Album version is still great for me.
Broc wrote:Stop Your Crying is another one I find very difficult to listen to as well, just sounds like radio friendly MOR mush.

I can see your point here. But like an evil dealer, J is just trying to catch them young - both my kids love screaming along to Soul on Fire and Stop Your Crying. Mainly because of the gratuitous use of the word 'baby' I expect. But I think they are both pretty good songs, even if the cheese factor is uncomfortably high.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

been following this thread with some interest and not a little bewilderment,okay ,Spiritualized ,20 yrs and 6 albums ,a few songs I`m not wanting played at my funeral ,thats understandable , but f8ck me some of the Spacemen 3 trax folk aint liking ,frankly I`m astonished ,I thought I was among like minded souls here...

Transparent Radiation !
Feel So Fine !!
I Believe !!!
Revolution!!!!

I`m almost lost for words ,those are some of my fav. trax of all time... I`m guessing the folks that don`t dig those trax came to the Spacemen 3 through Spiritualized , as a Spacemen 3 fan first I bought the Transparent 12" and was hooked ,honestly I can`t explain how much this band mean`t to me and like minded souls at the time ( that would be my friends ,maybe a dozen or so ,its a small village) but no band has had such an impact on my musical listening ,including Spiritualized ,Spiritualized is something I came to through Spacemen 3,Spacemen 3 gave me some of the best nights of my life, gigs and chilling out with the medicines,
you got to mind Spacemen 3 never had any of the budgets Spiritualized had to work with ,and while their back stuff could do with the super deluxe treatment ,and we would all love it ,It probably aint gonna happen for practical reasons ,but to anybody thats struggling to get a handle on what the fuss about the Spacemen 3 is ,you got no idea what you missed.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

niamhm wrote:been following this thread with some interest and not a little bewilderment,okay ,Spiritualized ,20 yrs and 6 albums ,a few songs I`m not wanting played at my funeral ,thats understandable , but f8ck me some of the Spacemen 3 trax folk aint liking ,frankly I`m astonished ,I thought I was among like minded souls here...

Transparent Radiation !
Feel So Fine !!
I Believe !!!
Revolution!!!!

I`m almost lost for words ,those are some of my fav. trax of all time... I`m guessing the folks that don`t dig those trax came to the Spacemen 3 through Spiritualized , as a Spacemen 3 fan first I bought the Transparent 12" and was hooked ,honestly I can`t explain how much this band mean`t to me and like minded souls at the time ( that would be my friends ,maybe a dozen or so ,its a small village) but no band has had such an impact on my musical listening ,including Spiritualized ,Spiritualized is something I came to through Spacemen 3,Spacemen 3 gave me some of the best nights of my life, gigs and chilling out with the medicines,
you got to mind Spacemen 3 never had any of the budgets Spiritualized had to work with ,and while their back stuff could do with the super deluxe treatment ,and we would all love it ,It probably aint gonna happen for practical reasons ,but to anybody thats struggling to get a handle on what the fuss about the Spacemen 3 is ,you got no idea what you missed.
Revolution is kind of take or leave for me... I don't think it quite rocks the way I want it to and I find Pete's "political" sloganeering to be a little unconvincing. But the other three I love. There are some versions of Transparent Radiation I could leave behind but the one with the full violin intro is great and the Perfect Prescription bit is excellent as well.

As for Good Times, I don't think it wears as well as the rest of the record but it's a solid rocker. Good to work out to.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I think 'I Believe It' was mentioned due to a misunderstanding of a post of mine by Runcie :wink: - otherwise I agree with jadams regarding 'Revolution' - his post said what I said far more succinctly though!

'Feel So Good'? An amazing song.

See, I just want there to be proper hi-fidelity releases of The Perfect Prescription and Playing With Fire. As I've grumbled about many times before it's near criminal that these records don't have the kind of quality cd version available - I have no doubt the original vinyls probably rock out (or in) way better than the shitty cd releases but only those prepared to pay serious, crazy £$ can get them now. Such a shame!

EVERYTHING is being re-released/remastered etc now. I hear the first Scouting For Girls album is getting the deluxe treatement soon....Even really heavily obscure recordings from years before SP3 are getting out there and I just feel those records deserve it way more.

Just listen to the quality on Forged Prescriptions, or even the demos (For All The Fucked Up Children...) album. They have a dynamic range that is wholly absent from the albums I mention above.

More on track...I've disturbed by the endless dislike of what I consider to be the cream (so far) of J. Spaceman, songwriter...namely 'Borrowed Your Gun'. Seriously - how can you not be moved by that track? I guess I just feel lucky, as that last half of the record is just so astonishing, and almost feels underwritten - there's a lot of space :D in there the earlier records never had, but there's something so pure about those songs and that one in particular.

Hell, if we all liked the same thing it would be bloody boring.

And yeah Veiko, you're right, 'War Sucks' er....sucks.

:!:
O P 8
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

playing with fire sounds alright to me. probably could be better, but perfect prescription mastering is the real tragedy.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BzaInSpace wrote:I think 'I Believe It' was mentioned due to a misunderstanding of a post of mine by Runcie :wink: -
:? What?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

runcible wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:I think 'I Believe It' was mentioned due to a misunderstanding of a post of mine by Runcie :wink: -
:? What?
Er...sorry. It was 'Let Me Down Gently' you mentioned actually, back on page 2 of this thread.

:oops:

I feel somehow ashamed of giving any of this pretty amazing music 'the bad touch'. In comparison to almost everyone else it is just...the best.
O P 8