Music, huh?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Guessed
Known user

Music, huh?

Post by Guessed »

Hello everybody; this will be my last post on here for some time so I wanted to (perhaps) make the content worthwhile.

Music has been a bit of a struggle for me this year; not sure if it's my attention span, the amount of music there is, the amount of mediocre music there is or the insistence I have in not accepting anything that isn't beltin'.

I haven't bought much music this year; In fact I could probably count on my digits how many albums I've bought. I had a huge backlog from 2009 to get through and a lot of it was extremely disposable and subsequently has been dispatched.

I've found myself focussing quite intently on sound this year; this may be a synth bassline that evokes a warm comforting feeling or little clicks, clacks and purrs that define movement, eerie movement. Right now i have the Cabs Micro-Phonies on and I'm listening intently to the drum programming! I guess this has been my "disection" year. I've found i've come to like these individual sounds or parts of tracks and this has caused me great trouble when searching for new music. I'm focussed on finding something that has those sounds I like so much. Few and far between.

Someone actually asked me today; "tell me about the music you like". Erm...how can I condense 18-20years of listening into a sentence. I could've quoted artists/producers that this person would never have heard of but where is the point in that. To me it's lazy and uninformative. However I also stopped myself short of offering to make a 10track playlist for this person; something I would've rattled out without thought about a year ago. It seems more important and focussed now and not to be tarnished in such a throw away manner.

I wonder if I'm recovering music at the minute. I wonder if i'm holding it back just for me; to become aquainted with, to understand it...to cherish it before letting it go elsewhere. Outside (well inside actually) there must be a million different mp3 files floating about file sharing sites/email addresses/p2p hubs. There are dedicated mp3 sites, blogs about everything you ever wanted and Itunes/Ipod/Iphone/Ipad have just about secured world domination. Now I'm not too hung up on any of what I've said...except maybe it's a bit tasteless.

Furthermore the micro areas are recieving too much exposure; I feel there is too much deliberate emphasis on micro scenes. Maybe it's my diet that needs to change; hence the "cheerio" post but everywhere I look; The Wire, Boomkat, Beatport and various label websites i'm finding a huge chunk of apathy and disassociation coming back at me. Don't get me wrong; I'm sure micro scenes are great but people should not report so fundamentally (emphasise 'mental) on areas that are regurgitations of previous. I mean Hypnagogic Pop (now shortened to H-Pop) is doing my nut in. Throw Witch House or Drag into that scene too. This can all be tracked back through time and various avenues; early Hip-Hop, Industrial too bloddy Pink Floyd. Dubstep and the Hardcore Continuim and the AquaCrunk stuff is just braining me...I've termed it New Weird Electronica in homage to some "other" scene. I know we're all shaped by our experiences and influences but is there a need to wear them so prevalently on ones sleeve? It's absolutely exhausting and I'd rather listen to a Take That ballad...which would probably sound great basterdised in a few years to a backdrop of EBM beats. Is nothing sacred anymore?

I think genre boundaries have been blurred which itself is a good thing as I don't particularly find genres useful however the "blurring" appears planned. I find the journalism (if you can call it that) a bit too manic, unconsidered and docile. I find my choices being schooled by other people first due to popularity being a "/search" filter.

Anyway; this year I've decided to place far less importance on music/discovering music/thinking or talking about music. Hopefully this will permit me the time and silence to get rid of this troublesome obsessy irritable feeling I currently have.
I'm going to avoid most of the internet, newspapers, radio, magazines and tv also.
Hopefully my brain can return late 2011 empty and with a better appreciation of music (not sound as I've started to refer to it as!)

So, to you all I wish a Happy New Year and enjoy the music.

B,
S.
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Music, huh?

Post by spzretent »

Stuart:
I have found this message board particularly inspiring when it comes to music suggestions. That and few of those whose opinions I respect. I take things in at my own pace. My taste is not nearly as expansive as yours. Maybe thats why its easier for me to digest. I find it easy to whittle things down by previewing bands records on a bands website/Amazon/ Myspace. I ask myself if I would ever give a particular band/record a second listen if I were to purchase. The answer is mostly an emphatic no.
I still dont understand the obsession with The Heads :oops: (dont shoot me). I just dont "get" it. Admittedly I have not seen them live which I am assuming is an awesome live experience. And I would still like to someday. Kind of like Bardo Pond whose records I never listen to but I have seen live twice and they were amazing.
Having said that I can hear a bootleg of Exile outtakes by Stones in the other room. Tells you where my head is(and probably always will be) at! And I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Little Feat's Sailin' Shoes on vinyl.

Have a very Happy New Year
Hope your sabbatical is a short one,
A
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

While reading Guessed's post I was reminded of the regular column on Pitchfork that's called something like "What's New In Grime/Dubstep," which has always annoyed the shit out of me. Maybe I'm just old and out of touch, but do we really need a regular column for that specific, obnoxiously-named genre of music? I can't name one artist that fits that genre, but as I said, maybe I'm just out of touch.

Alan mentioned Bardo Pond. I was listening to their new album the other day on my iPod for the first time and was somewhat appalled by the fact that I had to turn down the volume to nearly 30% of the maximum. Most albums I listen to at between 70 and 90% of maximum volume. I thought that the brickwall mastering technique had gone the way of dodo and myspace, but apparently not. What a shame to do that to what could sound like a damn fine record.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i think it's a case of over exposure. there is so much out there and i don't listen to music radio, read most mags, watch tv etc but i find myself overwealmed with the amount of music, books, films, football etc and frankly a lot of it is turning me off of the genres. i'm now trying to focus on new things i think i'll like as opposed to chasing every shadow of curiosity. come back soon mr hunter
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

spzretent wrote:
I still dont understand the obsession with The Heads :oops: (dont shoot me). I just dont "get" it. Admittedly I have not seen
me either, just can't get into them as i've mentioned before. black mountain is another one

i've discovered all sorts of great music this year,maybe yer just depressed, anyways be well
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I dont think Guessed's post was something one can simply write off as thinking maybe he is depressed. He went into great length as to why he feels like this. Over stimulation without a great payoff maybe.
Regarding The Heads, as I said, I still want to see them live. I own plenty by them. Live stuff too. Live shows seems like that is what clinches it for a lot of people. Otherworldly. So the door is certainly open.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

burningwheel wrote:
spzretent wrote:
I still dont understand the obsession with The Heads :oops: (dont shoot me). I just dont "get" it. Admittedly I have not seen
me either, just can't get into them as i've mentioned before. black mountain is another one

i've discovered all sorts of great music this year,maybe yer just depressed, anyways be well
That's the beauty of this site, I too have never got the Heads and yet I love Black Mountain and Pink Mountaintops. :o
'Remember, change is not good'
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

this place is so miserable.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Really?
Care to expand on that?
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

some really good points in the original post - i'd agree that a lot of music seemed pretty lazy this year. the way that music has become hyperfocused through specific blogs/scenes has lead to a certain apathy regarding the actual quality. seems almost like collecting music is more of an addiction than a passion. you mentioned a wealth of musical 'genres' i've never even heard of... i found it funny. you're right, it's just lazy journalists trying to make a story, since their job revolves around the notion of scenes. whether these scenes exist or not, the fact that people read about them imbues them with some kind of weight. and then of course bands will suddenly appear on the scene who have that all-important 'chillwave meets witch house' combination that the kids are told is cool.

even worse is when bands with a genuine inventiveness, soul or 'sound' gets reduced to a label, which then becomes ridiculously overpopulated/imitated. like you, i find the notion of an 'h-pop' label particularly irksome, but probably for quite different reasons. about 8-10 years ago i was obsessed with hypnotic drones, reverby guitar loops, sleepy sweeping electronic waves and so on. In fact, i used to use spiritualized's symphony space as a loop on which to layer things. haha. anyway, about 4 years ago i could finally afford to buy an audio interface and actually try recording stuff. sure, the music itself was lo-fi, but it felt honest and strangely powerful to be making something that was expressive of where i was at, at that particular time (broke and unemployed, introspective, full of wonder).

Suddenly pitchfork proclaims deerhunter the savours of the world. maybe a year later they declare 'beach house' to be the best thing since deerhunter, and so on. magically, some journalist invents a label for it and now there's a huge music 'scene' entirely populated by sleepy, reverby, bands, with eerily similar names/obsessions. You'd think, given my interest in such sounds, this would be a blessing, but it seems to me a very cynical way of doing things. And the influx of half-arsed bands who know they can cash in just by adding reverb to their vocals, loop pedals to their guitars and using a cheap drum machine really frustrates me. I think what's important to me - which is largely destroyed by the oversaturation that the hype of a new label brings - is the intention behind a record. A kind of passion, or honesty means a lot, and it's hard to sift through all these bands to work out who is actually bringing anything real to the table and who is just doing an impressive imitation.

Like your 'insistence...in not accepting anything that isn't beltin', I guess i have a high standard in not accepting anything that isnt genuine and (beyond the specifics of the sound itself) original. imitation is the sincerest form of unoriginality. sure you can use the same means of communication (same guitars, same effects pedals, same beats, whatever) but music's all about the abstract feelings that go with it. to me it seems obvious that deerhunter (for all they can be hit or miss) are entirely genuine, and i can at least feel that in their music. i dont know if you've ever read any Deleuze, but to me good music is all about his idea of 'becoming...' (check out 1000 plateaus for more on that) Or i guess in Kantian terms, you could easily see bands who are doing something new and amazing as the 'sublime', which when delimited by a categorization (as 'h-pop' or whatever) become reduced to such a level. and while the sublime is the intent to go beyond categorization, the intent of music journalism is to categorize everything.

soooo, i hope this comes across as sympathetic rather than some kind of bitter, pretentious rant, haha. One more thing that struck a chord with me was your becoming overly fixated on drum programming or little clicks, etc. I had the exact same thing a while back, only mine was with very specific reverb sounds and psychedelic guitar explosions (a la mercury rev). Anyway, what i will say is i found creating my own music to be the best cure for this kind of feeling. You can get totally immersed in actually *creating* these sounds that you're searching for in other music, and taking them to the limit point. It sounds like you have an extremely specific thing that you're searching for, so why not try and do it yourself? Over the last year I've had a kind of musical writer's block and found making music videos a great way of giving myself another angle to be creative without having to deal with the music directly. the results should be linked to in my signature...

Anyway, good luck to you in the new year. Hope you can overcome your musical entropy and join us again soon. I for one always enjoy reading your posts.

oh and to give you a context, here's a link to my album..
http://www.mediafire.com/?3mym4mmzm3m

happy toshikoshi from japan, :wink:
moop
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

wow, my previous post should probably come with a bullsh :!: t alert.
it's a warning to anyone to avoid writing anything after staying up all night trying to work out how to use animation software. green tea + wine = epic rant. apols! :roll:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Music-------------------------------->>>>

Post by BzaInSpace »

Kurious Oranj wrote:this place is so miserable.
Why derail such an interesting thread?
Gimme - or the Dj - a break. I mean really, why bother?

Why not try the http://www.HappyShinyJoyfulKatyPerry.com forum? You'll dig it.

Too many interesting points to comment on tonight, but I'll try again tomorrow.
And Stuart, hope you don't go for too long. PM me or something.

Night
O P 8
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i think Kurious Oranj was just kidding :roll:
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

How the Artist Became the Enemy of the Music Industry
By Jeff Price

In the 80’s when I was in high school, smoked clove cigarettes and looked like a bad reproduction of Robert Smith, musicians were larger than life. They were a persona, a style, a representation of what I was and how I wanted people to see me. I connected with them and they represented me.

I would spend hours listening to 7” singles and cassettes, reading fanzines, scouring the shelves of a record store to discover that next artist that might mean something to me and, as importantly, that no one else knew. The more obscure, self-released or “indie” the artist or label the better.

And the RIAA agreed. Music was special and the artists that created it were valued. Thou shalt covet the musician and fan. And the enemy? VHS movies and video games vying for my money and attention. The RIAA embarked on a campaign to frame music, and the artists that created it, as more important and of a higher cultural value then these other newcomers. I remember buying The English Beat’s “Special Beat Service” vinyl album with a big circular sticker on it stating in all caps, “Music, More Value for Your Money”. And I actually agreed with the RIAA. The VHS of Buckaroo Bonzai and the new Mario Bros. Nintendo game cartridge would come and go, but the song “I Confess” would forever hold a place in my heart.
The lines were drawn. The RIAA worked hard, even spent money to define music, artists and their fans as belonging to a higher cultural status that had more value than those of movies and video games.

More competition showed up for my “entertainment dollars” until new technology shifted the enemy from those competing with the music industry to those stealing from it. The problem got much larger than the episode of What's Happening!! when Rerun is at the Doobie Brothers concert with a tape recorder under his jacket (forward to 3:30 to re-live the stinging moment). Cassette recordings of albums were being mass produced and handed out or sold, CD burners chugged out crappy illegal copies of albums, smaller handheld recording devices allowed live shows to be more easily recorded and bootlegged. The enemy changed and grew in numbers.

Along came the Internet and MP3 compression technology as well as a new breed of technogeeks converting the huge song files on CDs to smaller ones and sending them around via the Internet. As net access via dial-up morphed to DSL and cable, the 25 minutes it used to take to download just one song changed to just minutes (or faster). Hard drives got bigger, computer sound cards and speakers improved, broadband net access became cheaper; it began to swirl out of control. Then Napster arrived: the first peer to peer filing, with the ability to scale in an unprecedented way allowing tens of millions of people to get their hands on music at the (double) click of a button. It quickly became the music industry’s public enemy number one.

And Napster was the event that triggered some in the industry to slowly lose their minds and creep towards insanity. Some in the industry began to move their cross hairs from Napster to ISP services and they kept going, looking to find someone, something (or anyone) to blame for the looming changes in control and revenue. Publicly and privately the industry attacked just about everything – retail stores, radio, press, the internet, computers, MTV, YouTube, MP3.com, instant messaging, CD burners, eMusic, Soundscan, independent promoters, all technology, but they could not slow it down. New enemies had to be found. Reason flew out the window and they went after the very thing that kept them alive, the music fan.

The RIAA, with the backing of its label members, started suing the very people that paid their salaries and made them money. Get grandma, get the high school student, get the college kids, take them all down. Sue them, scare them, serve them up legal notices, force them to settle in the hope that a message would go out to the world and stop their behavior. Use fear and intimidation to get the genie back in the bottle. Don’t bother to explain copyright or the value of it, scare the crap out of them.

But this too did not work. The shift accelerated. Someone must be blamed. This MUST be someone else’s fault – panic ensued.

Public service announcements were launched featuring major label artists stating that downloading music via peer to peer services was stealing, but there was no real educational campaign embarked on to truly, honestly explain the situation. Where was the new campaign of “Music, More Value for the Money”, the “Music is Special”, the “We love our Music Fans”, the, “Wow This is Awesome, There are More and More People Listening to Music Now so Lets Figure Out How to Take Advantage of This Great Opportunity” campaigns?

The industry started to crumble faster as the media and distribution outlets opened to everyone:

eMusic launched creating the first on-line digital music store with unlimited shelf space and inventory.

MySpace took off, every band, signed or not, could now have a fan webpage.

YouTube exploded, anyone could now make a music video and let potentially tens of millions of people see it.

iTunes launched, the iPod came out and music fans loved it. Everything could be available to buy and would never be out of stock.

TuneCore launched, every musician now had access to have his or her music distributed and be on the shelf to be bought.

And some in the old school industry lost their minds, completely. They searched for new people or companies to attack, but they had already blamed them all. With no targets left, in a last moment of desperation, these few weary disillusioned out-of-touch with reality souls attacked the only thing that was left, the artist. The very creators of the music, who were needed to fuel the machine they built, became the problem.

The artist was now the enemy.

In their minds, it was these other artists’ fault that the music they wanted to sell was not selling. These other artists just made too much music, and all this music confuses people, makes music fans not like music, makes them throw their hands up in the air and say, “There is just too much choice, I need someone else to tell me what I like. I can’t deal with other people suggesting bands and songs to me that are not working for record labels or radio stations.”

Sitting board members of the RIAA, A2IM and SoundExchange went on campaigns and made public statements to the press that “these” artists, these evil bad artists, were to blame! It was these non-sanctioned artists hurting album sales and revenue for the labels. They are the reason why the music industry is failing. We did not let them in, but here they are making and recording music. These artists are “crap”. These artists “clutter” the world with their non-sanctioned, non-approved songs. These artists are not “developed” and are failing, taking us all down with them. Through their magical ways, these artists stop the sales of “good” music. The problem is THESE artists. They have to be stopped. We must force them all back into the old model where the RIAA member record labels get to decide who gets to put music on the shelves of iTunes, Amazon and other stores.

To make matters worse, these “crap” musicians actually record music without first checking with us. It’s bad enough it’s on their own hard drives, how dare they put it on Apple’s to be found or bought if searched for. Radiohead, Justin Bieber, Arcade Fire, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, The Black Eyes Peas, Jay-Z are being hurt by these “other” artists having their music available for people to buy on iTunes. And whose idea was it in the first place to let them have a MySpace or Facebook page or upload a video to YouTube! Berklee School of Music, how dare you teach these artists anything without first getting our approval to let them in.

A last desperate witch-hunt started. Some other old guard industry professionals started hammering in on these foul, evil, who-the-hell-do-you-think-you-are artists – it’s your fault! You are now the enemy. It bubbled up and became a drumbeat to the point where other musicians in legendary bands even began to echo the sentiment.

You’re all crap. You are the problem.

Instead of embracing this new world – a world where more music is being created, distributed, bought, sold, shared and listened to by more people and more musicians than at any point in history - the RIAA, A2IM, SoundExchange complacently sit silent as their board members, and in one last desperate attempt, attack the creators of music.

But it did not work. 2010 was the year of the artist with more artists selling more music now than at any point in history. And now as these few old school guard sit and ramble insanely about how music is killing music, after they have attacked and blamed everything and everyone for the shift in power and loss of control, there is only one more thing left for them to blame…themselves.
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Probably the most interesting thread I have ever read on here or on any board. I'm off to have a good long think about this, whilst listening to my old Doobie Brothers bootleg cassette.
Thanks for sharing everybody.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Meo wrote:Probably the most interesting thread I have ever read on here or on any board. I'm off to have a good long think about this
Seconded. Thanks for this thread.
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

A good read, and I understand that feeling of fatigue... but I think mine is self-inflicted! I spent last year hunting down releases, picking up records I had read good things of (this board gave some great recommendations) but I feel that I slipped into a state where I was buying records/cassettes/CDs/CD-Rs and not sitting and enjoying them and soaking up the great music that I was buying because I was off chasing the next release... almost the mindset of a collector rather than how I truly feel about music which is this cruical aspect of my life and something which I enjoy so much...

So this year I have decided to slow down on buying music but to take the time to enjoy what I have, explore the most recent purchases, revisit old records I haven't listened to in some time and to enjoy the records that I have!! :mrgreen:
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Meo wrote:Probably the most interesting thread I have ever read on here or on any board. I'm off to have a good long think about this, whilst listening to my old Doobie Brothers bootleg cassette.
Thanks for sharing everybody.
Next up a Doobie Brothers sub thread a la Levitation.
Me, I am firmly in the pre Michael McDonald camp where the Doobies are concerned. :lol:
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Guessed wrote:Hello everybody; this will be my last post on here for some time so I wanted to (perhaps) make the content worthwhile.

Music has been a bit of a struggle for me this year; not sure if it's my attention span, the amount of music there is, the amount of mediocre music there is or the insistence I have in not accepting anything that isn't beltin'.

I haven't bought much music this year; In fact I could probably count on my digits how many albums I've bought. I had a huge backlog from 2009 to get through and a lot of it was extremely disposable and subsequently has been dispatched.
In 2008... I think I only bought... 1 album. Forth. And I didn't even like it. :lol:

Yeah, I can relate to your problem, I have felt like that for quite a while now. I used to be easier for me. Nowadays all I see are hipster bands and loads of shitty music coming from the US and everywhere else.

I am really glad that I went to the concerts I went to last year because they could still give me the feeling that there was something left out there. I don't regret a single one of them. It was only five, but they were all worth it.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - I was really glad that I went to see them. Without that gig, I'd still be in this state of "Yeah, I always knew I liked those guys, but something was missing". That's kind of gone.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - A very very enjoyable gig. And I don't even know them very well. Plus Anton went mad because apparently one of the guitars didn't work properly. I mean... Shouting insults at your bandmate - especially in that particular Anton manner - that's not exactly pleasant. Didn't surprise me, but I could have done without that. Apart from that... A very cool atmosphere, pretty relaxed.

Richard Ashcroft - I even went to see him twice. And... I was freaking out months before the gig, I was so scared it was going to be really bad and that I wouldn't like it. But... I was in awe. I can imagine that after the production the album turned out bad, but hey... his other records have also been overproduced, so I didn't expect this one to be different. The concerts though - I really liked it. (Before the first gig I'd stand in the first row wondering whether there was actually going to be one or... two kesyboarders... Apparently - two. I wasn't so sure. Why would you need two keyboarders anyway? You couldn't even hear Kate's keyboard properly... Anyway...) Really liked both the gig in Berlin and the one in Amsterdam.

Suede - oops, almost forgot that one. Awesome. Just... awesome. I didn't know whether I was going to like it, but... omg. Half of their first album - I mean, that's not so surprising, but... they played half of Suede and... several of my favourite songs off their other albums. And they sounded really good. The atmosphere was really nice, too.
Guessed wrote: Someone actually asked me today; "tell me about the music you like". Erm...how can I condense 18-20years of listening into a sentence. I could've quoted artists/producers that this person would never have heard of but where is the point in that. To me it's lazy and uninformative. However I also stopped myself short of offering to make a 10track playlist for this person; something I would've rattled out without thought about a year ago. It seems more important and focussed now and not to be tarnished in such a throw away manner.
Yeah, I know that problem. I couldn't tell other people. It means too much to me to give away information about... the most important thing in my life. And they wouldn't even be able to understand what I was talking about. And I think that the music I listen to is not THAT unknown, I mean... Spiritualized? There are a lot of bands that are not as well-known as they are. But even them... They're not really a band that everyone knows in Germany. It's a bit different in England, I guess. I don't really know about that, but that's the impression I got...
Guessed wrote: I think genre boundaries have been blurred which itself is a good thing as I don't particularly find genres useful however the "blurring" appears planned. I find the journalism (if you can call it that) a bit too manic, unconsidered and docile. I find my choices being schooled by other people first due to popularity being a "/search" filter.
But it's always been like that, even though I agree with you. It's become more like that nowadays though, sadly. I could never relate to "popularity" being THE important thing. There are thousands of unknown bands out there, who probably are... worth so much more than that and then a lot of reaaaaally bad music gets into the media and that's why people listen to it? That can't be right. I sometimes feel that even a lot of the music listeners don't really... believe in what they listen to. It seems like a weird kind of fashion to me. I don't listen to music to be in a certain group or to appeal to someone else. I mean... That's not my main objective. I listen to music because I genuinely enjoy it.
Guessed wrote: Anyway; this year I've decided to place far less importance on music/discovering music/thinking or talking about music. Hopefully this will permit me the time and silence to get rid of this troublesome obsessy irritable feeling I currently have.
I'm going to avoid most of the internet, newspapers, radio, magazines and tv also.
Hopefully my brain can return late 2011 empty and with a better appreciation of music (not sound as I've started to refer to it as!)

So, to you all I wish a Happy New Year and enjoy the music.

B,
S.
I have been ignoring most of the media during the last... three years? I think... It's not worth it. Of course that means I probably miss out on some good bands out there, but hey... It doesn't really matter. I am trying to look more for good music this year. I mean... I will try to do that. Because I don't want to be stuck feeling I have to choose between Vampire Weekend and Justin Bieber... I'd probably even choose Justin Bieber. :lol: (God, I didn't just say that...)

Have a nice year, too. I've been there several times, the first time in 2005. (Until I started a really bad obsession with Oasis... God, I want something like that in my life again. :lol: Oh well... I want to actually get into Sonic Youth, so maybe... Maybe that helps...)
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

spzretent wrote:I dont think Guessed's post was something one can simply write off as thinking maybe he is depressed. He went into great length as to why he feels like this. Over stimulation without a great payoff maybe.
I'd say the same. I mean... even if depression was a factor... I can definitely see reasons for that. A lot of music out there I don't seem to connect to anymore. (I have some bands that I still enjoy a lot, but...) It starts with things like TV. I mean... MTV was never the best channel out there, but it's gotten even more ridiculous. A good six years ago, a lot of good music would still be featured there, nowadays it's only Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber and... I don't have to go on. Kings Of Leon were the best thing when I switched on the TV a couple of months ago and considering Kings Of Leon have joined the armed forces of the MTV armada, this says a lot...

Labelling music with one tag has always been a very dangerous thing to do. Puts me off most music in the first place.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010