Electronic / Techno Documentary

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Electronic / Techno Documentary

Post by TheWarmth »

I watched this documentary last night and really enjoyed it. I was surprised at how many of the artists I was familiar with, even though I am not a techno aficionado by any stretch of the imagination.

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/episode/2527- ... -in-code/1
niamhm
Known user

Re: Electronic / Techno Documentary

Post by niamhm »

not a tech/electronic music freak I do like quite a lot ,cool doc. always good to see people so committed to what their into ,quite inspiring.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Unfortunately I can't view this on my patchy 3G connection but certainly the atists appeal.

Did it have a berlin based feel as the roster is from Bpitch and Kompakt.

Voigt is a genius; a total nut with his nut screwed on. The minimal edged Berlin Techno can be quite unforgiving (believe me) but Voigt always adds the humour and the warmth. If you did enjoy some of the music but wanted a slightly alternative take there's Ostgut Ton (I think that spelling is correct)...a very up and coming label and some of the Berghain series of releases are excellent. Berghain/Panorama Bar is thee big club in Berlin.

Berlin Calling is also an enjoyable film (film proper) about a DJ, his quest to complete a new album, battling his demons etc, etc...kinda like one flew over the cuckoos nest on high NRG MaDMAn.

Be Well,

Stuart
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, there's a lot of footage from Germany. It's mostly split between Boston & Cambridge, MA (that's where the documentary makers lived at the time) and Germany, with a bit of Barcelona mixed in. It's neat seeing the Kompakt offices and record store, plus there are a ton of great interviews with those guys as well as Ellen Allien (Bpitch) and loads more. Modeselektor are in it a lot. Also, the Monolake bits are really great. I didn't know he created Ableton Live. Guy seems like a genius. I love his latest album, Silence.