New LGM & PP reissues

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Broc
Known user

New LGM & PP reissues

Post by Broc »

Looks like Plain are reissuing these albums, just saw this on Amazon.com, seems a decent price. I was happy enough with the job they did with Ladies & Gents. The original Pure Phase goes for crazy prices so this is a no-brainer for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Lazer-Guided-Melo ... 323&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Phase-Spirit ... 604&sr=1-4
Noddy
Known user

Re: New LGM & PP reissues

Post by Noddy »

If you look hard you can get both originals for around the same price as these re-presses, I got Pure Phase less than a year ago for £25, granted its not in mint condition, but your right it is scarce. I got LGM for around £25 3 years ago.
Must admit I am all for re-presses, its not right LPs going for over £100 (Ladies and Gents eg), I was happy with that Plain re-press, only draw back being the inner sleeves were dog-eared upon breaking the seal. It still looks great, and sound wise I am more than happy.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Mentioned on another thread that we'd just got a record player, first for 10+ years. Currently giving LGM a spin - looks in good condition, no visible scratches, great sound, but still a bit crackly - and this is how I remember it from when it came out. So, a re-press may not actually go amiss.

Doubt it'll come with the free 7'" this time though,

sm-iom
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I plan to add that LGM to my collection. Pure Phase I like less both musically and in terms of the sleeve art, so I think I'll let that one go.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Noddy wrote:If you look hard you can get both originals for around the same price as these re-presses, I got Pure Phase less than a year ago for £25, granted its not in mint condition, but your right it is scarce.
Did you find these in shops in the UK? Us 'merican folks are completely out of luck when it comes to finding them in shops.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

yeah i'm pretty sure he's not speaking for the US

ive had these pre-ordered for a while now.. think someone else posted this before
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I believe Plain Records is out of San Francisco, so they shouldn't be hard to find in U.S. stores. I bought L&G at Dave's Records and I saw another copy at Permanent (both here in Chicago).

I just bought the Plain reissue of Pulp's This Is Hardcore, though, and I don't think it sounds very good.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i think we were referring to the original issues
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Kurious Oranj wrote:i think we were referring to the original issues
Yeah, the originals are extremely hard to physically find in the US. I've never seen an original vinyl pressing of LGM, PP, or L&G in a shop over here.

That said, if any of you overseas friends finds a decent quality Pure Phase for the said ~25 quid and would like to send it to me for a reimbursement, I would not object. :)
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

TheWarmth wrote:I just bought the Plain reissue of Pulp's This Is Hardcore, though, and I don't think it sounds very good.
Just a heads up...I came across an original copy of This Is Hardcore @ Academy Records on 12th in the East Village, NYC three weeks ago. They might still have it. Missed out by minutes on a vinyl copy for Broadcast - The Noise Made By People by someone calling in for it while I was in the store. "Worst timing I've ever seen" per the employee!!! :lol:
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Noddy wrote:If you look hard you can get both originals for around the same price as these re-presses, I got Pure Phase less than a year ago for £25, granted its not in mint condition, but your right it is scarce. I got LGM for around £25 3 years ago.
Must admit I am all for re-presses, its not right LPs going for over £100 (Ladies and Gents eg), I was happy with that Plain re-press, only draw back being the inner sleeves were dog-eared upon breaking the seal. It still looks great, and sound wise I am more than happy.
The last few Pure Phase LPs have gone for over £40 on Ebay and other online prices are nuts so I'm happy with this. Yeah LGM can be got fairly handily though I wonder will it be a better pressing? I'm not as obsessive about originals with Spiritualized than S3 or Spectrum.

Looks like Plain are also releasing the first two Sparklehorse albums on vinyl too on the same date, awful timing after xmas! It takes a lot of willpower not to order all four.