LAGWAFIS Show Dublin NCH Aug 10th 2013

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

Spiby
Known user

LAGWAFIS Show Dublin NCH Aug 10th 2013

Post by Spiby »

sunray
Known user

Re: LAGWAFIS Show Dublin NCH Aug 10th 2013

Post by sunray »

Fucking Hell, that's a bolt out of the blue. I thought they were done with all that? Anyways, hope I manage to snag tickets.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Wow, great news! Very surprising. Hopefully this won't be an acoustic show. Just need to get a ticket now!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

that's a bit odd isn't it! but will be cool for those that get to see it.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Gasp! Very cool.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

this is so random? thought J said he was finished with all this.
the tweet says it's with all the trimmings, so def not just an acoustic show
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Great news, already provisionally booked a hotel, but having real trouble finding a decent flight from Germany. It seems that getting to Dublin isn't as easy as it used to be. Maybe they'll do some more shows, what about the beautiful Opera House in Malaga? I seem to remember them doing a gig two years in a row there, I went to the second one in 2009 and it was one of the best shows I've seen.
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

This looks like a one off performance for the National Concert Halls Summer festival 2013. Great booking. I missed this first time round and the acoustics in there are second to none and its a ten minute walk from my front door.

"This show is the only world performance of Ladies and Gentlemen in 2013."

link to NCH site with full details ...

https://www.nch.ie/Online/default.asp?d ... F611ACEFE4

... I'm researching which are the best seats for this at the moment ...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I must have the best girlfriend in the world. Due to her involvement in "The Orts" (ahem), she's managed to blag us 2 free tickets for this :D That's almost marriage material. Almost :wink:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

You can propose at the gig Sunray...it's the least you can do :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Ticket booked, really looking forward to this, wonder what they'll do as an encore. I thought that playing Out of Sight was a bit of a waste of the resources at their disposal at the earlier shows. Probably not Silent Night as it's in August, but I would plump for Let it Flow, as it's back in the set list and the whoah whoahs with a full choir would be mindblowing. Or a full-on 15 minute Feel So Sad...
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

After the amazing Newcastle Academy show (October 2008) that massively improved on the slightly underwhelming KOKO gig from early in the A&E tour, I seem to be one of the few who was a bit underwhelmed with the LAGWAFIS Sage gig just over a year later.

And at the RAH in 2011 I was reinvigorated to the live Spiritualized experience, with a superior live gig that was fresh and truly spectacular.

Given the recent 'catering' analogy, more LAGWAFIS gigs seem at odds with Spaceman's current thinking. If they wanted to do another Don't Look Back type thing, I'd see more mileage in, and personally much prefer to see Let It Come Down given the complete treatment.

I think more than any other in the Spiritualized cannon, that album would benefit from a large scale full performance, and could be toured to other large venues with confidence of a good box office and enthusiastic reception ... of course other's opinion's may vary :wink:

However I can appreciate Irish folks' keenness, given they didn't get a LAG show 1st time round. But having thoroughly enjoyed the one I saw (in context with my earlier comments), I certainly wouldn't travel any distance to see it again, though I appreciate others will feel differently!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Great, booked! Not cheap but at least there's no extra booking/handling charges, glad it's a weekend show too.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Shinesalight wrote:You can propose at the gig Sunray...it's the least you can do :wink:
Shhh... :lol:
mojo filters wrote:And at the RAH in 2011 I was reinvigorated to the live Spiritualized experience, with a superior live gig that was fresh and truly spectacular.
However I can appreciate Irish folks' keenness, given they didn't get a LAG show 1st time round. But having thoroughly enjoyed the one I saw (in context with my earlier comments), I certainly wouldn't travel any distance to see it again, though I appreciate others will feel differently!
I'd go along with that. I enjoyed the SHSL gig in the Albert Hall 18 months ago more than the LAGWAFIS gig in the Royal Festival Hall. I wouldn't travel abroad again to see another LAG gig, but when its in my own country there is absolutely no way i'm gonna miss it!
So how many international members are considering coming over? It's on a Saturday night, so you could make a weekend of it! :wink:
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I'm there, this will be the first time in Ireland, having seen SPZ in England, Scotland, Wales, Holland, Germany, USA, Spain, Denmark, Sweden and Luxemburg.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote:So how many international members are considering coming over? It's on a Saturday night, so you could make a weekend of it! :wink:
Do you know what, I was seriously considering coming over for this but Brighton is having its inaugural Psych Fest that weekend which has already got my name on it.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

sunray wrote: So how many international members are considering coming over? It's on a Saturday night, so you could make a weekend of it! :wink:
I bought a ticket for this and now deciding if I should to go for just Saturday night, Friday and Saturday nights, Saturday and Sunday nights or Friday until Monday.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel? Preferably near to the venue.

(I hope it's better than a gig I saw at the Tripod.)
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Shaun wrote:
sunray wrote: So how many international members are considering coming over? It's on a Saturday night, so you could make a weekend of it! :wink:
I bought a ticket for this and now deciding if I should to go for just Saturday night, Friday and Saturday nights, Saturday and Sunday nights or Friday until Monday.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel? Preferably near to the venue.

(I hope it's better than a gig I saw at the Tripod.)
Hi Shaun, if I was going for two nights I'd do Friday and Saturday nights as Sunday will be much quieter. With regard to hotels, generally speaking the northside will be cheaper than the southside as it's a bit 'grittier'. The venue is basically on St Stephen's Green on the southside and they'll be pricey as it's August.

Anyway after a quick search using Travel Lodge hotels a double room is €61 on August 10th and it's a few hundred meters from St. Stephen's Green, personally I'd jump at that. Dunno if it includes breakfast. Hope this helps.

http://www.travelodge.ie/search_and_boo ... 0&from=map

Sorry, I typed the wrong dates, it's €129 for a double room on that date. If you come across some places that are good value I can let you know if they're OK. Would you try a BnB?
Known user

@ Shaun ... if you're on a budget this place is just around the corner from the NCH ....

http://harringtonhousedublin.weebly.com/index.html

Booked seat Q16 in the centre of the stalls for myself.

I reckon the balcony is a bit far away from the stage for this show. ... for anyone booking seats it seems the seats in the stalls start to slope upwards from row L so the view is at eye level and the sound is at its best around the central seats in row S.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Thank you for the tips and advice. After initially thinking the flight was at a reasonable price, I had not factored in the cost of adding one checked-in bag each way, the train fare to and from the airport this end and of course, the bus fare to and from the airport in Dublin. (How much is that?) I looked at coach and ferry fares (where I do not have to pay for checking in a bag and airport transfers both ends) and the total was less than the original airfare. The only drawback is it is overnight both ways but having made the journey once before I know what to expect. For that reason I booked 2 nights (Fri/Sat) at a place which I think is near to the coach station. It's called Wynn's Hotel. Any thoughts on that place? As for my ticket, well I'm sat down the front simply because I would like to take along my decent camera and hopefully take some decent 'photos. By the way, feel free to buy me a Guinness as I'm sure I would enjoy it.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Shaun - Bring a small bag for the flights and then when they ask for volunteers to check their bags, talk to desk and they'll check it for free. In America it works like a charm!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

toomilk wrote:Shaun - Bring a small bag for the flights and then when they ask for volunteers to check their bags, talk to desk and they'll check it for free. In America it works like a charm!
protip, listen to it
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

toomilk wrote:Shaun - Bring a small bag for the flights and then when they ask for volunteers to check their bags, talk to desk and they'll check it for free. In America it works like a charm!
Let me explain it more: bring your bag to the gate as if you will carry it on. They will almost always ask people if there are volunteers to check their carry-ons (of my 8 flights this past trip, they did it for every single one!). If you volunteer, they check your bag for free.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Too late now as I've already booked up the coach journey. Here's a top tip if you're travelling over here and thinking about doing the same, and that is NEVER expect Ryanair to do anything like that. Sounds great but I can't imagine that happening on this occasion.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Shaun wrote: the bus fare to and from the airport in Dublin. (How much is that?) For that reason I booked 2 nights (Fri/Sat) at a place which I think is near to the coach station. It's called Wynn's Hotel. Any thoughts on that place?
The private coach (http://www.aircoach.ie/) from the airport to the city centre is about €13 return (~30mins) and it stops at a number of places throughout the city so no need to book a hotel near the coach station. You can also get public transport (Dublin Bus) from the airport to town and back for about €3 each way (~45 mins).

Personally speaking I'd choose a different hotel to Wynn's if you can get a comparable price. Like I said earlier it can get a little 'gritty' around there late at night and most likely you'll be hanging around the southside on the night of the gig. I don't mean to offend any northside Dubliners with that comment, I live in a gritty part of the southside!
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I'll have a look at other places although I think places near the venue go above my budget, and I'm not keen on a B&B to be honest. I will probably even have a drink around there, as well as Oyster Stout at the Porterhouse.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I was just gonna drive down n head home after the show, but if there's gonna be a party atmosphere I might stay over.. Dunno.. I'd like to have a few drinks, but I'd also like to go home. Plenty of time yet to decide I suppose..

I'm usually not too keen on these album shows but I figured I'd give it a go & that it's a spz gig at the end of the day..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Known user

National Concert Hall, Dublin, Ireland's photos ...
Attachments
486746_10151636649695907_1884674456_n.jpg
486746_10151636649695907_1884674456_n.jpg (63.06 KiB) Viewed 9224 times
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Did a count on the NCH website and there are 55 tickets left.

Amazing what a bit of rain will have me looking up :oops:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

ha ^
boredom is the enemy.

you didn't count how many the venue actually holds?!

hopefully the summer weather returns by aug 10th.
like to lay back in the sun have a few wee drinks & smokes before heading into gloom of a spaceman gig.
you wouldn't think it but spz are a good summer time band. they're perfect to herald the night after sunny day.

a couple of my mates were thinking of heading down but when they saw the seats that were left they got discouraged. i said to them i'd keep an eye on here if anyone is trying to get rid of tix..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
fritz
New user

Post by fritz »

7 of us coming down from the north for this plus another 3 we met at the holmfirth show who decided to make the trip over & join us , seated in the stalls - rows L & M , roll on saturday week !
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Twitter account says there're only 15 tickets left for this show. I wish I could go!
Known user

toomilk wrote:Twitter account says there're only 15 tickets left for this show. I wish I could go!
Try on here ... http://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17700

I've gotten tickets on there at the last minute for sold out shows and tickets must be sold at face value or less according to site rules.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So Kevin is in Dublin? Does this mean he will be playing?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just rang the NCH and they said that Spiritualized will be ON STAGE at 8pm.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

cheers 4 the info.

last time i travelled to see them in galway i ended up missing their set completely cause they were on stage so early.

fwiw i'll be one of the guys sitting smoking by himself people watching beforehand if anyone feels like saying hello. heading off soon, just decided what to listen to on the journey down. tough decision.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Thought it was really good.

A bit short tho. I was only getting comfortable when it was already over.

Encore was Outta Sight & Oh Happy Day. Think LiCD would lend itself a little better to the complete works, a bit more for the orchestra & choir to get their teeth into.
Still it was great fun nonetheless. Stay w/Me Cool Waves All of my Thoughts probably stood out but it was all delivered superbly.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Hmm... for me that was an odd one. Good gig played well, yet I felt completely disengaged from it.

It was the old line-up plus John Coxon. I guess the new band would be under-rehearsed in this material?

The sound was clear but the guitars and bass lacked any punch, there was no bottom end in them. It was almost as if there was a thin film between the stage and the audience that prevented the guitars from having a full impact.
Even though I had misgivings about the RFH '09 gig I think I preferred it, the band played with more aggression that night.

Highlights were Stay With Me and All Of My Thoughts. Low point was the encore. If you have "all the trimmings" and you're going to play a song off LICD do Won't Get To Heaven, as that would be a real treat. Then perhaps follow it up with a full length Feel So Sad. I guess Jason figured he should give the Irish audience exactly what everywhere else got and that's fair enough, just a bit disappointing that he missed an opportunity to do something really special imo. And I mean that for all the L&G gigs, not just last night.

Like I said, a weird one for me. I know it was good but I felt no emotional, spiritual or physical connection to any of it :?

For the fame spotters: Aiden Gillen was there.

Shaun, great to meet up again for a chat and a beer.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

fantastic gig
my only gripes
1: the first song...sound was all over the shop but from All of my thoughts on the band were well locked in and didnt, for me, have that by the numbers feel some of their gigs have had in the past.
A standing ovation so well received (I mentioned this on another post: didnt see this thread)

2: sitting down. I blame the bassist for that.

My better half finally got their free jazz element :D
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

sunray wrote:Hmm... for me that was an odd one. Good gig played well, yet I felt completely disengaged from it.

Low point was the encore. If you have "all the trimmings" and you're going to play a song off LICD do Won't Get To Heaven, as that would be a real treat. Then perhaps follow it up with a full length Feel So Sad.

Like I said, a weird one for me. I know it was good but I felt no emotional, spiritual or physical connection to any of it :?

For the fame spotters: Aiden Gillen was there.
i actually shared a few of these feelings, especially in the early portion of the show.
it didn't make it for me on that level, the album doesn't do it for me on that level anymore either so i wasn't expecting it to. i think that's something that will always be sacrificed at one of these shows where bands play an album thru.
but every so often something did break the facade and plugged me back into that connection.
& i really did think at the time Feel So Sad would've been perfect for the moment.
but overall it was more 'nice' than mindblowing. but rather than deflating it was still invigorating for conjuring mixed emotions. some of it i enjoyed a lot some of it didn't make it for me but overall it left me smiling.
which is more i can say for aidan gillen. he looked a dour guy. i met him @ the bar during electricity, i assume we'd both heard that song often enough to use it as a piss-break. he passed himself w/me & that was that. i wasn't going to stop & chat & he looked like he wanted to be left alone, but he wasn't an asshole he prob just has one of those lugubrious faces. he presented the other voices special w/them so i wasn't surprised to see him.

there were a lot of empty seats tho.
Hedspace wrote: my only gripes

2: sitting down. I blame the bassist for that.
aye he didn't offer much, seemed a bit uncomfortable and/or bored during the extended numbers like Think I'm in Love. he didn't seem invested in the material at all, he was a bit of a downer.
i actually enjoyed the seats & the venue. tho the policy of having to wait til the song was over might've ruffled my feathers had i been drunk. there were a group of yahoo's, the one's dancing to Oh Happy Day & one of the women was giving off about not being able to get to here seat saying she thought she was coming to a rock n roll show. i had a little bit of sympathy for her but it seems every time i go to a gig in dublin there's at least one yahoo who lacks consideration for anyone else.

i thought the energy in the room was terrific & probably contributed to making the gig a little better than it was. like i say i didn't really get the connection w/the music/album that i used to have - it's been a long time living w/that record & a long time since i lived thru it - but the energy & feedback from the crowd really felt like a proper community, a community celebrating something. i don't get that very often & it was really nice, it's just a shame it was over so soon (albeit 2hrs+, but really only 14 songs).
gonna burn brightly
for a while
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Poor Aiden Gillen. Still probably upset about getting murdered and his plane destroyed by Bane.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

jack white wrote:Think LiCD would lend itself a little better to the complete works, a bit more for the orchestra & choir to get their teeth into.
That was pretty much my thoughts about halfway through the Sage Ladies and Gentlemen... show.

Whilst it was a really enjoyable event, I began to get slightly bored at a couple of points - this led me to think how much better the show would have been if we got at a minimum 3-4 Let it Come Down tracks, and how great most of the songs from that underrated album would sound when played by such a great, huge musical ensemble; and how much better they'd sound than some of the material I was hearing at the time.

However I'm sure other punters have different ideas about what they would ideally want to hear ... the only really fair way would be to aggregate fans' choices beforehand, a bit like the way Belle & Sebastian take requests for their gigs via their website Q&A. That doesn't really sound like a particularly Spiritualized way of doing things however, and for good reason.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle