Comets! on fire...

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

ro
Known user

Comets! on fire...

Post by ro »

Comets On Fire will be playing their first show together since 2008 next month at the White Horse Inn on 26th November in Oakland California. The band will then head to the UK where they will headline ATP's “Netil House Take Over” in London’s on 29th November following up with a performance at ATP’s “End of An Era Part 2” on 30th November.

FULL DATES:
26-Nov CA Oakland The White Horse Inn
29-Nov UK London Netil House
30-Nov UK Camber Sands All Tomorrow's Parties 'End of an Era Pt. 2'

http://ymlp.com/zVb3r1
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Comets! on fire...

Post by runcible »

...another blow for us northerners. Would love to have seen those guys!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah they are hardly pushing the boat out with tourdates are they?
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

hmmm...i think we played a show opening for these guys years ago, had no idea they were still around. great sound live i do remember.

thanks.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Another thread back from the dead!

https://thequietus.com/articles/30629-e ... owlin-rain

Just to highlight this article which is a great read through Ethan Miller's career.
Apparently most of a 5th album was recorded and is sitting on a hard drive, but it fizzled out. And Field Recordings From The Sun was going to be a double record so there's a whole bunch of stuff from that.
Dust it off, get it released in a double set and take my money Ethan!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Thanks for that John, 'twas a good read. It also alerted me to The Odyssey Cult who i'd never heard of but will be investigating.

I'd like to say i'll revisit Comets now but too much music and so little time. Still have to set aside a moment for the new Howlin' Rain album which seems like it might be good.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah definitely a good read, I was also unaware of The Odyssey Cult too. generally I check out everything Ethan's involved with though. the Heron Oblivion album is also a cracker, glad that a second LP is not too far away apparently.
I think Ethan speaks pretty eloquently and passionately about music, I reckon he could easily have a Julian Cope type sideline as a writer.

Comets are always on the menu for me.. genuinely one of my top bands. trying to collect all the live bootlegs they released on his label.. found myself looking at a far too expensive t shirt on ebay the other day too! :/

I had my first full listen to the new Howlin Rain, I enjoyed it (especially the title track) but I still generally think they are too breezy at times for me. I really like the first track though, quite proggy with its twists and turns and the violin weaving through it. and the 16 minute title track is great.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:20 pm I had my first full listen to the new Howlin Rain, I enjoyed it (especially the title track) but I still generally think they are too breezy at times for me.
I know what you mean. It's all just too American and Classic rock for me. I didn't even listen to the last album. In saying that, the new one has its moments; Rotoscope and the title track being the highlights for me but probably still a bit too clean and, as you say, breezy.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:11 pm
angelsighs wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:20 pm I had my first full listen to the new Howlin Rain, I enjoyed it (especially the title track) but I still generally think they are too breezy at times for me.
I know what you mean. It's all just too American and Classic rock for me. I didn't even listen to the last album. In saying that, the new one has its moments; Rotoscope and the title track being the highlights for me but probably still a bit too clean and, as you say, breezy.
there's a pretty nice live version of Rotoscope here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hewGjajYODg

yeah, there's still a lot to enjoy in Howlin Rain, even if they aren't 100% my kind of thing. it definitely has that US west coast feel, when the guitars double up it also makes me think of the Allman Brothers band or something like that. in terms of more recent stuff, it reminds me of Jonathan Wilson. but I find his stuff more compelling for some reason.