The Jesus and Mary Chain to perform trio of UK 'Psychocandy'

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

The Dr
Known user

The Jesus and Mary Chain to perform trio of UK 'Psychocandy'

Post by The Dr »

London The Troxy (November 19)
Manchester Academy (20)
Glasgow Barrowlands (21)
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
James T
Known user

Re: The Jesus and Mary Chain to perform trio of UK 'Psychoca

Post by James T »

Can't wait!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Psychocandy is a classic album in my opinion. infact it's the only JAMC stuff I have any interest in.
why do I get the feeling this might be shit though?
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Hopefully william wont be hammered

---
loveisforver.org
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Not to piss on the parade, but having seen JAMC live 3 times in the 80s and early 90s, seeing them in 2012 was dreadful -- a mere shadow of their former sound. Trotting out Psychocandy at this point makes me cringe.
I think I feel it coming on
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'm a massive Mary Chain fan (joint fave band, along with the Spacemen) but i too have serious reservations about this. Since they reformed in 2007 i haven't seen or heard anything that suggests they will be able to pull this off.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I've never had the chance to see them, and as it is only down the road from me I am happy to fork out and see them. I prefer darklands, myself, but I'm really interested to see how this turns out. Kevin toomilk is coming over again, too!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

purespace wrote:Not to piss on the parade, but having seen JAMC live 3 times in the 80s and early 90s, seeing them in 2012 was dreadful -- a mere shadow of their former sound. Trotting out Psychocandy at this point makes me cringe.
Not going to disagree with you, saw them in 2008 and it was patchy compared to some earlier gigs I`ve seen by them, but they always were a hit and miss affair live, saw them do some great gigs and some pretty bad gigs ,but the chance to see them in the Barrowlands on a Friday night again?? I`m trying for a ticket, just hope I`m not left disappointed by the show, actually I`ve never saw a band play an album through - except Spiritualized with Sweet Heart Sweet Light, but that's different - its never really appealed, a greatest hits type show inside would be fine by me, as last time I saw them was outside, which is never the best,
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

niamhm wrote:....but the chance to see them in the Barrowlands on a Friday night again??
With that, you've just sealed how awesome that evening potentially could be! If only more bands would play there instead of the fucking corporate-sponsored aircraft hangars south of the river.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the year, but I've only known Psychocandy as an album for about 6 months?

It was always one of those classic records I was gonna bump heads with... eventually. I actually really enjoyed hearing it properly for the first time. It's like a really pure form of pop. Distilled pop. Triple distilled even.

Anyway - hope they get in Bobby Gillespie for the drums... :wink:
O P 8
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Whilst it's an impressive debut, I never think of Psychocandy as the classic so many others rate it. I think the only truly great J&MC album is Honey's Dead ... certainly to justify the cost of travelling to one of these gigs to myself, that's the only one I'd be happy to pay for.

Given the lacklustre response of fans (and from what I saw on YouTube) to recent performances - I think their recent form is sufficient cause for concern. However if one of the Psychocandy gigs was local it would be a different matter. I wonder if ticket sales are very buoyant, whether they will schedule a few more UK gigs?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Very interesting reading other people's assessment of this non event.
Always a massive disappointment live.
They have run out of chances from me.
Heavy Tourism
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

Frustrated that I can't fly to the UK for these, but McGee mentioned in an interview the band will tour America before the UK dates and there will be festival dates in 2015.. hopefully I'll be able to make some of the US dates
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

They were awesome live back in the day, just not since what 2008? I didnt see them then, but I did in, was it 2013? They weren't that good then. Based on those performances, I cant imagine flying over the pond for them, or any band imo. Crap, my wife thinks in obsessive for going to 4 or sometimes 5 gigs in a week! Lol

This is coming to the states

---
loveisforver.org
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Just listened to the LP.
Then to a bootleg lp from 28/4/1988.

I really don't see how they can do Psychocandy live.
Though i still really enjoyed the LP i was thinking how what i was listening to was, in a way an over produced boy band. i was looking at the sleeve and remembering how cool i found the whole idea of it all those years ago and how great the record sounds. How much i was looking forward to seeing them that first time... and how far short the live presentation of it was.
Heavy Tourism
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

oddly enough i got to see the very last marychain gig and the very first comeback gig. also saw them 3-4 times earlier. every single time i saw them it was pretty shitty unfortunately. technical problems, sound issues, blown amps, on stage fighting. you name it, pretty much anything that can go wrong will go wrong at a marychain gig.

i don't think in any way they can pull off doing Pyschocandy live. it just aint gonna work. if douglas hart is playing the 2 stringed bass and bobby g is slashing at the drums it might work. just might!

come to think of it the best gigs i saw was around the Stoned and Dethroned era.

awww back in the day i was such a marychain fan. those were the days indeed.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

pale blue eyes wrote:every single time i saw them it was pretty shitty unfortunately.

come to think of it the best gigs i saw was around the Stoned and Dethroned era.

awww back in the day i was such a marychain fan. those were the days indeed.
I think the best one i saw was in 1995. They had a really cool back projection. Actual film! And they were competent, but lifeless. I think that was the 4/5th time i'd seen them and they didn't get another chance until the reunion.

Yep, they were so, so cool around 1985-1989.
pale blue eyes wrote:if douglas hart is playing the 2 stringed bass and bobby g is slashing at the drums it might work. just might!
I know what yr saying there but the recordings from 85 etc sound nothing like the LP either. As i said, when i listen to Psychocandy now i hear massive overproduction and an idea of a band. And looking at the videos etc again i see this idea of a cool band. I have no doubt that the band never had anything to do with the kind of stylist that might be involved with other pop groups but the visual thing was a massive part of it.
Heavy Tourism
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

[/quote]I know what yr saying there but the recordings from 85 etc sound nothing like the LP either. As i said, when i listen to Psychocandy now i hear massive overproduction and an idea of a band. And looking at the videos etc again i see this idea of a cool band. I have no doubt that the band never had anything to do with the kind of stylist that might be involved with other pop groups but the visual thing was a massive part of it.[/quote]

it would be brilliant if that lineup bashed through 2/3 of psychocandy and then fucked off. as for the image ohh yeah definitely. i remember being a kid and seeing them and realizing, yep that's for me. they had that great appearance of a gang, especially in the video for 'you trip me up'. they looked real in a time of some really cheezy pop-styled crap.

sadly william is starting to look more like george wendt. :(

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I'm dissappointed so many people are quick to dismiss them and these gigs. Yeah, their previous (more recent shows) haven't been the best, their original shows were often shambolic, choatic affairs and they have probably picked the wrong album to play through completely to TRY and create a good show... BUT its the bloody Mary Chain... surely history would suggest its going to be a fucking shambles and there is every possibility it could be absolutely terrible AND they do still have a large cult following.

They've never played Scotland previously since the original days and i was never lucky enough to get to see them so its still a big deal for me to get this chance. The Glasgow show sold out in 40mins i heard which would suggest a full Barrowlands for a Mary Chain show... that should go a long way to create a good atmosphere.

I'm under absolutely no illusions as to how this might turn out, BUT i will give the band a chance and i will be able to tick them off my Would Love To See list too!

And as for commenting on the band members because they have aged/filled out... thats a bit poor. Don't recall there ever being any digs at the older, rather rotund Kevin Shields when MBV announced their new shows. If Jason filled out a bit, would we be suggesting the shows would be poorer for it? I doubt it...
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Laz69 wrote:and i was never lucky enough to get to see them so its still a big deal for me to get this chance
I hear you on that one . Yeah, totally understand that "never saw them first time" vibe - maybe i wish there were more bands i felt that way about.
I've made my point, am interested that a few other shared by view and I'll leave it there. I hope my observations won't dampen your sense of excitement as November rolls round. Given the level of absolute adoration i had for them in 1988 if i was in your position I'd probably be thinking about going to all three!
pale blue eyes wrote:The Glasgow show sold out in 40mins i heard which would suggest a full Barrowlands for a Mary Chain show... that should go a long way to create a good atmosphere.
If it comes close to the atmosphere at Black Sabbath's Birmingham gig in May 2012 you'll have tears in those pale blue eyes.
Laz69 wrote:I'm under absolutely no illusions as to how this might turn out, BUT i will give the band a chance
Good for you!
Heavy Tourism
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

hey now don't get all bent about the fact that william looks like shit now because he sits around his house getting stoned and playing video games (sadly that's the truth). just ask him he'll tell you.

as for the gigs, maybe if you had seen them at any point in the past (with the exception of the S&D tours) you could understand some of our hesitation. as i said i was a massive fan and was never truly impressed with their live shows, and after seeing two relatively recent ones, for me it simply isn't worth it and it appears as a grab for cash if we are being honest, which by the way i have no problem with, everyone needs to make money. honestly i wish i could be excited about these gigs, but if you have never seen them before, hell yeah go for it. just don't expect miracles.

as for Kevin Shields, he's always looked like shit! :wink:

p/s no one ever suggested that size or age are determining factors of a good show or a good musician (dr. john anyone?), you added that opinion all on your own.
Last edited by pale blue eyes on Wed May 21, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

plastic...that wasn't my comment, but i have to confess that i have been to the site of the first Black Sabbath concert, and that in fact did bring a bit of a tear to these pale blue eyes. it was somewhere round Wigan if i remember right.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

pale blue eyes wrote:the site of the first Black Sabbath concert,
A major bone of historical contention my friend.

Check out my Sabbath history:
http://www.crossroadsofsabbath.com

recently endorsed by Stewart Lee: "It's very good", he said to one million + BBC2 viewers a few weeks ago.
The Crossroads of Sabbath (junction of the A34 and A4144 in Newtown, Birmingham) is the only place Sabbath fans should be shedding tears.
Heavy Tourism
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

ha! well done. cool website.

i should clarify, we were staying with some friends outside of Wigan and we ended up going out on the town somewhere and we meet they older guys in the pub and they were so proud of the fact that Sabbath played their first show here. they even insisted on showing us the place and yelling Sabbath tunes with air guitar solos. we were all pretty worse for the wear by that point so the tears were shed from laughter. a wonderful night indeed.

you do know i could have lived the rest of the never knowing the truth! :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

pale blue eyes wrote:hey now don't get all bent about the fact that william looks like shit now because he sits around his house getting stoned and playing video games (sadly that's the truth). just ask him he'll tell you.

as for the gigs, maybe if you had seen them at any point in the past (with the exception of the S&D tours) you could understand some of our hesitation. as i said i was a massive fan and was never truly impressed with their live shows, and after seeing two relatively recent ones, for me it simply isn't worth it and it appears as a grab for cash if we are being honest, which by the way i have no problem with, everyone needs to make money. honestly i wish i could be excited about these gigs, but if you have never seen them before, hell yeah go for it. just don't expect miracles.

as for Kevin Shields, he's always looked like shit! :wink:

p/s no one ever suggested that size or age are determining factors of a good show or a good musician (dr. john anyone?), you added that opinion all on your own.
Apologies. Since we were talking about the potential of the shows, it was lazy of me to assume your reference to William's current appearance would be an influence on the performance. Reading back i can see that you were possibily referring more to the band's iconic image. Obviously, even i can accept that things will have changed since then! :lol:

Have been following Alan McGee's posts on Facebook re: them and they are currently playing in South America. He claims the band are "tight", but will be interesting to hear how these shows go to see how "tight" they actually are.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

plastic37 wrote:
pale blue eyes wrote:the site of the first Black Sabbath concert,
A major bone of historical contention my friend.

Check out my Sabbath history:
http://www.crossroadsofsabbath.com

recently endorsed by Stewart Lee: "It's very good", he said to one million + BBC2 viewers a few weeks ago.
As an avid fan of Stewart Lee and being very familiar with his comedy, I would suggest that one can't necessarily assume he actually believes everything he espouses during his stand-up routine ;)
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

new dates

Glasgow Barrowlands (23)
London Troxy (24)

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

pale blue eyes wrote: p/s no one ever suggested that size or age are determining factors of a good show or a good musician (dr. john anyone?), you added that opinion all on your own.

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I failed to get a ticket last week in what seems to have been some kinda fiasco as far as Barrowlands is concerned, sold out in quick smart time, then secondary agencies offering tickets at ridiculous prices minutes later, will be trying for one again tomorrow, strict instructions left with my man to hit the phones at 9.am-ish, I think I`ve seen the `Chain` maybe 8/9 times, and I think 5 have been truly memorable in a good way, Laz, they played the Connect Fest. in Scotland in 2008, only time since reforming, and it was great to see Jim & William after ... 13 yr for me, last saw them in `95( a great show at The Arches ), but it was a bit ropey, but you go see them and I`m sure William will still cut loose at times.
As for being able to pull off Psychocandy , what do you want? a screech perfect Xerox? they never did it then and they wont give you it now, but they can and have been playing most of it their whole career, looking at it just now , I`ve seen them playing 8 of the 14 tracks many times, the other ones it would be because they didn`t want to rather than they couldn`t, I don`t think it will be a problem at all,
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

niamhm wrote:Laz, they played the Connect Fest. in Scotland in 2008, only time since reforming, and it was great to see Jim & William after ... 13 yr for me, last saw them in `95( a great show at The Arches )
Well there you go. Had no idea the played here back in 2008.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ticket sorted for the 2nd date, and a possible guest list for the 1st. looking forward to this now, According to McGee`s Instagram account they appear to be demoing stuff in a studio in Chile, where their playing just now, interesting,
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Demoing new material? He didnt mention this on fb yet

---
loveisforver.org
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

burningwheel wrote:Demoing new material? He didnt mention this on fb yet

---
loveisforver.org
http://instagram.com/alanmcgee93

Half ways down a pic of William in the studio, as well a s numerous shots recording their S/American trip, McGee seems to all in with Instagram just now,
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I bought tickets to the Manchester show. Figured it would be a good time. Last time I saw them, they were horrible.

But hey, it got me to start planning a trip, which is great. :)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

You wanna stay on my denim sofa again?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My mate picked us up tickets for the London date in the end. A trip to see them up in Glasgow would have been great but I'm happy we're seeing them in London. J&MC are his favourite band and, unlike some, we were actually both very impressed when we saw them in Brixton back in 2008(?). I also saw them back on the Rollercoaster tour along with Blur, Dinosaur Jr and MBV and, unless my memory really is shot to bits, they were fucking awesome that night too.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Shinesalight wrote: I also saw them back on the Rollercoaster tour along with Blur, Dinosaur Jr and MBV and, unless my memory really is shot to bits, they were fucking awesome that night too.
Assuming you saw them in Brighton, I can confirm that, yes, they were!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ian wrote:
Shinesalight wrote: I also saw them back on the Rollercoaster tour along with Blur, Dinosaur Jr and MBV and, unless my memory really is shot to bits, they were fucking awesome that night too.
Assuming you saw them in Brighton, I can confirm that, yes, they were!
That's probably my biggest musical regret, not travelling over to catch any of those dates. I guess i couldn't afford it, can't think of any other reason why I didn't go. :(

We opted out of trying to get tickets for Psychocandy (well I did, the other half was keen). Seems odd that i wasn't too pushed to see my favourite band play the album that changed my life, but i just couldn't justify the money on a gig where my expectations would be so low.
Of course if they bring it to Ireland im there with bells on! I'm sure they will but probably at a festival. Which wouldn't be ideal.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

sunray wrote:I guess i couldn't afford it,
If my memory serves the tickets for the Rollercoaster tour were...
twelve pounds fifty.
And i remember buying direct from the Brixton Academy box office.
I wonder what JAMC. MBV, Blur and Dinosaur Jr on the same bill would cost in 2014?

I have no doubt that someone, maybe called Barry, has thought about letting that one roll once more.
Heavy Tourism
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I saw the Glasgow leg of the Rollercoaster tour, and the `Mary Chain were superb that night, I think the challenge of playing with the other bands really had them on their game, everything tight and no fuckin` about, another gig around the time of Sidewalking springs to mind as being more `professional` and all the better for it, compared to some of the more chaotic early gigs I saw,
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

James T wrote:You wanna stay on my denim sofa again?
Hell yes.