Spiritualized to play Citybreak 2014 in Seoul

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

suskind
Known user

Spiritualized to play Citybreak 2014 in Seoul

Post by suskind »

Citybreak is relatively new music festival organized & sponsored by a credit card company based in South Korea. Honestly, Spzd was the last band I had expected to see on the lineup for this massively commercial festival.

Saturday Aug 9th

The headliners are Ozzy Osbourne and Maroon 5, if anyone's interested!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Spiritualized to play Citybreak 2014 in Seoul

Post by BzaInSpace »

Awesome lineup!
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the rumour is Psy is gonna sit in with the band and sing on Cop Shoot Cop ;)
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

Spiritualized iin broad daylight.. imagine listening Shine A Light at 3 p.m. with a 31 degree heat

suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Beautiful photos, thanks for posting suskind
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Ha! Huh. What the hell?! Can anyone explain how they ended up on this bill?
Cool he picked up new backing singers but the incongruity of this will be what lives on. There must be a simple explanation..??
gonna burn brightly
for a while
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

One of the backing singers tells me that the festival contacted the singers at the band's request. Could be the same in HK tomorrow (hiring the local singers). Last time they played Australia, Japan & Taiwan they travelled with singers IIRC.

I wasn't there, but reportedly Jason wasn't happy they got 40 minutes only. They ended with Come Together.

More pics :)

The first Spz gig in my hometown and all, I wish I could have gone to this. ($100 is a bit much just to see them play for 40 mins but I can always sell my wristband.. like I did at a Coachella :mrgreen:)
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

It's cool about the back-up singers being local talent, but who are all of these other people in the band? Other than J. (obviously) and Doggen, I don't recognize a single member of the band... That's not Kid Millions on the drums, is it?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

These are the people that have played the last few shows with them. I think the drummer and bassist played on Let it Come Down? Someone talks about it on one of the LAGWAFIS in LA threads.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Did any footage/recording of this surface? Interested to hear how the s. Korean voices blended w/the band - kinda like the Icelandic acoustic mainlines girls brought something different...???
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

jack white wrote:Did any footage/recording of this surface? Interested to hear how the s. Korean voices blended w/the band - kinda like the Icelandic acoustic mainlines girls brought something different...???
The unique history of Iceland as a country surely accounts for any noticeable difference observed in your example. I don't think Korea has such been subjected to such geological isolation...

Even if there were a local flavour at the gig, by the time it gets distilled down to recordings - there are so many uncontrollable variables introduced, it would be naive to expect any difference of note, unless you had a pro recording taken direct from a split off the stage boxes - which potentially could highlight some minor local characteristics - but is more likely to highlight a mixture of the difference in local reading of sheet music, plus the characteristics of whatever mics were used on the backing vox (plus the rest of the ensemble to varying different degrees) and how much bleed from stage monitors got fed back, plus bleed from FOH as well as many other variables one cannot account for, and so on and so forth...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mojo filters wrote:Even if there were a local flavour at the gig, by the time it gets distilled down to recordings - there are so many uncontrollable variables introduced, it would be naive to expect any difference of note, unless you had a pro recording taken direct from a split off the stage boxes - which potentially could highlight some minor local characteristics - but is more likely to highlight a mixture of the difference in local reading of sheet music, plus the characteristics of whatever mics were used on the backing vox (plus the rest of the ensemble to varying different degrees) and how much bleed from stage monitors got fed back, plus bleed from FOH as well as many other variables one cannot account for, and so on and so forth...
While what you say is true from a technical point of view (kinda) there was very definitely a marked difference in flavour between the 2008 US Acoustic Mainline shows - on bootleg evidence alone! The West Coast shows featured singers more in the, I quote: "Leonard Cohen 'So Long Marianne'" style, or the back up on Ray Charles 'I Can't Stop Loving You', while the East Coast singers were drawn from pure gospel singers and sounded more like the Raelettes.

Definitely curious to hear what the Seoul singers sounded like.
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote: Definitely curious to hear what the Seoul singers sounded like.
:lol: Seoul singers. Clever. Thank you, I enjoyed that.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

8)
O P 8