FYF Fest (L.A.) August 23

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

Alex English
Known user

FYF Fest (L.A.) August 23

Post by Alex English »

Spiritualized are playing FYF Fest on Sunday, August 23

http://www.fyffest.com/

Hopefully this means more U.S dates around that time.
slide_song
Known user

Re: FYF Fest (L.A.) August 23

Post by slide_song »

did anyone here go to this festival? if so, please fill in the curious people like me :)
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

This just popped up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQI8IINqrcs
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Alex English wrote:This just popped up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQI8IINqrcs
One of the backing singers obviously missed Jason's pre-gig briefing. That is so funny. :D
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/spiritual ... 739e0.html

Other than SLYPT this appears to be the standard set for the summer,
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Very odd song to begin the set with. The epic quality surely lends it naturally to a set finisher or pre-encore place on the setlist.

I guess it comes from having been privileged to first hear that song live with the string section at the Royal Albert Hall gig. Of all the SHSL songs I've heard live subsequently - So Long... really doesn't seem to work that well, when performed by just the electric band.

On the other hand tracks like I Am What I Am, Get What You Deserve, Hey Jane and Headin' For the Top all work really nice with the regular electric band. It would be a shame if none were included on the set when they tour the new album, though that happened last time I believe.

It was a real shame the brilliant opener You Lie You Cheat never got played. Over the year or so Jason toured A+E Doggen just got better and better combining fast bluesy runs with whammy bar action and psychedelic white noise, at the end of the song. After each gig I lost interest in playing my own guitar as I knew I'd never be able to play so impressively.

It seems odd not to include Hey Jane as a setlist staple - if only to help persuade casual fans in the audience that Sweet Heart, Sweet Light is worth buying.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I know dozens of people who watched their set and they all said it was great. The consensus was that the sound was a bit off for the first couple of songs, but once it was dialed in, the band and audience were really into it. "Vaporized" was one of the words used.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I was pleasantly surprised by the Glastonbury set, which is the only recent live footage I've seen. The broadcast was up to the usual BBC OB high standard. I thought the performance was among the best I'd seen, especially some of the songs I've not always enjoyed so much when actually at gigs. The new band line up sounded really tight, plus they seemed to have tweaked some arrangements to make certain songs sound even better. What surprised me most was how good Soul On Fire sounded; I don't ever recall liking that so much at any electric gig previously - though it may partly be due to the quality of the OB mix, which may have been better than the FOH mix.

It's good to hear folks are reporting good things about recent gigs - I hope a really good quality boot turns up at some point, preferably a longer gig than the typical festival. I'm even more envious now of folks lucky enough to be going to Brudenell - that should be a great gig! They posted some details of their improved PA, which looked very impressive. I hope some kind soul manages to record that gig, especially as they could potentially play a longer set, even though Jason made it sound quite certain he wasn't likely to start playing new material again before the next album release.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle