Just announced

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

spaced
Known user

Just announced

Post by spaced »

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Just announced

Post by BzaInSpace »

Cheers - that sounds really interesting.
O P 8
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I'd be all over that but its the day I move house! ARRRGH
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Well my wife and I went along to this, and we both found the experience incredibly intense. The event was sold out, and having watched the Station to Station documentary in the same room that afternoon we were a bit concerned that we'd struggle to see either the band or film in the evening. It wasn't a big room, the film was projected on all four walls, the stage filled about a third of the room, and the floor was dotted with mats and beanbags.

As it happens, the number of tickets must've been pretty limited - I reckon maybe 100 people at the very most, possibly a lot less (Nick Cave being one of them).

If you've read either Knockemstiff or The Devil All The Time - that was the vibe. In fact if a film is made of either of these, Jason should do the soundtrack. The band consisted of Jason, Doggen, John Coxon and a drummer who I didn't recognise. The film ran for a few minutes before the band started, and then sections of music and narrative alternated throughout the film.

There may have been some improv going on but I felt it had been scored, as the music (both in content and length) fitted the scenes very well. And really added to the film.

All in all a very special evening. I really didn't know what to expect, but we felt very lucky to have taken the chance and been there.

Px
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Wow. I'd love to have seen that. The classic Spaceman/Doggen/Coxen triple-pronged sound of confusion??!

Any word on the kind of stuff they were playing?

Hoping somehow this soundtrack makes it out there somehow...
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Thanks for the review.

Really wanted to go. I had priority tickets for this. Taking the family on a road trip was a no brainer in the end.

I hope it lives up to the Yo La Tengo playing a live accompaniament to silent films of Jean Painleve.
Design.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Yes, thanks for the review!
Been wondering about this.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

The music was generally very bluesy. The "Lord Can You Hear Me" riff was a motif throughout. There was a scene around a drunken couple of newly weds, at which point the riff became slurred, sloppy, and... drunk. Then, accompanying some dark, mean scenes, was a tight, churning riff that built and built. Jason was driving the riffs; I couldn't see John properly, but he seemed to be picking his way around them, and Tony spent most of the time using an e-bow combined with a wah to fill out the soundscape with a luscious slab of noise. The volume was just right - the music never overwhelmed the film.

I could hear a really clear harmonica at one point, but it wasn't coming from the film, and was tied into what the band was playing, but I couldn't see a harmonica anywhere. I can only think it was maybe John's guitar processed in some way.

My review has not done it justice - I really want to see it again!

Some of the Station to Station performances are being recorded and then vinyl pressed on-site. It'd be great if this is one of them.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »