Spiritualized with the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra at Øya

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

Feedback Forever
Known user

Spiritualized with the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra at Øya

Post by Feedback Forever »

Morning, all!

Just received an email from the Øya Festival in Oslo with the announcement that Spiritualized will be playing this year's festival with the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra on Wednesday 9 August. Exciting news! Apparently, the gig is a bit of a one-off. Does anyone know of similar gigs? I wonder whether this will be in support of the new album or another LAGWAFIS-show? I'll book my ticket ASAP anyway.
James T
Known user

Re: Spiritualized with the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra at Øy

Post by James T »

Love Oslo, might look at going. Have been in august the past 2 years and its always fun.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

22 hours of light... Spiritualized... I think it would be an a amazing time.
Design.
Feedback Forever
Known user

According to the festival's website, Jason will be performing material spanning his whole career. A proper show, then. Well excited now. Hopefully the new album will be cracking too.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

[Spiritualized will be playing this year's festival with the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra...]
At last.

That will be an incredible show. Last time they played a 'career-spanning' gig they threw in the new album well before it was released.

High times indeed! :D
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Can't make sense of the ticketing situation.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

http://www.aftenposten.no/kultur/Musika ... 5269b.html

According to Google translate it implies here that it's an LAGWAFIS show.I's pretty expensive for a day ticket too, €112. Throw in the flight and hotel and I'm looking at around € 500 for this one festival show (even if it is in a tent) so I think I'll give this a miss. Having said that if they do Pure Phase I'll kill myself...

Just booked ticket, hotel, and flight :? Weird line up on that day, thrash metal and hip-hop, with Lana del Rey headlining...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Of everything, hotels are actually pretty great and well priced in Oslo. i've been 5 times and always spent a reasonable price, especially compared to London, Paris, etc... Expensive for everything else though. Flights from manchester are dirt cheap usually, so I could book them even if I don't end up using. if it was a LAGWAFIS show I'll give it a miss.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I hope they include Spread your wings as an encore. I remember being a bit disappointed that out of sight was the song not on LAGWAFIS to be given the orchestral treatment at these shows. Medication would be cool: I have often fantasized about winning the lottery and sponsoring an orchestral staging of pure phase where I could stand on stage and ding the triangle at the end of the intro and then retire to the wings having played onstage with Spiritualized. :D
Feedback Forever
Known user

According to Google translate it implies here that it's an LAGWAFIS show.
Yes, the article implies that, but according to the festival it will be a career-spanning set. If it was a LAGWAFIS-show, it would probably have been billed as that?
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I would be overjoyed if it was a career-spanning concert, I've already seen two LAGWAFIS shows, in London and Dublin. The LICD shows with the brass section gave something to the live experience that was missing in the stripped down AG incarnation that has kind of been recaptured with the addition of the gospel singers but a full-on orchestra + choir treatment of songs like medication, feel so sad, let it flow, so long you pretty thing, lord can you hear me,don't just do something, won't get to heaven (the state I'm in), take good care of it, shine a light and smiles would send me into seventh heaven. If I had my way every gig would have a line-up like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoTJZh5mSw
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Jasonsmith wrote: If I had my way every gig would have a line-up like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoTJZh5mSw
great stuff.
I think there's one main reason why the shows aren't like this any more- MONEY! I am sure Jason partly does want to strip things down sometimes but the fact the bottom has dropped out of the record industry probably doesn't help. Having classically trained musos on violin/saxphone/vibraslap isn't cheap. Probably only feasible for one off 'event' shows like these.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Is anyone else on here going to this and fancies meeting up for a beer? (It probably will be just the one given the price of alcohol in Norway :wink: )
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Saw the band arrive for rehearsals at the Oslo Konserthus, but was too shy to say hello :? Would have loved to watch the rehearsal....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Keep the updates coming! Really interested to hear what songs they play
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Weather forecast for Oslo is pretty grim, thank goodness SPZ are playing in a tent.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Just returned soaked from trying to (and bottling) seeing Roy Ayers. The organisers have dug a drainage channel in the tent where SPZ are supposed to play tonight. Will return (in soggy clothes) later this evening :|
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Good luck Jason Smith! I hope despite the rain you enjoy the show.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Set list
If I were with her now
Shine a light
Born never asked
Electric mainline
Ladies & gentlemen
Stay with me
Broken heart
Out of sight
Stop your crying
She kissed me
Let it flow
Soul on fire
So long you pretty thing
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

No TV cameras were apparent, there is a new rhythm guitarist, Tom Edwards back on keys, Kev Bales on drums, I was right at the front so the strings and brass didn't really come through, electric mainline (usually one of my gave live tracks) was somehow disappointing, highlight: hearing If I were with her now for the first time live, Let it flow crescendo, Stay with me, and nabbing a set list after the gig (tried to upload a pic but the file is too big)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Thanks so much for being our roving reporter Jason

So no Doggen??

8) If I Were With Her Now

And was the setlist actually chronological like that?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Jasonsmith wrote: If I were with her now
wow, that's terrific!
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Doggen was there, the new guy was extra, I was expecting John Coxon but it definitely wasn't him...
Set list was exactly as written (will try and upload picture as proof)
And my clothes are now dry :)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

That set list is shorter than I expected. How long did they actually play for?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

The shots on Instagram look amazing.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

mojo filters wrote:That set list is shorter than I expected. How long did they actually play for?
No idea, but 13 tracks, each around say 5 mins, but some strung out for much longer, still would give a decent length show.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

They played for 75 minutes, I guess the strict 11 pm curfew was to be expected on a weekday in a residential area...
Here's a review from the Norwegian press http://www.dagsavisen.no/kultur/musikk/ ... -1.1006904

This guy doesn't seem to have been very impressed (some good pics though) http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/vekkelse ... n/68578997
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Jasonsmith wrote:Set list
If I were with her now
Shine a light
Born never asked
Electric mainline
Ladies & gentlemen
Stay with me
Broken heart
Out of sight
Stop your crying
She kissed me
Let it flow
Soul on fire
So long you pretty thing
Where is Oh Baby and Rated X????? :evil: :evil:

Actually, that is a fantastic looking set that needs to be toured extensively in the UK before Christmas with an encore of Spread Your Wings and Feel Like Goin' Home..... :D .
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spotted couple of pics on twitter, looks like they got the smoke machine going a bit. looked pretty cool but seems they are also still using the lame 'light show' from before, that was basically a powerpoint projector with some shapes :)

surely this whole set won't be put together just for these couple of shows? maybe it's a contractual thing and some more will be announced afterwards.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

simonkeeping wrote:The shots on Instagram look amazing.
Was just checking those out.
They really do look fantastic.
Looks like they really stepped up their lights and visuals too.
Good stuff.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

anhang1.jpg
anhang1.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 23864 times
Set list
The Dagbladet review makes a very good point that the show would have been better off being staged in the Oslo concert hall where the rehearsals took place (and I would have stayed dry). I think this may have been political though, reading the orchestra website comments I think they wanted to be seen to "down with the kids" and present themselves outside the stuffy "establishment" environs of the concert hall. I felt they were rather underused as well, I was right at the front and could see most of the brass section not really doing much for most of the songs (and when they did, they seemed to be very low in the mix). The string section seemed to be more active for more songs but the couldn't really be heard much either. I guess with songs like"She kissed me" this is to be expected, but I had hoped that the set list would make maximum use of the presence of these elements...Hats off to the choir though, they were great and added a lot to the sound.

I was really excited when "If I were with her now" started, thinking that this was going to be a radical departure from the last few shows that I'd seen with lots of songs rarely heard live nowadays like most of Let it come down, Feel so sad, or indeed Spread your wings (which was played during the US LAGWAFIS shows I believe?). Therefore, content-wise, it was a bit of a letdown to hear what at times came across as a mix between a LAGWAFIS show and the last series of concerts, with only let it flow and stop your crying being really fresh additions to the set. Maybe this was due to a lack of time to work out new arrangements and/or rehearse them, but I felt this was a missed opportunity to create something really special. I guess only having 75 minutes also limited the options.
Maybe the Australian gig will expand on this (hopefully they'll get to rehearse and play longer and at least they'll be indoors). All in all I thought it was a good/great rather than an exceptional Spiritualized show, but I'm glad I went, I liked Oslo a lot and I hope I have done you guys a favour by posting my comments.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Link to pics on official festival website http://oyafestivalen.no/galleri/bilder/ ... 7403142675
New guitarist in pic 5! Anyone know who it is?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Jasonsmith wrote:... I hope I have done you guys a favour by posting my comments.
you certainly have! next best thing to being there. thank you.
Jasonsmith wrote:highlight: hearing If I were with her now for the first time live
this has been on my mind today :D i know you said it felt anti-climactic after that, but boy, isn't that the best feeling when something longed-for and unexpected begins, you're not quite sure if it's truly what you think, and then you realize, "hurrah!!!"
i'm glad that happened.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Jasonsmith wrote:I was really excited when "If I were with her now" started, thinking that this was going to be a radical departure from the last few shows that I'd seen with lots of songs rarely heard live nowadays like most of Let it come down, Feel so sad, or indeed Spread your wings (which was played during the US LAGWAFIS shows I believe?).... Therefore, content-wise, it was a bit of a letdown to hear what at times came across as a mix between a LAGWAFIS show and the last series of concerts, with only let it flow and stop your crying being really fresh additions to the set.
yeah, along with what ro said, i love that feeling of something unexpected (especially that opening track!) I referred to the RAH 2011 gig in the other thread, just because I remember how great that wonderfully disorientating 'anything could happen' feeling was. Looks like your expectations were similar to mine in expecting some more of LICD (hopefully i didn't get your hopes too high!) still, i never made it to any of the LAGWAFIS shows, so I'm still pretty jealous of that setlist!

Maybe in all fairness, part of what you describe was a mixing issue? I remember at the RAH people having totally different experiences depending on where they were. It's got to be a nightmare balancing out a whole orchestra and band at a festival, especially given what I expect to be a very limited setup time. Am very curious how the next gig goes. Really hope it gets recorded, as it's not so much about the setlist as the sound. And, while the orchestra thing is great, I can't wait for a normal gig with loads of new tracks peppered in there...
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Just realised that with the exception of Let it Flow, the setlist is in chronological order.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Without wishing to reopen old wounds, I'll note that at least it does show Jason has finally grasped the concept of "career spanning setlist", albeit six years too late... 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that is weird isn't it, totally chronological, apart from one song... Huh?

I must say, on a second look at the setlist, it's not as exciting as it first appears. most of the songs have been aired in one form or another in recent years.
but I am VERY interested to hear what the modern Spiritualized would make of If I Were With Her Now. it's been so long since it was played (and in a such a different iteration of the band) that I simply can't conceive of how it sounds.

it's good to see Broken Heart in there but I never thought the live versions amounted to much compared to the gorgeous and very neo-classical sounding album version

Stop Your Crying and Soul on Fire are very similar songs so seems bit of an own goal to have them both in the set..

i'm nitpicking of course.. would totally have loved to see this show!

it's very true that (for some reason) when strings and horns enter the equation, the sound mix can really vary according to where you are positioned. people at the RFH and RAH shows seemed to have had very different experiences according to where they were seated.
Greeny wrote:Without wishing to reopen old wounds, I'll note that at least it does show Jason has finally grasped the concept of "career spanning setlist", albeit six years too late... 8)
haha oh yeah that's ringing a bell.. wasn't there a gig that was touted as 'career spanning' but was nothing of the sort? :)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:
Greeny wrote:Without wishing to reopen old wounds, I'll note that at least it does show Jason has finally grasped the concept of "career spanning setlist", albeit six years too late... 8)
haha oh yeah that's ringing a bell.. wasn't there a gig that was touted as 'career spanning' but was nothing of the sort? :)
RAH 2011, the Sweet Heart Sweet Light gig. To be fair the only place it was claimed to be a career spanning set was the NME and people just ran with it. Don't recall Jason or his management ever stating it was to be 'career spanning'.

My alternate set following the same number of songs per album as was played;

If I Were With Her Now
Shine A Light
Electric Mainline
Lay Back In The Sun
Take Good Care Of It
I Think I'm In Love
All Of My Thoughts
Stay With Me
Won't Get To Heaven
Twelve Steps
This Little Life Of Mine
Baby I'm Just A Fool
Headin' For The Top Now

Probably not making full use of orchestra and choir but fuck that shit anyway :wink:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I agree Soul on Fire seems redundent in this context, why not Sitting on Fire for a bit of variation? Also surprising that So Long is the only track from SHSL, given they already have a string score for the entire album.

I was surprised only 2 songs from LICD, given how well suited that album would be for such a performance.

On the positive side, ending on the magnificently epic So Long must have been glorious, it's my favourite song from the entire RAH gig because it just built up so beautifully and sounded amazing for the entire (relatively long) duration. At the gig I was getting shivers down my spine, and got so wrapped up in the music I ended up resting on the crowd behind me, standing at the front.

Contrary to the experience above, I thought the RAH gig sound was remarkably uniform - especially considering the known acoustic issues in that venue from all those reflective surfaces. To be fair I only listened on the ground floor, and up front it got really loud courtesy of some hefty infills / front fills combined with the ground stack of subwoofers.

In respect of this recent gig - a festival as opposed to conventional concert hall venue, seems like an odd choice. Maybe if these couple of gigs get really good reception, more of these concerts can be scheduled using local musicians. Of course hopefully there's going to be a new album to tour soon!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Interesting reading about the show. Thanks for your posts Jason.

It's crazy to think it's been 5 years since the last album. I'll be honest and say I had hoped to see at least one new track in the set list but I guess he's saving that up for when the album comes out. I wonder if the set list will change in Melbourne? From past knowledge I'm guessing not as the parts for the orchestra/choir etc would have to be written in advance so need to be nailed down.

The shows in the States don't mention the orchestra or choir so I wonder if he's going to do a My Bloody Valentine and sneak the album out before then. Fingers crossed.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Apologies Jason, I meant to preface my post with thanks for your excellent reportage!

In hindsight it's easy to Monday morning quarterback the setlist choices. I suspect I'd have nothing but praise, had I got to experience it myself.

I'm still minded to agree that it would have been a better experience in one of the fine Norwegian PAC venues, but maybe the festival utilised some external funding that was predicated on taking the orchestra and choir away from their normal habitats.

The question of Jason playing new material at what appear to be more conventional live gigs in the US is probably dependant on whether the new album is out. I thought Jason gave good reasons why not to play new unreleased songs, when he talked about that in an interview some time ago. The SHSL gigs apart, not every live preview of future Spiritualized album material I've experienced was good, apart from the inherent nerdish Spz trainspotting element.

On the last tour some of the new material was a bit unpolished. On the A&E tour we heard Too Late / Jesus Won't You Find Some Fucking New Lyrics, which sounded shite compared to the Acoustic Mainlines version ... although I don't think it actually improved once recorded, so that's probably a bad example.

I've recently been listening to some Pure Phase era North American gigs. I'd forgotten how Come Together morphed from a rather dull effort, basically playing the same 5th interval at different volumes for too long, into the dynamic epic with a beautifully simple economy of chromatic notes that ended up on the album.

Of course it might have been the live process that refined Come Together into a songwriting masterclass, of making a simple minor 3rd work as hard as possible; I guess we'll never know!

Anyways with the exception of Too Late / Won't Really Bother, I thought revealing the last album live worked magnificently. To be fair a close friend who saw the same performance with just the electric band a few nights before in Edinburgh, was not quite so enthusiastic. Still I think there's merit in maintaining the expectation and suspense, by waiting to reveal new songs in the right environment ... whatever that might be?
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Too Late" and "Life Is A Problem" are two of my favorite songs on SHSL, but neither were played at the show I saw on July 12, 2013. I just looked up that gig and here are the new songs they played:

The Road (Let's Go)
A Song
D Song
I'm Your Man
Let's Dance
The Morning After

The Road and Let's Dance are the strongest of the batch, IMO, but I suspect the heavier ones will be more refined on the album. Have any other new songs been previewed?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Going to a gig in Norway must be an absolute pleasure as it would appear not one single person videos any part of a show.
Feedback Forever
Known user

Hehe, there are a few videos on Instagram. Short ones, though.

I was at the gig too and thought it absolutely brilliant at times, and judging from comments in social media people really loved it. I wish, however, they could have played at least an hour more and that I'd stood further back to fully appreciate the strings and horns.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Apologies - just realised I mistakenly conflated Life Is a Problem, which I believe was originally called Won't Get To Heaven when first played on the A&E tour, with Too Late, which was originally premiered at later Acoustic Mainlines gigs titled Mama Said.

I was thinking specifically of Life Is A Problem, as I was turned off that song by the opening lyric the first time I heard it. For me that song has never got better, though it sounded nice enough live at the RAH. Otherwise the lyrics are so Spiritualized-by-numbers, I just find it irritating.

Perfect Miracle also belongs on that list of new songs. That was not at all similar to any of the other new songs. It doesn't really sound like anything previously released by Spiritualized. I'll be fascinated to see how that's changed when the album comes out.

I agree that Here Comes The Road and Let's Dance are really the strongest of the new songs.

Let's Dance has some beautifully crafted melodies, and in particular sounds glorious when each chorus climaxes with "Lord have mercy on all of the drunks today / all of our thoughts today" using a perfect tune to underline the plaintive nature of those words.

I think you're right about the heavier songs. Some of them sounded like really rather rough jams, and nowhere near complete works.

I hope Jason's recent reference to the influence of playing the LAGWAFIS gigs, means he'll go after some of his old and more adventurous production techniques from that period - to add a spacey Spiritualized flavour to those guitar sounds, and hopefully plenty of other interesting instruments.

All those new songs had a lot of similar sounding guitars when played live. I hope Jason really uses his proven production skills to finesse and refine that, ensuring the finished product doesn't sound so much like a conventional singer-songwriter's output.

Just thinking about all those different new songs has really got me salivating at the prospect of the new album, as well as making me impatient with the wait!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I don't really like Life Is A Problem either. But I do like Too Late. Unlike many here I can be very partial to a Spiritualized ballad when it's good one

On that notion I also agree that Let's Dance is one of my favourites of the new tunes.
A Song is the best of the rockers and could be a match for Heading For The Top if they tighten it up a bit

I'm excited for the new album but I've also learnt to try not to get too excited as the band tend to take their time. If all the aired songs make the record then this also means that we've heard most of the album already.
There's also the possibility that The Bridge Song could make it. Jason isn't a particularly prolific songwriter and has form in terms of reusing songs

At least this gig has got up all talking about Spiritualized again!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Last few posts have made me search out all those new songs again.
Got to be honest, only A Song, D Song and The Bridge Song do anything for me. The rest are just too saccharine and, well, boring.
To add my tuppence worth; Life Is A Problem is possibly the worst song he's ever written.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:To add my tuppence worth; Life Is A Problem is possibly the worst song he's ever written.
This cannot be true in a world where I Gotta Fire exists. The song that proves he's been hanging around with Bobby Gillespie too much :o

I actually quite liked Life Is A Problem when it was first aired on the A&E tour. Then I went right off it for some reason. He's written that kind of song so many times and wish he'd tone down the Jesus stuff unless it's leavened by some cynicism or a good old fashioned drug metaphor.

Also wanted to mention that I really like Perfect Miracle. Another ballad, yes but of a slightly different style. It sounds more like a Motown poppy thing rather than the usual mopey hymn. I like the fact that lyrically it sounds like a pure love song but there's a sting in the tale
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Also wanted to mention that I really like Perfect Miracle. Another ballad, yes but of a slightly different style. It sounds more like a Motown poppy thing rather than the usual mopey hymn. I like the fact that lyrically it sounds like a pure love song but there's a sting in the tale
Interesting, all I hear is a rewrite of the L&G title track, which i've never liked.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

sunray wrote:
angelsighs wrote: Also wanted to mention that I really like Perfect Miracle. Another ballad, yes but of a slightly different style. It sounds more like a Motown poppy thing rather than the usual mopey hymn. I like the fact that lyrically it sounds like a pure love song but there's a sting in the tale
Interesting, all I hear is a rewrite of the L&G title track, which i've never liked.
To be fair, Jason's quite fond of using variations on a descending melody on his slower songs. I can think of lots of other artists who do likewise. At the end of the day there's only 7 notes in a scale; it's all about the delivery and presentation.

It's unusual to hear criticism of the title track from LAGWAFIS. I would have expected that to be a firm favourite amongst all fans like us, plus all the more casual listeners who may only really know that album.

I can't imagine Jason would use the same production techniques on Perfect Miracle, that he used to exquisitely tie together the electronic and organic elements of Ladies & Gentlemen... into one beautifully coherent track which almost defies categorisation, yet tells you so much about what's coming up on that album!

Of all the Spiritualized songs with descending melodies, I particularly love So Long. As the song builds and builds - the descending element changes, becoming a little more complex each time it shifts up a gear, to climax with the marvellously bombastic final section, which I could listen to over and over for a long time.

I agree that Perfect Miracle has a Motown flavour to it. I could almost imagine some '60s girl group singing it! I also really appreciate the lyrics, which are not at all typical of the Spaceman's songwriting style.
Dave Chappelle
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So glad to see Kev back on drums, and Stelfox is a greta bass player. I heard the new guitarist was Doggen's son, but I don't know??
Feedback Forever
Known user

I thought the new guitarist was a girl?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

God, this is amazing. Anyone have recordings or clips of this?

Hopefully it'll be the same setup in SF in october (though I doubt it)!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mojo filters wrote: I agree that Perfect Miracle has a Motown flavour to it. I could almost imagine some '60s girl group singing it! I also really appreciate the lyrics, which are not at all typical of the Spaceman's songwriting style.
yep exactly! I could imagine The Supremes tackling it. or even (not Motown I know) The Ronettes
I'm also surprised that someone wouldn't like the Ladies & Gents title track as I thought it was a firm fan favourite. but different strokes for different folks and all that. I think it's a beautiful song.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

simonkeeping wrote:Interesting reading about the show. Thanks for your posts Jason.

It's crazy to think it's been 5 years since the last album. I'll be honest and say I had hoped to see at least one new track in the set list but I guess he's saving that up for when the album comes out. I wonder if the set list will change in Melbourne? From past knowledge I'm guessing not as the parts for the orchestra/choir etc would have to be written in advance so need to be nailed down.

The shows in the States don't mention the orchestra or choir so I wonder if he's going to do a My Bloody Valentine and sneak the album out before then. Fingers crossed.
According to Setlist, 17 songs in Melbourne
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/spiritua ... 2be27.html
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Anything More!! now that's my kind of deep cut.

and Cop Shoot Cop with all the extra musicians!.. great stuff!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:Anything More!! now that's my kind of deep cut.

Plus Think I'm in Love, and the apparently obligatory Oh Happy Day which is less interesting.

Anything More is really exciting. It was great during Acoustic Mainlines, but everyone knew it was the lead up to segue into Ladies & Gentlemen... which left that song somewhat overlooked by contrast.
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mojo filters wrote:
angelsighs wrote:Anything More!! now that's my kind of deep cut.

Plus Think I'm in Love, and the apparently obligatory Oh Happy Day which is less interesting.

Anything More is really exciting. It was great during Acoustic Mainlines, but everyone knew it was the lead up to segue into Ladies & Gentlemen... which left that song somewhat overlooked by contrast.
yeah I'm not that excited by Oh Happy Day now. it's a bit tired.

Anything More is a great choice, especially with the strings etc.

re: Acoustic Mainlines, I believe the segue into Ladies & Gentleman was actually a surprise to me which made it all the more emotional! can't recall if I went to one of the first shows, or I avoided setlist spoilers purposefully.

on a similar note, remember how Goodnight used to go into a bit of Funeral Home?
I remember on the second Acoustic Mainline show I saw, I was waiting for this moment... and instead they went into Silent Night. hairs on the back of the neck moment! there's something about a surprise which can make things more special.
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

James T wrote:So glad to see Kev back on drums, and Stelfox is a greta bass player. I heard the new guitarist was Doggen's son, but I don't know??
oh, wow. so sweet! and it must be amazing to be up there playing with his dad!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

the aussie show was filmed but you need to sign up to watch it

http://exclusive.networkunlimit4k.com/S ... q-Bp_2FOGA
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Hmmm, site looks a bit scammy to me. Let us know how you get on!

If it is really on there, it should be straightforward to rip it and then Dropbox it :wink:
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

sm-iom wrote:Hmmm, site looks a bit scammy to me. Let us know how you get on!

If it is really on there, it should be straightforward to rip it and then Dropbox it :wink:
the point is that there seems to be footagesomewhere out there, plus there are lots of pictures
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

There seems to be a load of sites claiming to have footage - but I've just looked at 3 or 4 of them, and wouldn't trust them with any of my details.

A quick Google threw up this, which says it's automated bots..

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/commen ... e_concert/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Found a pic online of Melbourne. Definitely looks like a woman on 2nd guitar. And doesn't look like Stelfox on bass. Guess they might be doing that thing of having different musicians for different sides of the globe (apart from core members like Doggen of course)