Desert Daze 2017

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

Stonedutch
Known user

Desert Daze 2017

Post by Stonedutch »

Apologies if already posted:

http://desertdaze.org/

2017 LINEUP PREVIEW: (full lineup coming June 21)

Spiritualized, Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile and the Sea Lice, Unknown Mortal Orchestra (VERY exclusive play), Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions, Eagles of Death Metal, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Terry Riley & Gyan Riley, Boris, Allah-Las, Melody’s Echo Chamber, Atlas Sound, La Femme, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Twin Peaks, Khruangbin, GØGGS (featuring Ty Segall, Chris Shaw of Ex-Cult, and Charles Moothart of CFM/FUZZ), JJUUJJUU + many more to be announced June 21.
Projections all weekend by Mad Alchemy Liquid Light Show, The Blindspot Project, The Mustachio Light Show, Bill Gazer + more.

"The 6th annual Desert Daze Music and Art Festival will return for its second year at the Institute of Mentalphysics in Joshua Tree, California. Early announced acts Spiritualized, Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile and the Sea Lice, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions, Eagles of Death Metal, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Terry Riley & Gyan Riley, Boris, Allah-Las, Melody’s Echo Chamber, Atlas Sound, La Femme, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Twin Peaks, Khruangbin, GØGGS, and JJUUJJUU are just a small taste of what Desert Daze 2017 has to offer. Full lineup coming soon. Tickets, Camping Passes, and Payment Plans go on sale June 21. Cottages go on sale June 27".
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
bolting lettuce
New user

Re: Desert Daze 2017

Post by bolting lettuce »

Desert Daze! I'm giving this thread a much needed bump. I had planned on making the trip from Southern California to Sonoma to have the amazing experience of seeing my favorite band in an old barn... Unfortunately, my work schedule has once again messed up my plans, and I can't make the trip.
So long story short, I'm making the trip to Joshua Tree tomorrow to DD and I have two tickets for the Sonoma/Terrapin show on Monday I'd love to pass along gratis if anyone is interested. I'm sure if you're on this board and you're planning on going, you already bought tickets. But maybe you wanted to bring a date? Have friends you want to turn on to a great band? Could trade them for some medication, whatever... : )

Anyway, if anyone on this board is interested in the tickets, I'd love to give them away.

I've posted a few times over the years on this board under another name, but I forgot my password, so this is my first post with my new handle. I wanted to say thanks to all of the kind and generous people who have shared the music and insight into music, art, and so much more.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

This was last night, correct? Can someone who attended post a review and/or setlist?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Nothing on setlist.fm yet...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Hopefully this works.....

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Interesting. Only one song from SHSL and none from A&R or LICD. Pierce is clearly holding back the new material until the album is out. I'm guessing the setlists for the next few gigs will be about the same.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I'm surprised he chose So Long as the only SHSL song. It's a great song with strings and so forth, but I didn't like the electric band version. Hey Jane seems more obvious.

Lots of LAGWAFIS, perhaps too much... And Oh Happy Day, without a choir?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Lots of people sent me photos and clips from last night. It sounded fantastic. Looking forward to the next two nights!
ajshap
New user

Post by ajshap »

bolting lettuce wrote:COLLAPSE VIEW TOPIC REVIEW: DESERT DAZE 2017
I would love to go. I saw Spiritualized play in Chicago in 1997.It was one of the greatest shows I've ever been to.
ajshap
New user

Post by ajshap »

Hi bolting lettuce,
I would love the tickets for the Terrapin. I saw Spiritualized play the metro in Chicago '97. It was by far one of the greatest experiences I have ever had.
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
bolting lettuce
New user

Post by bolting lettuce »

Hi ajshap,
I'm sorry I didn't see your post until this morning. I hope you made it to the show just the same.
ajshap
New user

Post by ajshap »

Unfortunately the show was sold out. I'm going to the Fillmore show tonight so I'm looking forward to that. Even though I was not able to get the tickets to the Terrapin your kind gesture was greatly appreciated. :)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Stonedutch wrote:Several clips up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... esert+daze
I found three songs.

There's some weird sound artifacts going on with Ladies and Gentlemen... plus adding the drums with their plodding 3/4 waltz (rather than the original 6/8) then the female singers coming in an octave higher was all a bit jarring.

Cheapster was a bit lacklustre, slower than normal. Again something weird going on with the sound - at one point I was looking for something that vaguely sounded like a polyphonic kazoo, I thought it was a harmonica but couldn't see anyone playing one.

There is only part of Come Together. Again hard to judge with the sound, but there seemed to be some missing lead guitar riffs.

I guess phone video clips on YouTube rarely flatter an artist, but many thanks for posting.
Last edited by mojo filters on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Chappelle
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Downloading this now, if you good people wouldn't mind keeping the link private (they are not my files or account), I'd appreciate it. I'm sharing here for us fans.

Spiritualized 10/16/17 San Rafael, CA Terrapin Crossroads

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/U94 ... sroads.zip
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

davedecay wrote:Downloading this now, if you good people wouldn't mind keeping the link private (they are not my files or account), I'd appreciate it. I'm sharing here for us fans.

This is great! What kind of equipment was used?

Here are links for my recordings of Terrapin and Fillmore, I'll keep the links up for a couple of days.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxEMT ... 3ZiVm9ZU1U

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxEMT ... lV3TFNLVms
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

mywhitenoise wrote:
davedecay wrote:Downloading this now, if you good people wouldn't mind keeping the link private (they are not my files or account), I'd appreciate it. I'm sharing here for us fans.

This is great! What kind of equipment was used?

Here are links for my recordings of Terrapin and Fillmore, I'll keep the links up for a couple of days.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxEMT ... 3ZiVm9ZU1U

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxEMT ... lV3TFNLVms
Thank you very much for these, Gentlemen. Lovely to hear If I were with her now live. I would dearly love to hear LGM given the full album live treatment.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Another from the same source. I don't know the taper/recorder.

Wherein Hodon tries to justify his addiction, instead of admitting to his problem:

Yes, that’s right, I went to see Spiritualized again last night, even tho I was pretty sure I would get the same setlist (and did). And yes, the saner of my multiple personalities wondered why.... But herein lies the magic, the diversity, the proof of the combination of venue and sound and headspace and internal forests that makes live music such a fluid and electric event, but off the wires and out of the walls of control, that there is just no telling how it might go. And yes, the Spiritualized show at Terrapin Crossroads was good, but just that. But usually the power of a Spiritualized show is “something more than free,” just beyond the borderlines of expectation or normalcy or another night in a rock club with a genius band. And the Terrapin show didn’t sail those heights, didn’t meet the stars as much as it might have been expected to. And I thought maybe it was me getting old (cuz I am doing that!) or jaded (guilty) or just over this band (please no). But last night proved me wrong – because from the gate and onwards for the whole race of a show, it was on solid on, just excitement, cells I had forgot lived in my brain doing little happy dances all over my face, my ears absorbing the music like water soaking into a desert after days of sun, the entire event just manna from heaven, just a supercalifragilistic (that shows how old I am!) popover of explosions…. Man was it good! The sound was better, the venue was more alive, maybe I was too, but if you want to listen to one Spiritualized show from the two I sent, this is it by a long long shot. And don’t get me wrong, if you didn’t know the band you would have probably liked or even loved the first night. But last night? You would have lost your cookies.

Enjoy.

Spiritualized 10/17/17 SF, CA The Fillmore

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/SuE ... llmore.zip
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

haha. very well put commentary. like it.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Thanks so much for those links.
The Fillmore recording sounds much better to my ears than Terrapin Crossroads.
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

davedecay wrote:Yes, that’s right, I went to see Spiritualized again last night, even tho I was pretty sure I would get the same setlist (and did). And yes, the saner of my multiple personalities wondered why.... But herein lies the magic, the diversity, the proof of the combination of venue and sound and headspace and internal forests that makes live music such a fluid and electric event, but off the wires and out of the walls of control, that there is just no telling how it might go. And yes, the Spiritualized show at Terrapin Crossroads was good, but just that. But usually the power of a Spiritualized show is “something more than free,” just beyond the borderlines of expectation or normalcy or another night in a rock club with a genius band. And the Terrapin show didn’t sail those heights, didn’t meet the stars as much as it might have been expected to. And I thought maybe it was me getting old (cuz I am doing that!) or jaded (guilty) or just over this band (please no). But last night proved me wrong – because from the gate and onwards for the whole race of a show, it was on solid on, just excitement, cells I had forgot lived in my brain doing little happy dances all over my face, my ears absorbing the music like water soaking into a desert after days of sun, the entire event just manna from heaven, just a supercalifragilistic (that shows how old I am!) popover of explosions…. Man was it good! The sound was better, the venue was more alive, maybe I was too, but if you want to listen to one Spiritualized show from the two I sent, this is it by a long long shot. And don’t get me wrong, if you didn’t know the band you would have probably liked or even loved the first night. But last night? You would have lost your cookies.

Thanks for the Fillmore recording! I heavily disagree, though. The intimacy of the Terrapin venue added so much more than the staleness and division between band and audience of The Fillmore. The Fillmore is an alright venue, but it's about as big as I want my venues to be.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I agree w/ mywhitenoise that the Terrapin show was a bit more intimate. I might have even seen you at both those shows ? I mean, Terrapin had about what 300 people, as opposed to the Fillmore at 2,500 or whatever their capacity is. Same set list, however, the light show at Terrapin had the strobing lights that the Fillmore lacked, but neverless it was still good. The Fillmore had ' bigger ' speakers where some of the songs, especially ' Electricity ' and ' Electric Mainline ' I had a total body vibration from the soundwaves ( no kidding ).

Good recordings by DaveDecay ! Cheers.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Thank you very much to all the good people who put so much effort into making these recordings, so we can all enjoy these gigs - very kind indeed!

I'm assuming these are two different sets of recordings? I hope so - while I could easily import the Google drive docs direct to my own Google drive, I spent ages trying to use my (new) Hightail account and Android app, but that's one really unfriendly file sharing system which I could not figure out!

Eventually I gave up, freed up 1gb on my poor overburdened phone, and did a direct download of the Terrapin Crossroads gig. Then I found no fucking cloud site would accept such a big zip file, though they all wasted a shit load of time letting me know.

In the end I just borrowed a computer and put both recordings on 4 CDs, old fashioned style! (I've currently still got Megaupload attempting to upload the zip file, but as it's taken over half an hour to do less than 10%, I don't expect it to make it right through... no matter, I can easily delete the big file and give my poor phone a full gigabyte of breathing space, which I don't think it even had when brand new).

The Fillmore sounds really good, although there's an occasional rather noticeable flat note during the high solo guitar line on the first track, the note that sounds like the fifth, when the guitar is repeating a root>fifth riff.

That aside, it's sounding great. I enjoyed the other recordings but there were some tracks overloaded and distorting in the loud parts, unfortunately. The Hightail Fillmore is currently blasting at near to 0dB on my PMCs, Electric Mainline has been shaking the whole house. The bass on I Think I'm In Love sounds especially deep and groovy, with a visceral low end.

The delicate nuances of Ladies & Gentlemen... are captured beautifully, really detailed and clear even in the most quiet parts. All the 3 vox are captured with impressive clarity. I'm looking forward to listening to the Terrapin Crossroads discs, as assuming both were recorded via the same setup - I'll be interested how differently the small point source PA is captured, compared with the larger array. Theoretically fewer sources should sound better, but that's not always the case. Interesting to see the tech spec for the Fillmore indicates that venue still uses an analogue mixing desk, which is unusual these days.

I can't be sure, but I don't think I've heard If I Was With Her Now live before. It works really well. It's nice to hear one of the more subtle early tracks, as normally the live tracks they play from LGM and PP seem to be at the rockier end of the spectrum.

I notice no one has mentioned merchandise - is there no t-shirts or posters for sale at these gigs?

Thanks again for the good work!
Dave Chappelle
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I shall make FLAC available via MEGA if that's better for some.
The giant WAV files are pointless, really - unless your device lacks FLAC playback ability.
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

One additional comment: i traveled 2500 miles to see Spiritualized in CA (from East coast). when I called out Jason, i mentioned I flew 2500 miles to see him and I loved his comment. Jason said very humbly, "Why?". This is when i approached him and thanked him for the 25+ years of music that he has shared and how it changed me, and I'd do it all over again.

My plan this upcoming new album tour is to catch as many shows in the U.S. and maybe an international show.

they also gave out posters. While anything from Spiritualized is terrific, I did get Tom Edwards and the "guitar player who i don't remember his name" to sign (I think). if i could do it all over again, wish I was in a slightly better state of mind but even free of drugs and alcohol, a Spiritualized show puts me into a trance, in sends me out to space.

love the spacemen and all the band members.

last thing, these were always the band members (Tom, Kevin) according to Jason. sounds like maybe some money issues that prohibited them to join him during the last few tours. We need them to set up PledgeMusic or a GoFundMe page. I would pay top dollar for any merch signed, rare items, ability to hang out with the band (heck I did that for a small bar tab). We need Spiritualized to continue to make music, play live shows. The Moody Blues are in their 70s still touring and sounding decent. Jason and band: easy another 20 years of great music!!!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I also think a Pledgemusic page or somesuch would be fantastic! would be great to get some unique rewards from my favourite band. not sure how likely it would be as Jason doesn't seem to be one for picking up current trends! there would definitely be enough of us to amply fund a record if they did do it.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

THANK YOU everyone for the uploads and reports!
very glad to hear everything.
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

I had another post and not sure why it didn't get posted. It was very long but gave some info as I had a chance to hang out with the ENTIRE BAND (including Jason) after the Fillmore gig at the Boom Boom Room (Bar across the street). In hanging out, I spoke to the bass player (pretty sure it was Sam Freeman -take a look at the David Letterman Show from 2008 - same bass player). Guitar player stated has been with Spiritualized but I did not recognize him. I had Tom Edwards and I think this third guitar player sign the free poster. I hung out with all them for probably 90+ minutes. It was an epic and I'm still in complete shock & awe (floating in space!). I bought the band drinks and had various conversations that I don't really remember. My friend that was with me (first time going to SPZ shows) took about 20 pictures with me speaking with them. Unfortunately I don't remember much (yep, I was in that kind of state of mind). I do remember saying how much I love their music and by far not a single artist is even close to SPZ. They are all fantastic people.

Easily the best two days I've ever had in my life. This was beyond checking off a bucket list item. This was a once in a life time opportunity but I hope to do it all over again with a tour in 2018 and hitting as many shows as possible - a fan since early 90s even since seeing Run on MTV's 120 minutes.

Met up with Jason at Terrapin and spoke to him with a great picture for around 5 minutes (his guitar on his shoulder and he strung it a few times as he spoke).

Diesel
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't suppose there was any mention of how the new album is shaping up or when it might come out?
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

Yes when I spoke to Jason he said we have a new album coming out soon. I asked if there is a plan for a U.S. in 2018 and he said yes. Didn't get exact time but based on his comments I could see a new album out in the next 3 months or so. What a Christmas present to us that would be if it gets released by end of year. Next time I promise this forum to ask bettter questions and remember more.

Diesel
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Thanks, Diesel! I bet we're looking at January or February.
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

i'd appreciate those shows in flac if you don't mind. those files are huge