An Evening with Spiritualized - 17 Oct, The Fillmore, SF

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

James T
Known user

An Evening with Spiritualized - 17 Oct, The Fillmore, SF

Post by James T »

Martin L
Known user

Re: An Evening with Spiritualized - 17 Oct, The Fillmore, SF

Post by Martin L »

anything is better than nothing!
tremelovirus
Known user

Post by tremelovirus »

So excited to see Spiritualized in this legendary venue. My first time to the Fillmore. I wonder if they will officially announce if this is a LAGWAFIS set. I'd also imagine there is a strong possibility of hearing some new songs.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'll be there. Any other Outpatients planning on attending?
lake.st.clair
Known user

Post by lake.st.clair »

Collin and I will be there!!!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

lake.st.clair wrote:Collin and I will be there!!!
Want to get drinks beforehand? Fat Angel looks good.
lake.st.clair
Known user

Post by lake.st.clair »

Sounds like a plan! Are you going to Terrapin too?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Full match report please
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Yes, I’ll be there tonight!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Same set list as the previous evening.

The poster is rather weak:
Attachments
spz.jpg
spz.jpg (78.26 KiB) Viewed 13610 times
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Ugggh...the font works, but that's properly fugly artwork underneath! Perhaps efforts of a local promoter?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, the font works and that's about it. What's with the sunglasses ? No forethought on the design. As if, just put something on it and print it. Either put it on ebay or in my closet. :cry:
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

spacemanrich wrote:Yeah, the font works and that's about it. What's with the sunglasses ? No forethought on the design. As if, just put something on it and print it. Either put it on ebay or in my closet. :cry:
To me, the artwork says: early-to-mid '70s smooth deep cuts of FM rock / cocktail lounge jazz fusion combo ...and that's just the sunglasses!

The light show screams Partridge-approved ELO gig optics, with obvious mild-mannered encore requests included...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Well put mojofilters. Maybe, that was the intent and purpose - something garish, 70's, out of date and tacky. If that is the point then the graphic designer achieved it ! Neverless, not worth framing ...
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Better performance than the previous night. Same setlist.

Just posted a video of pretty much each song on my Instagram: tunabearman

Good meeting Matt and Colin and seeing Megan (of past forum lore) again. The poster is pretty hilarious.

Until we meet again, Spiritualized....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the poster is wrong in so many ways. it looks like the cover for a cheap paperback novel from the 70s

so who's in the band at the moment, do we know?
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Ye Gods! That poster is truly awful. The first thing that came in to my mind when I saw it was "The Two Ronnies"! It's a shame because I went to the 2001 Filmore gig and the poster from that show, the one with the headphones on a head filled with pills, has taken pride of place everywhere I have lived since. Out of interest, does anybody have the posters the Filmore would have produced for the other Spiritualized gigs there?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

ABOCA, those two are the only Fillmore show posters for SPZ : head filled w/ drugs and the awful one.

Angel Sighs, I'm not familiar with the other two musicians ?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I posted a download link in the Desert Daze thread of a recording from this night. Good commentary precedes it.

Please keep link private, I am not personal friends with the recorder/sharer, but a 3rd party (friend of a friend).

I feel comfortable sharing it here.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just listening to this show and its one of the better setlists of recent times in my opinion. My ONLY gripe, and it pains me to say it as i think its one of Jason's best songs, but i think Broken Heart kills the flow a little. Its a great song and has its place in their live shows, but it just doesn't sit right with me in the middle of that set. If they had done it as the first song of the encore and then into Oh Happy Day, i think it would have been better placed. I know not everyone will think so, and each to their own and all that, but after a good few years of pretty (for me) uninteresting live sets, this really impressed... just killed the pace/flow of the show a little for me.

On the plus side, great versions of all the tracks... and i'd forgotten just how beautiful So Long You Pretty Thing was.

Thanks for all those who made the recordings aavailable, i'm very thankful.
lake.st.clair
Known user

Post by lake.st.clair »

This is pt 2

Pt 1 is in here: https://spiritualized.band/viewtopic.ph ... 27#p140127

First of all, the poster is as good as the other ones The Fillmore puts out FOR FREE when a show SELLS OUT.

So we were at a sold out Spiritualized show at The Fillmore in San Francisco in 2017.

Having walked from The Tenderloin, I enjoyed my first visit to The Fillmore via Collin from South Dakota (living in SF damn near 10 years now). The other SPZ poster was up there somewhere, but we didn't see it (and I didn't have my glasses on).

We got on the dance floor and had a quick stretch-down and a summary of the events so far. Again, we were at a sold out Spiritualized show at The Fillmore in San Francisco in 2017.

Same set as the night before, and "If I Were With Her Now" sounded great, in fact each song took a bit more time to unfold as the night before.

The sound in The Fillmore is a bit bigger, so lacks a bit of grit that a small sound system has... a bit muddy to start, but the sound(person) figured out the room full of people and it sharpened up considerably over a few songs.

Wow "Electric Mainline" was unreal... there hasn't been a sound so full deep rich and heavy in a long time in this Country so I thank you all for that.

I was standing in the 'sweet spot' for "Let It Flow" and at one point there was a reverberation between the bass and bass drum and it overwhelmed the entire band - it isn't in the recording, so I really believe I was in the sweet spot.

During "Broken Heart" the mirror ball reached back 50 years to the Glory Daiz of the venue... amazing to see...

By the end of the set and the encore the sound was crisp and the songs were played out beautifully...

Great to be in that crowd... so much better than the night before...

Jason: What's next?

-m
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spacemanrich wrote:ABOCA, those two are the only Fillmore show posters for SPZ : head filled w/ drugs and the awful one.

so it's Doggen and Kev, but we don't know the bass player or second (well, third..) guitarist?

Laz69 wrote:Just listening to this show and its one of the better setlists of recent times in my opinion. My ONLY gripe, and it pains me to say it as i think its one of Jason's best songs, but i think Broken Heart kills the flow a little. Its a great song and has its place in their live shows, but it just doesn't sit right with me in the middle of that setl .
I really like Broken Heart as a studio recording, but I've never felt the live versions were much cop, aside from perhaps the ones from when they had the full ensemble on the original tour.

so glad everyone enjoyed these shows.. I'm gagging for some UK dates now.. it's been too long!!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:
spacemanrich wrote:ABOCA, those two are the only Fillmore show posters for SPZ : head filled w/ drugs and the awful one.

so it's Doggen and Kev, but we don't know the bass player or second (well, third..) guitarist?

Laz69 wrote:Just listening to this show and its one of the better setlists of recent times in my opinion. My ONLY gripe, and it pains me to say it as i think its one of Jason's best songs, but i think Broken Heart kills the flow a little. Its a great song and has its place in their live shows, but it just doesn't sit right with me in the middle of that setl .
I really like Broken Heart as a studio recording, but I've never felt the live versions were much cop, aside from perhaps the ones from when they had the full ensemble on the original tour.

so glad everyone enjoyed these shows.. I'm gagging for some UK dates now.. it's been too long!!
I agree with you, Broken Heart really needs the full works to sound as epic as the original. The dramatic rumbling of the timpani cannot really be reproduced on a drum kit, but these versions sounded better than I anticipated.

Have there been three guitar players on these gigs? I watched the YouTube clips and thought I just saw Doggen on the left. Was the third guitar even further to the left?
Dave Chappelle
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

There was defintely 3 guitar players (Jason, doggen and a 3rd. I met him but don't remember his name. He said he had played with the band for 5 years. It's not Coxon either. Really nice guy.
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

I have a few pictures of the band when I was hanging out with then. Not great but there is a shot of the third guitar player and I believe Sam Freeman (bass player).
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

Picture with Jason before the terrapin CA show
Attachments
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG (92 KiB) Viewed 13192 times
lake.st.clair
Known user

Post by lake.st.clair »

What is the shirt J is wearing??
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

My fat head blocks tom Edwards
Just to left is Kevin bales
Far right is one of the two background singers
Guy with the brown jacket dark long hair is 3rd guitar player
In between tom and guita player is I believe Sam Freemanright. Thing him bass player. The bass at both shows was incredible. I think same when he toured in 2008 (Letterman YouTube video of You Lie You Cheat).
Attachments
Resized_20171017_234759_2552.jpeg
Resized_20171017_234759_2552.jpeg (382.7 KiB) Viewed 13191 times
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

Wish I could answer the question about the shirt he was wearing. Was several drinks in at that point.
I have more pictures if you all want me to post some more.

Diesel
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

Buying drinks for the band (doggen in picture)
Clear picture of tom Edwards and 3rd guitar player in background
Would love to know if anyone on the board knows this guitar player. I know I asked but just don't remember.
Attachments
Resized952017101795234814956975.jpg
Resized952017101795234814956975.jpg (331.81 KiB) Viewed 13189 times
Resized_20171017_235405_2620.jpeg
Resized_20171017_235405_2620.jpeg (270.57 KiB) Viewed 13189 times
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Wow, J's new "Spaceman" guitar strap is super cool. Also, I don't recall seeing him playing a yellow guitar in the past. Looks like another Fender Thinline, but it's definitely not the orange one that has been so ubiquitous in the past.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

loving the photos and the meet up story diesel! and glad a new album is coming sooner rather than later.
I understand why you wouldn't want to quiz the band about new material in the interest of "playing it cool" :)

I don't recognise the third guitarist at all, even though apparently has played with the band before. any one got any ideas?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:I don't recall seeing him playing a yellow guitar in the past. Looks like another Fender Thinline, but it's definitely not the orange one that has been so ubiquitous in the past.
Glastonbury 1992. The only time I can remember seeing him play a yellow guitar.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Wasn't too sure whether to put this under the 'Desert Daze' thread as the links were put there, or here. but if anyone would like me to upload it and post a link, I have converted the Fillmore show from wav to mp3 if that would help people for ease of playing and portability.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »