Primavera 2018

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

mkb
Known user

Primavera 2018

Post by mkb »

Spiritualized with orchestra and choir confirmed for the Wednesday night
mkb
Known user

Re: Primavera 2018

Post by mkb »

slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

❤️
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

wow, Jane Birkin and Charlotte Gainsbourg. neat.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just came here to post this :)
he seems to like doing the orchestra and choir thing lately doesn't he
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

It's in the Auditori which means seated only. That's kind of disappointing.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Surely an album announcement of forthcoming.
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

how do you know this? it was only confirmed on social media from the band an hour ago!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It would strike me as ill-advised for Pierce to do more shows without a new album to promote. Given that they're headlining Primavera, I'm assuming there's an album involved, otherwise I can't really see them being given top billing, but maybe I'm wrong. This is my own speculation, of course.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

1+1-1 wrote:how do you know this? it was only confirmed on social media from the band an hour ago!
The festival announced their lineup last night.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

TheWarmth wrote:It would strike me as ill-advised for Pierce to do more shows without a new album to promote. Given that they're headlining Primavera, I'm assuming there's an album involved, otherwise I can't really see them being given top billing, but maybe I'm wrong. This is my own speculation, of course.
I think so too. Hopefully this is the start of lots of live announcements and possibly a release in the summer.

Primavera also has a Portuguese festival taking place at the beginning of June which normally shares a lot of the Barcelona lineup, so Spiritualized may be involved in that too.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:Surely an album announcement of forthcoming.
Ladies & Gents 21st Anniversary reissue.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

mkb wrote:Primavera also has a Portuguese festival taking place at the beginning of June which normally shares a lot of the Barcelona lineup, so Spiritualized may be involved in that too.
Hope so, I've got a ticket for the Porto festival. Every time they've done Barcelona in the past they've done the Porto festival too. They don't have a seated area but there is a covered area similar to the setup in Oslo last year. Hopefully it won't be raining so hard this time.
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

I see there's a mother/daughter combination in Jane Birkin and charlotte gainsbourg!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

These big festival shows with orchestra are probably quite lucrative, so like last year, it may be they do just a couple of big festival dates, to allow the album to get completed?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

clewsr wrote:These big festival shows with orchestra are probably quite lucrative, so like last year, it may be they do just a couple of big festival dates, to allow the album to get completed?
If he needs the money to put out the album, then why bring an orchestra and a choir? It makes no sense. He could easily do these gigs with just his band and make a LOT more money.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

TheWarmth wrote:
clewsr wrote:These big festival shows with orchestra are probably quite lucrative, so like last year, it may be they do just a couple of big festival dates, to allow the album to get completed?
If he needs the money to put out the album, then why bring an orchestra and a choir? It makes no sense. He could easily do these gigs with just his band and make a LOT more money.
Exactly. Whilst I happen to know the Oslo Philharmonic are involved in a programme of engaging with rock bands of all types (a journalist I know met them last year returning home from South America, where they'd apparently played a gig with a death metal band) so presumably there would have been funding to subsidise the gig they played at that festival with Spiritualized last summer - but normally the expense involved in hiring an orchestral section is quite substantial.

In the UK, the MU have pretty steep rates set for musicians of that type performing outside of their salaried commitments, and I'd imagine there's similar arrangements in continental Europe.

Of course it may be the festival subsidising these expenses, but even then the additional logistics (eg arranging rehearsals and so forth) will inevitably impact on revenue to some degree. Obviously headline dates at festivals are lucrative compared with normal touring gigs, but I doubt a couple of festival headline paydays do much to impact the expense in producing the professional kind of records Spiritualized put out.

I think it shows how committed Jason is to bringing the most exciting musical experience to his audience. I'm incredibly envious of that line up - my two favourite bands on the same bill!

I suspect it has as much to do with the new album as last years summer gigs did, though obviously I'd hope to be proved wrong on that point...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The other day I was speaking to a friend about the kind of fees bands get for festival performances. He used to live in Indianapolis and was involved in booking acts for a festival (considerably smaller than something like Primavera). He and his team were attempting to book Of Montreal and the band wanted 50k. So, I think it's possible that the payday for Spiritualized to headline Primavera could be very substantial.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

TheWarmth wrote:The other day I was speaking to a friend about the kind of fees bands get for festival performances. He used to live in Indianapolis and was involved in booking acts for a festival (considerably smaller than something like Primavera). He and his team were attempting to book Of Montreal and the band wanted 50k. So, I think it's possible that the payday for Spiritualized to headline Primavera could be very substantial.
Wow - that is huge, especially considering I've never even heard of them. I hope Jason et al are similarly compensated!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

I think Of Montreal are 'bigger' than Spz now
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

1+1-1 wrote:I think Of Montreal are 'bigger' than Spz now
I'm sure that's the case!

If you mentioned a band Of Montreal, I'd probably assume you were talking about Arcade Fire... a band I swore I never heard of, until they played an impressive headline set at Glastonbury - then I discovered I owned their debut album, which is even on my ancient mechanical HD iPod.

I've long given up on having any semblance of an expectation that I can keep a proverbial finger on the modern pulse of music trends.
Dave Chappelle
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

mojo filters wrote: I've long given up on having any semblance of an expectation that I can keep a proverbial finger on the modern pulse of music trends.
me too. it was more of a point as they promote their albums to kids etc and Spz can't even be bothered to interact with their fans other than to say an album is old and there are a few live dates here n there. i think the main frustration is that we keep getting told it is done and then 5 years later still nothing!
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Spiritualized aren't on the bill for Porto :-(
Lots of other good stuff though... :-)
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Regardless of Spiritualized that Primavera line-up is absolutely red hot

Cave
James Holden
Panda Bear
Art Ensemble of Chicago (!!)
The National
Ty Segall
Slowdive
Lift to Experience (!!)
Aleksi Perala

To name but a few.

Jeez - wish I wasn't totally skint just now...
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

I was wondering what you guys think will be the best place to sit for the show?

The way I see it:
[*]1 has the best view I'd say (or maybe 2??)
[*]3 or 4 the best sound.
[*]1 or 3 the most leg room
[*]2 or 4 best spots to stand up and dance

Thoughts?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

selib wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:17 pm I was wondering what you guys think will be the best place to sit for the show?

The way I see it:
[*]1 has the best view I'd say (or maybe 2??)
[*]3 or 4 the best sound.
[*]1 or 3 the most leg room
[*]2 or 4 best spots to stand up and dance

Thoughts?
All of the above!
But I’d go for best sound.
Have fun :D
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I'd also say best sound, I was in the front row for last year's Oslo gig and quite a lot of the orchestra sound was lost...but hey, it'll be great to be there. It looks like this and the Levitation thing in France (which I'm guessing will be just the band without orchestra) will be the only appearances in Europe this year. The Spiritualized twitter account was active for the first time in ages last week and retweeted a picture of Bob Mortimer
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd say #3 if I was choosing. good sound but still relatively close.

wish they were doing more dates rather than some just here and there. it would make the wait for an album less gruelling.

can't see the Bob Mortimer retweet.. surely that must be whoever runs the account rather than Jason.. can't see him on the tour bus exchanging zany Vic & Bob quotes with the band?? :D
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

It was this tweet
https://twitter.com/RealBobMortimer/sta ... 9259030528
but the SPZ retweet has been deleted. Maybe just a test run for the album release news? :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yes lets think positive.. maybe just a 'is this thing still working?' kind of test run.. and new album news in imminent ;)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:14 pmcan't see him on the tour bus exchanging zany Vic & Bob quotes with the band?? :D

Me neither.

I suspect more of a dry, wry wit - probably mostly Partridge, with some Chris Morris thrown in for good measure!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mojo filters wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:26 pm
angelsighs wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:14 pmcan't see him on the tour bus exchanging zany Vic & Bob quotes with the band?? :D

Me neither.

I suspect more of a dry, wry wit - probably mostly Partridge, with some Chris Morris thrown in for good measure!
haha I'm not sure.. it's really hard to know what kind of humour Jason has, he's a pretty inscrutable guy!

he likes a good pun, no? as evidenced by some of the lyrics on LICD
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:33 pm
he likes a good pun, no? as evidenced by some of the lyrics on LICD
Knowing A+E, Knowing You - Aha!
Dave Chappelle
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

https://www.primaverasound.es/noticiaSingle?id=1613

A reservation ticket will be required
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

mojo filters wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Me neither.

This makes me wonder if spaceman will ever write a spherical song.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

moop wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:37 pm
This makes me wonder if spaceman will ever write a spherical song.
Probably only if his arms end up feeling like a couple of fortnights in a bad balloon.
Dave Chappelle
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Does anyone know if the extra guitarist was in attendance? Looking at the you tube clips there is someone next to Doggen, but it doesn't seem to be the same person who played the Oslo gig.
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

Did anyone record the concert by chance?
bennieZes
New user

Primavera 2018

Post by bennieZes »

That was amazing When they ended with The Ocean, I remembered the other show at the Primavera Sound some years ago, which was magical too with the sea behind.
That is only my 2nd gig and I think the new songs are beautiful live. Im gonna check the tour dates, Id love not to have to wait for another 6 years
Hope the leg gonna get well soon. Thanks to Mister Hawley