April 18th Wire Whitechapel, London

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

spazed99
Known user

April 18th Wire Whitechapel, London

Post by spazed99 »

The Wire decamps to The Whitechapel for another evening of outsider
sounds, this time programmed in collaboration with the Treader label
featuring a rare solo guitar set by J Spaceman (aka Spiritualized’s
Jason Pierce), sets from clarinettist Alex Ward and drummer Mark Sanders
and The Wire Sound System DJs.

All ticket holders will get a free handmade and numbered Treader CD-R featuring music by all the musicians
appearing on the night. London Whitechapel, 18 April, 7pm, £6/£5,

http://www.thewire.co.uk
Greeny
Known user

Re: April 18th Wire Whitechapel, London

Post by Greeny »

Ah bollocks, bollocks, bollocks - I've already got tickets to see Harmonia at the QEH that evening.

Oh well, some you win, etc

:cry:
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Sorry to sound dim but where abouts in whitechapel is the gig? Or is that the name of the venue?
Shamz
New user

Post by Shamz »

sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

simonkeeping wrote:Sorry to sound dim but where abouts in whitechapel is the gig? Or is that the name of the venue?
In case you're going;
The online ticket ordering is not working properly so if it gives you hassle you might want to call them up instead.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

thanks people, appreciate that. Just looked on the site and its already sold out. oh well!

:::EDIT:::

They are still available. As sunny said call them
ben crook
Known user

Post by ben crook »

this will be amazing... worth the call. it's a great little room and the evan parker with birdsong show there was beautiful.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Didnt make it along to this in the end, gutted! How was it?
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

simonkeeping wrote:Didnt make it along to this in the end, gutted! How was it?

:D It was very beautiful! All three gigs were great. I've seen both Mark Sanders and Alex Ward several times and they were both as amazing as usual. I particularly liked a section where Sanders used these metal 'bowls' (I think that's what I saw- sorry if I'm getting the details wrong). I liked Ward's middle set the most. Part of what he did reminded me of things I've seen John Zorn do (but of course on a different instrument). He's a very impressive player, and melodic too. Yeah, full marks for that one.

Jason I have never seen play live on his own so I really had no idea what to expect, apart from maybe something like guitar loops. It was a lot more than that. Very beautiful, hypnotic. It feels more suitable to give a visual analogy...it reminded me of shards of light hitting the sea- flashes and reflections, waves, cascades. Some of the sounds and scratches reminded me of sparklers. I saw a gig in 2006 with an experimental musician, Lee Patterson, he actually used sparklers to make music with. Some of Jason's guitars sounds reminded me of the sound they make when miked up. Simon, I don't how to put explain this this objectively but personally I loved it. Jason's music always has this innate beauty and musicality to it no matter what style he does and I thought it was very evident last night.
The only way I can see anyone disappointed with that performance is if they were daft enough to expect some sort of solo 'busker' Spz set (perish the thought!). The way the event was billed, you'd have to be pretty dim going there expecting some normal tunes.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Wow that really does sound like it was a special night! what a beautiful review! thanks Sunny you painted the picture of the evening very well. Did you get the free cd? I wonder if its going to be put up on the site as a download?
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

simonkeeping wrote:Wow that really does sound like it was a special night! what a beautiful review! thanks Sunny you painted the picture of the evening very well. Did you get the free cd? I wonder if its going to be put up on the site as a download?
Yep, they gave everyone a CDr each. I'm not sure if it will be available elsewhere or for download... perhaps check the Treader site or ask John Coxon.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Nice one thanks sunny, Just out of interest was the cdr of the gig?
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

No, they were given out before the gig.
It's short snippets from the Treader records of each respective artist. (The Alex Ward cd is not out yet I think, so it's a nice preview). I'm not sure what happened to track number 3, must be a typo...
It's around 18 min in total.

The tracks are listed as;
1. Mark Sanders from TRD003
2. Alex Ward from TRD011
4. J Spaceman from TRD006

Nice cover as usual, but not the usual gold animals - it's white with some green pine type drawings (sorry i'm not very good at naming plant life). Design by Frauke Stegmann. Anyway, it's nice as always. :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Jasons set sounds great Sunny, I thought guitar loops was gonna be on the hypnotic and beautiful side of things, I was disappointed when it turned out to be very processed and chopped up. But this sounds just the ticket.