The Heads live in 2009

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

The Heads live in 2009

Post by runcible »

A rare outing for Bristol's finest psychedelic distortion experts takes place in October this year. The boys are supporting their heroes Mudhoney on at least one date. The lucky people who are travelling to London for the Spiritualized RFH shows might want to add this date to their calendar, as Mudhoney and The Heads play at Koko's the night before the first RFH gig; that's Sunday October 11th.

Evidence here:
http://rocketrecordings.blogspot.com/

Rumour also has it that the same carnage may be witnessed at TJ's in Leeds the night before - Saturday October 10th. I think this is the first gig The Heads have played in Yorkshire and about time too.

What's worth noting is that The Heads are meant to be playing a full hour-long set which is brilliant news. Blink and you'll miss it...
sunray
Known user

Re: The Heads live in 2009

Post by sunray »

Fantastic news Runci, myself and my girlfriend are coming over for the RFH Monday night gig so hopefully we'll be hitting this too.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Good heads up Mark, thanks. Noticed on that link Oneida are doing a few UK dates in August.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yeah I saw that about Oneida - I'd love to see them again. Teeth of the Sea are getting a lot of positive press although I found them rather strange at the Rocket birthday bash last year.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

This is starting to look like an epic few days. Durutti Column are playing King's Place in London on the 9th, I've got the 10th free, The Heads et al on the 11th and then the Ladies and Gents gigs on 12th/13th. Anyone got any gig tips for the 10th???
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

:D we've bumped out arrival for the morning of the 11th

hmm, and post #666 :wink:
I think I feel it coming on
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm doing my best to get to both Mudhoney/Heads dates and then Spiritualized too. Phew - psychedelic frenzy!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

These gigs are now confirmed with a bonus for Bristol folk on October 9th when they play at The Croft on their own. There's also another ultra limited CD on the way.

http://www.theheadsrock.com/homepage.html
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:These gigs are now confirmed with a bonus for Bristol folk on October 9th when they play at The Croft on their own. There's also another ultra limited CD on the way.

http://www.theheadsrock.com/homepage.html
That cd is now available, just ordered mine. Get 'em while you can, double cd in a gatefold sleeve, 100 copies.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

cheers for that, just ordered :)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Some of their stuff is going for really incredible money. Just seen this!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Heads-At-Last ... 286.c0.m14

There's actually 2 other limited versions of this.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

(Re-posting this in case people missed it as I had just added it to a previous post...)

If you have any interest in seeing the London Heads/Mudhoney show at Koko's the Leeds gig is totally sold out and I am told London isn't far away from being full too. The dreaded Seetickets have tickets available but I'd suggest starting elsewhere first!

I'm hoping a few RFH attendees are coming along...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Tickets booked. I'm actually looking forward to seeing The Heads way more than Spiritualized the following night.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Time In Space Vol. II just arrived, #35/100, sitting here shitting myself , about to press play :twisted:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Stumbled across this at the weekend: http://johnnylove-fuzztone.blogspot.com ... =the+heads The Heads live from last years Roadburn festie, at least that's what it says, i haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. FLAC file, hence the size.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

a million thanks sunray, that blog has Joy Division's performance in Amsterdam on 1/11/80 and its an A+ recording, most likely sound board direct :D THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

purespace wrote:a million thanks sunray, that blog has Joy Division's performance in Amsterdam on 1/11/80 and its an A+ recording, most likely sound board direct :D THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
Do you have any of their 2-disc collectors editions? I want to know how it compares to the bootlegs on them.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

sadly I don't have any of the collectors editions to compare it to. Most of my Joy Division is Factory vinyl. But if you go here http://johnnylove-fuzztone.blogspot.com ... chive.html the show is in 3 parts. Again, this is a bootleg so not sure if it's comparable to an official release or remaster. But this is brilliant for bootleg quality. And sad listening to it with the hindsight that Ian would be gone 4 months later :oops:
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Would have been up for this had I read it a bit sooner. But i guess it does mean I'll still be able to hear the RFH concerts :wink:
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Really torn about this one....I will be in London, but I can't say I am a fan of Mudhoney.

It's a battle between being disrespectful to the headliner vs. will I ever see them in the states?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

They've only been to the US once in 17 years so don't count on it. I know they'd love to go back if possible though. They are playing their full hour set at Koko's which is rare for them on a support slot. I've driven 200 miles and seen them do a 25 minute support before.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

simonkeeping wrote:Would have been up for this had I read it a bit sooner. But i guess it does mean I'll still be able to hear the RFH concerts :wink:
Si, get yourself a ticket. I'll be there with runci et al.

M
Design.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Would love to but im skint until I get paid unfortunately. Im playing on Saturday night though :wink: if you fancy a more, how can I put it, back to basics venue?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

simonkeeping wrote:Would love to but im skint until I get paid unfortunately. Im playing on Saturday night though :wink: if you fancy a more, how can I put it, back to basics venue?
Well that's a shame since I only arrive to London on Sunday.
Hopefully I'll be living there before the year is out.

M
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I have a spare ticket for Mudhoney/The Heads on Sunday is anyone is interested. Can't remember what I paid - £17 or something.

PM me if anyone's interested.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

The Heads were great in Bristol the other night. Lots of people were wigging out to them, me included. First time I've seen them. Also, I have to say the support act, Big Naturals (http://www.myspace.com/bignaturalsrock) were awesome. They were just 2 guys, one on bass and one on drums. They sounded like an instrumental kraut version of Kyuss, or something. What made their set even better was that they were set up on the floor in front of the stage so we were all able to stand around them in a kind of semi circle and get pounded by the noise close up.
Yeah, great night. 8)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Heads were extraordinary in both Leeds (right Rameses?) and London (right Sunray, Shaun?). The guy in London who freaked out and said that he thought Van Halen supporting Black Sabbath in 1978 was the most incredible support he'd ever seen 'but THAT is by MILES the most incredible support band EVER' and then bought every item on the entire merch stall was worth the price of entry alone.

There's nothing quite like it. Sadly I'm told UK gigs are very unlikely for the foreseeable future as they prefer larger European festivals. Glad I saw these 2 slots though. Ferocious is an understatement. Modlab will back me up.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

And so will i. Had been banging on about this gig to my girlfriend ever since it was announced and she quickly understood why. She wanted to leave after, and i know Shaun actually did, 'cos there was no way anyone could come on after that and top it. She got talking outside to Hugo the bass player and he couldn't believe that someone felt that way! I'd only seen them once before and this gig wasn't as good but it was top quality nonetheless. Nice to get myself a Heads t-shirt at last and also picked up Time In Space cd and 33 vinyl. :D

Fantastic band, really baffles me as to why they're not even big in their own genre, none of my friends have even heard of, let alone heard, them. I'm guessing it's because they're lazy and really can't be that arsed. :?:
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

And so shall I Sunray.

Extraordinary in London ? Simply yes. That landlord was but a distant memory after that onslaught, indeed I have only just remembered him and his putrid beer. I felt bruised by that show but I want even more of them now. It's of no importance to me if I do not know the title of any of their songs, which I did not. It's simply a case of stand there and have your brain fried. Did I see the Van Halen man or not ? I was out of there soon after. It was like fleeing from a scene of total carnage.

Was only the second time seeing them. The previous time was at the Cargo which is a much smaller venue than the Koko and that probably gave the feeling of it being more in your face, but that performance was it's equal. I am now addicted to Heads gigs. Their gigs are now my huckleberry.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shaun wrote:And so shall I Sunray.

That landlord was but a distant memory after that onslaught, indeed I have only just remembered him and his putrid beer.
Jesus I forgot about that. What the fuck was his problem? He looked like he'd pickled himself in a barrel earlier in the evening. His rudeness to you was bizarre. Your beer was OK, it was ours that tasted like it had been through a stale washing up bowl.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

runcible wrote: Jesus I forgot about that. What the fuck was his problem? He looked like he'd pickled himself in a barrel earlier in the evening. His rudeness to you was bizarre. Your beer was OK, it was ours that tasted like it had been through a stale washing up bowl.
Ha Ha...Yes he did look well pickled. Your beers were just foul. I only asked for beer so I can't understand why he was as rude as that to me.