The Velvet Underground - A Todd Haynes documentary

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

veiko
Known user

The Velvet Underground - A Todd Haynes documentary

Post by veiko »

The Velvet Underground explores the multiple threads that converged to bring together one of the most influential bands in rock and roll.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7230750/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_3

Trailer> https://youtu.be/hWq7a8Tin8g
ro
Known user

Re: The Velvet Underground - A Todd Haynes documentary

Post by ro »

WoW !!!
that looks fantastic
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I watched this last week. It's really cool to see and hear the Velvet Underground, but I have to admit I thought it was a bit dull. I love the John Cale experimental music explanations, but once the documentary went past him leaving, it dropped off fast.

Doesn't mention Squeeze! haha
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I watched this too. For starters trying to get that band's history squeezed into 2 hours was ambitious. It should have been 3 or 4 2 hour episodes. They had a lot of dead air with slow shots of people's faces which seemed like a waste of screen time. I guess the 'arty' angle proved too much to resist for the film makers. That said there were lots of fascinating clips and interviews which made it well worth watching. But no recent interview with Doug Yule? I can't believe they didn't approach him but it seems odd he isn't prepared to talk about his time in the band. He contributed so much and I love that era!

Worth a watch but I think ultimately they missed a trick. I hope this isn't regarded as the definitive Velvets doc in years to come as there's so much more to the band than what was shown.