14%
Pre 1950s
14%

Total votes: 7

nickh
Known user

The best decade for film

Post by nickh »

Just been looking through my pitifully small DVD and Blu Ray collection and it seems the vast majority are from the 1970’s which prompted the above poll.

The 1970’s seemed a rich decade for some absolute corking films…

From my own collection, Dawn of the Dead, The Godfather, Performance (I am going to include this as was released in 1970), The Warriors, The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, Apocalypse Now, Quadrophenia, The Wicker Man…

Off the top of my head I can also think of Dirty Harry, Jaws, The Exorcist, A Clockwork Orange, Escape from Alcatraz, The French Connection, Taxi Driver, One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest...

Yours?
redcloud
Known user

Re: The best decade for film

Post by redcloud »

A great thread.

If we are looking at American films only, the '70's certainly seemed to usher in the Hollywood blockbuster. 'Jaws', 'American Graffiti', 'Star Wars' etc. For better or worse, this changed contemporary movies entirely. The 70's also really kick started the contemporary horror film genre with 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' and 'Halloween'. In terms of comedy, 'Animal House' too influenced a ton of films.

But, I would have to vote for the 70's for one reason alone....'Harold & Maude'! This is, hands down, my favorite film of all time. Oh, and Hal Ashby's other film, 'The Last Detail' (1973) is also pretty special!
bunnyben
Known user

Re: The best decade for film

Post by bunnyben »

the 70's look like they were great (star wars, godfather etc)

but i've gone for the 50s- that is when the true stars were- brando, bardot, taylor etc and the first films in Glorious Technicolour!. the next one would be the 60s with the spagetti westerns and great documentries like 'don't look back' and fellini etc but then you have the pre 50s with chaplin and film noir. very hard question but nothing from now really compares (few exceptions of course) but as big films

how many people are voting for an era which just happens to coincide with their childhood?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'