the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
moop
Known user

Re: the rum diary

Post by moop »

i thought so in america. uk release date is the 11th of this month.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

it looks very good, i'll go to see it when it's out
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

aparently it took only 5 million dollars in it's first weekend and has 'flopped' in the us... :roll:
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Haven't seen the film but I'm half way through the screenplay and it's vintage Bruce with some of the better HST thrown in too. Withnail was a commercial flop but that didn't stop it turning into the cult classic we all love today. I see this film going the same way. Apparently Bruce was asked to write the Fear & Loathing film but passed on it.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

I have my own rum diary. Doesn't read well. Shaun is beginning his too...at the deep end with a No.7!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

PopeJez wrote:Haven't seen the film but I'm half way through the screenplay and it's vintage Bruce with some of the better HST thrown in too. Withnail was a commercial flop but that didn't stop it turning into the cult classic we all love today. I see this film going the same way. Apparently Bruce was asked to write the Fear & Loathing film but passed on it.
heard an interview with Bruce Robinson last week ,he said he wrote the entire screenplay himself ,except for 2 line from HST.
Read the book awhile back ,pretty good ,be interested to see the film but not "go to the cinema "interested ,probably wait for the DVD.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I spotted the "right kind of eyes" which is a direct quote from HST - although from Fear & Loathing, not Rum Diary. Nearlt finished the screenplay and loved it. Financially a film like this will never do well - it's sort of an old fashioned film. But, since when did anyone except corporations measure artistic value by $? I think this was a labour of love by Depp to get the film made and made well.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

PopeJez wrote:Financially a film like this will never do well - it's sort of an old fashioned film. But, since when did anyone except corporations measure artistic value by $? I think this was a labour of love by Depp to get the film made and made well.
yeah, for sure. for anyone interested there's a really good doc on the making of fear and loathing (Gonzo, i think it was called?), which shows hunter's attempts to get the film made. there are some amazing moments where they're hanging out together and hunter gets a little freaked out that depp appears to have taken on his persona. i also remember there's a part where depp is reading a chapter from fear and loathing and it's clear that the whole thing means a lot to him. I like to think that his reasoning for doing the pirates of the caribbean films was so he had the power to make projects like this actually happen. next up, don quixote? :lol:
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Guessed wrote:I have my own rum diary. Doesn't read well. Shaun is beginning his too...at the deep end with a No.7!
Is the number 7 that good?? I haven't started the diary yet but it won't read well, that I'm sure of.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

just saw it. very good! :D

one of the best parts is when depp is asking what happened to the guy he's replacing and is told why and stands there repeating '...he was raped to death' :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Sadly, this film was considered a flop in America. It disappeared from the cinemas pretty quickly. But, that has more to do with the fact that many Depp fans who went to see it probably had no idea where the premise of the film comes from or that it was an early HST book. The reviews themselves were all over the place too but I did read a very good one from a trusted critic.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it bunnyben. My wife and I very much wanted to see it but we never got around to going before it was yanked from the cinema. We'll need to rent it.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

We just spent Christmas in Puerto Rico and stayed a few nights in the sleepy fishing village of Naguabo where two of the film's scenes were filmed. Here's a night time pic I took of the harbor as the fisherman were bringing in the days catch.

I think I feel it coming on