Friday Night Lights

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Friday Night Lights

Post by spzretent »

I just finished watching the final season(5) of Friday Night Lights. This may well be the best tv series I have ever watched. Not sure if it aired in the UK. You guys get most of our shows.
This show is based around Texas high school football. But more importantly the relationships in a small town in Texas.
Fantastic writing. Hand held cameras. Fantastic acting.
Part of the movie was scored by Explosions In The Sky.
Bummed the series is over.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Hofstadter
Known user

Re: Friday Night Lights

Post by Hofstadter »

Yeah man it is pretty fantastic. I'm in LA, and so my high school experience is obviously really different. I love just sort of the different, more classic american life it shows, something I know I'll never have (don't know if that is good or bad). The whole rah rah, community, sports based culture that just doesn't exist where I live in LA/with the things I am interested in. I always get sort of sad whenever I rewatch episodes (or when I was watching them for the first time). One of my best friends' dad actually wrote and directed a lot of episodes.

If you are looking for a new series, the doods who did FNL are making Parenthood right now (third season?). It's not as much up my alley, but still good. I watch it on and off.

Also, just cause I absolutely love this show to death and have seen the complete run three times, the series you should actually get into if you haven't already is the Wire. Just sayin'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sports aint my thing at all but what ive caught of this seems really good.

is there any Explosions music in the series or just the movie?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Your Hand in Mine is the theme song for the opening credits, and yeah lots of stuff is used just sort of as scoring throughout the series. There's also lots of really good music in general throughout the series -- I think the song Devil Town by Bright Eyes (used a few times) sorta captures the series as a whole -- just the whole atmosphere/tone.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

angelsighs wrote:sports aint my thing at all but what ive caught of this seems really good.

is there any Explosions music in the series or just the movie?
There is a lot more than sports going on in this series even though the series is based on a high school football team.
It is beautifully shot too. Shame its over.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

It's funny, my sister is in college, and pretty much all of her friends might be what one calls 'theater types' if you feel like throwing labels around (one thing is for sure -- none of them really like sports at all/know what the difference is between a first down and a home room... ok maybe that's an exaggeration, but still), but they all have just gotten really into FNL -- I think, and I've talked to a lot of people like this, sometimes it appeals more to people who normally don't like sports. (on the other hand, this is probably just me trying to convince you to watch it.). Point is, you don't need to be into sports to enjoy it as spzretent said.

spzretent wrote:It is beautifully shot too.
I also really love the way its shot, I think some people don't dig the steady cam thing as much though. I was just talking to my friend's dad who wrote/directed a lot of episodes (David Hudgins) a few weeks ago, and he told me something interesting that I didn't know before -- they shoot almost all the scenes with no rehearsal. That's pretty much unheard of on most tv series. I was thinking about that and I think that totally contributes to the sort of natural grace with which a lot of the scenes play out -- it makes it so that the actors aren't really overdoing it and the direction is really subtle -- the cinematography is also never in your face, sort of like you are just there -- it never tries to do anything fancy or anything, another product I think of not having any rehearsal time. Sort of a cool unique tidbit about the show that I'm glad I found out and thought I'd share. Hope yall find it interesting too.