Breaking Bad (spoiler alert!)

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

Re: Breaking Bad (spoiler alert!)

Post by runcible »

Good points raised JW but this is TV of course so a little artistic licence is permitted! What if the Nazi who got in the car insisted Walt parked where he was originally told to? Lots of stuff you could pick fault with. But as an ending it was perfect. I agree with you Paul - Jesse had to get out and the way that Walt - who had ordered his execution - saved him was moving.

The scene with the Grey Matters was amazing. Shivers down the spine stuff and I loved the husband having to push his wife's hand towards Walt's handshake. I also found the moment where Walt said goodbye to Holly intensely moving as - for the first time in endless episodes - Skyler's face had an expression of love and tranquility.

I miss it already. I can see myself going back and watching it all again sometime...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

TheWarmth wrote: My two favorite tv shows up to this point were Twin Peaks and Six Feet Under. I think Breaking Bad tops both of them.

you know me, i don't like to be contrary(!) but.. as much as i enjoyed it, i dont think BrBa would feature in my top 5. it might not even make the top 10 if i'm being totally honest.
i don't want it to seem like i'm being contrary just for the sake of it, i do think it's a genuinely great show & one of the most coherent arc's (inc all the plots, not just walt's) i've seen delivered on tv.

i think it's blessed to be create in this era where the standard of competitors isn't great. people talk about a golden age of tv but that's just bullshit. look at the likes of Boardwalk Empire which is all budget & pompous bluster or Sons of Anarchy which veers between idiotic & stupid. or there's House of Cards which was just one big advert or The Newsroom which is a show which can only be enjoyed by hate-watching.
Justified is really the only other show i can think of atm that deserves the hype & attention it gets but even it is limited & takes enormous liberties. Hannibal is really promising but really coming in after BrBa.
in a sense BrBa has an open run @ the zeitgeist & i think it's been catapulted beyond it's actual content to a status it maybe wouldn't have achieved in another time.

it's just, in trying to compare it w/my other favourite shows (which is a p impossible task, like comparing favourite books or albums or songs to an extent) i think it's just lacking that something different that made Twin Peaks or The Soprano's or The Wire that little bit more special. it lacks the vision & values of those shows which to me elevated the medium to a higher artistic field (how's that for pompous bluster?!).

i think BrBa was limited in that it needed to be a perfect tv show where continuity & rules were uniform & key. my favourite shows took the tv medium & broke the rules & kind of followed the laws of their own universe.
BrBa basing itself so significantly on the process of chemistry set itself predefined limits of where it could go whereas Twin Peaks & The Soprano's seemed were more driven by the imagination of their creators. BrBa was always reacting to the characters rather than trying to create a world which mirrored reality & had something to say like The Wire or, again, The Soprano's. BrBa was much more in the tradition of tv shows where my favourite shows feel as if they come from a different lineage & are just using tv to get their message across.

but i mean, as i write that my complaints regarding BrBa feel more like reasons to praise it & beatify it & i think that's true: it really was a great body of work. i just think in comparison to my other favourite shows it does lack something.. some kinda angry mad visionary. BrBa seems more like a tv box ticking exercise than the judgement & reflection of my favourite shows.
not that it didn't have those elements, suchas w/it's brilliant invoking of drug subculture, it just seemed to be secondary to the idea of being a tv show rather than the other way around.
which maybe is how it should be. like i say a lot of my issues w/the show are actually positives, just in comparison is all..

i don't know. i will miss it because it was 45mins of entertainment but in terms of a resonating impact on me i never felt that weight coming off it.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

runcible wrote:Good points raised JW but this is TV of course so a little artistic licence is permitted! What if the Nazi who got in the car insisted Walt parked where he was originally told to? Lots of stuff you could pick fault with. But as an ending it was perfect. I agree with you Paul - Jesse had to get out and the way that Walt - who had ordered his execution - saved him was moving.

The scene with the Grey Matters was amazing. Shivers down the spine stuff and I loved the husband having to push his wife's hand towards Walt's handshake. I also found the moment where Walt said goodbye to Holly intensely moving as - for the first time in endless episodes - Skyler's face had an expression of love and tranquility.

I miss it already. I can see myself going back and watching it all again sometime...
i enjoyed it so much more the 2nd time of watching. for some reason i laughed a whole lot more.

the Jesse/Walt showdown i thought they handled particularly well. he finally broke free from Walt 'playing' him. & i agree Skyler/Anna Gunn was amazing in that scene. both her & Cranston seemed to have put their bodies thru the ringer to lose weight & look particularly harrowed. Jesse/Aaron Paul by contrast looked positively chubby for someone who'd been kept prisoner by neo-nazi's for the best part of a year.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

It was fantastic. Nothing too predictable- the show was ending, they weren't going to throw any curveballs at us this late in the game. After the two draining episodes before it, this episode needed to be cathartic and offer closure. I loved it, and feel content at how it was rounded up.

I think the reason I liked it is that Walt's 'luck' returned, and it seems to appear when he's doing the right thing. He hasn't been the 'good guy' in a while. It's a nice touch that they afforded the character some humanity just before he died. The attack on the aryan brotherhood is up there with the magnets, tuco, etc...

Love the gun in the boot, Jesse's woodwork dream (a hint that he does have something of a future now), the grey matter stuff. Hell, the whole thing was great. Still very sad to see Walt in the last scene- we've all known since episode one what was coming, yet it was still a reminder that it is over. End of.

You could argue the points about realism. But it's television, it's meant to be fun and take you outwith. In my opinion, to fault the show on realism at this stage is to nitpick.

For me, this show ties with the Sopranos as my all-time favourite.

A few little tidbits I like

The episode name when broken into elements found on the periodic table are Fe (iron), Li (lithium), and Na (sodium.) With these elements is a play on the popular phrase "blood, sweat, and tears" with "blood, meth, and tears." The title is also an anagram of "finale".

62 episodes of Breaking Bad. The 62nd element in the periodic table is Samarium, which is used to treat lung cancer.

Fantastic.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Also, whoever picked "Baby Blue" by Badfinger to play at the very end deserves an award. So brilliant. Personally, I'd take Breaking Bad over Sopranos any day.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

As for the "golden age of television," there is some truth to it, IMO. I can't imagine ten to fifteen years ago seeing anything like Mad Men or Breaking Bad on any network other than HBO and even that would have been a stretch. There are plenty of genuinely hilarious comedies on now: Parks & Rec and Modern Family are both tremendously entertaining. You obviously have a problem with Boardwalk Empire, but I sure don't. That show is a blast. Newsroom ... I'll give you that one.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Nice post Heisenberg! I like the little things they added to the programme like that. I know there are loads of them that I missed.

Playing Marty Robbins 'El Paso' (a nice choice but I prefer the Dead's take on that song!) with its prophetic lyrics was a neat touch. I knew that cassette would have some significance.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

He should have killed Jesse.

Felina is in the girl in the El Paso song. It's to represent the meth that Walt loved like the girl the gunslinger in the song loved. Yea props to the on the Badfinger choice but it's so on point. I'm more impressed w/the Marty Robbins thing. Using that as the inspiration takes balls. I didn't actually think the BrBa guys had it in them til that cassette dropped out of the glove box.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote:Felina is in the girl in the El Paso song.
God bless Sigmund Freud!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote:He should have killed Jesse.

Felina is in the girl in the El Paso song. It's to represent the meth that Walt loved like the girl the gunslinger in the song loved
I don't agree - I think Jesse had to get out.

The lyrics to El Paso are also pretty spot on:
Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel
A deep burning pain in my side.
...as Walt has been shot...
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Pretty surprised that it was such a "good" "light" ending... I enjoyed it and it felt gratifying, but I feel like part of the show's "special-sauce" is that painful element of watching things go extremely darkly... just surprising that the show is called "Breaking Bad" and in the end Walt redeemed himself. Whatever I'm happy :)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

the strange thing about the finale was how in control of every situation Walt was.
but that, like most minor complaints w/the show, can be explained away - this time by his intelligence (that's such an easy get out of jail free card, although never usually quite literally). but usually something happens, things go awry & he has to make desperate moves to steady the ship. this time all his calculations worked out just a little too neatly, it was all a little too easy for him. the only moment of jeopardy was when they took his car keys.

but like i said before you couldn't really trade a plot twist for the closure 'cause that really would've been totally out of step w/the show. it was always a show which had logical consequences & actions, the difference this time was Walt was in control & things worked out p much exactly how he'd wanted.

it was a redemption of a kind & a bit of a hollywood/happy ending. i mean the nazi's could've killed him & it would've been the same thing except the bad guys get away w/it. i think that could've worked but they prob felt they had to tie it up so they wouldn't be a threat to Skyler & the family.
runcible wrote:
jack white wrote:He should have killed Jesse.

Felina is in the girl in the El Paso song. It's to represent the meth that Walt loved like the girl the gunslinger in the song loved
I don't agree - I think Jesse had to get out.

The lyrics to El Paso are also pretty spot on:
Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel
A deep burning pain in my side.
...as Walt has been shot...
ha if only i'd known the song before, it just foreshadowed the whole thing.
that song & badfinger are going to blow up now. & deservedly so. i didn't know marty robbins before, he seems kinda cheesy - that album cover was so funny - but that's a great song even w/o the BrBa link.

& yea i agree Jesse had to make it. he was probably the soul of the show. his trajectory @ least emotionally being the opposite to that of walt. but just for bugging the hell out of me so long, "yo", i wanted him gone!
i mean Walt did go to the compound w/the intention of killing Jesse. there wasn't really any justification for him not following thru w/it except that he'd reconciled his Heisenberg to his Walt i guess, & made his own peace & forgiveness w/Jesse.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

heisenberg wrote:
For me, this show ties with the Sopranos as my all-time favourite.

A few little tidbits I like

The episode name when broken into elements found on the periodic table are Fe (iron), Li (lithium), and Na (sodium.) With these elements is a play on the popular phrase "blood, sweat, and tears" with "blood, meth, and tears." The title is also an anagram of "finale".

62 episodes of Breaking Bad. The 62nd element in the periodic table is Samarium, which is used to treat lung cancer.

Fantastic.

brilliant...missed those completely

Skyler: "You look terrible."
Walt: "Yeah. But I feel good" :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

K A F K A E S Q U E

Post by BzaInSpace »

At last...

I've initially ignored and latterly completely avoided this thread. Annoying via my phone though as it would show unread stuff and a short sample of recent posts - kept deleting stuff so I couldn't read any spoilers! In fact the whole fuckin' internet was awash with spoilers so been trying to remain oblivious to it all.

Thankfull it worked. Bit late to the party here, but after several weeks of ploughing through all five seasons we watched the final, epic conclusion of Breaking Bad tonight.

Just fucking WOW. That's easily the best TV drama/show/whatever I've ever seen. Even previous (IMO) recipients of this accolade such as The Sopranos, Battlestar Galactica (modern version!), Sons of Anarchy, Les Revenants... this is so much better. Outstanding shit. Went wild tonight looking at the massive chunk of the internet dedicated to BB (again, completely avoided all that stuff) - Sir Anthony Hopkins is a massive fan it seems. Some hilarious memes and stuff too.

Anyway. I look forward to reading through this whole thread now, and will no doubt add some stuff later on. Guess I'll have a bit more time each evening now too...
O P 8
Hofstadter
Known user

Re: K A F K A E S Q U E

Post by Hofstadter »

BzaInSpace wrote:Battlestar Galactica
Glad to see this getting some love. I completely agree with the statement that it is an amazing show. I think it really is a show "of" the post-9/11 world. It does what great SF does - uses a context different than ours to examine serious moral/ethical issues. And there's awesome space stuff. A lot of times those two things happen simultaneously too...

But yeah, for a show that deals with terrorism, governance, paranoia, race, intelligence/AI/sentience, religion, you name it... this show is seriously awesome. There are definitely a few weaker episodes here and there, but overall amazing, on the edge of your seat stuff. Olmos is friggin legendary as Adama.

Y'all should watch this next. or the Wire. I'll keep saying that. To me, that is literally the best thing on television ever, and makes shows like Breaking Bad and BSG seem like phony childsplay.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

BSG totally shit the bed w/it's finale.

It is one of best sci-fi shows & had many great episodes. & it does deserve a lot of credit for the subjects it tackled in that context. However I felt a lot of the time it ended up falling flat on it's face, it just couldn't carry off the themes it was tackling: they wrote themselves in knots sometimes - so often Adama or Roslin would do things utterly contrary to their character. At the end of the day Gauis & Starbuck & the (initial) Cylon cast were the best things about the show dean stockwell p much stole every scene he was in.
Oh man & the whole all along the watchtower reveal was sooooo fking stupid! Oh man..

Firefly's prob best modern sci-fi show.

SoA is a decent show but sometimes it's really terrible.

You should hunt down Terriers it was a great show got dumped after its 1st season.. Like firefly.. Tho it wasn't a sci-fi show just invade there's any confusion.
But yea surely everyone has done the wire by now, no?

I'm trying to do Six Feet Under again. It's a great show it hell of annoying cast! Each ep is prob too long to, that's one thing BB really got right.

I'd say Justified is prob my fave US tv show left. It & mad men. I miss Luck, it was really brilliant. Should defo watch Deadwood if you haven't. Alongside the soprano's & the wire it really made the holy trinity of tv's proper golden era.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Not reading anything in this thread as i don't want to know anything, but i've just about finished season 2 of this and it superb veiwing. Could really do with slapping Jessie sometimes tho... oh and Walt's wife and sister... a real pain in the ass those two are!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Laz69 wrote:Not reading anything in this thread as i don't want to know anything, but i've just about finished season 2 of this and it superb veiwing. Could really do with slapping Jessie sometimes tho... oh and Walt's wife and sister... a real pain in the ass those two are!
ha! a man after my own heart.

what still pisses me off about the final season & that scene skyler & marie had w/walt jr is how high & mighty they were & how the writers conveniently forgot about marie's shoplifting & all the bad shit skyler has pulled - her adultery, her keenness to cook the books for walter & that guy she was sleeping with.
how on earth do they get to be the good guys & judge walt after the shit they've pulled?! they were the bad guys walt was the hero!
& yet walt jr turned against his father. wtf?! totally egregious carryon, he never even gave walt a chance, just judged him & took the word of two twisted women!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote:what still pisses me off about the final season & that scene skyler & marie had w/walt jr is how high & mighty they were & how the writers conveniently forgot about marie's shoplifting & all the bad shit skyler has pulled - her adultery, her keenness to cook the books for walter & that guy she was sleeping with.
how on earth do they get to be the good guys & judge walt after the shit they've pulled?! they were the bad guys walt was the hero!
& yet walt jr turned against his father. wtf?! totally egregious carryon, he never even gave walt a chance, just judged him & took the word of two twisted women!
You think what those women did was worse than Walt? Try and count the amount of deaths Walt is responsible for! There's over 100 on that plane for starters, plus endless others.

No matter what they did it is pretty small fry compared with Walt's utter hellish descent into brutal control and destruction.

I said before that Walt Jr stuck by his dad until he saw him lose it and finally the real demon was there for him to see. That would do it for a lot of people. It was brilliant that they kept Walt Jr devoted to his dad til right towards the end - to lose Walt Jr's love was the absolute final nail. There was no one left for him except Holly who was too small to express it. So neatly done.

The clinching moment was Walt telling Skyler he did it all for himself when she expected him to say it was for her or the family. What a twist - I bet you didn't expect him to say that. I certainly didn't.

Nothing pissed me off about the final season - all I can find is praise for every bit of it.

So I don't agree with you at all. Except that Walt was indeed a hero of kinds - I was with him all the way!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

jack white wrote:BSG totally shit the bed w/it's finale. It is one of best sci-fi shows & had many great episodes. & it does deserve a lot of credit for the subjects it tackled in that context. However I felt a lot of the time it ended up falling flat on it's face, it just couldn't carry off the themes it was tackling: they wrote themselves in knots sometimes - so often Adama or Roslin would do things utterly contrary to their character. At the end of the day Gauis & Starbuck & the (initial) Cylon cast were the best things about the show dean stockwell p much stole every scene he was in.
Oh man & the whole all along the watchtower reveal was sooooo fking stupid! Oh man..
I still don't get the 'All Along The Watchtower' thing, in the sense of why that song was used, and what did it mean? And indeed why that terrible new-age hippy version? Maybe there was a reason but I've long since forgot. Anyway, they should have used Dylan's after using the Hendrix take.

I watched the entire series not so long ago almost non-stop then life events forced it on the backburner for a while. I only had the the very last episodes to go as well. So I only watched them a few months back... I think the very last reveal regarding "Earth" was actually really good and I think the show tied up a lot/most loose ends. I thoroughly enjoyed so many elements of that show. The whole 'who's a Cylon' angle (initially) anyway was fantastic. Fucking awesome space battles. Some great acting - props to Edward James Olmos too. And hell, most of the cast was fantastic. I still don't get Dean Stockwell's brutally quick exit from the show. It's like... why?

But...Dr Gaius Baltar? Best character ever. And if described in four words only? "Russell Brand In Space".

If nothing else the show is worth watching for Caprica-6. What a stunner. :shock:

And the space battles...
jack white wrote:SoA is a decent show but sometimes it's really terrible.
Yep. But sometimes it's the terrible bits that actually make it decent. Chib's true West-of-Scotland badassness and Tig's highly questionable sexual mores are just some of the moments that make it worthwhile.
Runcible wrote:It was brilliant that they kept Walt Jr devoted to his dad til right towards the end - to lose Walt Jr's love was the absolute final nail.
I didn't like that part when Flynn wished his dad was dead. Because he thought he killed Hank? Hank's greed and willingness to rip apart his family apart in pursuit of his case got him killed. Which parallels Walt's greed and willingness to rip his family apart in pursuit of the perfect cook... Remember, Hank was quite happy to do anything to break his case - including getting Jesse killed - as long as he got Walt.

Flynn - all he did for five seasons was eat breakfast. True!

Walt should have made him a tasty ricin sandwich - maybe one for Skyler and Marie too. Now that would have been an ending.

:twisted:
O P 8
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

great post ^ love it. no more mr nice gaius!
the along the watchtower thing when they start quoting lines from it "there must be some kind of way out of here" "there's too much confusion here"... just thinking about it bugs the hell out of me!

but yea the space battles & caprica 6 were some of the est things ever on tv.

runcible wrote:.

I said before that Walt Jr stuck by his dad until he saw him lose it and finally the real demon was there for him to see. That would do it for a lot of people. It was brilliant that they kept Walt Jr devoted to his dad til right towards the end - to lose Walt Jr's love was the absolute final nail. There was no one left for him except Holly who was too small to express it. So neatly done.

The clinching moment was Walt telling Skyler he did it all for himself when she expected him to say it was for her or the family. What a twist - I bet you didn't expect him to say that. I certainly didn't.

yea but walt jr never gave walt the chance to explain himself. his mind was turned w/that conversation w/skyler & marie, before the fight at the home - which skyler instigated by the way..
i just think it's unfair they get to be the judge of walt regarding walt jr & yet they get to keep their secrets.

i get he had to lose walt jr for the particular arc but there were other directions they could've taken.
tho that probably would've required having another season dealing w/the impact on walt jr.

that scene where he says that to skyler was absolutely brilliant. both actors i thought were particularly superb, physically they looked harrowed.
& the joke about the beam being up for best support in a drama series - it was a sweet reveal, one of those many great touches the show had.
BUT it still did piss me off! (there's a surprise, huh?).
i mean walt admitting that was a stop along the road to redemption for him. it was all just too much of a happy ending, everything smoothed out & wrapped up nicely. i'd have maybe preferred it if they kept walt as the lying asshole he always was.
however i suppose by that stage he is in the end game & doesn't have anything left to lie for so i can understand it..
it just rankled a bit that he had his moments of redemption. the show until that point had never really done that, he'd always really been the bad guy by & large. it's a minor quibble, but then that's me.. it doesn't really matter that much it doesn't detract from the brilliance of the show. just there was scope for something different is all.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Great ep this week. Ep5.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I've avoided this thread and any BB references for months (quite easy actually) but i finally got to see the last eight episodes. Christ it was tense at times but I liked how it all panned out in the end though. I would've been really pissed off if Walt had ended up in custody. Must admit I was half expecting that to happen with a cop-out American ending of 'the bad man must be caught', thankfully not though.

I'd have preferred 'It's All Over Now Baby Blue' to finish with, no matter how obvious that would have been and I still think they could have ended it the previous season but these are minor quibbles. In fairness I'm surprised the final season was so good because I really couldn't see where it was going to go after the nursing home incident.

Great series, have watched a lot of it again over the past few months and it's better second time around.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

We started again from episode 1 a couple of weeks ago and have found it even more addictive a second time, and it reveals so much I missed the first time round - we're in the middle of series 4 right now and tend to hit a couple of episodes a night. At the moment I don't loathe the Gray Matter people as much as I did. There is so much more to them - like Walt being engaged to Gretchen at one point and then leaving her! I picked that up from interviews with Vince Gilligan and the actress who plays Gretchen.

This site is pretty incredible for picking up details you may have missed:
http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Breaking_Bad_Wiki

If you love that show as much as we do in this house that site will eat up hours of your time. There are others too.

Now go watch it again - it's even better!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I have been late to the party nere but like others, have successfully avoided all spoilers. Finally finished it last night. Most people have sumed it up, but I will just go on record as saying that its easily the best TV show I have ever seen.
Just starting Game of Thrones series 1 now !