Crossfire Hurricane

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

simonkeeping
Known user

Crossfire Hurricane

Post by simonkeeping »

Did anyone catch this on the BBC recently? I thought it was a little patchy. They skipped over Exile in about 5 minutes which was a real shame. Some great footage though off them in Nellcote though. One of the standout moments was definitely the band talking about Altamont, I'd seen some of it before in Gimme Shelter but I don't think I realised the horror and fear surrounding that event so much before.

It was great to see some of the unseen footage of the band playing too. Some of the backstage stuff from the 70's with Mick snorting coke of a knife, and everyone looking more than a little wide eyed was pretty cool too. I think the benefit of documentaries like this is that they reconnect you with the bands music with more understanding of the time and consequently make you appreciate just how dangerous there music was back then.

Plus, when all's said and done, they really were a cool bunch of dudes.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: Crossfire Hurricane

Post by MODLAB »

Vitamins & Salt.

New band name?

Was pretty good, I agree with you about Exile. Some of that footage was nice to see, even some scenes
from Cocksucker Blues.

B,

M
Design.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

MODLAB wrote:Vitamins & Salt.

New band name?

Ha ha Genius! I'd forgotten that particular line (so to speak)...
I've never seen all of Cocksucker Blues. Only some clips on Youtube before it got googled. What I saw was pretty dark though.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Would agree it was patchy but still very watchable. I was looking at it thinking to myself "Man, it must've been great to be in that band" :lol: , which is kinda the point i suppose.

Plenty of other Stones material on the beeb recently: Rock n Roll Circus, Culture Show interview with Keith Richards, and Charlie Is My Darling which is about their 1965 tour of Ireland! Sky+ it, haven't watched it yet but should be interesting just to see how they were received here back in those days of the ruling Catholic Church.

I've never seen Cocksucker Blues, must go search it out.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I really liked it actually, didn't find it too patchy. I mean, there's a lot to cram into a 2hr film and they did it pretty well and were wise to end it at the start of the 80's. The fast cut tripped out editing made the LSD 60's period look totally amazing, same with the sped up (coke fuelled?) early 70's scenes.

Loved the live footage and stage invasions from the Irish tour. Must've been mental being pawed and jumped on like that. I've seen Gimme Shelter loads of times so that whole period with Altamont and it's insanity is seared into my brain. I managed to see Cocksucker Blues at the BFI a number of years back.

It'll be interesting to hear what Stones album you stuck on straight after all that. Mine was Satanic Majesties. Massively underrated and criminally dismissed by the band and critics.

My mate saw them live last night (from a VIP box!) but I've yet to have his review. Pretty sure it'd have been great but it can't compare to their debauched pomp can it.
zeeshan
New user

Post by zeeshan »

I have seen Gimme Shelter loads of times so that whole period with Lamont and it's insanity is seared into my brain.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I watched it a few times and overall it was enjoyable and informative, even though a lot of the material is already available elsewhere it was a nicely packaged document.

What I thought is particularly of note was how generally poor the quality of the their live performances was, in those bits of the footage. Considering most of it seemed to come from what I consider to be far and away the Stones peak creative period - Let it Bleed, Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers-eras - the live performances mostly appeared pretty sloppy, rather than just characteristically 'loose'.

It certainly made all of their Rock'n'Roll Circus performance look pretty impressive and professional. For me, over the course of the 2-part show, they all too often looked like a lazy, sloppy and tiresome 70's-style pub blues-rock band.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle