Django Unchained

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Django Unchained

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone seen this yet? I haven't seen a movie in the theater since Black Swan and I'm thinking this might be the one. Also, apparently Spike Lee has taken issue with the movie, even though he hasn't actually seen it. He's gone on record saying something along the lines of Tarantino being disrespectful to Lee's ancestors by portraying slavery in a spaghetti-western setting.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Django Unchained

Post by runcible »

It's on my list to see...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Watching it right now and its absolutely fantastic! Really dark black comedy elements too!

Our German hero is the equally mesmerising German soldier from Inglorious Basterds... he's great!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The film has its moments, but I was unhappy with it on the whole. I really don't like Tarantino's style and the whole movie smacked of it to annoying proportions. The movie is arrogant and smarmy, just like Tarantino. It was also "hyper"-violent, which can rub people the wrong way.

The music is great and there are a few great scenes (lynch mob discussing the bags over their faces), but I'm not a fan.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Well, if you don't like Tarantino's style, then I'm surprised you even went to see it.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

When a woman wants to see a particular film, I tend to set aside my tastes in directors.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Looking forward to getting to see it, hopefully within the year. :roll:

Wasn't totally into Inglorious Basterds, although it deserves another viewing, and the opening sequence is masterful in it's use of suspense.

I'm all over Death Proof though - possibly a time-and-place thing, but I love everything about that movie. The OST was shit-hot as well.

Spike Lee condemns a film without even seeing it? Awesome.
O P 8
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

BzaInSpace wrote: Spike Lee condemns a film without even seeing it? Awesome.
It was pretty much just Spike Lee reminding people that he's black. The guy just really likes attention (look at him at Knicks games...). "Guys, I'm Spike Lee, and I directed Do the Right Thing". He really has only directed like two good movies... Do the Right Thing and Inside Man... pretty nervous about him directing an american version of Oldboy... it just doesn't need to happen. It's a pretty crazy japanese movie that is pretty... crazy. Just watch it.

But yeah, I don't get how Spike could criticize it - it obviously portrays slavery as an incredibly brutal/horrible thing... I guess he just feels like Tarantino is doing a little bit of profiteering...

Anyways, d-jango - gotta say, I was incredibly excited, and felt a little let down... pretty entertaining, but if he wanted to make an entertaining movie, there are just so many things that could have been done differently/better! It's in the same vein as Ing. Bast., and, although definitely not my favorite Tarantino film, is the one that clearly should be talked about in relation with DU, just does all those things better, with the biggest thing being pacing.

Mr. W is once again amazing and the highlight of the movie...

But regardless, Django was still very entertaining, if not as "good" as I hoped/everybody was making it out to be - not being very articulate as to why I thought that, I'm just very tired right now... maybe I will come back and edit this post and add some real thoughts so I'm not just saying it's bad......
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

if it's even a quarter as wild, fun & great as the original i'll be happy. i doubt it will be tho. not many films even aspire to that level of genius let alone attain it. & tarantino's career has been a series of diminishing returns, albeit mildly entertaining still.

what i hope most of all tho is that it uses the original's title theme song which is probably my favourite film theme ever.

it's up for d/l on torrents but i think i'm still gonna give QT the benefit of the doubt & go see it in the picturehouse.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Rinker
Known user

Post by Rinker »

Needed an editor this, too long and drawn out, lost all its tension and I was falling asleep as a result
Much preferred The Revenant
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

You must be thinking of the hateful 8, rinker? Easy enough mistake to make.

Anyway I didn't really care for django unchained, I absolutely loved the hateful 8 & really didn't like the revenant..
gonna burn brightly
for a while