THE RETURNED

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

THE RETURNED

Post by ORBITAL »

Anyone been watching this?

It's excellent in a kind of 'fuck with your head way'. Nicely acted and shot against a stunning backdrop, with a perfect soundtrack by Mogwai.

Ever so slightly slowly paced but I can forgive that.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: THE RETURNED

Post by Shinesalight »

Really enjoying this. Me and Mrs Shines are hooked on it. Getting a bit worried its going into Lost territory now though, with the whole looping scenery thing going on. Beautifully filmed though, and the Mogwai soundtrack certainly adds to the visuals. I like the slower paced feel to it. Excited to see how it all pans out.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Has this been translated/dubbed into English, then?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

English subtitles.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
johnnyboy
Known user

Re: THE RETURNED - *spoliers within*

Post by johnnyboy »

At last, a thread about The Returned! I mentioned it in the Mogwai thread a while back and would've thought it'd be a must watch for some folk on here. I'm really loving it and have given myself over to the fact that it's entirely unlikely that all the events and mysteries will be wrapped up in the final episode on Sunday. They're writing the 2nd season in France at the moment so i'm guessing it'll be a bit like Twin Peaks where it's all unexplained but amazing to watch and get lost in, which is fine by me.

I've never seen Lost and am glad I never got involved with it. Lots of seasons, sillier and sillier, and then a big let down, from what I've heard anyway.

The Returned, as said above, has great acting, very good looking and watchable actresses and actors (don't you just love the twins red hair, Julies vulnerable/sad face and her cat suit, Victors big eyes), fantastic soundtrack which gives the programme it's wonderful and creepy atmosphere.

Of course there's a load of questions that remain unanswered - where has Lena's scar gone, it's no longer mentioned at all, the boys who dug up the grave are now at the Helping Hand with Camille but haven't popped the question "why is your coffin filled with water?", why is Victor talking after so much creepy silence and looks......and on and on. I hope the final one is titled Madame Costa as I'd love to know some of her story as she seems to know an awful lot and has mentioned dying 3 times and seems to be inserting fear and unease amongst the gang. Plus, where is the local government, media, whoever?? I love the French shrug and 'meh' attitude to it all.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

My other half has being raving about this for weeks, it wasn't until she said Mogwai did the music that I realised what she was on about: "Oh, you mean Les Revenants? Yeah, I have the album. People are giving the programme good reports on the forum. What's it about?" :lol:

So with all that, I've just watched the first seven episodes last night and this morning. I like it. Nicely paced and atmospheric, Mogwai's music really works well. Plenty to contemplate. I reckon they're all dead. :wink:

Apparently it's based on a French film called 'They Came Back'.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

I was a bit exasperated by the finale. I felt it never really 'gave us anything', inasmuch as it left many more questions ad not much in the way of resolution of the questions raised in series 1.
Now, I understand a second series was always going to be lined up, but Jeez!

I'm away to The Lakk Poob for a sharpner.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

LES REVENANTS

Post by BzaInSpace »

ORBITAL wrote:Anyone been watching this? It's excellent in a kind of 'fuck with your head way'. Nicely acted and shot against a stunning backdrop, with a perfect soundtrack by Mogwai...
Ever so slightly slowly paced but I can forgive that.
johnnyboy wrote:The Returned, as said above, has great acting, very good looking and watchable actresses and actors (don't you just love the twins red hair, Julies vulnerable/sad face and her cat suit, Victors big eyes), fantastic soundtrack which gives the programme it's wonderful and creepy atmosphere...
Yep and yep agree... I avoided this thread as I didn't want to read any spoilers, as we've been watching it a week or so later each time, with a blow-out last night of the final episodes. I really enjoyed this show. Visually it's awesome - the slow pans and shots with the avoidance of jump cuts. And the girl who plays Lena is stunning...

The very fact it insists on close attention to be paid - no stupid "previously on The Returned!" recaps.

(If only the BBC was capable of producing stuff even a fraction this good - fuck them and their paedo-enabling license fee...) :evil:

I really like the Mogwai soundtrack - they've done excellent work here and the minimal, recurring themes are very evocative indeed. It's impossible to listen to the OST without it conjuring up images from the show - that's a good thing. The soundtrack is very much a fundamental part of the series magic I reckon. As far as fans of the more sedate Mogwai style are concerned, this is the album to get...
sunray wrote: Plenty to contemplate. I reckon they're all dead. :wink:
Do you know what, that crossed my mind too. They're trapped there aren't there. Where exactly are they anyway? I definitely think Adèle is dead. Isn't she?!
ORBITAL wrote:I was a bit exasperated by the finale. I felt it never really 'gave us anything', inasmuch as it left many more questions ad not much in the way of resolution of the questions raised in series 1.
Now, I understand a second series was always going to be lined up, but Jeez!
Yep - 10 minutes left and I was moaning that there was no way they could tie up any of the loose ends - in fact, there are more questions now than answers! The bastards. Gonna have to wait now.
ORBITAL wrote:I'm away to The Lakk Poob for a sharpner.
HAHAHA! :lol: See you at the bar.
O P 8
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

I felt exactly the same, BZA. I realised with about 15 minutes left that they couldn't possibly resolve matters. Felt a bit cheated to be honest with you. Why did La Horde not take Serge? It Was a glaring mistake if you ask me. Or was it...
I think the town symbolises purgatory and the souls don't know it. The lot of them are dead, maybe. The feral-looking one, drinking from the bog in the Lakk Poob is a sign of things to come for series two.

Why did Victor not fuck up Pierre when he had the chance? Ach, there's too many things I could ask. November 2014 will no doubt clear it all up ;-$
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Final episode was the only weak one of the eight. Worryingly, it left me with the feeling that series 2 is going to descend into bog-standard zombie nonsense :x
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Anyone watching season 2?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Absolutely loved season one, but really haven't enjoyed the first few of two so I've given up.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

James T wrote:Absolutely loved season one, but really haven't enjoyed the first few of two so I've given up.
I felt the same but stuck it out. It appeared to have reached a definite conclusion but I have no idea what any of it was about. Should it somehow manage a third season I won't be bothering with it.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Came to this late, watched series 1 in a 2 sitting binge not long before series 2 came on, I hear you guys, pretty baffling in parts its true, but I just loved the air of menace and `otherness` about the whole thing, visually/ cinematography it was something else as well, both series. Come the end I wouldn`t claim to know what happened or why, but I did enjoy it and yes I would watch a 3rd series.