Making a Murderer

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

heisenberg
Known user

Making a Murderer

Post by heisenberg »

Anyone seen this series on Netflix?

Absolutely shocking look at a corrupt police judicial system in Wisconsin. Regardless of whether you think the documentary is biased or not (and many have highlighted it does perhaps portray its main subject too favourably), the appalling conduct of the powers-that-be has to be seen to be believed.
jack white
Known user

Re: Making a Murderer

Post by jack white »

Loved it.
Shocking stuff.

Did you do the jinx from last year?
gonna burn brightly
for a while
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I haven't seen the jinx? I'm guessing it is worth a punt. I'll look it up.

Upon finishing Making a Murderer, Netflix suggested a Josef Fritzl documentary. I have to be honest, I don't often watch crime or 'murder' documentaries, as part of me feels slightly voyeuristic watching them. I couldn't really watch those celebrity autopsy documentaries, for example. That's just me, I guess.

Making A Murderer- shocking to think all these corrupt people are out there right now, still free to do their jobs and have their liberty, still fully in the belief that they are protecting the rest of us and upholding the law.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

I couldn't sleep after certain episodes of this series. Overall it left me so angry.
its frightening to see how f*cked up the system truly is.

on the back of this one, this is well worth viewing for the similar reasons >

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117293
what happened next >
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2130321
scored by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Yes, ^ terrific films with echoes in the Avery case. I especially love the paradise lost trilogy. Really beautiful films.

The one thing that immediately made me connect the Memphis 3 case, aside from the unfairness & corruption of protocol, was the forced/coerced confession. History repeating itself.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Likewise I loved Making A Murderer.

Currently really into Serial - after finding the first 3 episodes of season 2 a bit flat, I found all the other supporting podcasts and web follow up material. The best podcast is Adnan's cousin's Undisclosed, plus there are two new interviews online via a site called the Intercept - with prosecutor Kevin Urick and the reluctant teller of tall tales Jay Wilds!

I got into this genre originally via Andrew Jarecki (The Jinx) Capturing The Friedmans. Then the Oscar winning documentary Murder on a Sunday Morning, then the more intriguing Death on the Staircase.

Making A Murderer really was shocking in places. However if you peel back the big lawsuit and related issues plus the dubious key (and not keys - which even the lawyers or filmmakers didn't notice) how else would you explain her remains and car ending up on his property?

Obviously the idiot nephew had nothing to do with it. That was one of the most shocking parts for me. As for the other evidence - I think it's awfully coincidental the police had this murder victim ready to plant just as Avery's lawsuit depositions were ending. However his lawyers made the excellent point that even with his limited intelligence - even Steven Avery would have had the nous to get rid of the remains in his smelter, and dispose of the car as he did in his work every day.

What really stuck out to me wasn't the planted key or blood, but the unexplained radio call with the victims number plate several days before the car was found on the Avery property. That cop looked so shady in the witness box when he was asked about how he couldn't explain his own suspicious actions.

If I lived in America, what would frighten me most is how easily some daft teenage lies caused Brendan to end up facing life without the possibility of parole, plus the stories from Avery's jury about their fear that a Not Guilty verdict would put them all at risk of the dodgy local cops, particularly given the information from the excused juror about the initial jury ballot.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

heisenberg wrote:I haven't seen the jinx? I'm guessing it is worth a punt. I'll look it up.
The Jinx is really worth it. Robert Durst is just such a compelling character. Unfortunately Andrew Jarecki isn't as good at making movies, but it's still worth watching All Good Things which was his fictionalized account of Durst and the disappearance of Kathie and the Galvaston trial.

That film caused Durst to contact Jarecki and thus The Jinx came about. Apparently Durst also did a DVD commentary, but I've not found that anywhere to stream, and All Good Things really is not worth buying on DVD!

Durst is still in the news. They've finally sorted most of the legal issues from his arrest in New Orleans, so he's expecting to move to California soon for the Susan Berman case. Once he's there and charged we'll find out more about the actual evidence they have against him.

I expected the authorities to draw out the New Orleans stuff for as long as possible. Since they seem not to have, we can only assume the LA prosecutor has some better evidence than just the old (and legally dubious) handwriting, plus the bathroom audio - which I can't imagine is admissible due to the tenuous and potentially inculpatory nature.

Also worth watching are the Paradise Lost trilogy (West Memphis 3) which has several elements in common with Making A Murderer. However the films are worth it just for the bonkers step-father of one victim - he's a highly entertaining slack-jawed yokel type southern redneck freak!

From the same directors - the movie Brother's Keeper is an interesting take on a Steven Avery type small town situation, but where the locals rallied round the accused instead.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle