Mindhunter

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

niamhm
Known user

Mindhunter

Post by niamhm »

Anybody watched this yet? Sat through the 10 episodes last weekend, David Fincher produced drama, set in late 70`s America about the early days of psychological profiling and serial killers, really enjoyed it, possibly the best thing I`ve seen on Netflix yet. Season 2 definitely green lighted, thoroughly recommended.
mojo filters
Known user

Re: Mindhunter

Post by mojo filters »

Really good. Love the high production values and the slow burn, TV that takes its time and deliberately delays gratification. I have a perverse preference for shows that alienate audience members with no fucking patience!

Furthermore it was such a compelling and effective account of the birth of the FBI Behavioural Analysis Unit, now so well documented on shows like Criminal Minds, Quantico et al.

It took me less than 48 hours to watch all ten episodes! Such a contrast from the usual profiling-related TV shows.

I watched Manhunt: Unabomber (which was better than expected), as the original creators are involved in other media projects I'm interested in - but the John Douglas show is just on another level!

Am also really looking forward to Season 2. They properly teased us with the (prospective) BTK character. However I think we have to wait until some time in 2019 for it, sadly...

Have you read any of John Douglas' books?

I'm keen to find one, but he's written / co-written at least 5 or 6 now, including a few with characters from that show (both with his partner and the real person behind the semi-composite psychologist character).

I'd love to know if there are any Australians involved, or if John Douglas character's name is just a coincidence, in that particular respect?

Netflix does seem to keep making these great TV series with such marvellous cinematic qualities. Hopefully we'll see some more real soon, but they should stick to the high quality over the quantity we inevitably see on network TV.

Did you watch American Vandal? Great satire on the burgeoning true crime media boom. However if you've never heard Serial et al, it's probably not as funny as it tries to be.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
jack white
Known user

Re: Mindhunter

Post by jack white »

mojo filters wrote: Did you watch American Vandal? Great satire on the burgeoning true crime media boom. However if you've never heard Serial et al, it's probably not as funny as it tries to be.
It’s always sunny.. did it first.
American Vandal is really well done. But yea a bit wearying.

Mindhunter was superb, particularly the 4 Fincher directed episodes. Wouldn’t have it in my top 5 shows of the year tho.

Watched Ozark. Hated it & upset that I wasted my time watching it all. This year has had many profound tv shows & great moments, but Ozark was most certainly a horrible, hackneyed, ill judged pastiche.
gonna burn brightly
for a while