The Spiritualized Book & Comic Club

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Re: The Spiritualized Book & Comic Club

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

I've revised the title of this thread to include Comics.

As a kid I was never that interested in comics but thanks to the good old iPhone and the comiXology app...I'm obsessed!

Currently reading mainly Image and Archaia publishings;

East of West
The Nightly News
The Manhattan Projects
The Secret History
The Killer
The Fuse
Wasteland

Anyone recommend anything else in the historical, political or post apocalyptic genre...?
Shoulders back, smash it
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Comics can also include Graphic Novels. I'm a huge fan of Crumb, Pekar, Spiegelman, Sacco etc.

I grew up with things like Mad Magazine but I also loved the darker Creepy and Eerie comics. Dark Horse (HQ'd here in Portland) have started reissuing all the old Creepy and Eerie comics as hardback books containing several volumes in one book. They have also put out volumes that focus specifically on the various "Creepy" & "Eerie" artists. For my birthday, last January, I was given three of these books each focusing on different artists:

Richard Corban
Bernie Wrightson
Steve Ditko

Superbly done and reading them again bring back so many memories as a kid!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I treated myself to another "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"; this is a later 1876 copy; I included a "close-up" of the Cheshire Cat (back cover) grinning and showing his teeth; and what nice detail; quite a bit of the gilding has worn, I like collecting these older, earlier editions of one of my favorite books.
Attachments
Front Cover of the 1876 Edition
Front Cover of the 1876 Edition
Alice in Wonderland 1876aa 001.jpg (49.66 KiB) Viewed 11991 times
Back Cover - a close-up of the Cheshire Cat
Back Cover - a close-up of the Cheshire Cat
Alice in Wonderland 1876reverse Cheshire Cat 001.jpg (57.95 KiB) Viewed 11991 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I was never one for "comic books"; but when I found copies of "RAW" magazine, more of a graphics type of "comic", I was impressed. One of my favorite issues has the somewhat cynical "RAW #3 The Graphics Magazine that Overestimates the Taste of The American Public". Wonderfully done, some with "mini-books" and strange and fun flexi-discs. Very Nice.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: The Spiritualized Book Club

Post by semisynthetic »

moop wrote:just finished reading Albert Hofmann's 'lsd: my problem child'
amazing stuff! (thanks to semisynthetic who i think recommended this) 8)
I'm glad you enjoyed it; he was a brilliant, modest man who enjoyed Chemistry and TALKING about a wide range of syntheses and "the latest thing". He also really liked to discuss his compound; or at least the one he is most famous for. He was of course, looking for something quite different; that whole family of compounds is an interesting one; Sandoz does (or did), have a compound FROM that family, sold as a Pharmaceutical to help with Memory. But the thing I remember most fondly was his love of life and LIVING IT; elaborate dinners and endless toasts, walks and quiet discussions; and a most Wonderful Laugh! A gentleman from the olde school who was at home with a very new generation. We went "Sneaking" down to the kitchen like kids to get some cake and milk; and his eyes twinkled like that any moment he was going to surprise you with goodness knows what. He enjoyed the attention in his latter years; for he saw that what he had found was something that could be Wonderful; and was sadly shunned by many in the community he had so long been a part of; there is a LOT of Politics in Science; and a lot of Psuedoscience in Politics.
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Picked up a copy of Mick Farren's "Give The Anarchist A Cigarette" for .50 cents! I needed a good book and I saw this at the perfect place, perfect price, perfect time!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have been reading Nick Kent's Apathy For The Devil. Each chapter is a year in the 70's in chronological order. Very hard to put down as one story is better than the previous one. Just about to head into 1974 and Can. This is also where NK is introduced to heroin. Pretty sure the book is about to take a much darker turn.
To those of you with a Fopp nearby this is part of the 2 for £5 sale.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I have been reading Nick Kent's Apathy For The Devil. Each chapter is a year in the 70's in chronological order.
I've got this too and reading Farren's book has reminded me a lot of how Kent writes (and Bangs). Both are top notch writers. I think I'll revisit it when I finish "Anarchist".
Guy Wysman
New user

Post by Guy Wysman »

redcloud wrote:Picked up a copy of Mick Farren's "Give The Anarchist A Cigarette" for .50 cents! I needed a good book and I saw this at the perfect place, perfect price, perfect time!
E-cigs are the reason why I'm not going to die smoking cigerettes. Use the right charger people! I don't want the govt. regulating this shit away from me because some f 'ing boneheads insist on charging their E-Cig while they drive.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Enjoying some spy thrillers of late

Le Carre - A Delicate Truth
Cumming - The Spanish Game

Can't wait to finish shift to pick up where Alec Milius is at in the latter novel listed above...
Shoulders back, smash it
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I have just finished reading Bob Stanley's 'Yeah, Yeah, Yeah'. Nicely written, and very funny in places, particularly when Bob gets ventilated about something (c.f. the claim that Oasis were more akin to Slade than The Beatles). In the end though, trying to cover the entire history of pop music means that the breadth of the topic necessitates a lack of depth or meaningful critique. I kind of ploughed my way through it with gritted teeth.
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

Given that this thread now incorporates comics I thought I'd recommend a comic I used to read years ago. It's Madman of Snap City. The artwork and dialogue is brilliant with Frank Einstein (Madman) being a real anti-hero.
Hey Jayne
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

More spy novels

Le Carre - Spy that came in from the cold
Cumming - Spy by nature

Something in the isolation of the lead characters appeals to me...
Shoulders back, smash it
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Julian Cope - One Three One

Anyone else had a read of this? Not as fucked up as I was expecting but highly entertaining. Must admit he lost me towards the end for a couple of chapters but then the following two brought it all back together again. It is quite bonkers and it did make me wonder just how much of it was autobiographical and/or based on people he knew ( :shock: )
It also created a hitherto unknown desire in me to go visit Sardinia!

Overall, i'd recommend it and i've a feeling it won't be too long before i give it another read. :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Picked up a copy of The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson for the princely sum of €1 today in a local charity shop. It's in superb condition too.
It's well over twenty years since I last had a copy and i've forgotten pretty much all of it, so will be interesting to see what i make of it now.
Curiously, the detective is named Saul Goodman :wink:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

BVCP206 wrote:Just watched Only Lovers Left Alive, interesting take on the vampire theme about a troubled reclusive musician who happens to be a vampire and his lover. A good story a lot of which is based in his studio which is full of old equipment and guitars etc. Certainly worth a look if only for that :D

One other member of the board may like to know that some of it is set in Detroit :D
Ooops wrong thread :oops:

Fixed that for ya... B :wink:
'Remember, change is not good'
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote:Picked up a copy of The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson for the princely sum of €1 today in a local charity shop. It's in superb condition too.
It's well over twenty years since I last had a copy and i've forgotten pretty much all of it, so will be interesting to see what i make of it now.
Curiously, the detective is named Saul Goodman :wink:
Really? So strange.

I bought this book years ago but I've never gotten past the first few chapters. One day...
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Last week i got a 2 for €5 deal on Neil Young's autobiography 'Waging Heavy Peace' and a Stone Roses biog 'War and Peace' by Simon Spence.

Anybody read them? It'll probably be the summer before i have a chance to get stuck into them so curious to hear anyone else's thoughts.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I have both and havent read either yet !!. I take a while with books and my pile of unread books is endless.
On the listening pile from last xmas still sits the history of 4AD, this xmas I got Steve Hanleys from the Fall's book and the new Krautrock book.
Too many great things to watch, listen to and read never mind gadding about watching football all over the place (as well as gigs) oh and I have a wife and several off spring in amongst all that !!
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I read one of my Christmas books last night.
It's called Discovering Scarfolk by Richard Littler.
I knew nothing about it so did a quick google before settling down. I read a couple of lines of a review which was very intriguing to the point where i abandoned the review and got straight into the book. I didn't want to spoil the discovery as those few lines of review promised an entertaining couple of hours.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discovering-Sca ... 0091958482

I wasn't disappointed.
If you are familiar with The Finishing Line or Apaches then you will love this hilarious take on 1970s British design and outlook. It will appeal to Wickerman & League of Gentlemen Fans.

Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

http://strangeattractor.co.uk/shoppe/jolly-lad/Recommending Jolly Lad by John Doran.

A redemptive memoir from a very cool UK music journalist aged about 44. So, there's some great stuff that i am sure will chime with many here. I know he is or has been a Spiritualized fan.
In fact there's a line n their that goes something along the lines of: "What's the difference between Jason Pierce and Shaun Ryder? A coiuple of tangerines and an avacado every day".

Early copies come with a CD of stuff (spoken word/electronics) which didn't much appeal to me on first listen but will be investigated further.

And the blurb from the link above....
Jolly Lad is about gentrification; being diagnosed bipolar; attending Alcoholics Anonymous; living in a block of flats on a housing estate in London; the psychological damage done by psychedelic drugs; depression; DJing; factory work; friendship; growing old; hallucinations; street violence and obsessive behaviour – especially regarding music
and art.
Heavy Tourism
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Just finished Rob Chapman's 'Psychedelia and Other Colours', not the definitive tome on psych (could this ever be done?) but a good overview of the original scene and trying to place it in context. In particular he covers the predecessors to 60s psychedelia (there's a history of light and sound shows going back a fair way, as well of course LSD itself and Ken Kesey etc) and the differences between US and UK psych (former is a mutated folk and blues, latter has a bit more music hall and all the Alice in Wonderland stuff).

one chapter really interested me though, and that was around the intersection between psych and soul/funk. this highlighted a fair few bands for me to investigate, it's another little rabbit hole to explore.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Just finished Steve Jones autobiography 'Lonely Boy' a brilliant read, brutally honest,funny & in parts moving.
He doesn't hold back on any topic, trust me :!:

Well worth a read especially now we have time on our hands!

Hope everybody keeping well.

Best to you all.
'Remember, change is not good'
neil_jung
Known user

Juliet, Naked

Post by neil_jung »

if you've not seen/read nick hornby's (high fidelity) book, Juliet, Naked, i think you'll enjoy it
Juliet, Naked is the story of Annie (the long-suffering girlfriend of Duncan) and her unlikely transatlantic romance with once revered, now faded, singer-songwriter, Tucker Crowe, who also happens to be the subject of Duncan's musical obsession.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1nNWXh ... l=ONEMedia
I’ve been visiting morgues and monasteries
Looking for the necessary body parts
Limbs and livers and brains and hearts
I want to bring someone to life - is what I want to do
I want to create my own version of you

dylan
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Bad Wisdom by Bill Drummond and Mark Manning (Zodiac Mindwarp).

Have wanted to read this for years but could never find an affordable copy online so had the brainwave to check the library database (been using this a lot since Christmas, reading loads :D ) and there it was. Major disappointment. Took me the first chapter to get used to the story alternating between the two writers, which is fair enough. The problem is Manning's writing resembles nothing more than the outpourings of a teenage lit. student wanker attempting to shock. Sure, he has a good turn of phrase and imaginative descriptors but it's so OTT and relentless that it never shocks, repulses or even raises a laugh. It's just incredibly tedious. Should have just left the whole thing to Drummond.
I won't be reading the sequel and i'll certainly be avoiding any of Manning's books.

I have been making my way through the books of John Niven that i don't already own. Now, there's a man that can write. I highly recommend his latest 'Oh Brother'; poignant, moving, grim and very funny. It's also his first non-fiction book.
Ammuniti0n Train
Known user

Post by Ammuniti0n Train »

sunray wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:10 pm Bad Wisdom by Bill Drummond and Mark Manning (Zodiac Mindwarp).

Have wanted to read this for years but could never find an affordable copy online so had the brainwave to check the library database (been using this a lot since Christmas, reading loads :D ) and there it was. Major disappointment. Took me the first chapter to get used to the story alternating between the two writers, which is fair enough. The problem is Manning's writing resembles nothing more than the outpourings of a teenage lit. student wanker attempting to shock. Sure, he has a good turn of phrase and imaginative descriptors but it's so OTT and relentless that it never shocks, repulses or even raises a laugh. It's just incredibly tedious. Should have just left the whole thing to Drummond.
I won't be reading the sequel and i'll certainly be avoiding any of Manning's books.

I have been making my way through the books of John Niven that i don't already own. Now, there's a man that can write. I highly recommend his latest 'Oh Brother'; poignant, moving, grim and very funny. It's also his first non-fiction book.
I have O Brother on order after reading John Niven's liner notes on a Butcher Boy album.
Only other writing of his that I've read was a short story in a fund raising book for victims of Grenfell Tower. Will look into his other books now .... cheers!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ammuniti0n Train wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:03 am
sunray wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:10 pm Bad Wisdom by Bill Drummond and Mark Manning (Zodiac Mindwarp).

I have O Brother on order after reading John Niven's liner notes on a Butcher Boy album.
Only other writing of his that I've read was a short story in a fund raising book for victims of Grenfell Tower. Will look into his other books now .... cheers!
I'd start with Kill Your Friends, The Second Coming and Kill 'Em All. The character Steven Stelfox is in all of them.
Ammuniti0n Train
Known user

Post by Ammuniti0n Train »

[/quote]
I'd start with Kill Your Friends, The Second Coming and Kill 'Em All. The character Steven Stelfox is in all of them.
[/quote]

Oh right, thank you .... May stroll down to the library if it ever stops b*stard raining