dead man movie

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

norrin radd
Known user

dead man movie

Post by norrin radd »

fantastic little known jim jarmusch movie (i guess a lot of his are !) with a host of greats - johnny depp, iggy pop, robert mitchum, to name a few, with an absolutely astounding soundtrack by neil young, quite possibly the only psychadelic post modern western ever put to film, great black and white cinematography - if you haven't seen it you need to check this one out !
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: dead man movie

Post by BzaInSpace »

Agreed - brilliant film.

For me the soundtrack might be one of Neil Young's best,
O P 8
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

A dark misty treat indeed

switched on channel 4 one evening, back in the nineties and this came on...never heard of it at the time. a classic in its own right.
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Great film. Portions of it were filmed on the Makah reservation on the Olympic Peninsula. I had the fortune of camping on the beach there back in August, 2000 during Makah Days. It is gorgeous.
Bill_Murray
New user

Post by Bill_Murray »

Have you ever seen Broken Flowers? It was by the same guy! It's the only film of his I have seen - was great though! :)
Andy Parker
Electric Banana
http://www.electric-banana.co.uk/
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

Neil Young's soundtrack brilliantly captured this film's images.
Jarmusch's "Night On Earth" and "Ghost Dog: The Way Of Samurai " are also good. For me, "Down By Law" is the best. Tom Waits+John Lurie+Roberto Benigni×cinematographer Robby Müller couldn't be better. "I scream! You scream! We all scream! For ice cream!"
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

yeah down by law is also amazing, fucking love that movie, the best ? thats like choosing between playing with fire and perfect prescription ! Down by law always cheers me up and shows you things can change when everything seems shit, all jarmusch's films are quality, has anyone seen his new one yet the limits of control ? and whilst i'm back on the dead man, doe's anyone have any theories as to what the tobacco metaphor is in it ? i'm guessing it's a symbol of blake's acceptance of death, or the symbolism of tabacco and the difference in what it means to the native indians and the stupid fucking white man " any other ideas ?
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Probably my favourite film. And Neil Young's score is unreal.

Someone mentioned it was shot in the Olympic peninsula, as in Washington state? That would make sense to me as the Native American style in the film is very similar to that of Native American tribes around British Columbia/Vancouver Island where I've spent some time.

The museum in Victoria, Vancouver Island has some unreal long houses and an opening to a log house like the opening jaws of the Thunder Bird as depicted in the film.

It has some fantastic dialogue...'Did you kill the man who killed you? I think so, am I dead?'...something like that. I try to limit it to one viewing a year so as not to get too used to it.

Anyone seen The Brave? Very grim film with Johnny Depp as a Native American down on his luck. Cameo by Marlon Brando with Iggy Pop doing an orchestral score.
citizensmurf
Known user

Post by citizensmurf »

Great movie. Saw it in the theatres when it came out, but I was already familiar with Jarmusch's other films. The soundtrack was great, and was a big inspiration for Dylan Carlson when he started up Earth again (Hex is pure western as opposed to country).

Jim's next film was "Year of the Horse" which I saw 3 times in the theatre, since at the time I missed seeing the Crazy Horse tour so I had to try and relive it. Simply amazing.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

norrin radd wrote:fantastic little known jim jarmusch movie (i guess a lot of his are !) with a host of greats - johnny depp, iggy pop, robert mitchum, to name a few, with an absolutely astounding soundtrack by neil young, quite possibly the only psychadelic post modern western ever put to film, great black and white cinematography - if you haven't seen it you need to check this one out !
i adore this film
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'