Words and Music - Paul Morley

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Words and Music - Paul Morley

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Picked this up today in Borders as it seemed an interesting read containing some fragment of idea that I sometimes have regarding similarities between varied forms of pop music and blah, blah, blah

After about a dozen pages of Kylie as Kylie but not as Kylie and various song title dropping I don't know if i have the strength.

Anyone read this and found it worthwhile. In theory it should be right up my street; the idiosyncratic assimilation of polar opposite music and such like or have I not got into it enough yet? I found the 3 page description of "Can't get you outta my head" was a plain narrative of the video and therefore nothing to do with the music. However I see the two go hand-in-hand. Hmm difficult

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Words and Music - Paul Morley

Post by runcible »

One of my claims to fame (or infamy) was that in about 1985 I was driving through Camden (I lived just by Chalk Farm tube station at the time) and Paul Morley stepped right in front of my car. If I hadn't done an emergency stop the book you refer to Stuart would not have been written as Mr. Morley would have been flattened, as would that nice looking lady from the group Propaganda who he was with at the time and eventually married.

He's got some talent but my God he wrote some shite in his time and I often wonder if my right foot did the right thing.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Re: Words and Music - Paul Morley

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Very good, mark. I'll remember your encounter with him as I read the book...slowly.

It was the same old for me in the book shop...looking for Edward Marriot' - Shark fishing In Nicaragua; knowing that it's OOP but just hoping and then multiple half-remembered book titles, authors and reviews leap into my head and ended up with something entirely different. Much like the music shopping.

Thankfully today I'm food shopping.

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it