Natty Brooker Art Show (Currated by Will Carruthers!)

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

Natty Brooker Art Show (Currated by Will Carruthers!)

Post by toomilk »

"Mentor", one-time spacemen 3 drummer, and artist Natty Brooker is going to have a series of showings of his work, currated by Will Carruthers, starting October 3 in LA at the Substrate Gallery and supposedly going on to London, NY, and Berlin.

His most famous works: LGM and Recurring album covers.

He will be selling individual signed and numbered prints starting at $200.

Blog post with some words by Carruthers here: http://mickieszoo.blogspot.com/2009/08/ ... in-us.html

Seems to be from an LA journalist's blog. Probably will appear in LA Weekly or something along those lines...
toomilk
Known user

Re: Natty Brooker Art Show (Currated by Will Carruthers!)

Post by toomilk »

So I actually came across this very late. haha. More information:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =504196044

The prints for sale: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40971377@N ... 796300948/ (including the Blue on Blue CD and inner sleeve artwork....for those of us that dished out the dough....)
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Will mentioned it on his Facebook page too.

Looking forward to the opening. Also wondering how I'm going to pay for a couple of prints.
susanvonseggern
New user

Post by susanvonseggern »

Hey all, we had a miscommunication in announcing the show date! The opening is actually on the 10th of October not the 3rd. Here is the updated info:

For Immediate Release:

Spacemen3’s Natty Brooker Debuts Print Show at Substrate Gallery October 10th

Los Angeles, CA – August 26, 2009 - British artist Natty Brooker, best known for his collaboration with legendary UK bands Spacemen3 and Spiritualized is debuting his life’s work in the United States in October 2009 at Substrate Gallery, Los Angeles.

This run is the first in a series of shows in art capitals around the world, including New York, London and Berlin, where Brooker’s work will be seen as a whole for the first time.

Curated by friend and former band-mate Will Carruthers, the show is the culmination of a lifetime’s work for Brooker. “Natty is a genius, pure and simple. His influence as an artist on the British music scene was far reaching. What many people don’t know is that Natty now has terminal cancer, so this will be the first and last time people will have the opportunity to see his amazing work as a collection.”

Brooker was responsible for much of the Spacemen3/Spiritualized aesthetic. He introduced founding members Pete Kember and Jason Pierce (aka J.Spaceman and Sonic Boom) to blues and gospel; played drums on the first Spacemen3 album Sound of Confusion; and also appeared on the classic demos release Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To.
It was Natty's iconic Devil and Angel design that adorned the first Spiritualized album cover Lazer Guided Melodies and it was his endlessly recurring threes that graced the last Spacemen3 album Recurring.

Putting the show together has been a labor of love for Brooker and Carruthers, having spent months collecting the original art work from around Europe. “Natty had a tendency to give his work away once finished. We’ve spent the last 6 months tracking down his friends and asking for the work back so that we could get it scanned and make it available to other people.”
Often Brooker painted on wooden boards, plastic sheets, and other discarded objects with whatever was at hand; in biro, felt tip or leftover emulsion paint. Between the scavenged materials and extreme subject matter, Brooker’s work is peculiar, unsettling, humorous - and always tipping a wink to mortality.

“Spacemen3’s music was once described as ‘music to blow your mind inside out’” says Carruthers, “and that’s exactly how Natty would describe his art now. It’s a rare pleasure to be able to show the public Natty’s life’s work, particularly at this time.”
# # #

The LA opening will take place at Substrate Gallery, 709 Ridgewood Place, Los Angeles, California 90039, on the evening of October 10th 2009. Los Angeles’ shoegaze band THE MEEK will be spinning a DJ set of the genre’s classics. Prints of all the works are available as a signed and numbered set of 14 for $1600. Individual signed and numbered prints are available starting at $200.

Natty Brooker is available for phone interviews for media. Will Carruthers will be on hand at the opening and is available for media interviews in advance or during his stay in Los Angeles.

For more information please contact Susan von Seggern on susan@susanvonseggern.com.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

saw this via facebook:

"Sat 17th July 2010 @ Smart Art Galleries, Sheffield, UK:
Will Carruthers presents: Natty Brooker - The Art Of Spiritualized & Spacemen 3.
More details to follow."
outlier
Known user

Post by outlier »

http://www.nme.com/news/spacemen-3/51538

Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized collaborator Natty Brooker has announced a new exhibition of works spanning his entire career.

The artist, who is credited with introducing Spacemen 3 founding members Pete Kember and Jason Pierce (aka Sonic Boom and Jason Spaceman) to blues and gospel and also played drums on the band's debut album 'Sound Of Confusion', will hold two exhibitions in London and Sheffield.

Carruthers and Kember are confirmed to appear at the London exhibition, which will have live music and DJ sets, along with a number of other former members. Although Pierce lives nearby, an appearance by him has not been confirmed yet.

Natty Brooker's exhibition will take place at:

London, Hoxton Square Bar & Kitchen, 8pm–1am (July 15)
Sheffield, Smart Art Galleries, 8pm-1am (17)

See Willcarruthers.blogspot.com for more information.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................

Seems like these next 2 exhibitions promise to be something quite special -
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Anyone going to Sheffield? I'm working out if I can - be a shame to miss it.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Anyone going to London show on Thurs? I'm working- but trying to get out of it...
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm hoping to come up from Brighton after work for it. Bit worried about what time I'll be able to get there and the chances of getting in as its not ticketed.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Ads wrote:I'm hoping to come up from Brighton after work for it. Bit worried about what time I'll be able to get there and the chances of getting in as its not ticketed.

Hmmm- I hope entry isn't an issue because there's no way I can make it there early enough for door opening time. But I think that it's on for quite a few hours and expect people will drop in gradually during the night. That's what I'm presuming anyway...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Maybe see you there then?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

I'm expecting to go to London, and will probably be unfashionably early... Come and say hi - white shirt, black jeans, beard, glasses, one Sweet Tooth badge, one Out Campaign badge... [Ads - a lift back to Brighton will be available.]
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Good to see a man who knows exactly what he'll be wearing the next day! Yeah, will definitely say hi if I see you Ian. Will have a return train ticket but the lift home offer is very kind (and I may even still take you up on it).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Ads wrote:Maybe see you there then?
I'll probably make it there around 10pm, but it's doubtful I can stay very long- will have to go back to studio to work after. Ugh

Did you get on the 'reserve' list? It's for people who are keen to get in...
If you haven't- then go to Will Carruther's FB page and leave a comment on tonight's event page;

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?ei ... 571&ref=mf

PS
I have no idea what I'll wear! Leaning towards the black and white combo...but who knows!
Hopefully see you all there.
:D
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yep, managed to get on the reserved list so I can stop panicing over this now. Prob going to be there from 8.30ish depending on trains. I'll be the handsome chap in the Wooden Shjips t-shirt. Look forward to meeting some of you there.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone