Natty Brooker Art Exhibition / Spacemen 3 / Glasgow

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

stdeluxe
Known user

Natty Brooker Art Exhibition / Spacemen 3 / Glasgow

Post by stdeluxe »

Spacemen3’s Natty Brooker Debuts Print Show at Mono Sunday Jan 17th 2010

British artist Natty Brooker, best known for his collaboration with legendary bands Spacemen3 and Spiritualized, is debuting his life’s work in Glasgow’s Art/Music space Mono.

The launch party for this exhibit is being hosted by up and coming Glasgow noise-pop/indie rock band St Deluxe, who will be paying homage to the works of Spacemen3. St Deluxe will also be joined on stage by Stuart Braithwaite (Mogwai) as part of a special one off collaboration for the launch. There will also be 2 special Dj set’s from Will Carruthers (Spacemen3, Brian Jonestown Massacre) and Joe Foster (solo artist, producer, and founder of Rev-ola records and PoppyDisc Records).

This show is part of a series of shows in art capitals around the world, including New York, London and Berlin, where Brooker’s work will be seen as a whole for the first time in 20 years.

Curated by friend and former bandmate Will Carruthers, the show is the culmination of a lifetime’s work for Brooker. “Natty is a genius, pure and simple. His influence as an artist on the British music scene was far reaching. What many people don’t know is that Natty now has terminal cancer, so this will be the first and last time people will have the opportunity to buy his stuff.”

Brooker was responsible for much of the Spacemen3/Spiritualized aesthetic. He introduced founding members Pete Kember and Jason Pierce (aka Sonic Boom and J.Spaceman) to blues and gospel, played drums on the first Spacemen3 album Sound of Confusion, and also appeared on the classic demos release Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To.

It was Natty's iconic Devil and Angel design that adorned the first Spiritualized album cover Laser Guided Melodies, and it was his endlessly recurring threes that graced the last Spacemen3 album Recurring.

Putting the show together has been a labour of love for Brooker and Carruthers, having spent months collecting the original art work from around Europe. “Natty had a tendency to give his work away once finished. We’ve spent the last 6 months tracking down fans and asking for the work back so that we can tour with it”.

Often Brooker painted on wooden boards, plastic sheets, and other discarded objects with whatever was at hand; in biro, felt tip or leftover emulsion paint. Between the scavenged materials and extreme subject matter Brooker’s work is peculiar, unsettling, humorous - and always tipping a wink to mortality.

“Spacemen3’s music was once described as ‘music to blow your mind inside out’” says Carruthers, “and that’s exactly how Natty would describe his art now. It’s a rare pleasure to be able to show the public Natty’s life’s work, particularly at a time when it’s so precious.”

# # ## # ## # ## # ## # ## # ## # ## # ## # ## # ## # ##

The Glasgow opening will take place on the evening of January 17th 2010. Prints of all the works are available as a signed and numbered set of 14 for 1200 pounds. Individual signed and numbered prints are available starting at 150 pounds

Will Carruthers will be guesting on the evening and is available for interview.

For more info visit http://willcarruthers.blogspot.com/

Face Book Event below, let us know if you're going to come along

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... 580&ref=mf
Laz69
Known user

Re: Natty Brooker Art Exhibition / Spacemen 3 / Glasgow

Post by Laz69 »

just back from this... great show... Will an absolute delight as usual!

St Deluxe played Losing Touch With My Mind, Spectrum's How You Satisfy Me and finished with Revolution... great set and certainly one for fans... great to speak with you Martin and Stuart!

Stuart Braithwaite played Lord Can You Hear Me and Walkin With Jesus, a Mogwai song and another which i never caught the nbame of which were great too

Think i'll be stumping up fpr the Recurring print once my redundancy comes thru... beautiful when seen in the flesh.

Pissed and stoned... great night with great company!

Bed...

J
stdeluxe
Known user

Post by stdeluxe »

Hey Laz..
Glad you enjoyed it!
twas a great night..
Martin.
neonroadrunner
New user

Post by neonroadrunner »

Anyone know when the exhibition might come to London?
henryapplecore
Known user

Post by henryapplecore »

Spoke to Will last week and it'll be fairly soon.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

My new piece of art arrived yesterday :D 8) :D 8)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nqe2M3msRnM/S ... poster.jpg

Beautiful. Will be searching for a nice frame today... :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

8) 8) 8)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Christ James - were you tripping when you took that piccie?

:shock:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

cheap camera phone... what more do you expect??!?!

i think it adds to the pic! :D