All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Completely blew my mind. Like taking part in someone elses dream. Incredible total immersive cinema...fantastic.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
Prince Bishop
Known user

Re: AVATAR 3d @ THE IMAX LONDON...

Post by Prince Bishop »

Yeah I saw this at the newly opened IMAX in the metro centre newcastle. Completely new experience for me, I'd seen a couple of things in 3D and found it to be a bit of a gimmick and felt like it took something away from the film. This was completely the opposite. I think if I'd seen this film in 2D on a normal screen I would have only thought it to be average. Instead I came out feeling physically and emotionally drained. It was fantastic :D
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

lol that's exactly how I felt. I was knackered when the film finished, it was like I had participated in it. I can't be more positive about this film or the technology behind it, it really is like nothing you've seen before. And yes you are right it is nothing like everyones previous 3d experience, it really is something completely new.
I'm pleased there is an Imax in Newcastle, my home turf.
Prince Bishop
Known user

Post by Prince Bishop »

Yeah it's just opened, presumably to co-inside with Avatar's release. They knocked down metroland* for it! I only went because my mate went to the one in Bradford and he's been banging on about how good it was for about a year. Turns out he was right - I'd recommend it to anyone.

However, I was wondering if anyone who wears glasses has been to one? I told my parents they should go but they both wear glasses and I've had a look on the net and it says you should be ok to wear them underneath the IMAX ones. But I didn't feel the IMAX ones were particularly comfortable anyway, and I'd think wearing glasses underneath could be a bit distracting. Just wondered if anyone had tried it?

*metroland was an indoor theme park, located in a shopping centre. I say theme park, it was more like a fairground. It had one very small rollercoaster and some tea cups rides, and a pirate ship. Having said that, it was class when you were about 7.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

[quote="Prince Bishop"]
However, I was wondering if anyone who wears glasses has been to one? I told my parents they should go but they both wear glasses and I've had a look on the net and it says you should be ok to wear them underneath the IMAX ones. But I didn't feel the IMAX ones were particularly comfortable anyway, and I'd think wearing glasses underneath could be a bit distracting. Just wondered if anyone had tried it?

I wear glasses and find those 3D specs fit comfortably over my own. Hardly even notice I have 2 pairs on during the film so your parentals should be fine.

That film is a cinema experience not to be missed.
Prince Bishop
Known user

Post by Prince Bishop »

Excellent, I shall let them know, my dad was particularly keen to see it after I told him how good it was
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

great movie. also saw in imax 3d
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Didn't see it on IMAX screen nor in London but I did see it in 3-D and was amazed at its brilliance. One of the best bits of computer graphic imagery wasn't the luminescent landscape or the natives but instead was the cinema trickery that created the muscle weakened, emaciated crippled legs of the main actor. Brilliant.

This will definitely be the next big franchise film. I read that Cameron plans to go to the various other moons shown in the film.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Saw this a few weeks ago, in 3D but not at an IMAX. The visuals were great but the film was way, way too long and could have done with about an hour chopped off of it. Really wasn't blown away with it at all. In fact enjoyed the trip to the Harvester after more than the film!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

IMAX man, makes all the difference lol
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Not sure that it would change my view of the actual film itself. Yes is looks good, but the whole cod-eco/tree of life storyline is pretty lame. Now, if he was to do Aliens in 3D, that actually might be worth seeing.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Thats really interested Ads. Your the first person Ive heard of who doesn't rate the film highly. I wouldn't mind seeing it but the hype surrounding it really, really annoys me. I mean seriously, its like James Cameron's discovered a cure for a terminal illness or something! I remember seeing the trailer for it when I went to watch UP in 3D (which by the way was really good fun) and thinking "this looks really bad". Like you say, the whole cod-eco/tree of life storyline just seems a bit, well crap really.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I might not have thought it was brilliant but a certain Mr George "Star Wars" Lucas was impressed enough to tell Access Hollywood this:-

"I liked it," Lucas said, in reference to James Cameron's megalith. "I'm happy it's so successful, and worked very well in 3D. Haven't been a big fan of 3D, but that movie definitely improves in the field of 3D.

"We've been looking for years and years and years of trying to take Star Wars and put it in 3D," he added. "But the technology hasn't been there. We've been struggling with it, but I think this will be a new impetus to make that happen."

Interesting, but I bet if he does go with it he'll start with all those shitty prequels first.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Star Wars is dead to me. He killed it.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, but just think of Empire Strikes Back in 3D. Battle on Hoth, escape through the asteroid field, Vader and Luke going mental with their light sabres. Could be good.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

I refuse to get excited about anything SW related ever again.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Im with you on that score.

Three words.

Jar Jar Binks.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

simonkeeping wrote:Im with you on that score.

Three words.

Jar Jar Binks.

Jar Jar created a whole new marketing and generation platform for Lucas.
It was smart but It destroyed our vision on the first 3.

Mark
Design.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Agreed on that score mate!

Right, down to business, I went to see this at the weekend and apart from the effects which were amazing I thought the actual plot was pretty poor. The clunking great eco message was just so over the top. Its was like a man trying to carry a ladder on a bike, Somethings got to give. I thought the visual referencing of 9/11 when the tree fell was pretty over the top, I could almost feel the lying undertones on that idea - trees fall everyday but when a building falls we all weep etc etc. I dunno, maybe Im over analysing it but I just expected a better constructed story to match the amazing visuals. I was thinking when I was watching it what people will think in 30 years time of the visuals? Will 3D get much better? I guess there has to be a point past which theres not going to be alot of advancement?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I watched this movie last week. i wasted valuable time. it was terrible and spending over 100 million on a movie like this should be outlawed. glad i did not pay a cent.

FUCKING TERRIBLE!

M
Design.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

MODLAB wrote:I watched this movie last week. i wasted valuable time. it was terrible and spending over 100 million on a movie like this should be outlawed. glad i did not pay a cent.

FUCKING TERRIBLE!

M
ah now cmon...it wasnt that bad. the cost, yes, but the 3D experience (even if it did get a little sore on the eyes after an hour or so) was worth it.
you knew going in you were to leave your brain outside in a jar.

viewed kick ass last night.
fuck yeah :D