The Wire vs Sopranos (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shinesalight
Known user

The Wire vs Sopranos (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Post by Shinesalight »

So, last year I watched all five seasons of the Wire on box set and was really upset when it finally came to an end. I felt there'd be a massive hole in my life as I don't watch much TV to be honest. Then, a friend bought me season 1 of the Sopranos for Christmas and I've since bought the 6 season box set (half price in the HMV January sale!) and I've been ploughing through them ever since. I'm now half way through season 5 and I'm already starting to research for my next box set (Mad Men, Battlestar Galactica, Eastbound and Down?).

Without giving any plot lines away for any of those that have yet to indulge themselves in these 2 magnificent shows, I was wondering what the board thought of them. I'm certainly finding Sopranos an easier ride than the Wire and I've certainly raced through the seasons, but I think overall, The Wire just edges it in my opion. The Guardain recently did an article on the 50 best TV serialisations and their critics placed Sopranos at number 1 with Brideshead Revisited coming in at 2 and The Wire right down in 14th, though I've never know one paper to big up the Wire as much as the Guardian has over the last few years (here's a link to their list:- http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... ion-dramas)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Re: The Wire vs Sopranos (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Post by toomilk »

I haven't watched The Sopranos, but when I watched the first episode of The Wire, I fell asleep. It gives no background into the story. Things unfold and you have to pick up the pieces as fast as you can. A month or so after I had written the show off, I watched the second episode...then the third...then the fourth....etc etc in one sitting. It's takes a while to get used to, but once you've prepared yourself for it (fast dialog steeped in jargon) it's one of the better shows out there.

Although it isn't too related to The Sopranos or The Wire, I find Mad Men extremely entertaining. They do a very nice job of situating you in the early 60s and the racial/sexual/social norms that existed in it. Eastbound and Down is also VERY different, but hilarious in an over the top kind of way. The first season only has about 6 episodes, so I would either rent it or wait for the second season which should be starting up anytime soon.

Just a few days ago, I opened up my Band of Brothers box that I got from my now defunct record shop. It's an incredible show. Lots of history and research tied into it, and the characters are all real people who they either interviewed or were told about from the people who served with them. There's a companion kind of show, The Pacific, that is premiering today on HBO. It looks like it's going to be great.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Oh, and I was just reminded from looking at that list, but Queer as Folk (#13) is probably my favorite show ever. Incredible plot lines and probably the best characters (written and acted) ever. Also up there is Six Feet Under, which is a classic.

I don't know how I feel about The Guardian putting Mad Men at #4 on the list. It's the newest of the series in the top 50 (of all time) and its third season just finished. It's too risky to put a show on an all-time list when it's still going.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I love the Sopranos (I’m watching it now) and I've got the Complete Series Box Set.

The writing has been consistent throughout the whole six series although got a little bit stale around series 4 IMO, series 2, 5 & 6 are my favourite. I love the surreal quality of some of the episodes and the way I empathise with some of the characters even though there are few redeeming traits in most of them.

It is beautifully shot and soundtracked too, they used Tiny Tears by Tindersticks when Tony was at his lowest and also about to be assassinated and great tracks by The Rolling Stones (Thru & thru), Otis Redding (My Lover‘s Prayer), Johnny Thunders (You can‘t put your arms around a memory), The Doors (When the music's over), Frank Sinatra (It was a very good year, Baubles, Bangles and Beads), The Aphex Twin (Blur), Tim Buckley (Dolphins) and even John Cooper Clarke (Chicken Town).

I remember seeing James Gandolfini walking through Seven Dials a couple of years back and I stopped in my tracks, I think he had gotten used to people reacting that way and I even got a grin from the man!

The Wire I have never seen although I keep meaning to rent a copy, will probably get to see it over Easter when I should be decorating my new place.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Mad Men is my favourite at the moment. I loved The Wire and was left disappointed also as were many
die-hard fans. The Sopranos is great! Ads i'll PM you a nice little story from my youth (Very Sopranos).

M
Design.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

nickh wrote: I remember seeing James Gandolfini walking through Seven Dials a couple of years back and I stopped in my tracks, I think he had gotten used to people reacting that way and I even got a grin from the man!
Brilliant!

I love both those shows, was on a real Wire-box-frenzy thing last year and I too was sad when it finished. It really gets inside you. It really pays to stick with it...I think it took a few episodes before I really began to enjoy it.

"Omar comin'!"

Sopranos - fucking amazing. Box set for xmas so only recently finished watching it, all the way through. Just classic. After all those years of hearing about it, i'm truly a believer!

"The gravy's good tonight..."
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Loved the Sopranos. Never watched one episode of The Wire though I know some swear by that.
Mad Men? I bought the 1st season box set. I barely got through episode one. I do agree the 60's aesthetic is incredibly well done. I just couldn't get into the characters. I still have it so I haven't given up.
My favorite show is Weeds. Great writing, hilarious and Mary Louise Parker is very easy on the eyes.
Also a shout out to Shameless. I love that show as well. Thank you Sundance Channel.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

Being from Baltimore (where The Wire was based/filmed) i love that show. even though it makes the city look like a war zone.

well, actually, it kind of is. it seems like stuff here gets worse and worse ever week. but i still love it !!!

just remember that its a show, that has a very strong basis in reality...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Toomilk - great shout with Eastbound & Down!! I watched the first season on the FX channel and thought it was hilarious and also quite sad. So many quotable moments. Can't wait for season 2.

I watched The Sopranos from day one on TV. Such a fantastic show, one of the best in fact. On my honeymoon we went to New York and paid to go on a Sopranos tour in New Jersey. Drove around in a coach visiting all the sites, stopped off at various locations and places of interest, met the guy who plays Vito in a diner where he was signing pics and what not. He only let you take a picture of him if you bought some merchandise. Fuck dat! I watched it all over again when it was all repeated on the lead up to the final season on More 4. Wonderful series.

I'm currently on season 5 of the Wire. It was shown back to back on BBC2 last year or the year before but I never got into it after watching just the first episode. It struck me as quite dull and hard to get into. After being told I'd love it by too many good friends I borrowed season 1 & 2 on dvd and quickly became addicted to it. There's so many great characters in it, like Omar, Lester, Bubbles, Clay Davis (sheeeeeeeeeeee-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!), Stringer Bell. Not sure what I'll do once season 5 is done with.

I'd say I prefer The Sopranos overall.

Deadwood is a firm favourite for me. Such a shame it ended abruptly after just the 3 seasons. Full of filth and depravity and very real looking sets. Mr Woo the Chinaman whose only English is 'cocksucker' and 'swear'gen' and feeds the murdered to his pigs for cash is genius, as is the character Al Swearengen. If you've never seen it then watch it immediately. It really clicks after a second viewing as the language and the way people go about talking on the first watch is pretty tough to get into, almost Shakespearean but with more swearing.....a lot more swearing! Why it wasn't included in that Guardian best of list is a mystery.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

-The Wire - awesome, was very sad when I'd watched em all
-The Corner- by the same writers as The Wire, grim but good watching
-Generation Kill- Was ok, I guess its my utter hatred of the military that prejudiced me against it a bit though
-Sopranos- Enjoyed it as much as the Wire
-Weeds- Love it
-Its always sunny in Philadelphia - love it
-Lonesome Dove- First story rocked, second story they changed all the actors, not so cool
-The Office (US)- Love it, thought I'd hate it but now much prefer it over the UK version
-The Modern Family- V funny
-The Goode Family- V funny especially as it targets middle class green/environment fools
-CSI- Just got in to it, although it is more or less the same episode every time lol
-Arrested Development- Very well written + very funny
-Deadwood- Thought I'd hate it, but loved it
-Damages- Got into it through my girlfriend, worth watching if only to gasp at Glenn Close and her v bad cosmetic surgery, Lilly Tomlin's is even worse, got Gabriel Burns daughter in it, she was in Sunshine as well.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just finished Season 5 of the Sopranos.....wow! Thats probably the best so far. Won't go into specifics so as not to ruin it for anyone yet to see it, but it really is a good one. Can't believe I'm now on the last season.

As for other series that have been talked about on this thread, I must admit I've always had a soft spot for Band of Brothers and am well looking forward to getting Pacific once it comes out on DVD as I don't have Sky or cable (and I know there's already a seperate thread set up for this). I've watched BOB all the way through 3 times now and I still get really emotional when the talking heads reveal themselves at the end. I think BOB is the perfect example of how far a mini-series can go compared to the restrictions of a film.

Think the next box-set is going to be Mad Men after all the amazing reviews its been getting and how much my mates have enjoyed it.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Ads like I said before Mad Men is by far the best things I have seen in years.

M
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Don`t know if anyones watched the first series which was pretty good ,but the new series of Sons Of Anarchy starts tonight on Bravo, i def. got it on Sky Plus series link.
Life is a Problem
New user

Post by Life is a Problem »

The Wire is the modern masterpiece - it plays like some vast complex Russian novel. (I mean that in a good way)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

they're both incredible & for different reasons.

i much prefer the sopranos.

my fave tv shows in some kinda order:
the sopranos
larry sanders
sein
the wire
curb
deadwood
twin peaks
freaks & geeks
gonna burn brightly
for a while
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I'm really loving Spartacus: Blood & Sand on Bravo TV at the moment. It's ridiculous, has some bad CGI going on, lot's of fake blood like in 300, severed heads and limbs, filthy language, catchphrases like 'Jupiters Cock', a hell of a lot of sex, splendid looking boobs all over the place, some bad acting and silly dialogue, muscle bound men for the ladies (and some men) to drool over. Brilliant TV in fact. Anyone else watching it? It's pretty funny watching the Scottish actor John Hannah playing the head of a Gladiator house, getting his end away with the servants whilst chatting to his wife sitting next to him as they make yet more dastardly plans.

http://www.tv.com/spartacus-blood-and-s ... mmary.html
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Breaking Bad. All of you must watch Breaking Bad. Best thing I've seen in ages. Completely took me by surprise. It's one of those shows that regularly leaves you mouth agape going "What.The.Fuck?". Season 3 finished very recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Bad
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Bought my friend the DVD of the first season of Breaking Bad and still waiting to borrow it off of him. Will push him for it after your high praise for it Olliemoor.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Jimmy McNulty is a f8ck`n bad ass good guy!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I have to say Johnny, Spartacus sounds awesome!

All TV should be like that - or at least all the soaps.

Phil Mitchell's burgeoning crack addiction is small fry compared to that!!
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote:I have to say Johnny, Spartacus sounds awesome!

All TV should be like that - or at least all the soaps.

Phil Mitchell's burgeoning crack addiction is small fry compared to that!!
Awesome it is sir! Last episode tonight is called 'Kill Them All'............I wonder what's going to happen in that one, hmmm. Blood, boobs and more filthy talk no doubt. Luckily my wife loves it as much as me, if not more, and I'm pretty sure she'll be bying the dvd when it comes out next month.

Phil Mitchell on crack is pretty much the same as Phil Mitchell on booze isn't it, except he's taken to wearing a black beanie hat with his collars turned up. I want to see him chomping at the bit with the 'give me more crack' twitches, haha. I could act it out better than him. I'm still puzzled as to how their last rock ended up inside the lining underneath the sofa last week. Eastenders never does drug stories too well but I s'pose at 7.30pm in the evening they can't get too down and dirty with it. Remember Dot having some herbals in her tea? Or the girl, now in My Family, doing an E way back and trippy her bonce off, or Mark Fowler dosing up Nick Cotton with a trip and whispering dark words into his ear to make him go all bonkers. Pretty sure they've covered quite a few drugs on there over the years. Yep, I watch too much shit......

Dexter series 4 starts in the UK this week. I love a bit of Dexter.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

It was good to see that it took crack for Phil Mitchell to finally show his appreciation for The Who on screen. I'm thoroughly enjoying the storyline for its general ridiculousness - get Peggy on acid next.
jeanlerye
New user

Post by jeanlerye »

toomilk wrote: Although it isn't too related to The Sopranos or The Wire, I find Mad Men extremely entertaining. They do a very nice job of situating you in the early 60s and the racial/sexual/social norms that existed in it. Eastbound and Down is also VERY different, but hilarious in an over the top kind of way. The first season only has about 6 episodes, so I would either rent it or wait for the second season which should be starting up anytime soon.

I definitely founded the show Eastbound and Down very different, too. It has the variety that makes the people who watch this comedy show, satisfied in which they are indeed fond of entertainment. The first season was really worth it, insisting the 6 episodes, that's why there's a reason to wait for the next season of the show.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

jeanlerye wrote:
toomilk wrote: Although it isn't too related to The Sopranos or The Wire, I find Mad Men extremely entertaining. They do a very nice job of situating you in the early 60s and the racial/sexual/social norms that existed in it. Eastbound and Down is also VERY different, but hilarious in an over the top kind of way. The first season only has about 6 episodes, so I would either rent it or wait for the second season which should be starting up anytime soon.

I definitely founded the show Eastbound and Down very different, too. It has the variety that makes the people who watch this comedy show, satisfied in which they are indeed fond of entertainment. The first season was really worth it, insisting the 6 episodes, that's why there's a reason to wait for the next season of the show.
The episode where Kenny takes an E, goes to the school disco, arrives on the dance floor in slo-mo, does a hilarious dance, then pukes is grade A comedy gold. In his head everyone is in awe of him, in reality they're thinking WTF is he doing!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

The Sopranos & The Wire are both phenomenal series. I'm really into In Treatment as well but you have to have the right mind set for it. Eastbound & Down is great too, really funny shit. Wayne Kramer does a great job with the music.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

johnnyboy wrote:
Dexter series 4 starts in the UK this week. I love a bit of Dexter.
season four rocks! John Lithgow!

Spartacus is quite an improvement on Xena and Hercules (made by the same us/nz people I think)
I must be getting old because I still think Lucy Lawless is hot.. perhaps even more now that she has a few wrinkles.

Would it be ok for a male approaching forty and married with kid to get a Xena poster? ..perhaps I should go with Lithgow instead?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Since moving in with my girlfriend a couple of months ago I have tried to get her to sit down and watch either the Sopranos or The Wire but she's not found either easy to get into. On the plus side though, she has introduced me to the West Wing which I think is definitely up there with best that television drama has to offer.
johnnyboy wrote:I'm really loving Spartacus: Blood & Sand on Bravo TV at the moment. It's ridiculous, has some bad CGI going on, lot's of fake blood like in 300, severed heads and limbs, filthy language, catchphrases like 'Jupiters Cock', a hell of a lot of sex, splendid looking boobs all over the place, some bad acting and silly dialogue, muscle bound men for the ladies (and some men) to drool over. Brilliant TV in fact. Anyone else watching it? It's pretty funny watching the Scottish actor John Hannah playing the head of a Gladiator house, getting his end away with the servants whilst chatting to his wife sitting next to him as they make yet more dastardly plans.

http://www.tv.com/spartacus-blood-and-s ... mmary.html
My cousin's husband lent us this but we found the first episode totally cringeworthy, terribly acted and just very laughable. Is it really worth sticking with. Don't think its going to stand up against the West Wing really.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone