Shakey: Neil Young's Biography by Jimmy McDonough

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Shakey: Neil Young's Biography by Jimmy McDonough

Post by BzaInSpace »

...as mentioned in the 'What Are You Listening To?' thread I'm on a binge of Neil Young music this week, partly as I hadn't spent any time with it for ages, and as at the weekend I read several pieces of the above book again.

What can I say - I think it's the best book ever written about a musician or artist. I've read it all the way through at least twice over the years since I came out and I keep going back to it to re-read chapters.

It's fascinating and very inspiring. There is also some great dry humour from NY himself and I think McDonough's writing is excellent. The tales regarding NY himself, his life/family, his mind over matter, how he struck fear into everyone when they first met him :shock:

Some great appearances from David Briggs, Elliot Roberts, Jack Nitzsche and Crosby and Stills. The story on how NY sacked Roberts as Buffalo Springfield's manager just so he could manage NY as a sole artist is fantastic! Also those tales on how NY would just basically fuck off in the night when he wasn't feeling the Stills Band/CSNY tours... :lol:

It also appears to have been a heavy labour of love, written over a ten year (plus) period, and at one point it was gonna be official I think. But NY kept changing his mind. There's a really touching moment when David Briggs urges him to finish the book just prior to his death.

Anyway, it's a massive volume so there's so much more to it. Best thing about it of course is that it immediately makes you want to play his records, which is just the greatest thing.

Anybody else read it or care to comment? Goes without saying I highly recommend it....despite the Noel Gallagher blurb on the cover...!
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Shakey: Neil Young's Biography by Jimmy McDonough

Post by TheWarmth »

I read this years ago when it came out and loved it. It's a well-written, but a quick and easy read despite its length.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I fully agree. It's thoroughly researched, well written and not sycophantic(?). For anyone who likes NY's music it's a must.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Fantastic book