Julian Cope's Non-fiction

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

Julian Cope's Non-fiction

Post by toomilk »

Krautrocksampler (1995), The Modern Antiquarian (1998), The Megalithic European (2004) and Japrocksampler (2007).

Has anyone read any of these? Are they any good? Would you recommend one in particular?

Thankssss
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Julian Cope's Non-fiction

Post by BzaInSpace »

toomilk wrote: The Modern Antiquarian (1998), The Megalithic European (2004)
These are both fantastic books and I highly recommend...

Not really a big fan of Cope's usual OTT style but these books are very well written and engaging and his fascination with the megalithic sites described within is palpable.

If you like reading about stuff that challenges the 'established' ancient history of the world you'll love them. The photography is excellent and they are truly beautiful artifacts in their own right. Some of the pictures are breathtaking and there is lots of informative text.

I found 'The Megalithic European' a few years ago in that bargain books outlet The Works for something like a tenner. :shock: 'The Modern Antiquarian' was a gift two xmas' ago I believe from amazon used or new. If you can get them reasonably priced go for it!
Last edited by BzaInSpace on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Atrocious Spelling
O P 8
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

The modern antiquarian is a suberb thing to have in the van/car/pushbike whilst travelling Britain or rounding the festivals. Really informative and quite funny too. My copy spent so long on the back shelf it's completely bleached of colour.
Amazingly in depth but great for killing some extremely wacky hours.Good for surf trips in Blighty (As the surf rarely turns up!!!)
Don't know much about the other stuff Krautrock sampler sounds great must investigate...
davy c
Known user

Post by davy c »

Krautrocksampler is fantastic but very hard to come by for much less than £50. One off print and never repressed, beware of Amazon selling em cheap (they are in german !) Its a great starting poiint for anyone with any interest in Krautrock and a decent read for anyone already a Kraut convert !
I own japrocksampler but I havent started it yet
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Head On and Repossessed are both interesting. And there is a two-fer.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Not Cope's book but I picked this up the other day....

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9781906155667-0

Anyone familiar with this one? Looks pretty nice but have yet to dive into it. The review on the link isn't brilliant but it was used so I got it for $17.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Krautrock sampler is absolutely fantastic and superbly cool. I just got a copy of it for my birthday from a close friend (he knew I had been startin' to listen a lot to a lot of those bands) and it is such a pleasure to read. His writing style is so energized and excited and just happy to be talking to you and telling you about what he really loves and is passionate about -- its as if he is in the room with you, one of those people who can go on 20 minute rants about something that you sit rapt for, learning tons of new information, still missing tons that just goes over your heard, and loving every second of it. There are pdfs floating around online if you want to experience it but not plunk down for it. It's also really cool to see all the connections between various bands you may not have realized where connected.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just spotted this new book from Cope due in November: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Copendium-Julia ... 403&sr=1-1

Scroll down for info. Looks interesting.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Update on above post. Taken from Head Heritage site:

Phew Brothers’n’Sisters, I have BIG news this July month, for my venerable publishers Faber & Faber have taken it upon themselves to unleash in book form almost the entire past ten years of Head Heritage Albums of the Month, well over 700 pages in a hardy’n’sumptuous box replete with three accompanying CDs of truly unmastered sonic genius (NB: I guarantee y’all that nothing is fucked-about-with on these CDs. I’m too Alan Lomax, too Attenborough for that) pouring forth from such diverse artists and ensembles as Blue Cheer, Chrome, Parson Sound, New Lou Reeds, Orthodox, Timothy Revelator, Sunburned Hand of the Man, Gunslingers, Lord Buckley, Hääre, Monoshock, Vibracathedral Orchestra, AR & Machines, Simply Saucer, Billy Miller’s Cold Sun and umpteen truckloads more. Alongside articles detailing the works of each of the aforemenched, readers get re-runs of Hardrocksampler, Danskrocksampler, Glamrocksampler, Postpunksampler and a 40+ page index to boot. Entitled COPENDIUM, this work will be available in three wildly diverse formats: 1) Massively expensive Limited Edition w/3CDs. Get this motherfucker only if you need need need on your bookshelf your personal hefty record of my own twisted Rock’n’roll Weltanshauung, 2) Smartly packaged MODERN ANTIQUARIAN-sized affordable essential hardback, or: 3) Free Free Free off our website same as always. That way, nobody gots to pay for what we already gave to you years ago, unless that is, you be a rock’n’roll scholar or a book lover. Finally, to all you Ladies’n’gentlemen musicians of the Underground, I do believe this massive tome will – over the passage of time – lend considerable cultural validation to all of our future statements. And so, to all of you artists whose work appears described within those 700+ pages of COPENDIUM, I say this: for having conjured up in my mind the kind of sustained psychedelically suffused imagery and barbarian inspirations that have caused me – month after month – to have brung forth this veritable Danube of barbarian commentary, I thank you all from the ocean bottom of my Dark Heart for having sent us all of these extraordinary works.

I better start saving!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five