What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible, MODLAB

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Postby spzretent » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Courtney Barnett/Kurt Vile- Royal Oak Music Theater 10/30.
I was a bit ambivalent going to this show but I bought tix the day they went on sale and now no one wanted to go with me because the weather turned a bit shit this night but I soldiered on. Tried to dump an extra ticket in front and someone else handed me their extra. Crazy.
The show was just what you think you would get. I am much more a CB fan and find Kurt Vile irritating sometimes. That said he can certainly play guitar. He beefed up the CB songs they played. The highlight was a cover of Elvis Presley Blues in which CB shined. That song was such an amazing surprise.
The crowd was on the old side which kind of amazed me. I mean way older. People from their 30's to well into their 60's. Had I been sitting in a bar next door looking looking out it seemed would have more like an Elton John looking crowd. I found this bizarre.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spzretent
Site Admin

Postby angelsighs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:39 am

RIDE on Weds night in Birmingham. Definitely more just solid and good rather then the heights they've reached previously- that's the way it goes. The sound should have been a bit louder and it didn't have that something extra. But still a great night.

As mentioned in the other thread, the good thing is that they're mixing up the setlists a little. From Time To Time seems to be a regular at the moment- I was never a huge fan of this song, but y'know what, it came across rather well live. Rocket Silver Symphony was the first song of the encore with a nice drawn out intro. and Close My Eyes got an airing too 8) (If I was being picky though, this was a bit of a truncated version without the outro it used to have back in the day- loved it when they used to jam it out a bit).

It was the old warhorses that really hit the mark though- Taste, Vapour Trail, and particularly Chelsea Girl were all superb.

Last gig of the year for me.. and for the first time in ages, at the mo I've not actually got anything else whatsover booked in! :/
angelsighs
Known user

Postby davedecay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Saturday night it was King Crimson in Allentown PA, at Miller Symphony Hall. A nice old venue.

We were seated in the mezzanine, with a clear view of the stage. Sound was excellent, material focused on older material primarily. Jakko was a great vocalist. Three drummers really kept it percussive in nature.

I hadn't seen them since the mid-90s. The latest lineup sounded great!

Set list attached.

https://imgur.com/a/quRlV
davedecay
Known user

Postby olan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:54 pm

My wife and I went to see Ride on Sunday night in Liverpool. I seem to have the same impression as Jon really. Putting to one side the fact the gig was in the smaller room in the O2 Academy (Which has the atmosphere, acoustics and sightlines of a coal cellar)the gig was OK, not awful, not great but OK. The sound was nice and clear, but it was nowhere near loud enough. During the noise interlude in Drive Blind, it was deathly quiet and we were just in front of the mixer :shock: . The new songs just don't do it for me, but to be brutally honest I have been saying that since they released Twisterella, so I shouldn't be surprised. Fair play to the band for recording an LP and then getting out and actually playing it. Sadly, eight new songs out of twenty-one played didn't do it for me. Also, fair play for playing 'From Time to Time' from Carnival of Light, but it is a weak tune from a poor LP. There were long periods where I was somewhere between being unable to get into the gig and just plain bored. The closing run of OX4, Vapour Trail and Drive Blind was very good, but nowhere near the heights of earlier times. The first song in the encore was 'White Sands' which did nothing for me or most standing near me. The set closed with Unfamiliar, LTAB and Chelsea Girl (which we missed as we decided to leave).

Overall, I would describe this as a score draw. Mid-gig I described it as dull, but it picked up from there. I don't think the venue helped, but as we were on the guests list it would be churlish to bag the show off. I was good to catch up with Dave and Gaz before the show. Next up for me is The Mark Lanegan Band, also at the fucking O2 :( .
olan
Known user

Postby Aquarian-Time » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:46 pm

As Olan mentioned, also at the Liverpool Ride show. We were three from the front and it was pretty loud, but I know what Olan means as I have watched gigs about halfway back in that venue and it's no where near loud enough. Personally I love the album and the gig, definitely my current face band at the moment. It was an excellent ending to the gig, as mentioned by Olan. Of the new songs, only Weather Diaries struggles for me. All I want and Lareral Alice were sounding great my ears.
We shall see you at Mark Lanegan Olan, another five artist of mine .
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Postby niamhm » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:31 pm

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Glasgow Barrowland
Have seen this group a fair few times and always had a great experience, so it was great to see them back round these parts after 4 yrs away, place was busy but maybe not sold out, but still a buzzing atmosphere, they didn`t disappoint, a great, dirty rock n roll show, maybe a little lull in places, they did play 7 new songs by my reckon from an album that`s not out till next yr and 24/25 songs over 2 hrs. Peter Hayes showing a lot of grey hair I noted, not a crime I have more than my share, but none of us are getting any younger and they do expend some energy over the piece but Robert Been is always a treat to watch playing the bass, 100% given, and great seeing Leah back behind her kit after her health scares, looking forward to the album now.

War On Drugs - Glasgow Barrowland
Went to this one with my daughter, Lost In The Dream was quite popular with everybody in the house and she was a bit miffed I never took her then, we went on the 1st of 2 sold out nights, great atmosphere inside, fantastic show again, WOD are just such a great live act, big band, big sound but you could hear every instrument, majority of the set was from A Deeper Understanding, Thinking Of A Place was a real stand out, followed by and extended Under The Pressure making for an impressive finish to the main set, you could feel the sprung dance floor in the old venue being put through its paces, they returned for a 3 song encore including a cracking version of Burning, we left before the end to beat the inevitable crush on the way out and missed Eyes to The Wind, but that`s a minor gripe, great to spend time with my daughter enjoying good music.
niamhm
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 am

Aquarian-Time wrote:As Olan mentioned, also at the Liverpool Ride show. We were three from the front and it was pretty loud, but I know what Olan means as I have watched gigs about halfway back in that venue and it's no where near loud enough. Personally I love the album and the gig, definitely my current face band at the moment. It was an excellent ending to the gig, as mentioned by Olan. Of the new songs, only Weather Diaries struggles for me. All I want and Lareral Alice were sounding great my ears.
We shall see you at Mark Lanegan Olan, another five artist of mine .

I really do think Ride are a band where the sound quality and volume really affects how satisfying their shows are. If they are not sufficiently loud they can sound thin and flat.

I'm somewhere between Olan and Dave in terms of my enjoyment of the album- I like it but it doesn't excite me that much. I'd say that it was the title track that (perhaps surprisingly) came across really well for me the other night.
You guys did get Unfamiliar which I'm jealous of! :) great tune.
At Liverpool did they cut the intro out of OX4? In Brum it was just Mark doing that bit with delay then straight into the song.

In case anyone is interested I would rank the Ride shows I've seen since the reunion as thus, from best to worst. They have ranged from some of the best gigs I've ever seen, to just okay. It really seems to depend what night you see them on. I've had similar experiences with Spiritualized amongst others!

Oxford New Theatre, 2017
Manchester Albert Hall, 2015
Oxford Academy, 2015
Birmingham Institute, 2017
Birmingham Institute, 2015
angelsighs
Known user

Postby Greeny » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:34 pm

All this talk of RIDE brings back the anguished call I received in the summer from my mate, who was at their show in London at the Village Underground but left just before the end, after which he later discovered that they played (for the only time to my knowledge) the Spacemen 3 song Revolution!!

To say he was gutted was an understatement...
Greeny
Known user

Postby BROKENHEART » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Aldous Harding at Islington Assembly Hall and Brighton The Haunt.
An Aldous Harding performance is not just a vocal, guitar and keyboard thing, it's a visual display of body moves and facial expressions and contortions. Mesmerising to watch and listen to all the emotions coming through her songs.
She seems to command the venue in silence and you could hear a pin drop at both gigs.
No wonder she recently received album of the year by Rough Trade stores with ' Party ' .
BROKENHEART
Known user

Previous

Return to Gigs