what v i r t u a l gigs do you have coming up?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

ro
Known user

what v i r t u a l gigs do you have coming up?

Post by ro »

with winter coming on
with no live gigs anytime soon
..please post your upcoming online events!

here’s mine:
every friday at 4pm edt, alan & mimi/LOW do a little set from their living room. it’s become a great comfort during this time

https://instagram.com/lowtheband?igshid=1k519iy0r3f54
ro
Known user

Re: what v i r t u a l gigs do you have coming up?

Post by ro »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm tempted by the Earthless one too. But I am a bit dubious about how enjoyable this kind of thing would be.
I know they are cheaper than a normal gig but I'm still unsure. It is important to try and support bands though.
Ride did one a few weeks ago which I didn't go for but apparently was a shambles- piss poor connection etc. If you're just watching it back later what's the point.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

yah, i can totally understand that, sighs. it’s so weird watching via video.

and stageit is not the most inviting platform. i’ve been watching robyn hitchcock & emma swift a lot, and it’ll cut out from time to time, but you just reload and get back in the swing of things. i find it really enjoyable in the end.

i’m biased, i suppose, due to my illness and inability to attend gigs for a few years now. so being part of a live event, even with bad production, is really fulfilling.

the recent rough trade east thurston moore show was beautifully done, so much so it made me forget it was live, which speaks to your point: i’d rather have watched a video of that, bc that’s what it felt like (aside from between-songs talk)

but acts like low or dean and britta in their living room feel worth it to me. it’s casual and intimate. even the 2-20K attendance DJ sets on IG feel so genuine, bc you’ve got that basic ingredient: a gifted artist in their home doing what they love. the power of that purity really comes through.

i also love watching my friends’ bands on FB live :D

i guess everyone’s still trying to figure this all out, bands, promoters, us...

anyway, i’m very curious what virtual gigs are out there. i don’t know how else to find them!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

a few very enticing names on here. i only wish tom himself was still with us.
DE169C5F-E20B-4B2B-B7F3-1E568680A9AF.jpeg
DE169C5F-E20B-4B2B-B7F3-1E568680A9AF.jpeg (305.15 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
17F108AE-15D1-41B0-93FE-41A84761EA7B.jpeg
17F108AE-15D1-41B0-93FE-41A84761EA7B.jpeg (326.82 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Not sure how many will be turned on by the promise of a 3 hr New Model Army stream this Saturday but one of my mates is super buzzin` for it so good on them, Flaming Lips also doing one on Saturday but i`m going to go for the Earthless show, they did one more suited to other regions of the world I think last Saturday so hopefully any gremlins have been ironed out then
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

niamhm wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:15 pma 3 hr New Model Army stream this Saturday
wow!

i’ve just noticed this:
https://facebook.com/events/s/windhand/ ... 08/?ti=icl
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

million tongues festival:
https://fb.me/e/3SEs1xgGC
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Still waiting for Bjork's shows (postponed until next year).

Just got tickets to Liam Gallagher. :lol:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Twilight Sad doing something on 5/12 I`m not sure it is an actual live performance or a recording of a live performance, either way thinking about it,https://twitter.com/thetwilightsad/stat ... 4488120320
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

https://www.nyegenyege.com/

this looks incredibly cool and it’s free
08CECE49-9389-4D60-BB27-F58B7CDA4FF4.jpeg
08CECE49-9389-4D60-BB27-F58B7CDA4FF4.jpeg (424.7 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

ro wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:23 pm here’s another Earthless show.

https://www.stageit.com/earthless/live_ ... sbah/93620
Live from San Diego's The Casbah! I miss being there. :(

Pretty silent on my end. Still catching Robyn Hitchcock's weekly shows. Getting a little boring because after 7 or 8 months of weekly shows he seems to play some songs over and over and over.

Besides that, I've got the rescheduled Bjork shows in April!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Had to pass on that Earthless, Live At The Casbah one as I was working/on call over the weekend but I believe they are doing another one next weekend out in the desert, sounds interesting
https://www.elcorazonseattle.com/e/eart ... 152947049/, apparently these streams are `one time only` deals and yet its up on youtube already, not sure about that as I guess the idea in these f#cked up times is a kinda transaction/support the band you like idea, not really in the spirit, whatever

Also Mogwai doing a, I think, stream of their new album early next month, Saturday 13th https://mogwai.scot/
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

toomilk, i try every few weeks for robyn and emma.. been enjoying the occasional cat content. in case you missed last night, the show closed with a short but fierce rendition of “vicious... oh tubby, you’re so vicious”

niamhm thank you for the mogwai heads-up! that is something i would really like to see.

and our very own james t is doing this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKUTmIEAM7A ... h40hdo57mb
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Saw this yesterday. Another (?) live album from Dead Meadow, but the live footage (which i believe you can buy tickets to stream it) looks amazing!

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

ro wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:26 pm toomilk, i try every few weeks for robyn and emma.. been enjoying the occasional cat content. in case you missed last night, the show closed with a short but fierce rendition of “vicious... oh tubby, you’re so vicious”
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

veeps seems to have since interesting stuff going on. late notice, but tonight it’s patti smith and lenny kaye

https://pattismith.veeps.com/stream/eve ... 17a8600a1f
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

The third one by Besnard Lakes early April.
https://noonchorus.com/the-besnard-lakes/
I missed the first, the second had plenty of past favourites, but I'm hoping for a little more from the excellent new record next time.

and I see White Hills have a free one on Apr 22nd, and it looks like a promising new site https://supernovasect.com
, I mean the events, not the brand new site itself which still has some Lorem Ipsums in place...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:19 am Saw this yesterday. Another (?) live album from Dead Meadow, but the live footage (which i believe you can buy tickets to stream it) looks amazing!
Wow, that does look good Laz. I was under the impression that these Levitation live LPs were taken from old Levitation festival sets but this seems to be a Covid type online affair. I think Fuzz Club have got a monolopy on these now in the UK as I had managed to grab the Kikagaku Moyo and Black Angel ones via Resident in Brighton.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 pm
Laz69 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:19 am Saw this yesterday. Another (?) live album from Dead Meadow, but the live footage (which i believe you can buy tickets to stream it) looks amazing!
Wow, that does look good Laz. I was under the impression that these Levitation live LPs were taken from old Levitation festival sets but this seems to be a Covid type online affair. I think Fuzz Club have got a monolopy on these now in the UK as I had managed to grab the Kikagaku Moyo and Black Angel ones via Resident in Brighton.
I think its two separate series Adam, Levitation Sessions have been running since last summer, think there`s about nine of them so far, Live At Levitation so far is only Kikagaku Moyo and Black Angels,

https://reverberationappreciation.bandcamp.com/
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I noticed they had a 33 track '10 Years of Reverberation' compilation. Name your price: https://reverberationappreciation.bandc ... erberation
Transcendental Cosmic Fuck-rock played by Superfit amphetamine Visionary Poet-druids
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:07 pm
Shinesalight wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 pm
I think its two separate series Adam, Levitation Sessions have been running since last summer, think there`s about nine of them so far, Live At Levitation so far is only Kikagaku Moyo and Black Angels,

https://reverberationappreciation.bandcamp.com/
Like Adam I also got confused by the Live at Levitation/Levitation sessions and thought they were the same thing!
There's some video footage of the Black Angels songs and it sounds damn good so think I may shell out. it's funny as my own experience of them live has not been stellar- but they are sounding on form here. and songs from those great first 2 albums as well.

must resist the temptation to "collect them all"!

in terms of the virtual gigs thing, although I like the concept (and a great way to support artists) it's not something I've been really trying myself. for me a big part of gigs is experiencing it through a big PA, the atmosphere in the room etc. plus my laptop is on it's last legs and I can't work out how to cast to my TV...
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:51 am in terms of the virtual gigs thing, although I like the concept (and a great way to support artists) it's not something I've been really trying myself. for me a big part of gigs is experiencing it through a big PA, the atmosphere in the room etc. plus my laptop is on it's last legs and I can't work out how to cast to my TV...
Tbh I've done a lot more watching old gigs on YT than looking out for live virtual gigs, and indeed the tech setup has something to do with it, my TV has a YT app so that's easy.
Easiest solution if your laptop has an HDMI display port is to plug a cable to the telly. Otherwise Win10 supports wireless monitors - if your TV is relatively recent then that works, but I've found it very unreliable - after a min or so there's a huge lag with the mouse cursor, so it's a case of hurry to move the window to the second display, press play and full screen asap before it becomes a struggle.

As I'm aiming to get rid of Sky altogether I've just purchased a chromecast dongle. So far so good. I was surprised it's not like your TV stick which carries its own apps etc, instead you run the native app with Cast support on your phone or computer, then Cast to TV. When I see how slow the apps on my TV are, this is actually a plus. Or cast your phone screen, or a browser window or embedded video, so that'll be ideal for live streams. Of course the downside is it's from Google and it'll try to slurp info and prompt you to give more than it needs.

It doesn't make up for the lack of audience or atmosphere, or for the loudness. But indeed a good way to support artists, and a bit of a change from old concerts on YT!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

same here Flo, I've been watching a fair bit of old live footage on Youtube. that's the thing with these virtual gigs- unless they try and make it special somehow, what tangibly is different from just doing that? there's endless stuff on YT, it's bottomless
I know it's important to support bands but I guess I do that in other ways.

I'll try the laptop HDMI thing, that might be the best way. it's frustrating that both my phone and tablet don't wanna cast to the TV. they all have the capability but it has to be certain brands and stuff that talk to each other
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah I cast most stuff on my tv and with a nice Cambridge Audio sound bar, all sounds and looks great. I also have a HDMI which i take out of my blu ray and into my laptop for the stuff that cant be casted. Essentailly Football on Ifollow and Sky Go , I log into our eldest account (he has moved out so win win there) so zero cost at my end. For that he gets BT sport log in details from us.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

White Hills doing a live stream set at 8 pm tonight :) https://supernovasect.com/?fbclid=IwAR2 ... 2Jn3rJrMs4
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Luna are doing a full band performance next month!

Still waiting on those rescheduled Bjork shows!