Royal Albert Hall, October 11th, 2011.

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

angelsighs
Known user

Re: Royal Albert Hall, October 11th, 2011.

Post by angelsighs »

I'm on your side Simon, I think most 2 chord riffs sound similar so I don't think it's directly based on Black to Comm per se
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

...indeed, and as far as the opening riff off 'Hey Jane' goes, for me it bears a far more striking similarity to the classic 'To The Birds' by Suede. No shit! :shock:

(It's in 'D', right?)

Besides, wasn't it the Spacemen's 'Revolution' that was based on 'Black to Comm'?

I wonder if an online blog/review will use my Suede/Spiritualized link... whaddya think Runcie? :wink:
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Reggae never has this problem. Hell you can buy whole books on which songs are based on which rhythms. My opinion hasn't changed - Black to Comm was the first one of those motor tracks with that sort of riffing. Unless someone knows another? It's odd that when some slightly revolutionary chord structure or riff appears it can trigger loads of offshoots. Smells Like Teen Spirit etc.

I'll leave you to you Suede Barry... Can't stand that lot so I've never heard that song - and I'm unlikely to!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

nghst wrote:There's plenty of good songwriting. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around I Am What I Am - "like the planet that lights the sun...like the road that drives the car...like the sea holds back the land." Then there's the cryptic first line from Poppy, So Long - "Take the long way home past the scary Jesus and you'll find my door with your head in darkness."...However it will be interesting to see if there are any surprises on the studio album.
I heard that line as 'And you'll find my door, with your name in diamonds'. As my memory serves, there was another mention of 'all your dreams of diamond rings' later in the track too, so maybe it checks out. I find it hard to make out a lot of the lyrics from the bootleg. looking forward to the clarity (and perhaps a lyrics sheet) with the album itself. As i hear it there are a couple of odd lyrics, such as the 'got wings like a birdy fly' on hey jane (i hope i'm right cos i love that line) and later on mary, 'mary, ain't this life so sweet, filled with stuff. yeah yeah yeah' (not so keen on that one)

those lyrics you point out from 'I am what I am' seem very Taoist to me. fits with the feel and theme of hey jane/so long as i see it.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

MattBenn wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:
nghst wrote:I'm so impressed by the sml42 version (royal albert hall: go to http://tapers.org/download/ and search for spz) I'm worried I'll be let down by the studio album.
Holy crap. This is a tremendous recording. Freedom, Too Late and Life Is A Problem are just astonishing.
can't get this to work, it comes up with no results. did it get taken down?
don't 'search' scroll down through the list of files and you'll see it
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

MattBenn wrote:
bunnyben wrote:
don't 'search' scroll down through the list of files and you'll see it
Got it, thanks! Sounds so great.
:D
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

A random question. But, does anyone have any idea what the music Ashley Wales was playing right before the band took to the stage? It started off sounding like Hendrix, loads of freakout wah guitar then took it down into a keyboard drone with really reverby drum hits twice in each bar. It was a killer track and I really want to find out what it was. Any ideas where to start?
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

The song that was played just before the gig was a tune by the great caspar brötzmann massacre. caspar is the son of living legend peter brötzman.
"Thank you"
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Cheers Herman! I was aware of Peter Brötzman but Caspar is new to me. Thanks so much I'm looking forward to checking this out...
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I thought it was Jason's remix of LFO's Tied Up. I guess that must've been the second last one played then.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

Is there anyone who has the bootleg for this show that would be kind enough to share it please?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

The Kwisatz Haderach wrote:Is there anyone who has the bootleg for this show that would be kind enough to share it please?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wu5hv84b8z1p6 ... .zip?dl=0l
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

Thanks for that!
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

It's the 10 year anniversary of this epic event. I wasn't there, but I listened the bootleg probably a hundred times and counting. The world was introduced to Sweet Heart, Sweet Light in a grand fashion. I was just getting back into Spiritualized at the time and it also coincided with my birthday as well which was quite cool.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

It’s pretty mind-blowing to think that’s been 10 years. I remember the atmosphere in London that day vividly, afternoon session next to the canal in Camden, the rush to get to the RAH in time, the gig itself which was very special: hearing one new song after another with the massive band on stage. ‘Hey Jane’. Doggen going bananas on ‘Heading for the Top. My mate Paul who managed to bring a tray of drinks down to the very front row. Meeting a lot of other Spiritualized friends afterwards. Around 2am ended up in this late night restaurant in Chinatown. The return train journey to Glasgow wasn’t so pleasant…

Have to say it’s incredible how much has changed in a decade! Getting old.

And happy birthday!
O P 8