Thoughts on the career spanning setlist.......

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Thoughts on the career spanning setlist.......

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

Would love to see them open with Anyway You Want Me!! :P
Jasonsmith
Known user

Re: Thoughts on the career spanning setlist.......

Post by Jasonsmith »

After dropping good dope good fun into the last tour set list to the surprise of everybody, which one track would you like to hear? I vote for sway, the version from the gothenberg '93 boot is amazing.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I'd love to hear 'The Twelve Steps', I think that would be fucking incredible, even without the police sirens and that! :wink:
O P 8
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

BzaInSpace wrote:I'd love to hear 'The Twelve Steps', I think that would be fucking incredible, even without the police sirens and that! :wink:
Wasn't that played on the first LICD tour?
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I thought the shows announced were in support of the new album!! Seems like J Spaceman as forgot he said he would play Spread Your Wings.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Kwisatz Haderach wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:I'd love to hear 'The Twelve Steps', I think that would be fucking incredible, even without the police sirens and that! :wink:
Wasn't that played on the first LICD tour?
Nope. Never been played as far as I'm aware...
Shaun wrote:I thought the shows announced were in support of the new album!! Seems like J Spaceman as forgot he said he would play Spread Your Wings.
Exactly Shaun! To forget to play that one song... "It's not rocket science" :wink:

I thought they were playing new stuff along with the 'classics'. Most likely be a 'normal' show (if there's anything normal about a Spiritualized show) - playing a bit of everything.

The 2008-9 shows had stuff from all the albums - there was a lot of (great) Amazing Grace material.

What else? Oh yeah... it would be good to hear 'Medication'. And 'Yeah Yeah'. And how about 'Wild Thing'....?
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shaun wrote:I thought the shows announced were in support of the new album!! Seems like J Spaceman as forgot he said he would play Spread Your Wings.
I think that if a poll were taken on which unplayed gem were to be selected then 'Spread Your Wings' would top it by a country mile. It'd get my vote.

Mind you 'Feelin' Just Fine' and 'Run' rate as the songs I most want to hear, but then they've been done before, albeit some time ago.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Why Don't You Smile Now and Slide Song?
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

runcible wrote:
I think that if a poll were taken on which unplayed gem were to be selected then 'Spread Your Wings' would top it by a country mile. It'd get my vote.
Perhaps we should petition J Spaceman with said poll about the song. A hundred 'yes' votes and maybe spazed99 can pass it on. The voice of the fans have spoken.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Hasn't J always performed a "career-spanning set" ? Walking with Jesus, Electric Mainline, Shine A Light, Come Together, for example.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

toomilk wrote:Hasn't J always performed a "career-spanning set" ? Walking with Jesus, Electric Mainline, Shine A Light, Come Together, for example.
exactly what I was thinking just last night. this will probably only be a 'career-spanning' setlist because the bands sets always are. although there's not much change in a Spz setlist throughout a tour, the standard setlist does cast its net rather wide. the odd new song popping in is always a treat- it was a wonderful surprise when Lay Back In The Sun appeared out of nowhere last tour.

maybe Jason doesn't really want to play Spread Your Wings cause can't really do it justice? I bet if he played it then people would still be moaning that it didn't live up to the expectation.

if I were to vote for rarities I'd go for Don't Just Do Something and, of course, Angel Sigh. Both last played on the LICD tour?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I think it's high time Shine A Light/Electric Mainline are put back together, like the good old days...
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Hipmotized!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Greeny wrote:I think it's high time Shine A Light/Electric Mainline are put back together, like the good old days...
totally agree, I know it's not to everyone's taste but I always found Electric Mainline an essential and exhilirating part of the setlist.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

What angelsighs and Greeny said. And NickH too.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

BzaInSpace wrote: "It's not rocket science"
Miserable b*****d.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

a 20 mins version of feels like going home into won't get to heaven with a full choir and just when everyone's completely blissed out and holy crash into a feedback drenched you lie you cheat with mainline morphed into it ending the sequence with an accaplla version of ladies and gents. i'm not asking for much :D
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Would love to hear the original version of Take Good Care of It, Angel Sigh, I Didn't Mean to Hurt You, Sway and Feel So Sad but would certainly settle for the good old fashioned Shine A Light/Electric Mainline combo. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Feel So Sad used to build up to a truly incredible shimmering climax when played live. Man I forgot about that - would love to hear it again.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

toomilk wrote:Hasn't J always performed a "career-spanning set" ? Walking with Jesus, Electric Mainline, Shine A Light, Come Together, for example.
Agreed.

Electric Mainline, Run and Smiles would be great as long as they weren't in the horrible style they did them on the Amazing Grace tour.

And no choirs/strings sections please. I've always found the band to be more ferocious without all the add ons.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Kinda felt like the Acoustic Mainline shows were a bit of retrospect.
Weren't they billed as songs from Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized?
Dusted off Amen, Feel So Sad and All Of My Tears.

If J. is taking requests, I'd like to see/hear Codeine, These Blues, Step Into the Breeze, If I Were With Her Now and The Slide Song.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I'm glad I saw Lay Back In The Sun because it was a novelty, but truth be told I was not hugely impressed with the performance or arrangement. I'd love to hear Spread Your Wings, Hypnotized, Feel So Sad or Feelin Just Fine -- or plenty of obscure Spacemen 3 songs -- but they've got to have the right musicians and accompaniment. Otherwise it will just be disappointing.
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

jadams501 wrote:I'm glad I saw Lay Back In The Sun because it was a novelty, but truth be told I was not hugely impressed with the performance or arrangement.
WHAT???????? :shock: :shock: :shock:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Indeed! It was an amazing highlight of an already amazing show. I loved the dreamy intro and then BAM! right into the mainline.
O P 8
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Don't Just Do Something

tho it really depends on what the live band is. & what Spz album i've been listening to the most recently.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

bunnyben wrote:a 20 mins version of feels like going home into won't get to heaven with a full choir and just when everyone's completely blissed out and holy crash into a feedback drenched you lie you cheat with mainline morphed into it ending the sequence with an accaplla version of ladies and gents. i'm not asking for much :D
very late response - but that sounds like PERFECTION to me!
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

i would really like to hear Medication... 8)
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

It would be awesome if they continued to play the new 10 minute version of Stay With Me that got aired during the LAGWAFIS shows. Struggling to remember anything as awesome live.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Since this thread has been linked to in the current setlist speculation one, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any decent live boots of the A&E tour - preferably from the last leg of that tour when Lay Back in the Sun made a mighty fine and welcome appearance.

I've got a pretty ropey one from Australia, but would love to get a decent snapshot of that era. I prefer the later gigs, as having seen the slightly lacklustre KOKO show near the beginning of the A&E tour, things really seemed to pick up as it moved on, not only with the inclusion of Lay Back in the Sun but the standout live track from that album You Lie You Cheat had so much more energy at the 02 Academy shows.

However I haven't got a decent live version of either track ... any suggestions?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

stevelee101 wrote:
jadams501 wrote:I'm glad I saw Lay Back In The Sun because it was a novelty, but truth be told I was not hugely impressed with the performance or arrangement.
WHAT???????? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'll raise your WHAT??? and add an EH???
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

There's plenty of tracks I'd love to see/hear.

Medication, If I Were With Her Now, Hold On, Angel Sigh, Walkin' With Jesus (was disappointed not to have that back in March), Feel So Sad would be fantastic, a longer version of Life Is A Problem, the suggestions of Hypnotized and Anyway That You Want Me are excellent and also get my vote, Stop Your Crying, Run, Good Dope/Lay Back In The Sun,Baby I'm Just A Fool, I Want You, Let It Flow, I also really enjoyed Lord Let It Rain On Me in March, Home Of The Brave, Lord Can You Hear Me?,Sweet Talk, 200 Bars, Oh Happy Day could also come back, These Blues, Starship, 2:35, I Believe It, a couple of interesting and unusual covers could be good too.