Supersonic Festival 2011

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

angelsighs
Known user

Supersonic Festival 2011

Post by angelsighs »

I often think I should try and go to this seeing as it's only down the road from me. tempted just by Bardo Pond really but do recognise a few other names. anyone spot anyone they recommend.. think the lineup might be a bit metally though?

Bardo Pond, Circle, Cloaks, Electric Wizard, Fire! feat. Oren Ambarchi, Secret Chiefs 3, Zombi, ZU93, a.P.a.t.T, Agathe Max, Antilles, Astro, Blarke Bayer//Black Widow, Eternal Tapestry, Lucky Dragons, Monarch, Pekko Kappi, Scorn, The Skull Defekts, White Hills, Wolves in the Throne Room, Nathan Bell, Tony Conrad, Silver Apples, Pharaoh Overlord
James T
Known user

Re: Supersonic Festival 2011

Post by James T »

Not Zombi, absolute shite.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:I often think I should try and go to this seeing as it's only down the road from me. tempted just by Bardo Pond really but do recognise a few other names. anyone spot anyone they recommend.. think the lineup might be a bit metally though?

Bardo Pond, Circle, Cloaks, Electric Wizard, Fire! feat. Oren Ambarchi, Secret Chiefs 3, Zombi, ZU93, a.P.a.t.T, Agathe Max, Antilles, Astro, Blarke Bayer//Black Widow, Eternal Tapestry, Lucky Dragons, Monarch, Pekko Kappi, Scorn, The Skull Defekts, White Hills, Wolves in the Throne Room, Nathan Bell, Tony Conrad, Silver Apples, Pharaoh Overlord
If i lived just down the road i'd certainly be going. Out of that list there i'd go for Bardo Pond, Circle, Electric Wizard, Eternal Tapestry, Scorn, Skull Defekts, White Hills, Tony Conrad, Silver Apples and Pharaoh Overlord.

You've got a nice mix of drone, repetition, psych, stoner, electronic and noise out of that lot alone. But yeah, i think Supersonic does lean towards metal, albeit in it's more experimental forms.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I find myself being constantly amused by the names of bands from the death metal and related scenes. Wolves In The Throne Room is definitely one to make me smile... The Southern Lord web site, similarly, is full of very seriously written but highly amusing reviews.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Not to derail the thread, but I got a Southern Lord compiliation with a record that I ordered from them. This was a year or more ago. I put it on in the car and the majority of the songs made me crack up laughing because you'd have this badass heavy metal riff going and then, without fail, COOKIE MONSTER VOCALS! Hilarious! How can you take any band seriously when the singer does the Cookie Monster voice?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

haha "cookie monster vocals" never heard it called that before but its a perfect description!! so annoying when a song has smoking drums and guitar then those sort of vocals come in.. oh dear..

might give this fest a try then
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:I find myself being constantly amused by the names of bands from the death metal and related scenes. Wolves In The Throne Room is definitely one to make me smile...
They probably thought Dogs In The Bogs didn't have quite the same ring to it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote:haha "cookie monster vocals" never heard it called that before but its a perfect description!! so annoying when a song has smoking drums and guitar then those sort of vocals come in.. oh dear..
It ruined the last Batman movie too.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

runcible wrote:
angelsighs wrote:haha "cookie monster vocals" never heard it called that before but its a perfect description!! so annoying when a song has smoking drums and guitar then those sort of vocals come in.. oh dear..
It ruined the last Batman movie too.
the dark knight?? no way man!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I hated Dark Knight because of the ridiculous voice Batman had. Totally ruined what might have been a decent film.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

runcible wrote:I hated Dark Knight because of the ridiculous voice Batman had. Totally ruined what might have been a decent film.
his voice and the 'batmobile' ruined begins and dark knight but dk is an amazing film (mostly due to heath to be fair)
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new additions to this:

Alva Noto
Byetone
Cut Hands, aka William Bennett of Whitehouse
Alexander Tucker
The Berg Sans Nipple
Part Chimp
Teeth of the Sea
Slabdragger
Kogumaza.

I'm still definitely considering going. the lineup doesn't seem quite as strong as previous years though. Teeth Of The Sea are definitely a plus as I enjoyed the album. Alexander Tucker seems to be haunting me- I've seen him 3 times in various festival and support slots and always bored me to tears!!

PS I liked the Dark Knight, great film!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Would love to see Part Chimp.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

sunray wrote:Would love to see Part Chimp.
Seen them at ATP. They were amazing! Me too!
Design.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I have been to Supersonic many times.
I don't recognise more than 3 or 4 names on the line up yet i know it will be great.
One year the two highlights went from the extreme other wordly vibrations of Sunn0))) doing Grim Robe demos to the Memory Band covering the Wickerman soundtrack. You don't get that kind of thing, and everything in between, at any other festival.
Its the whole package - the venue, the atmosphere, the ale, the cake - the price. The new discoveries... I wouldn't miss it.

Don't delay, get yr tickets today.
Heavy Tourism
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Barn Owl, Envy and Turbonegro all added recently.

I'm still definitely tempted, the fact that you mention the 'whole experience' is encouraging- I feel the same about ATP and this looks like the nearest thing in terms of having a unique location and lots of extra curricular activity on offer

but the lineup still doesn't look quite as good as past years- looking back there have been loads of board favorites as well as some slightly bigger names like Swans, Mogwai, Earth.. if they add someone of that calibre I'd be there in a shot

does anyone know if they do day tickets? can't see any mention on the site
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

first batch of acts for this years fest:
Lichens / Dylan Carlson / Zeni Geva / JK Flesh / Carlton Melton / Tim Hecker / Dope Body / Rangda / Flower-Corsano Duo / Six Organs of Admittance / Sir Richard Bishop / Goat and a Small but Hard label showcase featuring DJ Scotch Bonnet

I've heard rumours that Acid Mothers Temple are playing too.

I think this could be the year for me to try this festival. a healthy dose of Chasny/Corsano there and tickets are only £70. awesome.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

What's the deal with this festival Sighs? From the looks of it it's not one where you camp? I'm intrigued with Carlton Melton on the line up.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup no camping.. it's in the middle of Birmingham, in the Custard Factory (which literally used to be a custard factory). I guess most people get hotels but as I live fairly local will just drive in each day.

this first announcement is worth it alone for me, with I'm sure much more great stuff to be added- just take a look at past line ups and consider that this is their 10th anniversary so a lot of acts may come back.
also I doubt any of this batch are headliners. I'm hoping for something along the calibre of Mogwai or Swans, that would be awesome.

yeah can't wait to see Carlton Melton live, that album I got off you is brilliant!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hookworms just added amongst others!!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I can sometimes hear this from my flat with a prevailing wind. I may actually turn up this year.
Carlton Melton are a definite attraction.

http://www.supersonicfestival.com/info

Digbeth is a pretty cool place to hang out if any out-of-towners are coming to Birmingham for a day or two at the festival.

I was cycling through it last week and saw this peering out of one of the studio spaces at the Custard Factory....
1338566967725.jpg
1338566967725.jpg (177.99 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

well it's almost here!, the timetable has been released... going for the Saturday, and luckily there is only one clash for me- looks like I'm going to have to choose Hookworms over Dylan Carlson. ah well.
if any other board members are going drop me a PM.