The La's/Lee Mavers

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

radioshack
Known user

The La's/Lee Mavers

Post by radioshack »

Has anyone seen any of the recent, last-minute gigs they've/he's been playing of late? They're apparently playing in France at the end of August too. A lot of fan rumblings are suggesting new material will slowly be unveiled. Then again, it might just be another cash grab 'see you in 5 years' set of shows.

There's a rumour he may be playing Glasgow this weekend too. Anyone go to the Manchester or Sunderland shows?
mark
Known user

Re: The La's/Lee Mavers

Post by mark »

Going tonight to london
Ridiculously excited La
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so what was he like in London? do tell

new material would be very interesting. he makes Axl Rose look fast!
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Album and b sides
About 100 in there, little room above a pub in shoreditch
He played acoustic and electric, another fella played
The bass
Good night had by all
Playing a couple of festivals, defo worth a watch
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm with Angelsighs here. Doesn't he have any new material by now? When did that album come out, '94?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

'91 i think.

it does get to a stage where someone starts to take the piss.
has he even played any new material in the very sporadic gigs he plays?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

He played in Chambre69 here in Glasgow the other week, according to their FB update.
O P 8
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Lp came out in 90
They started in 84

How is he taking the piss, it's not like he tours
It year on year
He played in a room above a pub for £12
Up to him if he wants to do new stuff
Rather him not release anything then put
Out shit
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

BzaInSpace wrote:He played in Chambre69 here in Glasgow the other week, according to their FB update.
free gig ,announced on the morning of the show ,considered going but to short notice ,is he taking the piss? don`t think so,maybe wrong but don`t think he`s toured out under the La`s name since 2005 which was only a half dozen gigs or so,I wouldn`t call myself a fanatic more a big fan .Old enough to have seen the La`s back in 89 and they were something else ,as for new music theirs plenty half formed sketches off new songs floating around the internet ,some even sound like they had fantastic potential ,but after 20 years I doubt he`ll ever release anything now,so its a case of what if and maybe`s ,not so much a wasted talent ,coz the album still exists (even if Lee hates it ,I and plenty others love it,still find it inspiring 20 years later)
ps. who else can you think of that tours around the same 10 or so 20 yr. old songs on a much more regular basis? clue .initials S.B. :wink:
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I went to the chambre69 gig. I really liked it. Announced on the day, no having to buy tickets six months ahead of time, no booking fee to be robbed of, no queue to get in, no corporate banners to put up with, drink was cheap, the guy played a few feet in front of me. No arrogance or pretence about, just a direct gig. Chambre69 is a cool little venue, good for rough live rock and roll. There couldn't have been more than 100 people there. My mate did the sound for the night. Given the reputation of Lee, perhaps not the most enviable job in the world!

He might only have 20 songs, but I think they're all really good. Some of the (even more) lesser-known songs are truly special and unique.

If he never puts out another record, so what? I think he's got to be honest and do what he wants. He could easily have charged 40 quid and played all the Carlings of the country. I admire how he went about this. It makes going back to the booking of tickets, paying of ridiculous booking fees and the mild anxiety of waiting for tickets to turn up seem like something I never want to do again.