Gigs of 2004

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Gigs of 2004

Post by runcible »

What about the best gigs you've seen this year? I haven't seen that many so most are memorable as good nights out but here they are:

Spiritualized, Met Uni, Leeds - Pretty decent but with a distinct lull in the middle.

Brian Jonestown Massacre, Leeds Josephs Well - Appalling drunkenness and the worst ever hangover but some night.

Bardo Pond, London ICA - By miles the best live music I saw in 2004.

Gonga, Leeds Joseph's Well - Good and loud Bristol dopey rock, more a nice evening than that incredible musically.

Clinic, Manchester Academy - Absolutely superb. Surprisingly tripped out too.

Acid Mothers Temple, Nottingham Social - Good but disappointing compared to previous carnage.

Wow - only 6 gigs in the year. I've looked back and I saw 9 the year before and 8 the year before that. Even fewer in the previous years. Enough.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

haven't seen many this year but matthew herbert big band were unbelievable...it was in an old theatre, and at the start of the gig, the stage was dark and silent, and herbert (wearing a tux and drinking a cup of tea from a china cup) just rose straight up into the middle of the stage, through a trap door and into a spotlight. he stood there for a few minutes finishing his tea, then he turned to the mic and went 'clinkity-clink' with the teacup and saucer, then turned to his sampling machines and started playing the clinkity-clink sample through the keyboard, building it up into an amazing jazzy tune. one by one the rest of the big band strolled on, and began to join in! it was awesome.

also mogwai - they were amazing too.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

For me it has to be Primal Scream at the Hoping Foundation gig at Brixton Accademy. Absolutely ripped the place up, even if the sound could have been better.

It might be topped tonight possibly, as I'm off to see Ian Brown in Belfast. Roses tunes and all. It could be a special night in Belfast...
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

THe Hope Foundation gig was indeed a stormer and Ian Brown in Dublin last week came a close second followed by Toots and the Maytals in Vicar st a few months back.

Does anybody have any idea who were supporting Ian Brown ...I caught the last three songs and thought they were feicin fantastic

I gather Fuzzhead has the same to report on the Belfast gig.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Hedspace, I missed the support act last night. I heard someone say it was The Zutons but I really can't believe that.

I know the official t shirt stall were selling Mainline shirts, so they must have supported.

If I'd known Mainline were supporting I would have got in earlier as I've heard they're meant to be really good. They're from Dublin, have a bit of a Spiritualized vibe and come recommended by Primal Scream. Sounds alright to me!

Brown was on top form last night. Highlight was I Wanna Be Adored, closely followed by F.E.A.R. And also Brown taking the piss out of the Belfast accent! He was firing out his Jim McDonald "so it is" impressions! Top night.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Yer right Fuzzhed...twas The Mainline, thanks for that :)

If anyones intrested (and methinks you should be) I think a serious eye/ear should be kept peeled for these lads.

http://mainline.moonfruit.com/

Re: Gigs of 2004

Post by Guest »

[quote="runcible"]
Brian Jonestown Massacre, Leeds Josephs Well - Appalling drunkenness and the worst ever hangover but some night.

Couldn't agree more Runcible, the stuff of legend !
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

It's been another great year for gigs, but head and shoulders above all else for me was Tom Waits in Berlin.

Honourable mentions for Bardo Pond at the ICA, Beta Band farewell at Shep Bush, Jamie Lidell at the Festival Hall, Plaid at the QEH, Cassetteboy at Glasto, Bees at Glasto, Part Chimp at the ICA, Brian Wilson at Festival Hall, Spiritualized at Festival Hall and Matthew Herbert Big Band at the Barbican.

Happy days....
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

1. Beta Band Liverpool, November.
2. Spritualized Liverpool February
3. Joy Zipper Liverpool, Marchish. - Really good gig, especially as I'd never heard any tracks before at that point.
4. The shins, Liverpool March some time.
5. Honourable mention should go to Hayseed Dixie for being tremendously entertaining.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

The Magic Band - Bristol Academy
Part Chimp - The Croft, Bristol
buggane
Known user

Post by buggane »

1. Beta Band Liverpool, November.
2. Spritualized Liverpool February

Me too :D

Add to that;

3. Spiritualized Wickerman Festival, Dumfries and Galloway
4. Chris TT Douglas Isle of Man

Thats all I've been too this year and all of them were great :D , its so f'n expensive to get off the Island I live on :evil:
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

The Datsuns
Young Heart Attack
Mooney Suzuki - - - - all in Birmingham.

The Stooges/ The Hives at Donington

I was in an energetic rock'n'roll mood for much of the year.
Steven-notbotheredtologon

Post by Steven-notbotheredtologon »

Quite agree with the above re. Mathew Herbert and Hayseed Dixie-astonishing!

Saw good shows from Esbjorn Svennson Trio in Buxton and Paris.
Yeah,Yeah,Yeahs with The Locust (fuck,yeah!) in Manchester.
Morrissey,FranzFerdinand,Scissor Sisters,Nick Cave,Jonathan Richman,Love,The Who,Spiritualized (York)all very entertaining.

Wild card mention goes to Madonna for her fantastic hits and tits son et lumiere spectacular,you may scoff but "Like A Prayer" was just about best performance of the year.

Looking forward to the return of the Mars Volta's hideous/fantastic thing in March.
BVCP206
Known user

Re: Gigs of 2004

Post by BVCP206 »

Anonymous wrote:
runcible wrote: Brian Jonestown Massacre, Leeds Josephs Well - Appalling drunkenness and the worst ever hangover but some night.

Couldn't agree more Runcible, the stuff of legend !
Must remember to log in :!:
spliffboy
Known user

Post by spliffboy »

Spiritualized at the RFH
the Zutons at glasto and V
The Polyphonic Spree at Shepards Bush
The Pixies at V04
The chemical Brothers at glasto

not been to many proper gigs this year!!!
spliffboy
Known user

Post by spliffboy »

spliffboy wrote:Spiritualized at the RFH
the Zutons at glasto and V
The Polyphonic Spree at Shepards Bush
The Pixies at V04
The chemical Brothers at glasto

not been to many proper gigs this year!!!
Morrissey also deserves a mention her for his glasto performance.........I never got to see the Smiths and that was the first time i saw him!!!

did anyone see his manchester show on VH2 and MTV2 recently?
it was very good!!!!
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Call me old fashion, but I saw Sonic Youth last summer and they were still amazing! One band that never let me down.
"Thank you"
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Post by candy-cane-girl »

Oooh crikey been a good year for me gig wise i think.

The white stripes x 3 in January Yes im on the DVD, ill be signing autographs later.

Spiritualized at the ritz a couple of days before that, the venue is like a big toilet which was nice.

The soledad Brothers with Dooley Wilson who is a brilliant

Spirituallized in March at the Fibbers do god bless ebay.

er

then cos i cant remember dates

Mooney Suzuki
The soledads another 2 times
Young Heart Attack
Fonda 500
The beta band twice .
Lone Pigeon twice
The High Plane Drifters countless times
ben wetherill
david viner twice
a fence collective evening with king creosote etc
Spiritualized liverpool
The Von Bondies with kasabian supporting
The Detoit Cobras
and the super furrys,

Woo i say WOO

and from most of these i have things like setlists and signed schtuff

Hope next years just as busy!
Sweetshine
New user

gigs

Post by Sweetshine »

ACL Fest Austin - Broken Social Scene (awesome!), Cat Power, Franz Ferdinand, American Analog Set.

Voodoo Fest New Orleans - Polyphonic Spree, Sonic Youth, and the Pixies. Blissful day, happily left before Green Day and Beastie Boys!

Sorry I missed (in New Orleans): Super Furry Animals and Grandaddy, Interpol, and Trail of Dead. :cry:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Mogwai @ Coachella, CA
Morrissey @ House of Blues, Chicago
Luna @ The Abbey Pub, Chicago (sadly, their final tour)