Austin Psych Fest 2012

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

purespace
Known user

Austin Psych Fest 2012

Post by purespace »

First round of bands just announced + 20 more bands being announced in March Holy Shite :shock: 8) 8) :D

Brian Jonestown Massacre
The Black Angels
The Black Lips
Olivia Tremor Control
Dead Meadow
Wooden Shjips
Bombino
Woods
The Telescopes
Pink Mountaintops
Dissapears
Sun Araw
Peaking Lights
Prince Rama
Psychic Ills
Pure X
Indian Jewelry
Sleep Over
Lotus Plaza
Moon Duo
Quilt
The Intelligence
Amen Dunes
Ringo Deathstarr
Headdress
Spindrift
Night Beats
Acid Baby Jesus
The UFO Club
Allah Las
Federale
Quest for Fire
High Wolf
Christian Bland and The Revelators
Cosmonauts
MMOSS
Smoke and Feathers
Orange Revival
A Band In Heaven
The Cush
I think I feel it coming on
JakeCardigan
Known user

Re: Austin Psych Fest 2012

Post by JakeCardigan »

WOW :mrgreen:
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

that sure is a helluva line-up!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Very good line up. I wonder if BJM are planning another US tour?

The 2000 miles down (one way!) to Austin would make a fun road trip.... 8)
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Hey hey, I just came here to post a query about this as it falls around my 40th birthday. I've had a shit past year so need some cheering up so am considering flying out for this but would need some good info before I possibly do, and maybe a hook up too seeing as I'd be on my lonesome. I posted about my personal crap a couple of months back, now living on my own, extremely hard, very depressed and haunted with dark thoughts and all the usual stuff. Sunshine and bands and good times is needed!

I'm based in Essex, UK, which is about an hour outside of London. Would need to fly out, at what cost I don't know, then find some accomodation too. Has anyone been before? What kind of area is the festival in? Would be great knowing more. The line up looks incredible.

Cheers.
JB.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

MattBenn wrote:It's pretty much all my favourite psych bands of the last 5 years on one lineup, incredible. wish that flying to Austin was a feasible cost for me :(
ditto for me!
to think there's more bands to be added too..

johnnyboy- hope you manage to sort it out. a simple change of scenery can be really effective sometimes when feeling down, I find
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

angelsighs wrote:
MattBenn wrote:It's pretty much all my favourite psych bands of the last 5 years on one lineup, incredible. wish that flying to Austin was a feasible cost for me :(
ditto for me!
to think there's more bands to be added too..

johnnyboy- hope you manage to sort it out. a simple change of scenery can be really effective sometimes when feeling down, I find
Cheers. I have made it sound all doom and gloom, which it sometimes is but plenty of light shining through in the form of my daughter and MUSIC!! Hence the need for a wonderful festival like this one. Just checked flights from Heathrow to Austin and it is a bank busting £542, plus accomadation, plus festival ticket, plus food and drinks. I need a sugar Mummy :wink:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I need a sugar mamma too ! How do you think us Yanks feel when we have to fly out to the U.K. for a SPZ gig? The english pound is not friendly to us .... :oops:

Great lineup. I would expect accommodations in Austin to be alot ' higher ' than usual due to the festival, other than that I don't think that Austin is that expensive to stay in.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spacemanrich wrote: How do you think us Yanks feel when we have to fly out to the U.K. for a SPZ gig? The english pound is not friendly to us .... :oops:
Eh? The pound is weak compared to all major currencies right now - US, Australia, Euro. $US1.53 to the £UK. No idea where you got that from.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

runcible wrote:
spacemanrich wrote: How do you think us Yanks feel when we have to fly out to the U.K. for a SPZ gig? The english pound is not friendly to us .... :oops:
Eh? The pound is weak compared to all major currencies right now - US, Australia, Euro. $US1.53 to the £UK. No idea where you got that from.
One can rent an entire house for the same price as a hotel room in Austin -- just gotta look around the net a bit like vrbo dot com & maybe homeaway dot com This festival is not big yet in terms of Austin music festivals, so prices do not go up because of it. Yet :D . Austin is such a cool city inhabited by so many friendly/forward thinking/socially progressive/artist/musician/welcoming folks. Such a beautiful time last year, can't wait for April 8)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
What are you on about Runci? :roll: Anyone travelling from Britain is gaining when they go abroad. You've proved it yourself with the above conversion. Maybe you're not getting as much as you used to but it's still a far better deal than someone coming to the UK from elsewhere gets.

Would love to hit that festie, Austin is cool, spent some time there 8 or 9 years ago.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:What are you on about Runci? :roll: Anyone travelling from Britain is gaining when they go abroad. You've proved it yourself with the above conversion. Maybe you're not getting as much as you used to but it's still a far better deal than someone coming to the UK from elsewhere gets.
I don't get that. We used to get lots more $$ to the pound. The Euro has eased a bit I agree but it's still not where it was a while back. I work in the wine industry and we are practically delisting lots of our Australian range as the price has rocketed due to the value of the Australian dollar against the pound. Bottles which were £25 are well over £30 now. Premium stuff that was £80 a bottle is now £120. All due to the pound being weak.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Ah! I'm going to be in Austin in early April but can't really stay until the end or I'd definitely be going to check this out. Looks like a great festival!
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Runcie :

Go ahead and do the conversion yourself :

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

On Friday, $1.00 American dollar equals .64 English pound. So what conversion are you using, the Armenian one ? Why bring up the Euro, your on the Pound !?!? :oops:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

So that's $1.55 to the English £. Not long ago it was over $1.70 - miles more in fact. So it's gone the other way. What are you on about? Compared to years ago Americans have greater spending power in the UK - can't you remember that?

I mentioned the Euro as that is the currency crucial the business I work in, which is relative to the subject of exchange rates in general.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Have to side with Runcible on this one... we used to get far more for the £ pretty much anywhere; be it Europe, the US or Australia. I'm off to Oz a week on Monday (bring it on!!!! :D 8) ) and I'll be getting rough 1.4 Aussie Dollars to the £ where as I know people that went there a few years back and practically got 2 to the pound.

The fact that we're getting more than 1 US/AUS $'s to the pound at the moment is irrelevant... it does't mean its a good deal for us once you factor in the relative cost of everything. The bottom line is we used to get more for the £ than we do now, so we're worse off....fact.

Anyway, fiscal economics aside, that festival looks amazing. For me, its pretty much out of the equation though... the month's long holiday to Oz (have I mentioned that??!!) is going to be a big enough drain on the finances without spending another grand or 2 on this. Its going on the list of things I must do at some point, though not before I'm 40, as that'll be this July....GULP!!!!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I really wish I could do this. It is the best line-up of them all (imho) and I have heard murmurs that the bands yet to be announced will be the icing on the cake.

I've also never been to Austin and would love to visit. I drove through Texas years and years ago but this was well before Austin became the hip center of the universe. Austin, it seems, is an oasis and a bubble in a very big state. Step outside of that bubble and there is still a WHOLE lot of Texas that probably wouldn't like my liberal stance.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

@redcloud...BJM news.
"Brian Jonestown Massacre recently announced a new album titled Aufheben. Although not many details on the album have been released, Aufheben is slated for a May 1 release on ‘a’ Records.

The band also released tour dates that start April 27 in Dallas, Texas. The tour dates end on May 12 in Los Angeles at the Wiltern, but a release for the band said that East Coast (and world tour) dates will be posted later."

Brian Jonestown Massacre Spring Tour
April
27 - Dallas, Texas @ Granada Theatre
28 - Houston, Texas @ Fitzgerald’s
29 - Austin, Texas @ Psych Fest

May
3 - Vancouver, B.C. @ The Venue
4 - Seattle, Wash. @ Neptune Theatre
5 - Portland, Ore. @ Wonder Ballroom
8 - Denver, Colo. @ Bluebird Theatre
9 - Salt Lake City, Utah @ Urban Lounge
11 - San Francisco, Calif. @ The Fillmore
12 - Los Angeles, Calif. @ The Wiltern
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Cheers for this Porkchop. These dates look like they may still be subject to change though....I just looked on the Wonder Ballroom (Portland) site and they do have BJM listed but the date they have is May 4. There is another band booked on May 5th.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

2nd line up leak, Meat Puppets confirmed to play
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

21 additional bands announced in a 2nd round:

Meat Puppets
Thee Oh Sees
...And You Will Know Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead (performing selections from Pink Floyd's "Meddle")
The Golden Dawn performing "Power Plant"
Entrance Band
Dead Confederate, Mind Spiders
Asteroid #4
Blue Angel Lounge
Singapore Sling
Wall of Death
Feathers
New Fumes
Feeding People
The Paperhead
Brooklyn Raga Association
The Ripe
Holy Wave
Al Lover
Strangers Family Band
Stepkids
+ performances by special guests

8)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

purespace wrote:21 additional bands announced in a 2nd round:

Meat Puppets
Thee Oh Sees
...And You Will Know Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead (performing selections from Pink Floyd's "Meddle")

+ performances by special guests

8)
The first three are worth the entrance fee alone, although the selections from Meddle gig might be excellent or a train wreck. It'll be interesting whatever happens.....
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

purespace wrote: The Golden Dawn performing "Power Plant"

Cool. Didn't they do this a couple years ago too? I know that Texas psych collector, Kiloh Smith is good friends with George Kinney and he (Kiloh) was instrumental in organizing a Golden Dawn/"Power Plant" reunion a few years ago.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

i find reading this line up more and more depressing... :(

:lol:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I agree Laz... this line up shits all over any of the festivals announced over here so far. If just a few of those bands were on the bill for Greenman, End of the Road or any of the smaller festivals, I would be getting a ticket like a shot. If the line up for next year's Psych Fest is as good as this I'm going to have to give it some serious consideration to go myself.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Hey Purespace.... how was it? I'm sure there were many, but what were the highlights? So, so jealous.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

It was utterly amazing. Highlights (including bands I'd never heard before) were Bombino (set of the festival, had the entire audience grinning like mad bastards), The Orange Revival, Headdress, Psychic Ills, The Band in Heaven, The Paperhead, Pink Mountain Tops, and BJM. The singer of the Telescopes was off his tits lying on the floor for most of the gig laughing and pouring water on his head - - straight out of it. Entrance Band was mostly forgettable and too loud. There's a difference between loud and loud for fucks sake where it sounds like rubbish. Just sayin. Thee Oh Sees were intense as was Singapore Sling. Chatted up Arron of Peaking Lights while we waited for our rental cars at the airport. Ooh, Quest for Fire knocked us both out as well. But yeah, Bombino!!!!

The event site was cool. The new Emo's anchored one end of the complex with a 45 second walk through an outdoor courtyard filled with vendors, art installations, and hang out areas to the Beauty Bar which anchored the far end of the complex (though it's not in the best neighborhood, The Vacant Lots had their gear ripped off from their van). Lots of band members milling about (including Dead Skeletons who had merchandise at the BJM/Asteroid #4 table/scored a shirt). On Sunday, my partner ran off and thought it would be a gas to get his festival shirt signed. He came back with crazy shit from Wooden Shjips, Moon Duo, Alex Mass, Joel Gion, Scott Vitt (A#4), and Anton (who wrote "I ate the Beatles").

Came back with cool vinyl from Mmoss, Secret Colors (special festival pressing #13/50), The Orange Revival, Bombino, and Headdress. Can't wait for next year 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for the report purespace, consider me totally jealous!! I wish they would put something like this on in the UK but it's not gonna happen is it.. most of those bands are American. ah well.

let us know what you think of the albums you got...