Spiriitualized gig, March Manchester academy

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

tabbycats
New user

Spiriitualized gig, March Manchester academy

Post by tabbycats »

Hi there

I am a long term Jason Spaceman fan. I wondered if there were any fans going to the gig on March 25th in Manchester from Leeds that I could maybe meet up with? If it were in Leeds would happily go on my own.

Hope there are some lovely peeps going

tabby cats xx
James T
Known user

Re: Spiriitualized gig, March Manchester academy

Post by James T »

I should be there, but I'm not certain yet because it's my birthday on 26th and maybe I will go on holiday. I will keep you posted so long as you stick around this good part of the internet.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

We're planning to go if the timing works. Got some tickets anyway. I tend to zip in and out of Manchester if I can as I'm not a fan of the place at all.
tabbycats
New user

Post by tabbycats »

Thank you for replys, but is anyone going from Leeds? Runcible, zipping in and out sounds good.

Must make sure I log in regularly as I keep forgetting my password!

xTabby
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Don't be like that, surely you can party for 1 night?
tabbycats
New user

Post by tabbycats »

Sadly James T I really can't party, have a stupid 9am lecture in York on the Monday and to be honest going to a fab gig on a Sunday night is enough excitement for me :-) The first time I saw Spiritualized was in Bath in about 1991 in a small club where all the audience sat down, lazy buggers.....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'll probably be going from the Leeds area unless I'm in that part of the world already - not sure how that weekend is shaping up right now.
tabbycats
New user

Post by tabbycats »

Hello

Last minute attempt TO GET TO SEE JASON Is anyone going from Leeds that could please give me a lift there and back? Will Obviously give petrol money.

many thanks for reading :-)

x
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sorry I can't help - good luck...
Supervim
Known user

Post by Supervim »

We'll be there, coming across from Leeds. Must be I think approaching my 50th Spz gig (though my memory of where and when is very very fuzzy these days)

I have high hopes, though doubt I'll be high. Lets hope it comes down in sheets.
Supervim
Ghost_World
Known user

Post by Ghost_World »

I'll be going tonight. Spending the day with my dad for his birthday then meeting mates later on for the gig. No idea what time I'll get there. Imma looking forward to Spzed! :D
jeff
Known user

Post by jeff »

The band tend to go in Big Hands late bar next to the venue after the gig.
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

Stage time tonight is 8pm.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I didn't realise the bass player is the chap from Starsailor. I hated that band but I'm sure he's a top chap. Will be in big hands after, maybe I will see some of you at some point!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

On train home from gig. Typical MCR Academy gig; crap sound, audience talking loudly and a total absence of atmosphere. Band put in a solid performance, so a good night was had, but I wish people would shut up and just listen to the music.

Lots of people in their Spiritualized t-shirts/ hoodies.....always thought that was no-no
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

olan wrote:On train home from gig. Typical MCR Academy gig; crap sound, audience talking loudly and a total absence of atmosphere. Band put in a solid performance, so a good night was had, but I wish people would shut up and just listen to the music.

Lots of people in their Spiritualized t-shirts/ hoodies.....always thought that was no-no
Way, way, WAY too quiet. The place was like a morgue - atmosphere and temperature - when we got there about 7.45 but things warmed up nicely. Stay With Me was a killer, as was Ladies And Gentlemen, even though the volume / funkiness of the bass made it sound a little like a waltz! Or maybe that was just me. Even though I was stone cold sober!
spikeware
New user

Post by spikeware »

Very enjoyable gig. First I've seen for a while. New bass player was good, especially on I am what am am..think that was the tune anyhow, very swamp blues.. cop shoot cop was an excellent encore. Love so long, it was almost "lighters in the air" anthemic, great guitar from doggen. Only bug bear were the dip sticks screaming to turn the sound up and the relatively low mix of the bass.

Good to see J spaceman looking fit and well, putting his heart and soul into the performance. I'm warming to the new songs and will pick up the lp/cd when its released.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It was good but suffered from the lumpy sound which is the trademark of that venue. Nice to see Electric Mainline coming back in. I missed material from LGM and, although I knew no Spacemen 3 would be in there, I missed it.

Many groups of people chatting loudly for a lot of it - just so odd to catch up with your mates at a gig in that way - and a special mention to the large lad who carefully moved himself so he was 6 inches in front of me blocking my entire view. Still, I have a monstrous cold and I suspect he probably has it too now.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

We got quite close to the front, and the sound seemed ok up there. I am what I am was great, but too short by far! Heading for the top was also wonderful, Doggen's playng on it was insane. I had a great view of him until the very tall guy in front of me inexplicably started to edge backwards into me, leaving a very large space in front of him, and leaving me a great view of his head. Then somebody came up next to us drunkenly jumping about and barging into everyone. Kind of distracting.

All that aside, I thought the first half was great, and it took me right back to pre ladies and gentleman live era, but I did think there was some odd choices in the set list. 4 songs from AG seems a lot when there's sooo many other songs that could be played. I really wanted to like oh baby and rated x, but they don't do it for me, and there seemed to be a definite lull in the set. Of course it would be good to have something from LGM, but also songs in A + E, I've love to hear an electric baby I'm just a fool, or you like you cheat. Its a shame that 12 steps wasn't there.

Great to see them back though and the whole band seemed really into it. Good lights and visuals which helped make up for my soberness!
Marcus
New user

Post by Marcus »

Good show, I thought.

You know what you are in for with The Academy. It's a shame that Manchester lacks a venue between Deaf Institute and The Apollo in size. So, sound and atmosphere vacuum aside, it was a top night. We got close to the stage and made the most of it.

This band are really great. Some good krauty drumming, and some almost Popol Vuh percussion in the slower moments. Jauntier bass than usual. "I Am What I Am" has an old soul funk bass line and it's bugging me. Sounds like something Tribe Called Quest sampled (bear with me on that). Love the way that Jason is quietly urging Doggen to really give it some when the strobes kick in. The odd nod and glance. "She Kissed Me" sounded like AC/DC for a bit. Daft rock n roll and good for it. "Electric Mainline" & "Stay With Me" really stood out, as did "Come Together" which I'd kind of tired of hearing. Loved the big chorus that "So Long" gives way to, and "Hey Jane" already sounds like an old, loved Spiritualized record.

So - not the best of their gigs I've been to, but they set high standards. Still better than nearly everyone else.

(Hello, by the way)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Hi Marcus,

Welcome aboard.

I for got to mention in my post last night that I noticed what looked like a pair of effects microphones on stage, one next to Jason and one next to Doggen. The kind of thing that is usually used to capture the audience response, so I wonder if this was recorded...perhaps for radio broadcast or maybe for b-sides. I started out standing about three rows back near Jason, but got fed up with some ShowSec gorrilla bumping into me repeatedly, so I moved across to watch Doggen for a while. It was too chatty there so I ended up down the back standing between the bar and the mixing desk, where there was plenty of room to get away from the conversations.

It is always great to get to a Spiritualized show. This was the least intense show I've been to since the pre-Festival warmup in Brighton a few summers back. I recall that also having a very early start, which may have contributed to the wierd atmosphere last night.
ElspethYorksMoore
New user

Post by ElspethYorksMoore »

Last edited by ElspethYorksMoore on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Fantastic show. I didn't really mind the volume, I was in a bit of a hungover daze anyway so it was just right. The amount of people shouting "turn it up" was ridiculous, as they were doing it during the quiet bits of the tracks. If they had've shut up, maybe they would have been able to hear?

I was stood a few rows back in front of Doggen. There were a few people from Liverpool refusing to shut up for the 2nd half of the show. I remember he kept shouting "let it be" and "liverpool". He also shouted "have a poo" when one track kicked in. Prick.

Anyway, I thought it was brilliant. Could do without Electricity to be honest though, does my head in a bit. Everything else was perfect. All the new songs sound top notch to my ears, the bass player was really bringing some grooves too. Caught up with a couple of the guys afterwards and a couple of you internet lot, it was a great evening. Thanks for the birthday drinks!

I remember I was talking to that actress samantha morton in big hands after the show, but I just thought I worked with her or something cause I wasn't sure where I recognised her from. She was a nice lass though. Everyone was lovely, had a great night with great people. Top sounds at the show! Jason seemed in a good mood, Kevin said everyone came off stage feeling good about the show which is nice to hear.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Yep its fair to say there were a few idiots in the audience last night. Although the I noticed bass player starting to laugh at some of the shouts last night. I wonder if you can get docked wages if you laugh on stage??

Jealous of the after show bar, sadly had to get back quick last night.
Phobos Pligg
New user

Post by Phobos Pligg »

I completely missed the early start info, thinking I was getting there nice and handy at 8.30 grrrrr, could anybody please furnish me with the info as to what was played prior to 'she kissed me'?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

I was there last night. Right on the barrier in front of Jason and I thought the sound was great. No audience chatter there once they hit the stage. The opener Hey Jane was awesome and around 12 minutes long with blistering lights to go with it. Doggan's work was beyond solid, the new bassist is very good and Jason's vocals were brilliant. Stand outs for me were Hey Jane, I Am What I Am, So Long You Pretty Things, and the brilliance of Cop Shoot Cop...quite surprised Cheapster had been missed though.
To be honest I can't pick a fault with this show. I loved every minute of it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

they played ladies and gentleman? :) sorry to get nerdy, but I think these setlists are the among most changeable that Jason has ever done. I know its only one song here and there, but this is a band who usually have one setlist set in stone and do that again and again!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Is it just me or are these new additions to the set not at the expense of earlier songs on the tour?... it seems the set list is just getting longer! So those who saw them later on in the tour seem to be getting lucky.
Last edited by Shinesalight on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shinesalight wrote:Is it just me are these new additions to the set not at the expense of earlier songs on the tour?... it seems the set list is just getting longer! So those who saw them later on in the tour seemed to be getting lucky.
Well the Manchester date was moved twice so I reckon us northerners deserve a break!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

that's the same setlist as belfast (& prob dublin) except that come together opened the show
was wondering what was going on w/tufty's glasgow boot missing l&g. mystery solved..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Another one, although I can't agree with the comments on Electricity. Thought that was great http://www.peterguy.merseyblogs.co.uk/2 ... chest.html
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wonder if The Twelve Steps has been dropped already?
musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

Would anyone happen to have a recording of this show please? It was an awesome night, my girlfriends first Spiritualized experience (and she loved it) and I'd love to get her a copy of this show for the memories
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

I have 25 photos or so from the gig which I'd be happy to share (some are better than others, but there are a few really good ones). I've tried uploading, but I'm being told I can only have 256kb. Any tips please - that is, if anyone wants to see them!
musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

Sure would! I have a few but no idea how to upload em :? I wish I had taken more since I was right on the barrier infront of Jason but I was lost in the show. The sound was perfect where I was. arrrgghhhh I wana go again :!: lol
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Anyone have any tips on how to help me with this yet?

See two posts previously.....
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Use flickr, a la pilgrimdroveplymouth in his post here: http://www.ideensynthese.de/spiritualiz ... 83#p104828. Flickr is very easy to use and a good way to share photos.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

OK, so it's taken me a while to get round to this, and I know that the photos aren't fantastic, but there's a few reasonable ones in there!

Just used Sendspace, as I even though I'm somewhat of a technological dinosaur, even I can work this out!

Hope these are of at least some vague interest...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ynoq9x
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Further to the photos I uploaded (hope they were of some enjoyment to some of you), I've now also uploaded a video I managed to take of Rated X. Again, I know it's not brilliant, and when watched back, as it was taken in landscape orientation, it has flipped over. I know it's a bit crap, but thought I'd upload it in case anyone wanted to have a look.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6e7x22
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Don't know why but both photos and video appear to no longer be on Sendspace. I thought once they were there, they stayed there, but still....

If anyone wants them reupping, I'll see what I can do.