Radiohead live ticket prices

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

stevelee101
Known user

Radiohead live ticket prices

Post by stevelee101 »

Just wondering if anyone else is a little puzzled / pissed off with the price of Radiohead tickets for their October arena dates? Personally, I'm not a fan but considering their, er, 'political' stance regarding corporations etc. why are tickets £65 (plus the usual add-ons)? As an aside, those paragons of anti-bling austerity Jay Z and Kanye West are playing the MEN in Manchester too, and their top price tickets are 'only' £55. Interesting. :roll:
Greeny
Known user

Re: Radiohead live ticket prices

Post by Greeny »

It is very pricey, particularly as the stage setting is hardly big budget stuff from what I have seen. People were paying over £70 all-in on WASTE this morning and Ticketbastard is hardly going to be cheaper!

Radiohead was going to be my only gig of the year but to be honest I'm not sure I actually want to cough an easy three figure sum (ticket+travel+cheap hotel in London+food+booze) for the privilege...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Radiohead had a real hard on for Detroit. They refused to play here for over a decade. They would only play outdoorsy, non union places. Now they are playing basketball arenas and added Detroit(well suburban Detroit).
It does strike me as odd they are playing arenas at a time when their popularity is clearly on the decline over here(US). And charging a shitload for the tix in the process.
I wouldnt go for free. Somehow Ticketmaster would mange a $20 "convenience" fee even if the tix were free.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Stuff like this makes me so glad I am not into music too close to the mainstream. Prices are much cheaper! A few years ago the Rocket 10th birthday party - 6 bands, 6 hours, £6. And The Heads headlined it with White Hills on the bill too.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Radiohead is probably the ONLY band I have ever seen play a huge stage/venue and somehow still manage to sound awesome. The three shows that come off the top of my head (Alpine Valley, WI - Hail To The Thief, Grant Park, Chicago - Kid A and Lollapalooza, Chicago - In Rainbows) were all absolutely killer. I will probably skip their Chicago show this year, simply because of the time commitment and the cost, but as far as I'm concerned, they are a sure thing as far as a live show goes, no matter what the venue is.

I was also lucky enough to see them at Metro (500 capacity) for The Bends, before they got huge.

Also, Alan, I'm not sure what you mean about their popularity waning in the US. I don't see that.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Perhaps that quote is from someone with Detroit tinted glasses.
Here they seem to have peaked with Kid A. They were on the verge of being massive.
I just dont see nearly as big a buzz about them around here and haven't for ages. Purely based on record shops I go into.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

runcible wrote:Stuff like this makes me so glad I am not into music too close to the mainstream. Prices are much cheaper! A few years ago the Rocket 10th birthday party - 6 bands, 6 hours, £6. And The Heads headlined it with White Hills on the bill too.
Without getting all rose-tinted, I just think it's a bit harder to find what you'd call real 'underground' gigs, since all sorts of utter morons have started going to see bands since it has, apparently, become so achingly fashionable. Even though lots of them neither watch nor listen to said bands. Small, quality, DIY gigs / promoters are still out there, working away for love not money. Support them - if they go, we're all fucked.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

radiohead's popularity seems to be pretty much bulletproof at this point. it seems like after releasing 'the king of limbs' this has finally been confirmed and makes now an ideal time for them to launch an american stadium tour. they might as well- at least they aren't charging as much as most bands that do arena tours and every time i've seen them they've always put on a great show. that said i'm probably not going to their show here- the last time i saw them was at red rocks in 2001 and i was in the 5th row (a friend got the tickets- i've almost always had horrible luck with these things), so it's probably not going to get any better than that.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Radiohead's Seattle arena concert sold out in a nanosecond. As I told Paul, my days seeing this band are far over. I too am fortunate enough to have seen them before they hit stardom. These days I can't bring myself to spend the money to sit in a basketball arena.

That said, I am taking my son to see Iron Maiden this summer up near Seattle. But, they are playing an outdoor venue and we got really good tickets. It's for his 12th birthday and the memories he will have will live with him forever. That to me seems worth the price.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

In the end I didn't bite.

Sometime later this year, when the missus and lad are away at her parents, I'll grab the best bootleg from their US tour, stick it on my (pretty powerful) stereo at good volume, line up a chair in the perfect audio spot in the room and enjoy that with a nice bottle of red.. saving myself £200 and a lot of hassle in the process...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the prices do seem ridiculously high, plus the venues are probably the most soulless they could have chosen.
it was a similar price tag that put me off the Roses reunion.

however I will reiterate this:
TheWarmth wrote:Radiohead is probably the ONLY band I have ever seen play a huge stage/venue and somehow still manage to sound awesome.
I've seen the band twice, both at big outdoor shows and both times they were extremely sonically impressive. and this is coming from myself, who isn't even that much of a big fan.
spzranger
Known user

Post by spzranger »

Wanted to go but not at price. Just got tickets for bjm at shepherd's bush empire and they were £15 each. Plus we won't be a mile from the stage.
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

Wanted to go to Manchester and even though it was a tight moment in the month I was bracing myself for £45-50 a ticket.

£70, fuck off. A few years ago they were giving their album away for a penny.

Yes, they can play anywhere and destroy the place, even at venues where most bands fail (SECC, Glasgow Green, Meadowbank Stadium) but that price is totally unreasonable.
steveosiris
New user

Post by steveosiris »

stevelee101 wrote:Just wondering if anyone else is a little puzzled / pissed off with the price of Radiohead tickets for their October arena dates? Personally, I'm not a fan but considering their, er, 'political' stance regarding corporations etc. why are tickets £65 (plus the usual add-ons)? As an aside, those paragons of anti-bling austerity Jay Z and Kanye West are playing the MEN in Manchester too, and their top price tickets are 'only' £55. Interesting. :roll:
While they are a little pricey, they do give away their albums for free, and touring is basically the only way they can make money. And although they are expensive, I promise you it will be a musical experience unlike anything else you have ever seen, even if you are not a big fan of the music. I hope you are able to get the money to get a ticket because they are awesome live. :)